Positive Psychology

What makes life worth living? People have always been driven by the pursuit of happiness and hope for the future. While this may seem at first an idealistic notion, it has found its place in positive psychology. For much of the 20th century, “What is wrong with people” has guided the thinking of many psychologists, dominating countless scientific studies and rooting the field in pathology. Founded over a decade ago by University of Pennsylvania professor Martin Seligman, positive psychology asks instead ‘what is right with people’. Human strengths, such as courage, future-mindedness, optimism, and interpersonal skills act as buffers against mental illness. Positive psychology, therefore, is devoted to understanding and learning how to build these positive qualities in order to improve people’s well-being and help to promote the “good life”.

Why Not learn all about what makes life worth living, while living in the Netherlands?

• Participate in a series of hands-on workshops
  • Attend interactive lectures, work on specific real-life cases, and give presentations
  • Gain skills in preventative care and how to combat mental illness
  • Join cultural weekend trips for practical experiences

Ash

Enagaging, educational and exciting!

I absolutely loved my time at Maastricht University. The content of the positive psychology course was very informative and I felt hat the teachers were extremely knowledgeable and very happy to answer questions about heir own studies outside of classes. I have made some amazing friends that I bonded with not only in our classes by weekend trips to Belgium and Amsterdam. The best experience as a young traveller going solo and I felt so comfortable being in Maastricht.

Emily

All that and a bag of stroopwaffel.

Everything about our Maastricht experience was wonderful. The food, the people, the support and the education. The sights, the tours and the atmosphere of Maastricht. I have the most incredible memories and I have made lifelong friends. The academic experiences have pushed me outside my comfort zone and will be something I always remember. My career goals have changed and I cannot thank those involved enough for my new lease on life.

I don't know that it can. It was the most incredible experience I've ever had.
Giulia

Exceeded all expectations!

Every aspect of my time in Maastricht completely exceeded my expectations! The course was fascinating, and presented in a very novel way - as students we had a lot of autonomy in our studies, and we're able to focus on the areas that most interested us for the assignments. I always felt so supported, both by the academic staff, and also the CES program coordinators. Our time there was packed full of interesting activities and cultural excursions. I treasure the friendships that I made during my time in Maastricht, and loved the city so much I'm already planning on going back! I would highly recommend this program!

About CES Maastricht University

Maastricht University (UM), the most international university in the Netherlands, stands out for its innovative approach to learning and international outlook. With almost 16,000 students and 4,000 staff, UM offers a wide choice of academic...