IFSA: University of Oxford Partnership

Study at one of the world's most prestigious universities and dive into your discipline with Oxford's tutorial system! Oxford is a member of the prestigious Russell Group (similar to the Ivy League) of major research universities in the United Kingdom. You will be a Visiting Student at a specific college, and will focus your studies on your major and minor subjects, and these classic tutorial-based courses allow you to delve deeply into your subject area, in a one-on-one setting.

IFSA Scholarships
IFSA Scholarships and Financial Aid

We believe that study abroad should be within reach of every student, so we offer a wide range of scholarships and funding opportunities for all our participants.

$500 - $2,500

Anna

Truly life-changing

My time at Oxford through IFSA truly changed my life for the better. The program is an incredibly unique opportunity to immerse yourself in incredibly rigorous academics, work one-on-one with experts in your respective field, receive the benefits of and be treated as a full-time student at Oxford, and throw yourself into a revered culture. Yet, for all the intimidating focus on a rich history in academia, Oxford (and IFSA's efforts to accommodate you) makes for a very welcoming, supportive environment.

I really enjoyed the way that this program pushed me outside my comfort zone while maintaining a sense of helpful encouragement. I never felt like my hand was being held, but everyone involved in this Visiting Student program really made an effort to check in on you, point you in the right directions, and make sure you were getting the most out of your experience. On top of that, the student community is incredibly welcoming--the university is fairly multicultural, so visiting students are not the only ones coming in from different countries and cultures, and full-time students really make an effort to befriend and include you. This supportive environment was very important to me while being away from home in a foreign place for an extended period of time!

Some of the specifics that you will get out of this program come from the ability to tailor your academic experience and take full advantage of all student benefits. The tutorial system allows you to handpick which areas of study you wish to explore, making for very unique learning that is completely dictated by you and your tutor. The work is, essentially, graduate-level but very rewarding, and your resources within the university are endless. Additionally, students have access to numerous lectures, talks, seminars, and other academic aids that are definitely worth taking full advantage of. Not to mention the extra-curriculars--Oxford has a ton of clubs, sports, trips, formals, dinners, common rooms, famous speakers, shows, museums, parks, and activities to partake in! In this program, you can join any of those even as a visiting student. I rowed for my college and played baseball for the university, which was really fun and a great way to make friends.

Aside from organized events through the program, living alongside the full-time students lets you have a very fun social life. It is really great to be fully immersed with them, and I made a lot of friends just by using our shared kitchen in housing, going to meals in hall together, or hanging out in my college's common room. There is definitely a work-hard, play-hard mentality--students were quick to invite me out clubbing during the week, to grab a pint at some of the local pubs, or to go to formal cocktail hours. While there are definitely a lot more champagne and black tie events mixed in than at my home university, the social scene is not lacking in the slightest!

Overall, IFSA's program at Oxford is an incredible experience. I absolutely loved my time there and am still reaping the benefits today. Not only is it a great talking point on your resume, but the skills I gained have carried into how I conduct myself every day. I am more confident, independent, and willing to throw myself into hard work. Very highly recommend it!

What was your funniest moment?
The other visiting students and I planned a night in October to carve pumpkins and celebrate Halloween--something that Brits don't really do. Some of the full-time students wanted to join in on the tradition, and one was very impressed with our pumpkin-carving abilities. He asked me if we practice, and I told him that we did get some because everyone carves pumpkins every year. He misunderstood me and asked if Americans practice carving pumpkins year-round just to prepare for Halloween! They all thought we took the holiday that seriously.
Noor

Worthy experience "I wouldn't trade it for the world"

To be honest, I was planning to study abroad in 2019 or 2020, which will be my senior year as an undergraduate student. Unfortunately, during Fall 2017, I went through some challenges that required some extra time and energy so my results were not up to my normal standards. This temporarily affected my confidence. After all that, I decided to challenge myself to prove that I can accomplish much more than my previous expectations. I was trying to find something that would give me my power and confidence back. Then, I found out that studying abroad at Oxford University which is one of the greatest universities in the world, is the most challenging thing that I could do during the summer. I was confidently sure that the experience will re-charge up my ideas with positivity and will help me prove my method in the possibility and existence for all our dreams; excitingly, it did!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would manage my time to be more balanced between sightseeing and study/research time.
Lily

Greater academic confidence, beautiful campus, resonant friendships

My friends tried to dissuade me from applying to Oxford--they warned me of the academic pressures, and said that I wouldn't enjoy my time there. I applied anyways because I like a good challenge, and I'm so glad I went.

During my two terms at Oxford, I took my primary tutorial in math, and my secondary in French. I didn't love the tutorial system for math, since I would've liked more lectures and peers to work with, but tutorials worked incredibly well for French. Reading so many dense texts and synthesizing my own ideas gave me the confidence to pursue a French thesis my senior year. I actually ended up writing a thesis in math as well, since I felt confident in my ability to tackle independent study after Oxford.

The campus/town is so stunning, so walking around always lifted my spirits, even when I was stressed. I loved my living situation, though it was a bit far (15-20 min walk from my college). I was put in a house with other international students, and we grew very close. I didn't actually make any good local friends due to the independence of the classes and my living situation, but I still stay in touch with my visiting student friends. I did participate in the Oxford University Orchestra for one term, and did a few practices with the triathlon club. One thing to note is that clubs always cost extra at Oxford, and membership to the main gym as well.

I would highly recommend this program--IFSA really makes sure you're supported and plans many fun events. Andrew, the director, would visit weekly and meet us for tea and pastries or ice cream. There's also a wonderful trip to Lake District, which is such a stunning mountainous region.

I wish we knew more about our housing beforehand, and also knew that clubs/university gym membership would cost extra.