CAPA Florence: Study & Intern Abroad

I know what you’re dreaming of, and no, you aren’t crazy for thinking you just smelled pizza. If you’ve always been a sucker for the perfect red sauce or gawked at the fine marble carvings of Michelangelo, then Florence is the city for you. Florence will enchant you with its hidden museums around every corner. As much as you will learn in the classroom, the ancient history of a city like Florence will cause you to eat, sleep, and breathe your studies. You will come away from the experience with gelato in your hands, but Florence in your heart.

Get out of the typical classroom and turn your study abroad city into a place you can learn from. CAPA specializes in customizing your experience— from everything to what classes you’re interested in to what kind of housing you’ll live in. Our internships will give you the skillsets you’ll need to succeed in your career. Each of our centers abroad are unique to the places they’re located, and everyone there will help make you feel at home.

No, the current programs offering are Global Cities, Global Business Institute and Italian Language.

Sharon

Greatest Time of My Life!

To be able to say that I lived in Italy for 3 months seems unreal. To say that besides Italy, I travelled to 9 other countries, seems beyond me. But I did do all those things! I explored a new, beautiful culture and fell in love with it. I strongly encourage everyone who has the opportunity to do so, to go for it. These experiences turn into lifelong memories you will cherish for the rest of your life.

Morgan

The best 4 months of my life!

From the day I got to Florence, I could tell that CAPA really cared about us as students and wanted to help us have the best experience possible. With culturally enhancing activities and classes, I found that I not only got to immerse and learn more about Italian culture, but also myself in the process. I was able to make long lasting friendships with locals while studying towards my marketing/graphic design degree in the process. I learned so much by taking my learning from inside the classroom out into the real world.

I think even more culturally enhancing activities would be nice, as well as a little more flexibility regarding class times and schedules.
Jenna

Best Month of My Life

Studying Abroad with CAPA while in Florence, Italy, is something that I will keep with me forever. It was the most incredible experience that I would recommend to everyone, regardless of age. There is so much to do and see while in Florence. CAPA accommodated our trip with ease. They provided a welcoming and farewell dinner with other CAPA students that provided us to meet new people also studying abroad. From seeing the Duomo for the first time, to eating an endless amount of gelato, the memories I have from Florence will last me a life time. The city is absolutely breathtaking and provides a wide range of activities every day and evening. It was one hundred percent the best month of my life.

Elizabeth

Best Study Abroad Program EVER! Apply! Now!

My educational experience at CAPA's Florence program exceeded my expectations in all aspects! The professors were wonderful and excellent teachers, who understood all that abroad students are going through and excited by. The course work was engaging and often very useful to know while living abroad. Anytime I or another student had a question regarding abroad life or the subject being discussed, my professors were always excited to answer. So many of the classes focus on real-world examples, which certainly make class time more interesting.

During my time abroad, the CAPA staff were extremely encouraging and helpful. These people were the go-to resources for any questions regarding abroad life, travel, or "how would I say this..." inquiries. Often times, during breaks, I loved chatting away with Valentina, who worked the front desk. She was so sweet and caring. Valentina kept students updated on the fun programs CAPA would throw and answered any questions about the Italian language. All of the staff knew Florence extremely well, so that was such a plus with moving to an unfamiliar and big city.

My roommates and I loved our apartment. With just a 3-minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio, our apartment was in an excellent location, with proximity to beautiful sites and 5-star restaurants. We always felt safe in Florence and had a great landlord that took care of any maintenance issues in the apartment (there were only 1 or 2). With the CAPA program’s central location, one never has to walk more than about 10-15 minutes to get to all the major sites in Florence. I loved that this program’s classes were all in one building and not scattered around the city.

Everyone was super friendly in Florence. There was not one time that I felt unsafe or uncomfortable with the locals. CAPA staff are the best resources for any questions about culture shock or cultural/social integration. CAPA even provided a night program to discuss culture shock and ways we could combat it. That program was necessary in my cultural integration to Florence!

The best thing I gained from my experiences in Florence was the understanding of exploration's value. It is so important for Americans to see the other side of the world, how people of different cultures interact, and how these different people live. Every little aspect of my abroad life was worthwhile. I learned to ask more questions, venture out, and explore things that interest me.

I loved the pre-departure tips and checklist that were provided by my university. I would encourage anyone studying abroad to carefully ready over these materials, and search for blogs/articles on your city of study. This resources can be helpful to envision what your daily life will be like.

There's no doubt about it - living abroad can be very difficult...at first. From what I have learned, the best advice I can give is to stay busy and really push yourself into new, safe situations. I loved exploring. It allowed for me to meet and befriend locals that I otherwise would not have met. Within 2 weeks of my time in Florence, I felt as though I had a good understanding of what Florentines are like and how I should carry myself. The CAPA staff will encourage students to ask any questions regarding the "do's and don't's" in Florence. Definitely take them up on this! Doing so will greatly reduce your vulnerability to intense culture shock.

Sean

Studying Abroad in Florence Through CAPA: A Life-Changing Experience!

I had a fantastic time studying abroad in Florence, Italy through CAPA! I went to so many museums, restaurants, stores, and historic landmarks, and it was truly a life-changing experience. The staff at CAPA was incredibly nice and welcoming, especially Valentina Fatichenti. Everyone made us feel at home and guided us through our first time overseas. The CAPA building is also beautiful, blending modern classrooms with historic artwork and architecture. Overall, studying abroad with CAPA in Florence was something I will never forget, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in studying abroad in Firenze, or any Global City for that matter!

Sam

Life changing in every realm possible!

Studying with CAPA was by far the most rewarding experience of my life! They provided me with much more than simply an education. Teachers took students throughout Florence to get a hands-on experience and learn about the culture in a real-world setting. CAPA has awesome programs in order to help you immerse yourself in the Italian culture. I wish I would have done more with local Italians but my experiences did not disappoint!

At times there was some confusion when coordinating with the administration, but besides that they were all phenomenal. They took the time to learn about all of the students and truly cared about helping all of us.
Sydney

Why Study Abroad With CAPA

I have always loved traveling. Before entering college, I thought about the possibility to study abroad. My mom did when she was in college and loved her time abroad. After my first two years of school, I was so busy with academics and athletics that the thought did not cross my mind again until the fall of my junior year. I went in to speak with my schools study abroad office to see what my options were. I had always wanted to go to Italy and once I knew that was an option, I was sold.
Studying abroad was the best decision I have made in life thus far. Florence helped me grow as a person and become a better version of myself. I was completely out of my comfort zone when entering the country. Part of the reason I chose the college I attend is because of the size. I went to a high school the same size as my college, but it fit perfectly. When looking at locations to study abroad in, I knew I would not be able to handle a big city well. I am easily overwhelmed with navigation so I knew I had to stick to the something smaller.
CAPA International Education was a great fit for me. They have locations in 6 different cities around the world, including Florence. The program allow all kinds of different majors and they offer a wide range of classes. Each city has classes tailored to them which gives you the opportunity to learn more about your host city. One of my favorite things about the classes was that we stepped outside of the classroom to relate what we were learning with the city.
Being in a homestay gave me the opportunity to immerse myself fully into Italian culture. They not only gave me a roof over my head, but they were my family. My host family will forever remain a part of me and I hope to one day be able to return to Florence and visit them. Overall, CAPA offered everything I would want in a study abroad program and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Danielle

Go Abroad with CAPA Florence

Studying abroad in Florence was my dream. But when I first arrived I had no idea what to expect or what to do. This is when the CAPA program really stepped forward and helped me. They introduced me to internship opportunities and ways to get connected with local students. This is how I was able to find the local college student scene in Florence and connect with them. I really wanted to make Italian friends and I was able to once I knew where to look! I was completely immersed in the culture and it really helped me develop my Italian. If I hadn't gone abroad, I wouldn't have the worldview that I have today or the strength to be a confident leader. I was given so many opportunities with CAPA for a different kind of education. My photojournalism course inspired me to write about the city. My Italian film studies class helped teach me about the core of the culture. My anthropology class actually took me outside to observe Florence and the people who live there in their every day life and I found this so rewarding. I learned so much with CAPA and I couldn't have asked for a better educational program.

Olivia

A Day in the Life...

There is no bad experience in the city of Firenze. Some of my favorite times spent in Firenze were actually when I was walking home from a weekend trip from the Santa Maria Novella train station to my apartment, which was near Santa Croce. It was when I felt like I was returning "home" from a long trip. I would literally get to walk through the city and see all my favorite spots, but the best was when I emerged into Piazza San Giovanni and the Duomo came into view. Feelings of happiness would just envelope me because, as it is the symbol of the city, I always felt a connection to it. Firenze is truly one of the greatest cities I have ever experienced.

The only improvement i would suggest for CAPA is that more of the MyEducation events would be included in the tuition. Other than that, the staff was great, the program was great, and I learned so much and was still able to experience the culture and the rest of Europe's multiple cultures.
Carly

Left My Heart in Florence

Although there are no words that could perfectly describe my time with CAPA in Florence, I'll give it a shot. I had always planned on studying abroad in Rome, but somehow I stumbled across CAPA's program in Florence and decided to go for it. Little did I know that this would become the best decision I have ever made. I arrived in Florence knowing enough Italian to order gelato, but not much else. From pairing me with the best roommates I could ask for, to giving me an apartment that showed me what it was like to be a true local, and providing me with classes that brought the streets and language to life, CAPA did it all. It was impossible to complain about school when I was taking classes like, Exploring the Global City, Italian Cinema, and Italian. These classes and teachers allowed me to truly dive into the full Italian experience, while teaching me how to not only recognize the works of Botticelli, but also the proper time of day to order a cappuccino. Aside from giving me more knowledge than I could've imagined, the CAPA staff truly cared about each one of us. Whether it be gathering all the information of our weekend trips, or asking other teachers if we're doing okay after a poor quiz grade (sorry Professoressa), I always felt at home. Leaving Florence and CAPA was one of the hardest thing I've ever done, but thankfully they just provided me with so many more reasons to go back.

The only improvement I think CAPA could make would be to provide a more efficient and enforced way of gathering students' travel plans. A few times we forgot to fill out the notification sheet, which often left students and staff worried.
Carli

Florence in the Fall

This past fall was the best 3 months of my entire life. Studying with CAPA in Florence, Italy could not have been better. I learned an extreme amount about myself, the world, different cultures, ways of life, and traveling. I have never been out of the country before this, or even away from home, so this was a huge move for me. I had to start my adult life in a completely new country, and different type of culture. I learned a lot from the way the Italians live. For instance, I learned not to be in such a rush all the time, sip and thoroughly enjoy my coffee, respect my elders, and just truly live. Being with CAPA was amazing, my apartment was incredible and right in the heart of the city, and very close to my fellow classmates. Plenty of cafes, shops, museums, the school, historic landmarks, and nightlife all within walking distance. Over my 3 months I got to travel to 7 different countries, and make unbreakable lifelong friendships.

The only thing I would have to say that this program could improve on is making sure their emergency line is always manned. There was one instance we needed immediate help and we didn't hear back from them for a little while. Everything turned out okay, but we could have benefitted from a timelier response.
Claire

Home Away From Home

Going into my study abroad experience I knew that I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone in order to have a maximized experience in a foreign country. I was determined to make Florence my home away from home that I could always go back to. Instead of rooming with my best friends from Boulder, I lived in a homestay with locals. Instead of spending all of my time with English speakers, I spent quality time with Italian children as I volunteered teaching English at a local Elementary school. Through my time teaching English, as well as time devoted to my host family, such as going on walks through the gardens with my host mom, I managed to accomplish leaving Florence feeling like it truly is my home away from home. I can only hope that one day I will have the amazing opportunity to return.

Gabriella

The Best Decision of my Life

Here's a story I wrote in my journal while I was abroad:

A Day In The Life...

First of all, it is starting to warm up here in Flo and I'm all sorts of happy about it. Sunny skies and warmer temperatures make everything better, wouldn't you agree? Anyways, I met up with my friends Morgan and Alexa after class and we stopped at the cutest cafe and each got a sweet treat, mine being a delectable waffle that I thoroughly enjoyed. Then, after stopping at the art supplies store for some things I needed, we made our way to the chocolate festival, going on in a Piazza near the river just in time for Valentines day weekend. There was an entire row of chocolate stands, each one showing off their own chocolate creations from bark to truffles to chocolate covered strawberries and waffles. As we ate our way through, and purchased some of our own, we decided it was a good idea to avoid studying for a little longer and take in the sunset from the River Arno. We went to a bridge, plopped down on it, and soaked in the last bit of sunshine before it set into a beautiful pink and purple sunset.

Then, we decided we were hungry (and didn't want to study) so we made a plan to eat at Gusta Pizza - a famous pizzeria on the other side of the river. Sadly it was closed, but we did stop in a couple shops and purchased a few goodies. I got the ring I wanted, which was very exciting!

Finally, we came to the conclusion that it was time to go home and face reality, so we made our way back. But not before we stopped at Mr. Pizza where we received heart shaped pizzas. So cute.

It's crazy to think it's been a month and I've only talked about places other than the absolutely AMAZING city that I live in. Everything about it makes me smile every day, from my walk to class to the Italian's dogs to the wine - this city definitely has been a perfect place to call home for the past month.

Their way of organizing and communicating everything seemed a bit dated and difficult. If it were up to me, that would be something I would have CAPA improve upon.
Mary

Why Florence

My favorite part about living abroad in Florence was exploring the city itself. The staff and faculty in my program made this especially possible through sharing their favorite sights, restaurants, and museums of Florence. The city itself is highly populated with study abroad students, but I still was able to explore the city on my own. Experiences like speaking Italian at my local bakery or taking trains to less famous cities like medieval Prato helped shape my experience. I wanted to study abroad for lots of reasons, but in the end I miss Florence because of the incredible and unique people I met both through my school and outside of it.

The program's schedule changed often, which made planning trips difficult. There were make up classes that would occasionally land on a Friday. MyEducation events were fantastic ways to explore Florence with a staff member, but often coincided with classes. I wish I had been able to experience more of the program.
Danielle

CAPA Florence

My study abroad experience with CAPA was nothing short of amazing. The staff was extremely accommodating, my flat was gorgeous and right in the city center, and my classes were interesting. I was happy to arrive in Florence, ready for a new adventure, and CAPA provided me with just that. I made countless new friends, who became family. I would never take back my decision to study abroad with CAPA.

The only thing that I would change about this program would be that I would have liked for the classes to be a little bit more organized. But, overall I did enjoy them!

About CAPA The Global Education Network

What do you want to get out of your study abroad experience? No matter what, you’ll have to spend some time in the classroom. But what if there were a way to get out into your new city and truly live what you learn?

Welcome to CAPA: The Global...