CEA Study Abroad in Florence, Italy

Capital of Italy’s Tuscany region and known as “the cradle of the Renaissance,” Florence has long been a source of inspiration for visionaries such as Galileo Galilei, Leonardo da Vinci, and Niccolò Machiavelli. It is known for the Cathedral on the Pizza del Duomo, a domed edifice engineered by Fillipo Brunelleschi, which includes an iconic bell tower rising high above the city. This once-Roman city, established by Julius Ceasar in 59 BC and steeped in history, is the present home to fashion designers and major wine labels.

The CEA Florence Center offers a variety of learning opportunities in English and Italian where you get to explore the city with your professors as guides.

In addition to Study Abroad programs, explore CEA Internships Abroad Florence, our dynamic program that provides hands-on, practical experience to help you rise above the competition.

Interested? Click the “Visit Site” button to learn what’s waiting for you!

• Hands-on learning experiences that transform the world abroad into a classroom
  • Personalized Pre-Departure Advising, including visa and immigration support
  • Courses offered in English that fulfill major and general graduation requirements
  • Comprehensive on-site support, including 24/7 emergency phone
  • Career workshops, Internships Abroad, and Alumni Ambassador positions

Florence was great, CEA isn't!

Studying in Florence was amazing. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to live in such a beautiful place with such a rich history for four months. However, my experience with CEA, which included being talked down to countless times, brushed off repeatedly, and being harassed by two male staff members, was awful. The classes were not hard and weekend traveling was relatively easy, but by the end of the program I was actually afraid while at school.

Better staff. From teachers to directors to people assigned to ensure students' safety and wellbeing, the staff is rude, condescending, and unhelpful.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We regret to hear you didn’t have a great experience abroad. We take the student experience very seriously and strive to provide a safe and enriching environment. CEA policies advise faculty, staff, and students how to report any concerning situations and CEA has support resources in place for students who feel unsafe at any time for any reason. Our U.S. based academic team would like to engage in further conversations; please contact us at [email protected]

No, I don't recommend
Elijah

Studying Abroad with CEA

Studying abroad with the CEA Florence program was the best ever! I lived 3-4months in the beautiful region of Tuscany. Florence, being the capital, is the hub of that. Everyday I spent time tasting delicious Italian cuisine, immersed myself with the locals, learned Italian, and enjoyed learning more about the Italian culture and life.

The staff at CEA are some of the best. When needing guidance or even suggestions, they are there for you. In terms of academics, the classes aren't too difficult at all. The teachers are amazing as well, don't be afraid to speak up when in need of help, they will be happier than ever to help. Fret not, the support you need and want will be there.

I could ramble on and on about this program! 10/10 I would recommend this program to future students.

Rachel

Expect a Phenomenal Time

CEA’s Florence program was the perfect first place to visit in Europe. Not only did the staff do the utmost to ensure a great time for their students, but they truly care as well. Any doubts, concerns or random questions were answered with true honesty. Classes were at a perfect learning level, and all the activities and traveling available outside of school is a cherry on top. Highly recommend! I can’t wait to go back and see the place that changed my life.

Casey

Go study in Florence!

I know people always say this, but please study abroad. It was easily the best thing I have done in my life. My favorite thing about studying in Florence was how easy it was for me to travel the rest of Europe. CEA made that incredibly possible without Friday classes and a certain amount of sick days. Florence was just the perfect size to really get to know it all in just a few weekends. CEA classes got me directly involved with learning about the amazing art and history of the city. I was getting GE units for my university back home that were actually interesting and applicable for the life that I was living. CEA and Florence allowed me to travel cheap an conveniently to see everything from Iceland geysers, to the Cliffs of Mohr in Ireland, to skiing the Swiss Alps, to Oktoberfest in Munich, to a sunrise in the Sahara, to Aushwitz in Krakow. I couldn't have been more happy looking back at my study abroad experience. My only regret is that I didn't go for a year.

The only way I could think to improve CEA (which I think they are already working on), is what to expect and how to prepare prior to going to my destination. Even then they did a pretty good job on it. I really have nothing to complain about.
Sarah

The Best 4 Months of My Life

The CEA program helped to make my study abroad experience as positive as it was. I had never been out of the United States before in my life, and the CEA staff helped me to transition into the Florence living as easily as possible.

The classes were not the regular business classes I was used to taking back at Penn State, but that is why they were so interesting. The classes helped immerse me into the amazing culture that was surrounding me, and the topics taught were very captivating. For example, the Fashion Marketing class taught me insights into the marketing world that I never would have known otherwise, all while being able to take included field trips to places such as Luisa via Roma, Miu Miu, and the Gucci Museum. My Italian teacher, Martina, was there to help with whatever I needed, while making it fun to learn Italian with songs (that I still sing to this day), and took her classes on field trips to local artisans and the market for practice.

The CEA staff is not only concerned about your safety and learning, but they also make sure the experience is fun and memorable. With provided trips to multiple cities around Italy, delicious traditional meals, welcoming lunches and goodbye dinners, we knew we were lucky to have chosen CEA. I made lifelong friends with people from schools all over the country, had the best food I'll ever have in my life, learnt a beautiful language, and experienced a brand new culture, all in a very short 4 months.

Stephanie

Pizza, gelato, what else do you need?

I didn't enroll through CEA directly, my school had a program working with them.

Florence is a beautiful city with great food and culture. The CEA staff are all friendly and eager to help out. I'm used to larger classes on a quarter system, so it was a bit of an adjustment for me.

I highly recommend the Fashion Marketing class with Professor Tamara Evans if you have any interest in it. The class can be a lot of terminology at times, but her stories are so interesting and she knows everyone.

I also advise anyone prone to mosquito bites to get netting over their windows and/or bug spray because me and many other students had terrible bites!

I know there were opportunities to interact with the culture and community, but many didn't work out as planned, like the internships, or they were only one time. It would be cool if there were some regularly scheduled ways to get in touch with the local culture.
Anna

A Home Forever

Each day, I would wake up to a soft knock on my bedroom door. My host mom would have breakfast waiting for me at our cute, little kitchen table at 8am. I learned to appreciate routine in Florence. My home was a little outside the city center, so I usually rode my bike to school. Our facility was in the vibrant heart of Florence. Italian class each morning, walking around without a destination during the day. The world truly felt like my playground, and I was 5 years old again. Except this time, without parents of course. I absorbed every air molecule of Florence during the week. Especially, on the sunny days. Whether that meant having a glass of wine by noon in one of the piazzas, or just simply sitting on a bench observing and listening to the Italians. Looking back, I was grateful to be in Florence during the springtime because Italians love their flowers and gardens. Our program director, Grayson Splane, was one of the most amazing women I've ever met. As well as one of the professors, Ian Bickerton. I know I will always stay in contact with these two. Studying abroad is truly magical, and the incredible people you meet along the way end up being the most important advocates and elements of that self-growth.

I didn't feel as though there was enough diversity in the student population. A lot of students came from Penn State, or they were coming with their boy/girlfriends. I personally don't believe studying abroad is something a person should do with people they know/are familiar with so I was a bit frustrated with this at times. Maybe this was the case because of the high cost of the program.
Gabi0119

DONT DO CEA FOR FLORENCE!

CEA Florence is a horrible study abroad program. They had no concern for the students, the staff was extremely rude and unhelpful, the living conditions were horrible, faulty and covered in mold, and the teachers were extremely unfit providing zero structure for the classes.

Response from CEA Study Abroad

We are very sorry about your experience abroad in Florence, and how you felt about your housing, classes and our staff. We always do the best that we can to attend to students needs before, during and after their travels. We hope you were still able to have an enriching study abroad experience, and that you were able to enjoy Italy and it all it has to offer to young travelers.

No, I don't recommend

About CEA Study Abroad

With 20 destinations across 11 countries, CEA Study Abroad offers an ideal balance of academics, internships, and adventure to more than 4,000 students each year. Find out where learning abroad can take you by clicking the “Visit Site” button and...