Study Abroad in Florence Italy at Istituto Europeo

Christmas lights in Italy
Christmas lights in Italy
Woman drinking water outlooking Florence
Woman drinking water outlooking Florence

Study in Florence, Italy, with Istituto Europeo and join the semester and summer academic programs. Courses offered include Italian language, Music, Liberal Arts, and Social Sciences. Istituto Europeo has been working with some US University and worldwide agencies to provide students who wish to study in Italy some valuable international experience. The medium for instruction is English for all offered courses, except for Italian language courses.

Students have the option to choose Intersession, Spring, Fall, Summer, Sessions, or a Full Year Session program. Intensive language courses are available and students can choose to have three elective academic courses added to the language program. Instructors for Music courses are prominent and well-known musicians and lyrical singers.

• Introductory Italian Language Courses
  • Specialized and Core Modules in a Variety of Subjects
  • Internship Program in Local Businesses (ONLY for Diplomas and Dual Diplomas)
  • Preparation CILS Test for Admission to Bachelor's Degree at Italian Universities (ONLY for Dual Diplomas)

Popular Programs

Street in italy

This course combines top-tier business courses and special modules in hospitality management with a practical 6-month internship in local tourism-related businesses, making Istituto Europeo’s Diploma in TTHM the perfect theoretical and practical preparation to embark on an active and rewarding career within one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing industries. Restaurants, museums, hotels, travel agencies and galleries – all look to hire students from our program!

Students in class

Combining specialized modules in hospitality and Italian language courses with a 6-months training project at local tourism-related enterprises, IE’s Dual Diploma in Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Management introduces students to both the world of work and of higher education in one of the world’s largest and most dynamic sectors.

Music Courses at Istituto Europeo of Florence

Istituto Europeo offers a wide range of music courses: music history, opera, vocal technique, and instrumental courses. Music programs are tailored to each student's interests and can be taken up for as short as two weeks to as long as a year. For more than 20 years, the Music Department of the Istituto Europeo has carried out an intense didactic and productive activity by offering high-level professional courses and monthly concerts, both inside the institute and at important historical places.

Nada

Perfect Way to Travel!

In Istituto Europeo I did not only learn the language (which was fully entertaining , practical , and informative about the culture) , but I had the most wonderful teacher who was a friend to enjoy talking to and a cultural guide through the stories of Italy. Also the staff were spectacular and extremely helpful. They were able to make my trip to Firenze worth every minute. They helped me plan my wonderful weekends, showed me where dance schools are, and of course very delightful to talk to at anytime. Not to mention their patient music teachers who bring out the best in you. And finally , arranging a concert for students to play in front of an audience is an exciting chance to all. I highly recommend this place for anyone interested to immerse in Italian culture.

Heba

Best way to end my summer :D

hello i come from saudi arabia and I'm a medicine student....its my graduation year so therefor its my last summer before internship...deciding to come to italy was a great choice..
i came to italy to learn the language and I'm so lucky i enroll in istituto europeo
great administration and wonderful teachers..all fo them helped me a lot academacally and around the city. I got instruction for anything I needed. They brought me, hand to hand, till the completion of the course!

thank you so much for making this summer a summer to remember :D

Ana Maria

Un completo e intenso aprendizaje

He aprendido mucho acerca de la técnica vocal y de la voz en general. Me ha servido de mucho y los profesores son muy buenos. Lo aconsejo 100%.
Me ha sido muy útil los ejercicios dados y la práctica de ellos algo que me ayudará a entender mejor el mecanismo de la voz para enseñar a mis alumnos. Me han animado a cantar lo cual haré cuando llegue a España. Muchas gracias por todo. Han sido muy amables y profesionales. ¡realmente no puedes pedir algo mejor hoy en Florencia, o tal vez en Italia! Créeme!

Bartholomew

From New York to Florence!

I am a student at New York Manhattan College and I studied at the Istituto Europeo of Florence during the 2015. Istituto Eurpeo is a great school to learn Italian and to be immersed with many other cultures as well. It's very internationally oriented and its students come from all around the world, which, to me, is an absolute PLUS! Very small class sizes which is great for learning a language.At times, I wished that the school had more students (only about 20) but in the end I got that working for me, which is fine! The school does offer some great programs, all in all!

Chrisni

From Sri Lanka to Florence, Istituto Europeo

I’m attending Italian language classes in the morning. For music classes I do Repertoire class, just recapping on what repertoire is; the teachers helps me out in expressing and placing the voice in my pieces. Then I’m doing Libretto class which is

mainly to analyze the text and discover really what the characters are alike in opera. Now I’m focusing on Don Giovanni because I love it, it’s a beautiful opera. And then last class is Diction class, because I’m not Italian so I don’t know how to speak Italian and get the Italian pronunciation, especially when I sing. I definitely enjoy the program: the classes are really useful. I feel that I’m improving: before I came here I had a huge problem with my Italian, people couldn’t understand me when I was singing. Now my Italian is getting better and people understand me! I would definitely recommend this program. For singers, I really recommend to go to the place where the music was born, because you get a full understanding of what the culture was like and what the people were like. For example, the little characters in opera are born from Italy, they were actual people at that time. If you are here you see these people, you see them walking, laughing, eating and you see how it was like.

Olivia

Young American singer studied opera at Istituto Europeo

I’m doing first level Italian and vocal technique with Monica. Then Italian diction with Valeria and Repertoire with Francesca. I really enjoy the courses and I feel like I’m improving a lot: all the teachers are incredibly gifted and they really know what they are talking about, which is good. Florence is beautiful, there’s so much art everywhere. All the museums are great, even the buildings are beautiful, which is nice. What I like about Florence is that there is art everywhere. If a friend was looking to study this sort of things and take it seriously, then I would recommend this program

Tanya

Pianista y profesora en la Universidad de Costa Rica

Sono una pianista e lavoro all’università in Costa Rica come insegnante di pianoforte e come pianista specializzata nell’accompagnamento. Da 20 anni sono anche insegnante in un corso di musica per bambini. Firenze mi piace molto, è una città bellissima con dei paesaggi unici. E’ molto diversa dal Costa Rica, ed è un luogo privilegiato per chi ama la musica: ci sono tantissimi spettacoli ed eventi a cui assistere. Sto frequentando all’Istituto Europeo un corso di italiano per migliorare la mia conoscenza della lingua ed un corso di pianoforte d’accompagnamento. Dato che il mio lavoro in Costa Rica è proprio pianista d’accompagnamento, mi interessa conoscere la tradizione di accompagnamento d’opera. Il corso mi piace e mi trovo molto bene, i professori sono molto bravi e l’ambiente della scuola è molto piacevole.

Ernesto

Tenor y profesor de la Universidad de Costa Rica

Mi nombre es Ernesto Rodriguez, vengo de Costa Rica y soy profesor de la Universidad de Costa Rica. Tengo 47 años, soy un tenor y enseño canto. Vine en Italia a estudiar italiano; pero no pensaba en Florencia como la ciudad que es, una ciudad historica

y llena de cultura, de arte... ¡Un museo a cielo abierto! He conocido la información del Istituto Europeo por internet y me pareció que la oferta de estudio era interesante. Entonces, cuanto ye estuve aquí me he sentido muy impresionado y contento de estar en Florencia, porqué además que estoy estudiando italiano y música, cuando salgo de las clases puedo alimentarme el alma del espíritu artístico y de todas las manifestaciones artísticas que ofrece una ciudad como Florencia. Estoy llevando el curso intensivo de italiano y me gustó mucho la forma de trabajo de ambas las profesoras que tenimos. También estoy llevando un curso de canto, con Valeria y Diego, los dos con diferentes formas pedagógicas pero para mí fue enriquecedor de ver la manera en que ellos explican la parte técnica del canto. También trabajo con Fabio, llevo un curso de historia de la música italiana. Por último el curso de lírica de cámara con Francesca: estoy muy contento, me ha ayudado mucho. Con ella vine a trabajar una ópera que tengo que cantar pronto en Costa Rica: Francesca tiene una forma maravillosa de entender la música, he aprendido mucho. Entonces, para mis estudiantes eso es el consejo: vengan al Istituto Europeo, porqué yo me he sentido muy contento. Me dieron una oportunidad maravillosa de conocer Florencia y gente tan amable, porqué todos nos han tratado muy bien. Aquí al Istituto nos han acogido con amabilidad y amistad, y todos los que trabajan aquí son como una familia y uno siente ese calor. También los servicios que ofrecen, me parece que el Istituto Europeo se convierte en una alternativa agradable y con un alto nivel de calidad

Tiffany

From Canada to ISTITUTO EUROPEO in Florence, to study opera singing

I chose Italy and Florence for my music studies because I had just entered a point in my life where I was, and still am, “starting over”, it made sense to me that I wanted to go back to the beginning in all other aspects regarding this change. So, it was logical that in order for me to understand the city where opera was born I needed to move to Florence, which just happens to be in the beautiful country that is Italy. My experience at Istituto Europeo has been absolutely positive, I would recommend the same experience to a friend. My teacher, Valeria, is very good. She places importance on every aspect of my life, not only the voice – but nutrition and my physical health as well - now I run 5 days a week!

Maria

Joven soprano costarricense y estudiante curso de técnica del canto

Me llamo Maria, vengo de Costa Rica, y soy estudiante de canto en la Univesidad de Costa Rica. Estoy perfeccionando no solo la parte musical sino la parte de la cultura: me gusta mucho también el arte, la danza y la pintura. Soy soprano. Estoy frecuentando el curso intensivo de italiano, que ha sido muy interesante y me ha gustado mucho; he aprendido mucho para estar poco tiempo. Despues estoy llevando el curso de técnica del canto, donde tuve la oportunidad di estar con Valeria y con Diego: excelentes los dos. Con ellos ha sido muy claro y muy fácil de entender, entonces me ha gustado mucho. La ciudad de Florencia es mágica. Es una ciudad muy rica en cultura, no solo en música, sino también en arte en general. Es muy impresionante también ver estos grandes edificios de tantos años atrás: es muy rico no solo en arquitectura, sino también en el lenguaje – aquí el italiano es facil de entender, ¡en Roma no entendíamos nada! Por eso, me he sentido muy a gusto en la ciudad.

José

Tenor costarricense y estudiante del Istituto Europeo

Me llamo José Daniel, y soy de Costa Rica. Me gusta cantar, es mi profesion: soy un tenor. También toco guitara, piano, escribo música... Soy un músico. Escogí Florencia porqué de antemano ya sabía que esta ciudad es una cuna del arte en Italia

y casi en el mundo en general. Hay muchisimo arte, no solo de la parte del canto, sino escultores, pintores, arquitéctos. Entonces escogí Florencia para estudiar la lengua, puesto que aquí comenzó casi todo lo que tiene que ver con la lengua italiana y la ópera: Florencia es una ciudad somamente importante para Italia. En el Istituto Europeo estoy frecuentando un curso de italiano, un curso de libreto de ópera y un curso de canto con dos profesores; todos los cursos me gustan mucho. En particular, me gusta muchisimo la clase de libreto, el profesor Fabio es una persona muy amable, inteligente y tiene mucho vocabulario y facilidad para explicar una cosa, encuentra siempre los ejemplos. También la clase de canto con Valeria es muy buena, me aclaró muchas cosas, y con Diego lo mismo: es práctico, rápido, me gusta su forma de enseñar.

Vincent

Vincent, Opera Singer at ISTITUTO EUROPEO

I was looking for language schools in Florence and Istituto Europeo came out first. Then I realized that Monica Benvenuti was teaching at Istituto Europeo. Basically yes, Monica made me decide to come to Istituto Europeo. I have a friend who studied here

with Monica Benvenuti and for this reason I knew that she is a great teacher. Monica expects a lot from me…but she’s very motivating. Here in Italy you have teachers that teach only one subject, they are specialized in one subject and this is good, because you can concentrate solely on one subject at one time.

Dina

Canadian soprano at ISTITUTO EUROPEO for a Study Abroad in Music

When I was researching places to study in Italy, I came across Istituto Europeo and I kind of just knew I had to study here. I researched the teachers at Istituto Europeo and came across Susanna Rigacci. I listened to her singing on YouTube, then I spoke

to my teachers back home and they all agreed that she would be the right choice for me. Before coming here I was focusing completely on technique and Susanna gave me the opportunity to actually sing and blossom in my own singing style. The Study Abroad experience changed me in a lot of ways. It taught me to be independent: being alone in another country made me stronger mentally and taught me to be my own support system. I would definitely recommend this experience to students. Especially If you are studying opera as I do. I think it has helped me to grow, and to learn a lot. Studying Italian in Italy (as studying any language in its home country) is extremely helpful, because you are forced to speak it with people who don’t understand you. Studying Italian here helped me immensely to learn it much quicker. But also singing: where else you can study opera if not in Italy?

Kelsey

Study abroad

When I was going to istituto Europeo to do my study abroad program I didn't know what to expect. I entered the room on the first day and it was just 6 of us during orientation. At first I was a little taken back, I was expecting a huge college program with different students from different universities from the states; that wasn't it at all. Long story short I really enjoyed the classes being small, it really gave us the opportunity to get to know our teachers and get on a personal level with them (professionally). I really enjoyed my time abroad at istituto Europeo, I would recommend anyone to go.

Charlie

Hoe overleef ik... Florence?

Eind zomer 2015 besloot ik voor drie maanden te gaan studeren in Florence. Italië is op zich geen vreemd land voor mij, want ik kom hier al jaren in de zomervakantie. Toch vroeg ik me in het vliegtuig, op de heenweg, wel even af waar ik nou in godsnaam aan begonnen was. Enerzijds was ik ontzettend benieuwd naar het ontdekken van deze stad, anderzijds vond ik het ook spannend om me alleen in een vreemde stad in een vreemd land te begeven. Achteraf kan ik zeggen dat ik een fantastische tijd heb gehad. Dit zal me voor de rest van mijn leven bijblijven.
Met dank aan Istituto Europeo heb ik de taal pas echt goed leren spreken. Daarnaast had ik veel profijt van de Italiaanse docenten, die mij in detail konden uitleggen wat bijvoorbeeld een handgebaar of spreekwoord inhield. Het fijne aan Istituto Europeo is dat de taallessen alleen in de ochtend zijn. Dat betekent dat je de hele middag de tijd hebt om op eigen houtje (of met je nieuwe vrienden) de stad te verkennen. Florence is daar de perfecte stad voor. Er zijn talloze musea en bezienswaardigheden, maar ook café's, markten en restaurants. Zelfs na drie maanden in Florence te hebben gewoond heb ik het gevoel dat ik zo veel dingen nog niet heb gezien. Gelukkig zijn er bij Istituto Europeo nog aanvullende cursussen die je een beetje wegwijs maken in de overdaad aan kunst en cultuur in deze stad. Ik heb naast de taallessen ook kunstgeschiedenis gevolgd. Hierin heb ik veel geleerd over de kunst uit de middeleeuwen en de renaissance die Florence bezit.
Ik kan Istituto Europeo aanraden, omdat je hier met open armen wordt ontvangen door een groep lieve mensen. Ik heb veel van ze geleerd, en zonder deze taal- en cultuurcursussen had ik het lang niet zo leuk gevonden.