Summer Study Abroad in Oxford, England

Oxford Royale Academy
Oxford Royale Academy
Our attempt to take a picture with everyone in the air!
Our attempt to take a picture with everyone in the air!
Punting with Friends
Digital Scavenger Hunt Day!

Our Oxford Summer School is our longest running and most popular study option, with programs guaranteed to pique the interest of any student aged 8-25. From Engineering to Law, and Medicine to Creative Writing, our two-week courses are ideal for students seeking to hone existing academic skills or to discover something new.

For the duration of their stay in Oxford, students are resident in either a constituent college of the University of Oxford or Yarnton Manor, our very own Jacobean manor house a few minutes’ drive from the city centre. Both offer unparalleled facilities and a quintessentially English environment in which to live and work.

At ORA we pride ourselves on our vibrant international mix, bringing intellectually curious individuals from all over the world together as a fun, friendly community. Last summer we welcomed students from over 100 different nationalities, and we look forward to repeating this achievement in 2018!

• Unparalleled Academically Prestigious Venues
  • Live in a 17th-century manor house or a top UK boarding school
  • Join students from all over the world
  • An exciting cultural and recreational program to complement your studies
  • A recipient of the highest accolade for British businesses

• Program Selection 10
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 10
Filipa

The best decision you'll ever make

I went to Oxford not really sure what to expect from the program... It all felt too good to be true... All the promotional videos I had watched and all the reviews I had read weren't enough to paint a picture of what it was like to spend 2 weeks in Oxford studying what I liked with people from all over the world. But as soon as I arrived to my college I had people right outside the campus ready to help me!! It was unreal!! I couldn't have asked for better staff, teachers, program and even food!
I was once reading the reviews and asking myself whether or not it was worth it... And after the experience, I can say that the only thing I regret is that I didn't spend more time there! As soon as I left the college I realized how precious all of the moments I spent there were... So my advice to you is to take advantage of every moment and record them in your memory, don't be shy and make friends with everyone you possibly can! I still talk with people from Italy, Germany, Ireland and even Brazil.
Applying to ORA will be the best decision you'll ever make!!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The typical English Breakfast for sure! Not uses to it but after those 2 weeks I spent in Oxford, I couldn't stop thinking about those "Hash Browns"
Danae

My Experience at ORA 2019

The two weeks I spent at Oxford Royale Academy were undoubtedly two of the best weeks of my summer. The course was, expectedly, academically stimulating, but also included cultural experiences which I would not have been able to enjoy had I not attended. The classes were taught by exceptional teachers, and gave me the opportunity to explore areas of academia not traditionally covered by a secondary school syllabus, but in which I had an interest. Meeting new people allowed me to expand my worldview, as well as make some friends. We were given the freedom to explore the city as we desired, but still felt safe and looked after the entire time. Visiting colleges, tourist attractions, and even museums provided an abundance of things to do in our free time. Optional events also occurred daily, from subject specific discussions, to sports activities, social events, a debate, and even advice on university applications. Overall, the course was a holistic academic, and cultural experience and something I would highly recommend.

Nadia

Oxford Summer Program at Lady Margaret Hall

I went to Oxford expecting what a normal summer course would be like, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much the program exceeded my expectations. The academical side of the program was very stimulating, the classes were small and very interactive. The teachers listened to our ideas and opinions and replied with valuable advice. We had a lot of freedom to explore Oxford, as well as enough activities to keep us busy if we wanted to stay on campus. The staff were all very friendly and more than willing to help with anything that we needed. I received a lot of information about UK Universities, which is very helpful when the time comes to apply to universities. I would recommend this program for anyone seeking a stimulating environment to spend their summer.

nikiwe

Oxford Royale Academy 2019, Fantastic!

The city of dreaming spires is amazing and so is Oxford Royale Academy’s summer school. I made life-long friends from all around the world, spoke in different languages and appreciated diverse cultures. I really enjoyed my time at the magnificent manor house in Yarnton, Oxford shire. Everyone was friendly and all the staff welcomed us very warmly. I would love to return just to try out new courses because there is a wide range to choose from. I studied law, and this exciting course paved the way for more opportunities. It pushed me out of my comfort zone and made me realize that the world is my oyster. The teachers were passionate about their subjects too. I am grateful to ORA and I highly recommend this summer school program for a life-changing and great experience.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Solo traveling for the first time abroad was quite daunting, but the staff were very welcoming and made me feel at home!
Moussa

An Unforgettable Summer

My experience with ORA this summer was an exceptional one. I was awarded a full scholarship by ORA to attend its two-weeks Broadening Horizons Program, where I took courses on Political Science, Medical Biology, and Public Speaking & Debate. This program's academic depth and outstanding flexibility provided me with invaluble skills on each subject; and, most importantly, it gave me the confidence to make the choice to pursue a liberal degree--in social sciences and the humanities--rather than a scientific degree. This was a turning point in my life, which would have never been possible without the amazing ORA professors. The professors were amazing and their guidance was invaluble. The memories made and the knowledge gained were life-changing and they will forever motivate me to pursue my academic dreams and fullfill my true potential.

Lilia

Summer school in Oxford

My experience in ORA is unforgettable. I had an amazing time learning new things and making friends from all around the world. I enjoyed being at one of the best universities in the world.
I loved everyone there. The staff was really nice and helpful. My teacher was such a good teacher. I learned alot of things from her. My classmates were nice aswell.
It is definetely one of the best experience of my life. I had so much fun visiting new places, making new friends, shopping, eating different food, learning new things from other people who think differently, making memories.
This experience inspired me to always be the best I can and always try new things. If i was asked to do it again, I would do it again anytime.
It is definetely an experience to remember.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would definetely be less shy and try to talk to more people. Don't be nervous.
Chloe

Broadening Horizons Summer 2019

Oxford Royale Academy has been one of the most enriching, nurturing and unforgettable experiences I have ever had. It gave me the unique opportunity to study and live in my dream uni and in one of the top universities in the world. I had the chance to meet incredible people that will forever have a place in my heart, work with the friendliest team and teachers ever and broaden my horizons at all levels. I also got the chance to see the city of Oxford in a special way, alongside doing many activities and sightseeing. Those two weeks taught me more about myself and my capacities than anything else. It is surprising how much one experience can leave such an impact on you, modifying your plans, and your whole life. ORA you made summer 2019 the best one yet!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I was quite nervous about boarding on this experience alone, and having to meet and live with strangers from different cultures for the entire 2 weeks. However, once you are there, everything becomes easier and the people I met there are the most fantastic people I have had in my entire life.
Read my full story
Dennis

Summer Business and Enterprise Course at Oxford Royale Academy(Yarnton Manor Campus)

My experience at Oxford Royale Academy was amazing. I got the opportunity to meet interesting people from different backgrounds, who are good in academics and extra-curricular activities. I did a summer program on Business and Enterprise at the Yarnton Manor Campus. I learned a lot from the program and acquired practical business skills that applied to real-life situations. My time there was fun, and we had various sports such as Frisbee, Football, Badminton, and board games to pass some free time. We also had exciting evenings with talent shows, debates, movie nights,e.t.c. The program also organized various trips to many touristic attractions in Oxford and some other nearby cities. I recommend this program for anyone who wants to have the academics without losing the fun and freedom of meeting new people from diverse communities.

It is essential to be open-minded and considerate of others as you will be living in an international community with diverse cultures.
Ridhi

My experience with ORA

Oxford Royale Academy summer school has provided me with an experience that has helped shape my personality, memories that I will cherish forever and friends from all over the world. This summer was like no other. Staying alone for 15 days, learning from the best tutors, making international friends, learning to be independent and gaining an insight into real college life, there has not been much I haven't tried out this summer.
Writing this review causes me to reminiscence about my time at Oxford and my heart aches with a sweet nostalgia as I try to remember the happy blur in which the two weeks went by. All in all, I would recommend this summer school to anyone who wishes to go out there to get a glimpse of the real world and spread their wings a little.

To future travellers who are undertaking this course, the only advice I can give is to shed all your inhibitions and be yourself. You will meet people unlike yourselves but in an attempt to befriend them do not lose your own individuality because after these two weeks no one will remember you for who you tried to be but who you were.
Joy

Oxford Royale Academy Experience

This past summer I had the incredible opportunity to attend a session at the Oxford Royale Academy at Queens College in Oxford University where I did the broadening horizons course. This meant that I had the great privilege of being taught two subjects (Medical biology and Mathematics) of my choosing as well as an afternoon workshop (Global issues) by well-accredited teachers which was extremely rewarding. Moreover, being able to live in such a beautiful city while studying in such a prestigious college makes this course extraordinarily special. Additionally, we were provided with various opportunities to partake in a multitude of exciting activities such as punting, real tennis, karaoke nights and tours around the city and illustrious colleges like Christ College which only made enhanced this experience.
The aforementioned collectively with the friendly and supportive staff and student body ensured a fantastic two weeks full of learning and challenging myself, gaining new experiences and meeting and forming friendships with wonderful people from around the world. Definitely two weeks I will remember forever!

Steffie-Ann

Oxford Royale Academy review

ORA was a once in a life-time opportunity, that has fulfilled me with and incredible and inspiring experience. Throughout the two weeks, I was able to meet so many different people and learn about their different cultures, whilst studying in an absolutely beautiful and historic environment. The staff at ORA are very welcoming and nice towards the students and made the stay during the two weeks that much more enjoyable. The teaching also was excellent and the engineering preparation course was very resourceful, and has greatly inspired and motivated me to continue working hard in my future studies. Overall I am absolutely grateful for this experience, it has given me an incredible insight of what university life is like, and I will always continue to carry forward the memories I made.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Absolutely nothing. I loved everything and every moment at ORA
Ema

Broadening Horizons at Queen's College

This year I got the opportunity to spend two weeks at Queen's College in Oxford. I chose Broadening Horizons and the following subjects: Experimental Psychology, Medical Biology and Academic Writing. I was not disappointed with my choice.
The overall program is very organized and every single detail is thought-out. The staff was helpful at all times and our free time compared to the time we spent in class was balanced.
There were so many activities we could choose to do during our free time - from punting, ice skating, workshops, debates and even homework club where we could work on our essays.
As for the classes, it was challenging to observe certain topics from a different perspective. Thankfully, my teachers were kind and helpful.
I would recommend this programme to any student, because it offers a perfect blend of education and fun!

Don't be scared to speak up in class! Share your ideas. Join group activities as much as you can. And never bring your valuables when you go punting.
Beatriz

An enriching experience

Oxford Royale Academy was an unforgettable experience for me. During my stay (4th - 17th August) in The Queen's College in Oxford I got to study two subjects I didn't have the opportunity of learning before: Political Science & International Relations, and English Literature, all while meeting people from all corners of the world and making very permanent friendships. Also, I was able to participate in the Leadership and Teambuilding workshop, which was very fun and enriching. After 3 or 4.5 hours of lessons each day, we had the day pretty much for ourselves. But we never got bored, because we had a lot of extra activities in the afternoon, and often you could choose the ones you wished to do the most. Everyone who worked there (counselours, teachers, cooks, cleaning staff, etc.) were super friendly, very attentive and professional. The room where I stayed was very nice, as well as the college itself. It was a dream come true, and I felt like an Oxford student all the time. I am very glad I got to attend this program. I would definitely recommend this experience to any student.

Safiatou

Oxford Royale Academy Experience

During my school year, ORA reached out to my school about a scholarship opportunity. I immediately took the opportunity. I won it thank God, and it was an experience that I will never forget.

When I first got to Oxford, I was a taken aback a little bit. I quickly went to put my bags down in my room (the rooms were really nice must I add at Queens college), and I entered the cafeteria. I was immediately hit with so much diversity, if I can say that. I heard Spanish, French, Russian, Chinese, and so many other languages. There were people from all around the world with different backgrounds and it was really easy to connect to people because of that.

Something about ORA that I absolutely loved is how they make everything about students. Their priority is the students, from the simplest things as planning activities for us, to allowing us to change our classes in the middle of the first week. They push to make us feel comfortable, and take into account everything we say. The counsellors are always available to us, and what made them special is that there was at least one counsellor who everyone related to during our program. Thats one thing that makes ORA stand out from other summer programs.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I did at Oxford was dance in the middle of the streets at night with my friends.

Everyone was in a bad mood, and I decided to turn some music on to lighten up the mood. It worked, and eventually everyone was dancing as we walked to town and back. Surprisingly, another group of girls on the other side of the street started dancing to the song we were playing, and it really just had this amazing vibe. I never expected myself to dance in the streets of Oxford. Some people looked at us like we were crazy, others smiled and encouraged us.
Livia

My summer at ORA

This year I spent two weeks of my summer, from June 23rd to July 6th, at Yarntorn Manor, a very characteristic England building just 30 minutes away from Oxford city centre. Because I took the Broadening Horizons course, I had to choose two main subjects and an afternoon class. I decided to take the Business Finance and Management classes in the morning, and the Leadership and Teambuilding course in the afternoon. I chose these two subjects because I don’t have the possibility to study them at school but I’ve been always interested in founding out more about global business and how to set up and organize big companies. Although I’ve never studied these subjects before I’ve learnt a lot about both of them thanks to the very passionate and skilled teachers who were always ready to help. ORA’s staff was also very nice and the counsellors were always proposing new activities to the students. During these two weeks I met people from all over the world with completely different cultural and social backgrounds and we were able to create strong and long-lasting friendships.
In conclusion, I think that I’ve spent two of the most unforgettable and amazing weeks in my life and I am very thankful to Oxford Royale Academy to let me attending this outstanding and unique program.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment during the two weeks I spent at ORA was the hour before my businness finance class final presentation. I was very nervous because it was the first time for me presenting a case study all reaserched by me and my group memebers.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Oxford Royale Academy

Founded in 2004, Oxford Royale Academy is an award- winning provider of residential summer courses, headquartered in the ancient university city of Oxford. We are committed to providing academic excellence and superlative teaching standards to...