IFR: Ireland - Blackfriary Field School

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Institute for Field Research.

The Blackfriary Community Archaeology Project is a unique, hands-on opportunity for students to excavate the buried remains of a 13th century Dominican friary in the town of Trim, County Meath, Ireland. By ascertaining who was buried at the Black Friary, where they were buried and when, the bioarchaeological research will inform our understanding of the long-term relationship between the local townspeople and the friary. For more information visit the field school website.

Charlotte

Blackfriary

IFR itself was great! I loved the site that I was working at and I had such an amazing experience in Ireland!
I could have used a little more guidance with the process of making travel arrangements and the application process was not very user-friendly, but I was able to figure everything out!
Overall, I think field schools are incredible experiences and would recommend that everyone try to have a study abroad experience!!

Make the application process more user-friendly and make sure all of the hosts are ready and able to receive study abroad students.

About Institute for Field Research

The Institute for Field Research (IFR) was created in March 2011 by a group of leading academic archaeologists. Operating as an independent, nonprofit academic organization has allowed us to break down traditional institutional barriers and deliver...