IES Abroad Siena – Business & Economics of Italian Food & Wine

Beautiful view of Torre de Mangia
Beautiful view of Torre de Mangia
Piazza del Campo
Piazza del Campo

The intersection of culture and cuisine is taken to the next level in Tuscany, where traditional food and wine are not only a large part of the cultural identity, but also a primary economic contributor.

You will live in the welcoming city of Siena, home to many specialty foods, including hand-rolled pici pasta, crostini with chicken liver, and panforte nut and fruit cake crafted by local, quality-driven producers. It’s here that you’ll enroll in four courses for a total of 12 credits where you will explore how business and economic concepts are woven into the fabric of the Italian food industry. Imagine exploring global marketing strategies one day and visiting a local Brunello wine producer with international distribution the next. How about studying EU agriculture policy and then talking to the owner of an agriturismo farm about how these policies impact his business? Welcome to study abroad!

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Allison

More than I could have imagined!

I had the best time studying abroad with IES in Siena. I loved being in a smaller city because I feel like it gave me the opportunity to become completely immersed in the culture, and I was given more opportunities to practice my Italian language skills. IES truly went above and beyond my expectations through all steps of the study abroad process, from the initial applications to the last day I spent in Siena. All of my classes were very interesting and not something I could have taken at my home university. The professors all wanted us to know the material and truly cared about our progress. The IES staff in Siena were so helpful in answering any questions or tending to our needs, I miss them all! This experience is something that I know I could not have gotten through any other program and one that I will never forget. I cannot wait to return to Siena (hopefully in the near future).

Andrea

Incredible opportunity to explore Italian and world culture

Studying in Siena was an unforgettable experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I had incredible professors, classes that engaged me, and made friendships that will last a lifetime. Our apartment was beautiful, with nice bedrooms and fabulous views of the mountains and the city. The field trips were the perfect addition to our classwork, and what's better than learning over a plate of fresh cheese and a glass of organic wine? The dean and director, Vittoria and Veronica, were incredibly helpful, and always made sure we were well taken care of. The activities in the city itself were incredible, with live music almost every night, parties hosted by the Contradas that we were welcomed to, and student group outings that we were invited to join. Overall, the experience was amazing, and I would highly recommend this program for anyone looking to experience the finest parts of Italian life.

Panoramic View of Siena
Allison

Medieval City with

I absolutely loved being immersed within Italian culture in Siena. Siena is a medieval city with surprises around every corner. It is a small close knit community, that is very safe, and has a unique Sienese culture amongst the contradas (neighborhoods). Everything is within a 20-30 minute walk so it is very easy to get around! Everyone is incredibly helpful and friendly, including all of the staff and professors who work in the IES program. There is always a fun festival going on, or locals gathering at night in the Piazza. I have nothing but positive things to say about Siena! I would often run around the Fortezza to get some exercise, enjoy journaling in the Piazza, try local foods, or speaking with locals. The classes were fun and interesting, and we went on various cultural field trips to wineries and farm to table restaurants, which was certainly a highlight of my overall experience.

This was I believe the first year this program was launched in Siena, at times there was a few organization issues, but overall it ran very smoothly, and I truly enjoyed my experience and the help from all of the staff! The professors and staff went beyond their duty to help us, such as helping finding medicine at the pharmacy, or contacting hotels for us, when language barriers arose.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...