IFSA: University College London Partnership

London Lights
Night walks on the Thames were my favourite
Friends that I made because of IFSA-Butler!
Adventure weekend in Wales where we went gorge scrambling
The Changing of the Guard Ceremony
The Changing of the Guard Ceremony
Study Abroad in England with IFSA-Butler
Study Abroad in England with IFSA-Butler

If you are looking to immerse yourself in a city that is a melting pot of various languages and cultures, look no further than London. University College London is the oldest and largest institution with the University of London federation. UCL is one of the best universities in the world, consistently ranking among the top 20 in various world rankings. It also has an active students' union with a modern theatre, vibrant arts scene, and plenty of clubs/societies to keep you busy while abroad. With so much happening on campus (and being in the heart of the city!), you are sure to have one of the most memorable experiences of your life.

IFSA Scholarships
IFSA Scholarships and Financial Aid

We believe that study abroad should be within reach of every student, so we offer a wide range of scholarships and funding opportunities for all our participants.

$500 - $2,500

Noah

Why I enjoyed IFSA's program

I would say IFSA was a unique program because it gave students the freedom to explore and be apart of the city and country however we wanted while also provided a backbone to fall back on if needed. There events in and around London and the weekend trip to Lake District national park showed a commitment to teaching while also recognizing that were all college students who just want to hang out.

I was also really happy with their support system. When professors went on strike that semester, IFSA providing tutoring and other support systems for anyone who needed it. Though I did not take advantage, I appreciated how much they cared for the students in a rough situation.

Overall I really enjoyed my experience. I really enjoyed the classes I took at UCL, and being on the IFSA program led me to meeting new people not just from London but from around the US as well, many of whom I now consider to be good friends. Also, this goes without saying, but London is an incredible city, and I wouldn't have wanted my abroad experience in any other place.

Being in single housing so close to campus was nice, but being in first year housing was a bit odd at times. Those of us in the program were also placed in housing that was all around the city, which made it hard to meet up sometimes, but again not the worst thing in the world.
Nicolas

Devastatingly Good

I got better at research paper writing. I was taught how to use quantitative and qualitative research methods. This is a great experience to have. Also, I got to interact with people from many cultures, which was amazing. Academically I learned a lot; however, I had plenty of spare time to travel around Europe, explore London, and go out with friends. UCL is one of the best universities in the world, and the people that you meet there are absolutely amazing. London is one of the most fun cities I have ever been to. IFSA makes the whole experience absolutely amazing by complementing your trip with a lot of fun activities that allow you to meet people. Moreover, you always feel that someone is taking care of you. IFSA + UCL = perfection

it's amazing
Hannah

IFSA Butler UCL

Great location to study abroad, school is rigorous and can be a bit overwhelming. IFSA was a great program to go through and they put on amazing activities throughout the semester abroad. The best trip is to the Lake District. One of my favorite trips throughout my entire time abroad. Highly, highly recommend the program. IFSA is an awesome program to use for any location in which you wish to study!

Nifemi

IFSA-Butler review

I studied at the University College London (UCL) for one semester. The semester was arguably one of the best times of my life. I learned a lot about other cultures, my culture, a different education system and the world at large. I was privileged to travel to about 7 countries throughout my time abroad and each experience was unique and enriching.
UCL is an academically rigorous school just like my homeschool Rice but it was interesting to see how the different the rigor was because of the different systems.
I would recommend studying abroad 100% to anyone.

More support
Jessica

IFSA Butler is fantastic for study abroad!

IFSA Butler was supportive and welcoming throughout my abroad experience. I really appreciated having people at IFSA to call when I had questions or concerns during my application process. Once abroad, the London staff fulfilled many roles for me. They acted as my academic advisors-- alleviating my concerns about exams and assessments, answering questions about reading lists and content, and checking in on my progress throughout the semester. They were event organizers, planning weekend trips to different parts of England. They functioned as a family away from home, too -- hosting holiday parties and meeting for tea on campus. They knew my name, my courses, my travel plans. IFSA was more than just a study abroad program because in addition to coordinating my study abroad logistically, they also supported me personally.

Sam

Amazing

I can't recommend IFSA Butler more highly. Really amazing staff, service, programs, and support throughout the process. I'm sure other programs offer similar services, but I don't think they could possibly offer such wonderful, caring people. You're resident advisors will become your friends, and you'll be sad they can't go out with you. Lynne and Andrew are bomb. I wish I could do it again. Make sure you go on the adventure weekend in Wales, one of the most fun times I've ever had.

Brienna

IFSA Butler was amazing!

IFSA-Butler was so helpful, it made my first experience abroad flawless! The staff is supportive, helpful, and compassionate. Plus, the freebies of an adventure weekend, day trips, and tea times were great. I really enjoyed UCL, it's a lot like a large, public institution in the states (Go CATS!). Words cannot describe how much I loved it!

I wish we could have gone to Stonehenge & Bath as a group? Other than that, I don't think it could have gone any better, personally.
Justin

Fun - even if you're broke

London has everything you could ever want in a city and in life. Could I have gotten more out of it if I had more money? Of course, but it was still a great experience living in London poor. Great practice for living on my own after college - much more independence than at home.

Reimburse travel for students who need to visit the office! Also, share prices of common items at local supermakets so students can know what to expect in budgeting for food.

Staff Interviews

About Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA)

The Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to...