CAPA Florence: Study & Intern Abroad

Definitely a sight worth seeing
Definitely a sight worth seeing
The Ponte Vecchio from the top floor of the Uffizi
View from the Boboli Gardens
North side of the city over the Arno
CAPA provided trip to Siena and San Gimignano!

An enchanting, awe-inspiring and culturally rich global city, Florence has been a favorite study abroad destination for decades, and with good reason. You’ll eat more gelato than you ever dreamed was possible, see some of the most elegant street style in the world, walk through the secret rooms at Palazzo Vecchio, soak up the deeply engrained history that flows through each distinct neighborhood, admire much of the world’s most treasured artwork up close, and hike in the breathtaking Tuscan hills.

The CAPA Florence program is in our own center, inside of a 15th century palazzo with original frescoes on the ceilings. Our distinctive blend of academic and experiential education takes your learning style, interests, preferences and independence into consideration. You’ll learn both inside the classroom and beyond, with field studies, excursions, My Global City events, and an (optional) internship placement.

CAPA Scholarships
CAPA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Each year, we award $1.5 million in study abroad scholarships, grants and affiliate benefits!

$500 - $5,000

Hi! We were unable to find the answer to your question! As a next step try reaching out to the program provider to learn more about internship placements. This link will take you right to their contact info: https://info.capa.org/go-overseas-capa-florence-program.

No, the current programs offering are Global Cities, Global Business Institute and Italian Language.

Diego

A Semester in Italy

Personally, I believe that Italy is arguably the most beautiful country in the world just within its borders one can find countless beaches, beautiful Tuscan hills, stunning mountain ranges, and everything in between. That being said, spending 3 months abroad in Florence, Italy was one of the best experiences of my life, if not the best. Every day and night there was always something to do and see such as hiking on beautiful trails, trying fantastic new foods, going dancing with your friends, and just walking around the beautiful city of Florence was enough to do. Along with the things that the city has to offer, taking classes about the literature of Italy, including things like Dante's Inferno and then being able to go to the very place he wrote his book was truly surreal. Then after class I was easily able to travel on weekends by booking a train ticket to many places in Italy such as Venice, Rome, and Cinque Terre. After a few months of living abroad, you begin to consider Italy your second home.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
One thing I did regret was not going to enough places within Italy, and even though I went to about 10 different cities in just Italy alone I still had some places I really wanted to visit. My advice is to go early on and ask CAPA staff for any help with things such as buying plane or train tickets, they are more than willing to help and go above and beyond.
Rita

CAPA Florence

Studying abroad while in school saves you the hassle of planning a trip and worrying about the expenses, travel, stay and safety. The CAPA staff were friendly, compassionate, helpful and overall fun to work with. Studying abroad was the highlight of my summer and I would recommend anyone and everyone to pursue an education abroad especially through CAPA.

All though most of the expenses are taken care of while you are abroad, you still have to be financially responsible ensure that you have some money for personal expenses and souvenirs. Make a budget sheet and stick to it. Do not overspend, and make sure to say no to friends about a night out or a trip if you cannot afford it. It is easy to be caught up in a lot of activities that can make you fall short financially.
Make sure to build networks even if it is for a short period of time, and seek out local friends to practice the language of the country you visit.

Live in the moment. As much as it is nice to take a picture or a video everywhere and anywhere you go, try to be more present. The memory you hold on to is far more important than some likes and re-shares
Alexander

Why I would Recommend CAPA

I would recommend CAPA because it provided me with a life changing experience. I know there are a lot of other institutes that offer similar programs but at CAPA, the students always come first. A representative met us at the airport and helped us get home from it as well. They care about safety and provide so much knowledge about each global city they represent. The were many way to get involved in the culture as well including outreach and other classes a well such as teaching english to italian children and a pasta making course. Lastly, A lot of credit goes to the staff because no matter what, and I emphasize this again, they are here for you, and they always put a smile on their face and make sure you are getting the best experience while studying abroad.

Nothing, everything that CAPA did had an impact on who I am today through my studies and adventurous side
Nylah

My Time In Florence

As my adventure in Italy quickly came to an end, I reflect on all it has taught me over the course of these last two weeks - not just academically but personally as well. Picking one experience in particular, I choose to focus in greater detail on a conversation I had with one of my CAPA professors only a few days ago. Our conversation took place over an assignment I was having difficulties submitting, and my professor stopped me mid stressfilled sentence, and said the wisest thing to me that I had heard in awhile. He said, “In America, your culture supports a life of stress and it’s pointless when nine out of ten times, your situation will stay exactly the same”. This simple statement not only forced me to reflect on American culture but my own life in particular. It was true what he said, American culture is one that could turn stress into a lifestyle for an average citizen. We see examples of this with citizens working two and three jobs to keep up with the cost of living. Students are raising their blood pressure levels to get into good colleges, and the entire country is sitting on the edge of their seats with rapid shifts in our economy. Taking this all in, I came to the realization that I personally was not living as “stress-free and unbothered” as I had set out to be. The simplicity of my professor’s statement changed my outlook on life for the better. It taught me that life is only a moment and yet so much bigger than such at the same time. That granted, life in one specific moment is indeed our reality but once the moment has passed a new one has been created. We spend so much time prolonging these past moments or anticipating one yet to come that we miss out on so many of the new ones created in the process. This experience in particular reminded me to let go of what I had no control over, to do what I could when I could do it, but also to enjoy each moment as they are created because they will past. As the Italians say in their culture “La semplicità è l’ultimo sofisticazione” - Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Shermel

Everyone should study abroad!

The moments I experienced whilst abroad are ones I would have never imagined happening but the ones I will never forget. There is something enlightening yet maturing about studying in a foreign country. Things will happen to you that are usually solved by your parents but you are forced to solve on your own. It is scary at first but once the moments over and you realize you can survive something unsurvivable, you will never be the same. Also The CAPA faculty and staff properly helped prepare me for what to actually expect when I stepped foot in Firenze. They helped shape my expectations to make ensure my time abroad was enjoyable. CAPA also provided ample opportunities for further immersion in Italian culture for little to no out of pocket cost with all. I had an amazing time abroad, I was not able to travel to every place I wanted to but I figured that getting to some places, enjoying the moments there and interacting with new people was better than travelling everywhere for glimpses at a time. If I could recommend any place to study abroad I absolutely recommend Firenze.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I went on a birthday trip with my friend to Croatia. The trip consisted of a 15-hour bus ride from Croatia to Venice and a 1-hour train to Florence. I had a great time on the trip but on the way back, I had to finish writing and practice my economic presentation. Then about 30 minutes before class, I practiced with my partner for the first time. I was scared my teacher was going to think we were underprepared but it turns out that we pulled it off. The presentation turned out great and I ended up getting an A in the class so it was worth the stress.
Morgan

Summer Study Abroad in Florence

I was apart of a faculty lead program that was hosted by CAPA. CAPA allowed us to use their space, set up housing for us and took us to My Global City events and excursions outside Florence. We were able to meet a lot, if not all, of the CAPA Florence staff who were extremely helpful when it came to recommending places to eat, have fun and site see. They gave us a tour of the city and a training session that taught us what to look out for in terms of safety. Everyone was very nice, the facility was beautiful and the excursions to other cities was so much fun. I gained a lot of knowledge and saw so much of Florence I probably wouldn't have seen without CAPA's help. Our housing was very nice. It was an apartment on the quieter side of the Arno River and it had very nice amenities such as a full kitchen, a TV, wifi and cooking appliances.

Go to as many My Global City events as possible! Experience all that you can while you're there. You don't want to come home and regret not doing something!
Sandra

My studying abroad experience!

My studying abroad experience with CAPA was amazing they had several activities planned for us throughout our trip all of them helped us get immersed into the culture. We had many activities planned for us throughout the city like hikes and tours to get immersed in the culture and history of the beautiful city that is Florence. The people at the CAPA center in Florence were amazing as well because they helped us in anything that we needed whenever we needed. Another thing I love is that CAPA also offers opportunities like internships as well which I think is a great opportunity to get a feel for your career and what better than in Florence, Italy! Overall I was more than satisfied with my study abroad experience and I welcome anyone interested to travel with CAPA.

Honestly I can’t think of any major improvements because CAPA seems experienced enough and they know what to offer and how to help if anyone needed it.
Erin

A Semester Abroad in Florence, Italy with CAPA

This was the best semester of my life studying abroad and I am so happy I decided to go with CAPA. The classes were just hard enough to where I felt like I learned a lot but I also had time to travel a ton! I only ended up having class Monday through Wednesday - so I had the opportunity to travel to 12 different countries in the 14 weeks I was there. CAPA was so supportive, they put me in awesome accommodation about 5 minutes away from the school, and they had a few fun excursions too! I went on this program completely on my own but making friends was so easy because of the activities they have you do.

Florence was absolutely the best study abroad city! It was completely walkable and by the end of the semester it really felt like home. There was so much to do in the city but it was still central enough that traveling was so easy. Another thing that I liked about Florence was that the language barrier wasn't really an issue. Most of the locals were so welcoming because Florence has SO many study abroad students. I never felt unsafe or unwelcome in the city!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
My friends and I decided to take a last minute trip to Tangier, Morocco for spring break while we were in Barcelona and Madrid. We booked plane tickets a few days in advance so it was very impromtu! While we were there we had the chance to ride camels on the beach which was one of the best days of my life. We were only there for a few short days but I cannot wait to go back to this country - everything about it was amazing!
Hannah

PHENOMENAL TRIP

Studying abroad in Florence was one of the best decisions of my life. I am so grateful to my program because it has given me a whole new perspective on the world and inspired my curiosity about other cultures. CAPA made my experience incredible by encouraging me to step out of my comfort zone and immerse myself into Italy's fascinating culture. The entire trip was inspiring and has forever changed myself as an individual. Florence has impacted me tremendously, enhancing my cultural skills and increasing my desire for more intercultural interactions. I also got to meet incredible people and create lasting friendships with the students in my program. I highly recommend this program to anyone that is seeking a different perspective on the world and life itself.

Step out of your comfort zone. Studying in this culturally diverse city will improve many life skills, create unforgettable memories, and prepare you for life after graduating.
Leeza

Hidden gems in Florence

Studying abroad was the best experience of my life. I got to immerse myself in Italian culture through long weekends, class field trips around Tuscany, and long lunch breaks. I not only learned about the topics we discussed in class, but how those topics work in Italy and their relationship with culture.
The CAPA staff are amazing. Give great recommendations, directions, tips, and etiquette lessons. I had shown the staff a picture of a statue I saw on Pinterest asking why I don’t see it. I immediately got directions to go just outside of Florence to the park that this statue was at. They then gave tips on where to eat in the area. This was overall a great experience that I would recommend anyone to take advantage of and CAPA made it even better.

Pack lighter. You will probably have to carry your luggage up stairs and down streets. Elevators are not common and some streets close at different times in the day.
Lindsey

This Program is Life Changing

I spent a month studying abroad this summer and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I learned so much and gained a new kind of confidence that I did not have before. I didn't believe people when they told me that studying abroad would change me, but it absolutely did.
Florence is indescribable and I had so much fun exploring it and other parts of Italy. CAPA's program is great and I would do it again in a second.

Simone

My Italian Future

I am currently in colllege and decided to study abroad in Italy to help complete my minor in psychology and criminology degree. Once I got there I received so much more. I got to meet Italians and experience there everyday life. They made me appreciate my life at home and the things we take for granted. While I was in Italy my friends and I use to walk around to get lost, so we could find new places to go to. Every restaurant we ate at, the food was phenomenal. The people were very helpful and made me love their country even more. I will definitely be moving there once I get the resources to do so.

The only improvement that needs to be done is making the trip longer than a month.
Alexander

Italy: Take Me Back

Italy was such an amazing experience with my professors and our provider CAPA.I had a blast exploring the city of Florence led by my amazing professors. The thing I loved most about the trip was it didn't even feel like school. The classes were taught in an amazing way where a lot of the learning was centered towards different places around the city. For example, most of our class days were exploring museums, cultural sites, and the beauties of the city. CAPA was also a great provider because of their passion for making their students' time abroad the best it can be. The staff was friendly and the accommodations were clean and nice. We stayed 5 minutes from where classes were held, and the apartments ranged from 5-30 minutes walk as well. On the weekends, the majority of us took trips to destinations outside the city. I went to the Alfmafi coast and Croatia as well. These trips were so awesome and I'm glad I had the chance to take them. Going abroad was so much fun and the adventures I had with new friends will last a lifetime.

Acquire meal plans for students with local restaurants
CeDrice

Unique Experience in Florence

I have never been abroad without the security of my parents. I was extremely excited and nervous at the same time to experience a new country. I was mostly nervous about the process of landing and getting to my apartment. The Florence CAPA staff were amazing in helping me get from the train station to the CAPA headquarters then to my apartments. A month before your trip, CAPA sends you a packet through email about where your apartment is, the location of CAPA headquarters, and other important information about traveling to your country. The packet answers many questions that my parents were asking me. The one thing I wish CAPA did was to pay for the cab/transportation to the CAPA center after you arrive because they want you to go to the center to pick up the schedule for your program. However, CAPA did pay for the cab from CAPA center to my apartment. On the first whole day in Florence, CAPA gave all the students in my program an introduction to the Florence CAPA center, a tour of the main city, and an authentic Italian dinner. The first day welcome was the main reason I automatically felt comfortable with the staff at the CAPA center. The dinner was completely paid for and very filling. The tour allowed me to determine how I wanted to spend the next 3 weeks exploring and helped me becoming more comfortable in navigating the streets of Florence. Throughout the rest of the trip, CAPA planned amazing day trips to many cities and facilitated visits to hospitals, medical schools, and other medicine related activities. My program was a global health class trip and the day trips added to the appeal of the trip. All the activities planned were well thought out and aimed towards the program. As my time came to an end, CAPA supplied another complimentary dinner at another amazing Italian restaurant. On the plane ride home, I was extremely happy and relieved that I choose to travel abroad with CAPA.

Nicole

The experience of a lifetime

CAPA gave me the opportunity to live in Florence for 3.5 months. Living in a foreign country for an extended period of time definitely opened my eyes up to the way i perceive the world. There is so much out there that many American students do not see. I believe that CAPA was very organzied when it came to getting our paper work done before starting to travel and explore Florence. I also thought that they remained professional while attentive and comforting. Since we are so far from home, it was important for the students to feel personally connected with the staff at CAPA. The course work was manageable and the professors understand that we are abroad from multiple reasons although school is still a priority. My apartment was a spacious Italian styled apartment. It was definitely different than what I'm used to at home but it added to my experience. My location was great because I was across the Ponte Vecchio and a block away from the bridge. Overall, I think that CAPA gave me multiple opportunities to be indulged in the Italian culture and they made my visit to Italy very welcoming.

The only improvements I would recommend is to make the kids socialize more and maybe even force them to go to certain events. The program seemed very divided in terms of schools, which is natural, however I feel that if CAPA were to hold more mandatory events, the students would socialize with each other more.