IFSA: University of Oxford Partnership

Study at one of the world's most prestigious universities and dive into your discipline with Oxford's tutorial system! Oxford is a member of the prestigious Russell Group (similar to the Ivy League) of major research universities in the United Kingdom. You will be a Visiting Student at a specific college, and will focus your studies on your major and minor subjects, and these classic tutorial-based courses allow you to delve deeply into your subject area, in a one-on-one setting.

Noor

Worthy experience "I wouldn't trade it for the world"

To be honest, I was planning to study abroad in 2019 or 2020, which will be my senior year as an undergraduate student. Unfortunately, during Fall 2017, I went through some challenges that required some extra time and energy so my results were not up to my normal standards. This temporarily affected my confidence. After all that, I decided to challenge myself to prove that I can accomplish much more than my previous expectations. I was trying to find something that would give me my power and confidence back. Then, I found out that studying abroad at Oxford University which is one of the greatest universities in the world, is the most challenging thing that I could do during the summer. I was confidently sure that the experience will re-charge up my ideas with positivity and will help me prove my method in the possibility and existence for all our dreams; excitingly, it did!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would manage my time to be more balanced between sightseeing and study/research time.
Lily

Greater academic confidence, beautiful campus, resonant friendships

My friends tried to dissuade me from applying to Oxford--they warned me of the academic pressures, and said that I wouldn't enjoy my time there. I applied anyways because I like a good challenge, and I'm so glad I went.

During my two terms at Oxford, I took my primary tutorial in math, and my secondary in French. I didn't love the tutorial system for math, since I would've liked more lectures and peers to work with, but tutorials worked incredibly well for French. Reading so many dense texts and synthesizing my own ideas gave me the confidence to pursue a French thesis my senior year. I actually ended up writing a thesis in math as well, since I felt confident in my ability to tackle independent study after Oxford.

The campus/town is so stunning, so walking around always lifted my spirits, even when I was stressed. I loved my living situation, though it was a bit far (15-20 min walk from my college). I was put in a house with other international students, and we grew very close. I didn't actually make any good local friends due to the independence of the classes and my living situation, but I still stay in touch with my visiting student friends. I did participate in the Oxford University Orchestra for one term, and did a few practices with the triathlon club. One thing to note is that clubs always cost extra at Oxford, and membership to the main gym as well.

I would highly recommend this program--IFSA really makes sure you're supported and plans many fun events. Andrew, the director, would visit weekly and meet us for tea and pastries or ice cream. There's also a wonderful trip to Lake District, which is such a stunning mountainous region.

I wish we knew more about our housing beforehand, and also knew that clubs/university gym membership would cost extra.

About Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA)

The Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to...