CISabroad - Semester in Rome

Study and live in the timeless, exciting city of Rome, where ancient ruins rub shoulders with modern buildings, mopeds, and macchiatos. Semester in Rome takes place at the American University of Rome, located on top of the Janiculum, Rome’s highest hill. This city is characterized by open-air cafés, quaint outdoor markets, classical monuments, and vast cathedrals and museums. Get lost in the streets and find yourself in the vibrant rhythms of the city’s eternal beauty. Toss a coin into the Trevi Fountain for luck—though you’ve already found it if you’re studying abroad in Rome.

Nancy

CISabroad review

I chose the Semester in Rome with CISabroad. The pickup from the airport when I arrived was definitely very helpful, especially since I was in an unfamiliar place. The housing location was also very good; close to the city center and many great local places. It was a nice distance from American University of Rome, too, which was appreciated. As for the quality of the program, it was ok. Only 1 excursion was included in the price of the program which was disappointing. I know a few other people from a different program and they had all the excursions included. The small day trips with our CISabroad handler was pretty nice as well. Our guide was knowledgeable and very nice. I kept in contact with her throughout the semester if I needed anything and she was usually pretty prompt in answering. One thing I didn't like about the program was the number of people enrolled. There was literally 6 of us and it was odd. I expected more people in our program. It's not necessarily CIS's fault, but that's something to keep in mind. If anyone is expecting a large 30+ group of people, they might be disappointed.

I think just inlcuding all the excursions in the price of enrollment. The main trip was included but the smaller ones I also wanted to go on weren't. I understand they are lesser prices, but I paid a lot of money for the program and expect a little more in terms of sightseeing, no matter if I travel solo on the weekends anyway.
Response from CISabroad

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback, Nancy! It sounds like you were able to appreciate the smaller program size in terms of the prompt, personal support offered. We hope you were able to find ways to mingle with the hundreds of other students at AUR! We're sorry that you were hoping to pay for and arrange excursions in advance; we find that most participants enjoy getting a lay of the land and organizing and paying for excursions after they have arrived - our staff are always happy to help participants arrange independent travel!

No, I don't recommend
Megan

A semester to remember

My study abroad experience was once in a lifetime. My program was helpful, kind, sincere, fun, and loving! Anything I needed assistance with CIS was there to help. I traveled to over 15 countries and 20+ cities worldwide. I met the best group of friends that I still keep in touch with and am planning a reunion this summer! I had the opportunity to immerse myself in the Italian culture, learning about the food, language, the people, and overall everyday lifestyle. I felt as if I was at home! After this program, I am much more independent, aware of myself and the world around me and so much more grateful! My favorite memory has to be going to the bars with my friends and singing our classic karaoke song- Sweet Caroline. My study abroad experience was one I will NEVER FORGET! Thank you CIS!

Honestly, everything about this program was great! Great communication, great people, and great atmosphere!
Tom

My semester in Rome

I had an incredible 4 months in Rome, a city that quickly became my beloved home. CISabroad helped make a great experience something unforgettable, with the friends and experiences I had thanks to CISabroad. The balance between school and free time was perfect, and school was a lot better than I thought it would be. I never thought I would travel and see so many places; however, I could have spent my whole time in Rome and still have been extremely content. Best 4 months of my life.

Nour

What an amazing experience

I think that Rome was the most amazing city to live in all of Europe. It has everything a city should offer for a study abroad student. Good food, great teachers, and just an amazing city life. I think it has a classic European feel but a modern twist. Its a very international city and you'll meet people from all over the world. Everything from the food to the culture was amazing. CISabroad is a good program to facilitate my experience abroad and I think having an amazing advisor, Romina, while I was there was rewarding because I came to her with any of the problems I faced. Aside from that I learned a lot in my major and networked with a lot of people who are going into the same field as me. I definitely recommend studying abroad in Rome!

Faith

Mediterranean Culture Summer Program-- 5 of 5 stars

I truly loved my program with CIS Abroad, for multiple reasons. Primarily, CIS Abroad is committed to making a once-in-a-lifetime experience affordable. I was able to live in Rome for one month and Barcelona for one month, in addition to visiting southern Italy, France, and Portugal, all for one lump sum that was much lower than the tuition for any other multi-country program I looked at. The classes I took were rewarding and challenging in all the right ways, and my professors were very well respected in their fields as well as very accessible. If you want a program that is administered by the same group of people across Europe, and you want to feel secure that your program will be safe as well as incredible, then CIS is the organization to go with. I highly recommend them.

This program could be improved by ensuring that the groups in multi-country programs get to live together when they switch countries and integrate into the new place.
Courtney

Best. Semester. Ever.

I studied in Rome for the Fall 2014 semester and loved every minute of it! I struggled with the US staff in regards to communication (if you want to know something, you have to go after it - including questions about application completion and even program acceptance) and politeness so I was a little concerned at first but all of my concerns were curtailed with a great on-site staff. I lived in an apartment with 5 other girls (who were all awful but that's not CIS's fault) that was modern and included weekly maid service. The American University of Rome is an amazing little university in the great neighborhood of Monteverde - it's academically rigorous but I still had the time of my life while abroad. I cannot stress enough how incredible the on-site staff was. Romina Marchionne helped me through every step of culture shock, homesickness and roommate issues and I could tell she really cared about me. Included in the program fee was tuition, housing, international health insurance (which saved me when I had a health concern in the middle of the semester; Romina went with me to the hospital), and cultural activities all throughout the semester which included but were not limited to walking tours of Roman neighborhoods, gelato, cheese and espresso tastings, cultural immersion and re-immersion back into your own cultural activities. Rome is amazing in that it's very central to the rest of Europe so travel on the weekends was cheap and easy; I had the opportunity to travel within Italy extensively and travel to 9 other countries in the short time I was there! I had the time of my life! I learned many valuable lessons while I was abroad and CISabroad really made the experience as simple as it could be. I would absolutely 100% recommend CIS.

Communication on the US side was dreadful but I found out later on that my advisor was 8-9 months pregnant while I was berating her with questions.
Lizzy

Fantastic Summer in Rome

The program CISabroad provided the best for housing, academics, and the social scene. Our student apartment was very spacious and had all the amenities we needed. The American University of Rome had great professors and was a short distance from where we lived. The area that we lived in was safe and provided the cultural immersion that I wanted. It was also close to center city Rome as well as the social scene of Rome. Overall, I couldn't have asked for a better program to go through!

The program could be improved by having more support in terms of what to do on weekends. They told us we could ask if we needed help, but a paper with different recommended site and cities to visit would've been helpful!
Emma

Summer in Rome

I studied in Rome for 5 weeks and it was the trip of a lifetime! I indulged in the history, the culture and the social life within the city and absolutely loved it. I spent my weekends on fascinating trips all throughout Italy. My CISabroad Advisers also provided me with other opportunities to get the full Italian experience. I lived in a spacious apartment in good proximity to the school and to center city Rome.

While the living accommodations were large and gave plenty of room to live and be, a lot of things went wrong in our apartment such as cabinet doors falling off. We had to provide all of our own cookware, toiletries such as paper towels and toilet paper which made it sometimes difficult because at first we did not know where to get this stuff.

About CISabroad

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience...