Business & Economics in Europe

Crowning of Carnival Prince
Crowning of Carnival Prince
Maastricht- St. Peter's Mountain
Love those cobblestone streets!
Historic Maastricht
Sunset over the Maas

The European Union (EU) is a major global trading power. With the introduction of the Euro and EU enlargement, key steps towards integration were taken to increase European prosperity and competitiveness. However, with the fragile economic recovery in the Euro-zone and the repercussions of Brexit, what is the future of the European economic experiment?

Maastricht gained international fame as the birthplace of the Euro, and is located between the major economic centres of Brussels, London, Frankfurt and Amsterdam, making it the ideal place for educating and training the global business leaders and economists of tomorrow.

Your adventure begins with a study trip to Berlin. Besides that, there are two cultural day/weekends trips included too that will take you to several cities in the Netherlands and to Paris.

• Apply your business and economics knowledge beyond the classroom;
  • Combines strong academics with integrated field trips and unique hands-on experiences;
  • Choose courses that meet your interest from over 400 courses offered.

Nathan

The Quintessential Gateway to Europe

Maastricht is a beautiful combination of vibrant urban life with laid-back scenery. It has abundant safe, clean parks and public green spaces and also busy shopping centers and historical monuments. Perhaps best of all, it's essentially located right in the center of Western Europe, which makes it straightforward to visit the entire continent while you're here.

The courses I've taken have required a uniquely high dose of self-discipline and comfortability with unclear expectations. They are radically different from what I'm used to, and I'm not convinced that they're super effective for traditional learning, but I've learned a lot nevertheless in other areas tangential to what's on the exam.

The CES staff are fabulous. They're a diverse group of motivated and engaging people dedicated to making our lives as exchange students fulfilling and uncomplicated.

Throwing myself at a brand new country, new continent, has been challenging in all the right ways. I've made worldwide friends, learned new skills, absorbed cultural experiences, and genuinely improved my life.

Make sure you fully understand the difference between the two airports in Brussels. I've heard way to many travel horror stories...
L.Y.

Study Abroad while Studying Abroad

As I am currently pursuing a Bachelor degree in U.S, going abroad to Netherland is doing a study abroad while studying abroad.
I have never been to Europe before, and this first time European culture immersion experience had been very fun!
The PBL session is quiet a unique style that of learning encourages students to step out their comfort zone and stimulates their full potential. The students here are very engaging, and the class discussion has always been active.
The Center for European Staff members are very warm and welcoming, it's like a pair of warm hands you get in Netherland to guide you through the hardest stage within study abroad.
Looking back to three months ago, I am impressed by how much I learned about Europe.
To conclude, I am very glad that I chose to study abroad in Maastricht University, Netherland. This experience has again transformed and enriched my view of the world.

Andrew

Maastricht University

I have opened my mind by listening to worldly people and hearing their perspective.
CES is like your cool parent. They will make sure you are in the best class and are well looked after. They demonstrate the really care about their students. I really learned to overlook the small things in life and appreciate my privileges. Sometimes there is no air conditioning or I have to bike to class in the rain, but I had the time of my life. Maastricht feels like home. Nothing compares to stepping off train at night in Maastricht station. The city is so international, people from foreign countries don't feel like outsiders; Everyone is welcome in Maastricht. Study abroad is a time for learning others experiences and maturing as a person. I was able to meet people from all over the world. It is a time I will never forget

More integration with European students would be greatly appreciated
Isla

A Magical Place Nestled Between Belgium and Germany

Thankful for the adventures and experiences I’ve had, immersing myself into a one of a kind system - Problem Based Learning. I am lucky to have worked hard independently and together with members of different cultures. My experience at the business school has been so rewarding and I have learnt so much.

The CES staff are a diverse group of motivating, experienced mentors who have worked hard to make my time abroad the best experience possible. They organized two amazing trips to Paris and Berlin which are among my favourite memories from my time abroad.

Maastricht has become one of my favourite cities and I cannot wait to come back. Perhaps when I am ready to complete my graduate studies, I will return and call Maastricht home again!

Linh

A semester in Maastricht

I really enjoyed my time in Maastricht. The program was well constructed and left us with plenty of time to travel and explore Europe. The staff were very welcoming and extremely helpful, I really appreciate what they have done for us. For the academic aspect, we took the program specific courses for exchange students and also other regular courses at Maastricht University as well. It was fun and also challenging with a different style of studying. So yes, you won't be disappointed!

Joshua

Could not recommend more!

Best experience of my life. I met so many wonderful friends. One thing that separates this program from others is that most of my friends were either Dutch students or other abroad students from around the globe. Most other programs allowed one to primarily just get close with other American's abroad. The guesthouse where exchange students live is also so much fun. Pick you classes wisely though, academics are not as easy as on other exchange programs.

Xinyan

Best decision ever

Choosing to study abroad at Maastricht University is the best decision I have made. I enjoyed the country, knowing the culture, traveling around Europe, and meeting so many new people. It really allows me to have a more global mind.
The staff are very supportive, and the problem-based learning system was new but a good experience. I enjoyed having a great balance between traveling, exploring European countries and studying. Rather than having intensive 5-6 classes at the same time in the US, I find studying abroad a great escape from the intensity to learn the culture and the real world through traveling. It broadened my horizon and made me more independent too. After experiencing European lifestyle, I will be able to make better decisions in the future that fits myself the most.

Peter

American Guy Falls in Love with Maastricht

We learn about the current and emerging economics and business dynamics of the European market, especially the European Union, through a comprehensive program of academic classes and co-curricular trips.Through the program, combined with our residential exchange experience in Maastricht, we gain a deeper understanding of both the Dutch role in Europe as well Europe's role in the world. The Problem-based education style encourages an active and engaged style of learning that allows you to more fully grasp the lessons of the class.

From the first day, the CES staff has made Maastricht a home for countless international exchange students, fostering a sense of community among students and challenging us to go outside our comfort zones to explore the Netherlands and Europe. They have provided all necessary ingredients and more for our exchange semester to be a smashing success and continually go above and beyond to help us succeed.

Throughout this semester, I've integrated my classroom education and extracurricular activities, like student organizations and traveling, better than ever before through my experience in Maastricht. I've met amazing people, seen beautiful cities and changed the way I approach many aspects of my life and education due to the experiences I've gained this semester. I've also gained a new appreciation for Dutch grocery stores and become a better cook!