IES Abroad Multi-Location Summer - Museums & Beyond

Why study abroad in one great European city during the summer when you can explore the cultural heritage of Paris, Rome, and Madrid? This seven-week program offers a unique opportunity to examine how art and architecture have affected urban development, life, and culture in three fascinating European capitals.

Start your program in Paris, where you'll begin to appreciate how these cities have developed around the central idea of cultural heritage and patrimony. It's here you'll start your two cross-center courses that will then take you to Rome and Madrid for two weeks in each city.

Maya

Art Art Art (and other fun things!)

During the summer of 2017 I had the opportunity to participate in two intensive, 300 level museology / art history courses in Paris, Rome, and Madrid. I studied with European professors and experts in their respective fields. We visited the most prestigious museums and archaeological sites in Europe, along with many museums I would classify as hidden gems. I learned how each city is a museum in and of itself, and how to view the display of cultural heritage with a critical eye.
My study abroad experience exceeded my expectations in so many ways. I was surprised at how fluidly we were integrated into the neighborhoods where we lived in in each city. Even though we were only in each city for about 2 weeks, it truly felt like I was moving out of my own apartment each time we left to travel to the next city. I feel like I have a connection to these residential neighborhoods that I probably would never have encountered had I traveled to the city on my own as a tourist.
As someone who aspires to work with art and cultural heritage for the rest of my life, this experience opened my eyes to the function of these objects in our society. Despite my own interest in the subject, everyone I was with on this program had a different reason for being there. I believe that anyone could benefit from and enjoy this program, and encourage you to consider it.

Communication between the professors and staff in the different cities could be improved.
Kelly Crewse
Kelly

Seven Weeks in Art History Heaven

My time abroad can easily be described as the most amazing experience of my life. It's scary, of course, to commit to seven weeks in three separate countries, but it was so worth it. Learning about the art and histories of Paris, Rome, and Madrid were simply some of the most amazing educational experiences I could have asked for, and immersing myself into the cultures of these bustling cities was also incredibly important for my own world views and self growth. There's no need for textbooks and glossy printed pictures of masterpieces when you can have class with the artwork itself. Truly amazing and I am forever grateful for this program and the opportunities it gave me.

More optional field trips on the weekends -- if they were organized by the program, I would have definitely paid to go on those as well!

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...