Athena Study Abroad Program at LdM-Tuscania

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Athena Study Abroad.

Tuscania, Italy is a small town with a lot to offer! Students have the opportunity for deep immersion into Italian culture, whether it's the classes they take, volunteering in the community, or doing a homestay with a local family.

The seemingly untouched Medieval town of Tuscania is home to Lorenzo de' Medici School (LDM) where students can study Italian while taking other electives like Communications or Business. Tuscania also has a strong Archaeology program with an Archaeology Workshop offered in the summer. All of Athena's Italy programs are geared toward students' immersion in the surrounding culture, so the close-knit town of Tuscania is the perfect place for this experience!

Athena will include other trips with the program fee to other major attractions in Italy. Past destinations include Rome, Palace Farnese, Terme dei Papi, and Bolsena Lake. Students will not only experience the small town feel of Tuscania, but also other diverse characteristics of Italian culture.

Anna

Anna Destino Review of Athena Study Abroad in Tuscania, Italy

In the summer of 2017, I had the privilege of traveling to Tuscania, Italy for a month with Athena Study Abroad. I studied Wine and Culture where my professor Claudio Sarti, a wine sommelier, taught how various wines are made, differences between certain grapes, wine regionalism, and how to properly taste wine. I was even able to bring my new wine skills back to my home where I taught my immediate and extended family about Italian wine and tasting techniques. In addition, I was able to learn so much about the importance of getting to know another culture as well as stepping outside of your comfort zone. This is an important experience for all able students to undergo; because you learn how to communicate in alternative means if you do not speak the native language, build lifelong friendships, learn about the interconnectedness of the globe, learn about the history of a new culture through tourism, and experience a new culture through education. Not only are you fully emerged into Italian culture, but studying abroad provides for learning about the methods and teachings of international universities. Tuscania is such a unique program because it is located in a small town tucked in the Italian countryside. This experience is like no other because you form bonds with locals you may see every day at the town center. Furthermore, the staff at Lorenzo de' Medici are phenomenal. Every Friday the staff took us on an adventure around the region. We toured a winery, visited a park full of stone carvings, went to a cherry festival, and walked around an old town. The experience I had was incredible because I truly was immersed in Italian culture where most townspeople did not know English, therefore I was forced to communicate with a lot of hand gestures. Unlike studying in Rome or Florence where most people speak English, I was fully integrated into Italian culture. Because Tuscania is an hour from Rome and three hours from Florence, I had the opportunity to travel to both cities for fun weekend trips with the friends I made through the program. I now have a broader understanding of the interconnectedness of the world and how important it is to get to know a different culture especially because the world is becoming so much smaller through social media.

This program can be improved in the options for weekend travel that are provided for the school. Some of the friends I met went through another study abroad program and they paid extra to visit Florence. I also visited Florence but had to do all the travel research on my own. I did learn valuable planning skills, but it would be nice to have a package upgrade for some weekend adventures.
Read my full story