As a quaint town of about 70,000 residents, Siena, Italy feels like a best-kept secret. Nestled in the breathtaking Tuscan countryside, Siena is an amazingly well-preserved medieval city. Immerse yourself in Italian society, cuisine, and culture, while enjoying easy access to the Tuscan capital, the sea and the renowned Tuscan landscape.
Siena will be your classroom. Can you picture visiting Italian organic cheese production facilities, utilizing case studies from local wineries, and exploring the popular Slow Food movement which was born in Italy? Or discovering how the Palio is not simply a horse race, but a combination of rituals, rules and traditions that have roots in the Middle Ages. Our courses take advantage of the region’s many historical, economic, and cultural sites so you get to learn through real-life experience instead of a textbook.
- Get to know Siena through extracurricular activities and cultural events
- Share an apartment with other IES Abroad students in the historic center of town, or get to know the "real" Siena in a homestay
- You have an individual IES Abroad Program Advisor to guide you before your study abroad adventure. From visa requirements to travel details, they are your #1 resource for preparing to study abroad.
- Create your own academic experience by enrolling in English- or Italian-taught courses at the IES Abroad Center or a local partner university, depending on your language level
- From health insurance included in your program fees to a worldwide crisis management team, we work 24/7 to keep you safe, healthy, and happy abroad.
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid
As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.
The intersection of culture and cuisine is taken to the next level in Tuscany, where traditional food and wine are a large part of the cultural identity and a primary economic contributor. You’ll enroll in 4 courses (12 credits) where you'll explore how business and economic concepts are woven into the Italian food industry. Imagine exploring global marketing strategies one day and visiting a local Brunello wine producer with international distribution the next. Welcome to study abroad!
Explore the business and economics of food and wine, or study up on history, language, and culture firsthand with an integrated curriculum of engaging English- and Italian-taught courses led by Italian faculty. IES Abroad Siena offers you the opportunity to increase your Italian language skills no matter what your proficiency level. Customize your academic experience by possibly adding a part-time internship or take a course at the Università degli Studi di Siena.
Discover the history and tradition of the Palio and Contrade of Siena or study the economic, socio-historic, and cultural aspects of Tuscan food by participating in cooking classes and visiting restaurants, gelato laboratories, dairies and vineyards. By combining coursework with study outside the classroom, you will experience the rich cultural heritage of Tuscany.