CAPA Florence: Study & Intern Abroad

I know what you’re dreaming of, and no, you aren’t crazy for thinking you just smelled pizza. If you’ve always been a sucker for the perfect red sauce or gawked at the fine marble carvings of Michelangelo, then Florence is the city for you. Florence will enchant you with its hidden museums around every corner. As much as you will learn in the classroom, the ancient history of a city like Florence will cause you to eat, sleep, and breathe your studies. You will come away from the experience with gelato in your hands, but Florence in your heart.

Get out of the typical classroom and turn your study abroad city into a place you can learn from. CAPA specializes in customizing your experience— from everything to what classes you’re interested in to what kind of housing you’ll live in. Our internships will give you the skillsets you’ll need to succeed in your career. Each of our centers abroad are unique to the places they’re located, and everyone there will help make you feel at home.

Hi! We were unable to find the answer to your question! As a next step try reaching out to the program provider to learn more about internship placements. This link will take you right to their contact info: https://info.capa.org/go-overseas-capa-florence-program .
No, the current programs offering are Global Cities, Global Business Institute and Italian Language.

Lindsey

This Program is Life Changing

I spent a month studying abroad this summer and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I learned so much and gained a new kind of confidence that I did not have before. I didn't believe people when they told me that studying abroad would change me, but it absolutely did.
Florence is indescribable and I had so much fun exploring it and other parts of Italy. CAPA's program is great and I would do it again in a second.

Simone

My Italian Future

I am currently in colllege and decided to study abroad in Italy to help complete my minor in psychology and criminology degree. Once I got there I received so much more. I got to meet Italians and experience there everyday life. They made me appreciate my life at home and the things we take for granted. While I was in Italy my friends and I use to walk around to get lost, so we could find new places to go to. Every restaurant we ate at, the food was phenomenal. The people were very helpful and made me love their country even more. I will definitely be moving there once I get the resources to do so.

The only improvement that needs to be done is making the trip longer than a month.
Alexander

Italy: Take Me Back

Italy was such an amazing experience with my professors and our provider CAPA.I had a blast exploring the city of Florence led by my amazing professors. The thing I loved most about the trip was it didn't even feel like school. The classes were taught in an amazing way where a lot of the learning was centered towards different places around the city. For example, most of our class days were exploring museums, cultural sites, and the beauties of the city. CAPA was also a great provider because of their passion for making their students' time abroad the best it can be. The staff was friendly and the accommodations were clean and nice. We stayed 5 minutes from where classes were held, and the apartments ranged from 5-30 minutes walk as well. On the weekends, the majority of us took trips to destinations outside the city. I went to the Alfmafi coast and Croatia as well. These trips were so awesome and I'm glad I had the chance to take them. Going abroad was so much fun and the adventures I had with new friends will last a lifetime.

Acquire meal plans for students with local restaurants
CeDrice

Unique Experience in Florence

I have never been abroad without the security of my parents. I was extremely excited and nervous at the same time to experience a new country. I was mostly nervous about the process of landing and getting to my apartment. The Florence CAPA staff were amazing in helping me get from the train station to the CAPA headquarters then to my apartments. A month before your trip, CAPA sends you a packet through email about where your apartment is, the location of CAPA headquarters, and other important information about traveling to your country. The packet answers many questions that my parents were asking me. The one thing I wish CAPA did was to pay for the cab/transportation to the CAPA center after you arrive because they want you to go to the center to pick up the schedule for your program. However, CAPA did pay for the cab from CAPA center to my apartment. On the first whole day in Florence, CAPA gave all the students in my program an introduction to the Florence CAPA center, a tour of the main city, and an authentic Italian dinner. The first day welcome was the main reason I automatically felt comfortable with the staff at the CAPA center. The dinner was completely paid for and very filling. The tour allowed me to determine how I wanted to spend the next 3 weeks exploring and helped me becoming more comfortable in navigating the streets of Florence. Throughout the rest of the trip, CAPA planned amazing day trips to many cities and facilitated visits to hospitals, medical schools, and other medicine related activities. My program was a global health class trip and the day trips added to the appeal of the trip. All the activities planned were well thought out and aimed towards the program. As my time came to an end, CAPA supplied another complimentary dinner at another amazing Italian restaurant. On the plane ride home, I was extremely happy and relieved that I choose to travel abroad with CAPA.

Nicole

The experience of a lifetime

CAPA gave me the opportunity to live in Florence for 3.5 months. Living in a foreign country for an extended period of time definitely opened my eyes up to the way i perceive the world. There is so much out there that many American students do not see. I believe that CAPA was very organzied when it came to getting our paper work done before starting to travel and explore Florence. I also thought that they remained professional while attentive and comforting. Since we are so far from home, it was important for the students to feel personally connected with the staff at CAPA. The course work was manageable and the professors understand that we are abroad from multiple reasons although school is still a priority. My apartment was a spacious Italian styled apartment. It was definitely different than what I'm used to at home but it added to my experience. My location was great because I was across the Ponte Vecchio and a block away from the bridge. Overall, I think that CAPA gave me multiple opportunities to be indulged in the Italian culture and they made my visit to Italy very welcoming.

The only improvements I would recommend is to make the kids socialize more and maybe even force them to go to certain events. The program seemed very divided in terms of schools, which is natural, however I feel that if CAPA were to hold more mandatory events, the students would socialize with each other more.
Brittany

Beautiful

This summer I had the opportunity to visit one of the most beautiful countries I have ever seen, Italy. When I first arrived the first thing I noticed was how narrow the roads were. The taxi driver was navigating the street with easy but I feel like if it was me driving I might have been on the side walk. The second thing that struck me was how much everyone was walking. I thought at first the amount of walking would be daunting but by the time I left I found that my group and I were easily walking 5-10 miles a day and loving every step! We even became masters of the public transportation with the help of phone apps. One of the things I loved the most about Italy was that even without a car my group and I were about to travel far and wide throughout the country and stay in different cities for very cheap. During my time there I explored not only Florence, which was where our apartment was located, but also Rome, Pisa, Siena, San Gimignano,Padova, Cince Terre, Levanto, and the Vatican City. While in Rome I was able to see the Coloseum, St. Peter’s Basilica, and the Roman Forum and Panthan. In Siena we got to climb the crazy hilly streets and learn about the different sections of the city and how each section is a build-in family for anyone who lives there. In San Gimignano we got to eat “arguably” the best gelato in the world and climb a tower to see the country side. In Padova we got to learn the rich medical history and how it affected the rest of Italy. In the Vatican City I got to do what most people will only dream of doing…. I got to see the Sistine Chapel close up. I could not take pictures for fear of getting tackled by security but I took very vivid mental pictures. I did an impromptu hike between the cities of Cince Terre in only flip flops. I would highly recommend the hike, just not in flip flops. My most treasured memory of all was sitting on a rocky beach in Levanto and looking out out the pristine sparkling ocean and up at the mountains and the sky and thinking I had to be the luckiest woman in the world! How many people in the world can say they had the opportunity to go on this wild and wonderful adventure. My roommates and I got lost… several times….the mosquitoes ate me alive until I figured out how to work the plug in repellent… I almost missed the train… my travel group and I got locked out of out Airbnb for hours, only to realize that we were not putting in the key correctly…. I had blisters on the bottom on my feet the first week… I was exhausted. In the end I would not trade a minute of that adventure nor would I trade the opportunity that I had to make life long friends.

n/a
Sharon

Greatest Time of My Life!

To be able to say that I lived in Italy for 3 months seems unreal. To say that besides Italy, I travelled to 9 other countries, seems beyond me. But I did do all those things! I explored a new, beautiful culture and fell in love with it. I strongly encourage everyone who has the opportunity to do so, to go for it. These experiences turn into lifelong memories you will cherish for the rest of your life.

Morgan

The best 4 months of my life!

From the day I got to Florence, I could tell that CAPA really cared about us as students and wanted to help us have the best experience possible. With culturally enhancing activities and classes, I found that I not only got to immerse and learn more about Italian culture, but also myself in the process. I was able to make long lasting friendships with locals while studying towards my marketing/graphic design degree in the process. I learned so much by taking my learning from inside the classroom out into the real world.

I think even more culturally enhancing activities would be nice, as well as a little more flexibility regarding class times and schedules.
Jenna

Best Month of My Life

Studying Abroad with CAPA while in Florence, Italy, is something that I will keep with me forever. It was the most incredible experience that I would recommend to everyone, regardless of age. There is so much to do and see while in Florence. CAPA accommodated our trip with ease. They provided a welcoming and farewell dinner with other CAPA students that provided us to meet new people also studying abroad. From seeing the Duomo for the first time, to eating an endless amount of gelato, the memories I have from Florence will last me a life time. The city is absolutely breathtaking and provides a wide range of activities every day and evening. It was one hundred percent the best month of my life.

Elizabeth

Best Study Abroad Program EVER! Apply! Now!

My educational experience at CAPA's Florence program exceeded my expectations in all aspects! The professors were wonderful and excellent teachers, who understood all that abroad students are going through and excited by. The course work was engaging and often very useful to know while living abroad. Anytime I or another student had a question regarding abroad life or the subject being discussed, my professors were always excited to answer. So many of the classes focus on real-world examples, which certainly make class time more interesting.

During my time abroad, the CAPA staff were extremely encouraging and helpful. These people were the go-to resources for any questions regarding abroad life, travel, or "how would I say this..." inquiries. Often times, during breaks, I loved chatting away with Valentina, who worked the front desk. She was so sweet and caring. Valentina kept students updated on the fun programs CAPA would throw and answered any questions about the Italian language. All of the staff knew Florence extremely well, so that was such a plus with moving to an unfamiliar and big city.

My roommates and I loved our apartment. With just a 3-minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio, our apartment was in an excellent location, with proximity to beautiful sites and 5-star restaurants. We always felt safe in Florence and had a great landlord that took care of any maintenance issues in the apartment (there were only 1 or 2). With the CAPA program’s central location, one never has to walk more than about 10-15 minutes to get to all the major sites in Florence. I loved that this program’s classes were all in one building and not scattered around the city.

Everyone was super friendly in Florence. There was not one time that I felt unsafe or uncomfortable with the locals. CAPA staff are the best resources for any questions about culture shock or cultural/social integration. CAPA even provided a night program to discuss culture shock and ways we could combat it. That program was necessary in my cultural integration to Florence!

The best thing I gained from my experiences in Florence was the understanding of exploration's value. It is so important for Americans to see the other side of the world, how people of different cultures interact, and how these different people live. Every little aspect of my abroad life was worthwhile. I learned to ask more questions, venture out, and explore things that interest me.

I loved the pre-departure tips and checklist that were provided by my university. I would encourage anyone studying abroad to carefully ready over these materials, and search for blogs/articles on your city of study. This resources can be helpful to envision what your daily life will be like.

There's no doubt about it - living abroad can be very difficult...at first. From what I have learned, the best advice I can give is to stay busy and really push yourself into new, safe situations. I loved exploring. It allowed for me to meet and befriend locals that I otherwise would not have met. Within 2 weeks of my time in Florence, I felt as though I had a good understanding of what Florentines are like and how I should carry myself. The CAPA staff will encourage students to ask any questions regarding the "do's and don't's" in Florence. Definitely take them up on this! Doing so will greatly reduce your vulnerability to intense culture shock.

Sean

Studying Abroad in Florence Through CAPA: A Life-Changing Experience!

I had a fantastic time studying abroad in Florence, Italy through CAPA! I went to so many museums, restaurants, stores, and historic landmarks, and it was truly a life-changing experience. The staff at CAPA was incredibly nice and welcoming, especially Valentina Fatichenti. Everyone made us feel at home and guided us through our first time overseas. The CAPA building is also beautiful, blending modern classrooms with historic artwork and architecture. Overall, studying abroad with CAPA in Florence was something I will never forget, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in studying abroad in Firenze, or any Global City for that matter!

Sam

Life changing in every realm possible!

Studying with CAPA was by far the most rewarding experience of my life! They provided me with much more than simply an education. Teachers took students throughout Florence to get a hands-on experience and learn about the culture in a real-world setting. CAPA has awesome programs in order to help you immerse yourself in the Italian culture. I wish I would have done more with local Italians but my experiences did not disappoint!

At times there was some confusion when coordinating with the administration, but besides that they were all phenomenal. They took the time to learn about all of the students and truly cared about helping all of us.
Sydney

Why Study Abroad With CAPA

I have always loved traveling. Before entering college, I thought about the possibility to study abroad. My mom did when she was in college and loved her time abroad. After my first two years of school, I was so busy with academics and athletics that the thought did not cross my mind again until the fall of my junior year. I went in to speak with my schools study abroad office to see what my options were. I had always wanted to go to Italy and once I knew that was an option, I was sold.
Studying abroad was the best decision I have made in life thus far. Florence helped me grow as a person and become a better version of myself. I was completely out of my comfort zone when entering the country. Part of the reason I chose the college I attend is because of the size. I went to a high school the same size as my college, but it fit perfectly. When looking at locations to study abroad in, I knew I would not be able to handle a big city well. I am easily overwhelmed with navigation so I knew I had to stick to the something smaller.
CAPA International Education was a great fit for me. They have locations in 6 different cities around the world, including Florence. The program allow all kinds of different majors and they offer a wide range of classes. Each city has classes tailored to them which gives you the opportunity to learn more about your host city. One of my favorite things about the classes was that we stepped outside of the classroom to relate what we were learning with the city.
Being in a homestay gave me the opportunity to immerse myself fully into Italian culture. They not only gave me a roof over my head, but they were my family. My host family will forever remain a part of me and I hope to one day be able to return to Florence and visit them. Overall, CAPA offered everything I would want in a study abroad program and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Danielle

Go Abroad with CAPA Florence

Studying abroad in Florence was my dream. But when I first arrived I had no idea what to expect or what to do. This is when the CAPA program really stepped forward and helped me. They introduced me to internship opportunities and ways to get connected with local students. This is how I was able to find the local college student scene in Florence and connect with them. I really wanted to make Italian friends and I was able to once I knew where to look! I was completely immersed in the culture and it really helped me develop my Italian. If I hadn't gone abroad, I wouldn't have the worldview that I have today or the strength to be a confident leader. I was given so many opportunities with CAPA for a different kind of education. My photojournalism course inspired me to write about the city. My Italian film studies class helped teach me about the core of the culture. My anthropology class actually took me outside to observe Florence and the people who live there in their every day life and I found this so rewarding. I learned so much with CAPA and I couldn't have asked for a better educational program.

Olivia

A Day in the Life...

There is no bad experience in the city of Firenze. Some of my favorite times spent in Firenze were actually when I was walking home from a weekend trip from the Santa Maria Novella train station to my apartment, which was near Santa Croce. It was when I felt like I was returning "home" from a long trip. I would literally get to walk through the city and see all my favorite spots, but the best was when I emerged into Piazza San Giovanni and the Duomo came into view. Feelings of happiness would just envelope me because, as it is the symbol of the city, I always felt a connection to it. Firenze is truly one of the greatest cities I have ever experienced.

The only improvement i would suggest for CAPA is that more of the MyEducation events would be included in the tuition. Other than that, the staff was great, the program was great, and I learned so much and was still able to experience the culture and the rest of Europe's multiple cultures.

About CAPA The Global Education Network

What do you want to get out of your study abroad experience? No matter what, you’ll have to spend some time in the classroom. But what if there were a way to get out into your new city and truly live what you learn?

Welcome to CAPA: The Global...