API Study Abroad Alumni Network

API Study Abroad Alumni Network

API Study Abroad is a mission-driven organization dedicated to helping their participants through their experience, quality service/support, variety and convenience. Not to mention, they strive to give you more for your buck!

Their alumni network page is dedicated to programs no longer in session, but nonetheless had a direct impact on the lives of the participants all over the globe.

Alumni of programs no longer in session are encouraged to leave a review of their past experience with API. To view alumni reviews, click on the "Ratings and Reviews" tab below. For more information about API Study Abroad and for a current list of all available programs, check out their website or their profile on Go Overseas!

J-Term
Maymester
Winter
Year Round

Heather
Madrid, Spain
Colorado State University

For the Adventurer

First of all, Chile is an awesome place to go if you want to experience all types of scenery, practice your Spanish, eat awesome food, and meet some of the kindest people in the world! Chile has the driest desert in the world, an amazing coast, mountains in Patagonia, and so much more. No matter where you are, there is so much to see. That being said, pack for all climates if you choose to study here because likely you'll want to see a little bit of everything!

As far as the university goes, it was a nice mixture of courses taught in English as well as Spanish so that you can do what is best for your current level. They also have a great program that allows you to volunteer while you are there. I chose to teach English a few hours a week and others did activities with the local orphanage, planted seeds at gardens, spent time with disabled people at the hospital, and a few other things.

Lastly, my host family really made me fall in love with Chile. They became my second family while I was there and we have kept in touch since. They were the kindest people ever and it was also really good for me to practice my Spanish. You must stay with a host family if you go here!

Safe travels! :)

Some of the courses were really difficult and in others I learned little. It would be nice if this was balanced a little bit more.

Sally
Texas
Southwestern College

Cultural Embrace- Language Living in Peru

Living with a host family is unlike any other experience you'll have. It is the best way to immerse yourself in the culture, no matter what country you're in. Being open to drastic differences in culture is essential; I saw something new every day between anything from mannerisms of my host family and people I met to something as simply as the weather each day.

It's always difficult to fork over expenses for the program and the flight, especially as a student. If there is any way to keep costs down, I would be even more likely to recommend the program to more people.

Becky
Fort Collins, CO

Spanish Au Pair

I spent 8 months living in Madrid Spain as an au pair for three young children. A typical day would involve eating lunch with my kids when they came home during the school day and helping them get back to school. After school I would help their mother get everyone organized, as almost every day a different child had an after school activity. I would help them with their English homework and play games with them in English to improve their speaking and vocabulary skills. I would help with the preparation and clean up of dinner, and then help get the children in bed. After that I was free to have my own time. I also was free to have my own time on the weekends and when the kids were at school. For the first three months I spent a majority of this free time taking Spanish classes.

The price of the program is a bit excessive. Although the staff at Cultural Embrace were incredibly helpful when I needed help, I did not find myself in need of their assistance very often. For the amount of help I needed and work they did the price of the program was incredibly high.

Chris
Texas State University

You think you know, but you have no idea!

I originally met the folks at Cultural Embrace (CE) during a internship/study abroad fair at Texas State University. We started talking about what I was looking for in an internship, and it kind of sounded to good to be true. We had discussed doing an internship and I would just have to pay for a plane ticket. For CE, I would have to take pictures and keep a blog of what I was doing. I had recently bought a DSLR camera and really enjoyed writing. So that was the initial process.

I ended up choosing China, since I thought it would be a place I would never go to on my own. I'm not sure the set up now, but I went all over China and did the following: 2 weeks in an ancient village with the Yao minority, adventure treks in Yangshou (my favorite part because of rock climbing and a lot of hiking), life changing week at an orphanage in Changsha, amazing week a Panda reserve in the Sechuan province, and then taught English in Yantai.

It was all absolutely amazing!!! I kept in touch throughout my time over there, but I also had in country contacts that arranged transportation and lodging. You have to be okay with adventure, and if you are, this will be a trip of a lifetime. I encountered both men and woman of a wide variety of ages that all had a great time. I felt very safe the whole time and highly highly (that was on purpose) recommend this.

I was there in 2009, so I don't hang on to a lot of bad memories. The rain in the south was pretty crappy, and the mosquitoes sucked... The orphanage was really sad and made me feel guilty for ever being a selfish kid and wanting anything. That was good though too.

Faith
Tennessee
Butler University

Au Pairing in Spain

Cultural Embrace did a wonderful job answering all of my questions before and during my stay in Spain. I knew what to expect and how to use my free time to really take advantage of living in another culture.

I really wanted to learn the language and as anyone being immersed for the first time will tell you, adjusting at the beginning is difficult but completely worth it. You must go out of your comfort zone to learn as much as you can about the other culture, making sure you approach every new experience with an open mind. Go join a local gym and take exercise classes or go to a festival advertised on a poster.

As a native english speaking au pair, my main objective was to teach the children English. I played games and encouraged them to speak each afternoon after school and on Saturdays. During my free time, I taught some private English lessons, went to the local gym, had an intercambio, or met another au pair friend for coffee.

This truly changed my life and vacationing somewhere will never replace actually living in an area for an extended period of time. You can form relationships with those around you and be immersed in not only the language but an entirely new culture.

I highly recommend traveling as an au pair because you can be a part of the family life of another culture while having the free time to see so much more.

They were a little pricier than some other agencies but the people at Cultural Embrace were knowledgeable and communicated quickly. I felt much more comfortable knowing I had an agency that supported me while I was thousands of miles away from home.

kroser
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Teaching in Barcelona

Teaching English to a family in Barcelona was the greatest experiences! I did not have much teaching experience prior to my trip. However, the Cultural Embrace Staff really helped me feel comfortable with my teaching abilities and they gave me tons of great teaching info and lesson plans. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a cost effective way to travel abroad.

Riya
Vancouver, British Columbia
Vancouver Community College

The Buenos Aires Experience!

I went to Buenos Aires for an internship in June 2012 for two months. It was my first trip flying solo and my first time in South America too! So yea I had nerves!

My host family was the best! They were the sweetest old couple and reminded me of my own grandparents :)

For one month I took spanish classes at Mundo Espanol and then for the second month I worked at a hostel.

At the hostel I worked Wednesday - Sunday from 8:30 am til 2:30 pm and I helped with serving breakfast in the mornings, and then in the afternoons I would assist the receptionist with reservations and promote day-to-day activities.

Overall I would definitely reccomend this for anyone who really wants to explore a new country or city and experience an amazing culture. I made lots of friends, had great memories and now I feel like it's my second home!

Cultural Embrace is a wonderful organization, and I truly appreciate all the support they have offered me.

However, when I arrived at the airport I had a bit of trouble trying to find my program coordinator etc. I also think there were a few miscommunications about my arrival and departure dates.

So I would reccomend that they bring someone who is bilingual to the airport, this way the visitor won't feel so lost.

But other than that, everything fell into place and went smoothly!

jaw7385
Gainesville, Florida

Awesome Program!

This is a fantastic trip for anyone who is interested in food marketing, production, supply chain management, logistics and even culinary arts. The trip is rather brisk and you don't get much rest, but honestly why would you want to? Most days start at or before dawn and the experience the student receives unforgettable. This was my 2nd trip to Europe and it did not disappoint. Dr. Sterns has spent extensive time in France and he understands the language. It's as good as having a local take you to all the best spots. Not only does this study abroad provide an excellent educational experience, it also exposes the student to the cultural and historical venues in the country. Highly recommended.

ufgator11
Gainesville, Florida
University of Florida

Highly recommend this experience!!

When I chose to partake in this week long program, I had no idea how much I would gain. While my group had free time to explore, the schedule was rigorous and every minute with the staff was dedicated to getting the most out of the experience. Professor Sterns is sharp, fun to be around, and familiar with the metro/transportation methods; your time will not be wasted!

I broadened my understanding of food marketing and production as well as the cultural differences exisiting between the US and France. I can't think of a better atmosphere/city to explore everything food. I was able to tour Rungis, the largest food market in the world; partake in a gourmet food tour (which was incredible); hear a lecture by an OECD representative; and learn the French perspective on food production. While having these opportunities, I didn't miss ascending the Eiffel Tower or experiencing the Louvre, the Notre Dame, and the Saint-Michel. We took an awesome, educational boat ride down the Seine, completed an AOC cheese tasting, visited a massive trade show, and participated in a scavenger hunt. The scavenger hunt took place at the end of the week and involved everything we learned about communication, French food production/marketing (AOC, differentiation, organics), and the beautiful city itself! Collecting our scavenged goods, we met at the Tuliers Gardens and had the best picnic I've ever experienced.

If you're thinking about it, I would definitely say go for it!!

Daniel
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Food Fun and France

Honestly, this program was everything I was looking for and more. Not only was the academic environment pertinent to our major but it shed an exciting light on what the future holds. This class provided an excellent social atmosphere in which we could learn actively and enjoy ourselves along with everything the city has to offer.

Dr. Sterns and the rest of the staff were amazing to say the least. Rungis was a once in a lifetime experience but the culmination for me was the scavenger hunt that tested everything we learned throughout the week. Soooooo much fun I wish I could do every country in the world like this. Don't miss out

bellesudiste
Duval County, Florida

See France from where it matters- it's food and wine!

I will remember this program for the rest of my life. Our activities and excursions were so wonderful because there were things someone visiting Paris on their own would either not be able to do or not think to do. We attended the Foie de Paris, a huge fair/expo that featured goods from all across Europe. Most memorable was our tour of Rungis, the world's largest wholesale food market, as seen on the Paris episode of No Reservations. It was such an experience, and so unique being able to see all the food (and flowers) from all around the world in one place.

Rick
Gainesville
University of Florida

I had a great time and learned a lot!!!!!!!!

Commodities to Cafes was a great trip throughout which I was able to learn a lot about French agricultural practices, food marketing, and terroir. When you're not participating in class, field trips, or scavenger hunts there is plenty of time to sight see.

Dr. Sterns is one of the most knowledgeable professors I have ever had the pleasure of studying under as well as an excellent guide to Paris.

Becca
Greenville, SC

Being a Teacher in China

Cultural Embrace has made my experience in China worthwhile and extremely memorable. Firstly, one of the things that attracted me to this program was its affordability: $500 plus plane ticket fare. I only paid for food and souvenirs; Cultural Embrace paid for our apartment, which was located conveniently in downtown Beijing and beside the Silk Market. As an added bonus, I received $250 back after I sent in 3 reflections after the trip. This was easily the cheapest trip I've been on. Also, the support staff was wonderful: Emlyn Lee, the founder of Cultural Embrace, is a very outgoing and dedicated woman. She even accompanied the China group for awhile to make sure everything was running in good order.

China is a very crazy place, I won't lie. However, I believe that this is what made the entire trip unforgettable. The social life is great,especially in Beijing, where I was placed. The students I worked with ranged from 13 to 18 years old; yet, all were eager to learn and were extremely friendly. Also, the +20 people I traveled with were exceptional, and I am still in contact with many of them today.

All in all, I really enjoyed my trip to China with Cultural Embrace, and I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who loves to experience new places and cultures. Good luck!

The mission of API is to transform lives by providing enriching academic and cross-cultural experiences that foster increased self-knowledge, cultural sensitivity and understanding of the global nature of our contemporary world.

*The former API Cultural Embrace and Aspire by API listings are now merged under