IFSA: University of Otago Partnership

Kia ora! We're so excited that you're preparing to study abroad on an IFSA program and have chosen the University of Otago as your destination. Otago is located in Dunedin, an amazing college town conveniently located near the great outdoor sights of New Zealand's South Island. The University of Otago was the first university in NZ and offers a wide range of subjects, which makes it an ideal location for any student. With an unrivaled campus experience, Otago has a vibrant social and cultural life.

New Zealand offers some of the best scenery in the world. Hike, swim, climb and explore everything this amazingly beautiful country has to offer. IFSA's role is to provide you with the best student support services, and also to run a fun and exciting program of events for you throughout the semester. Sign up with IFSA today to begin the journey of a lifetime!

Ian

Review of University of Otago, New Zealand

When people say they had the time of their lives, it's never possibly for anyone to really understand what that means. Mine was encapsulated with hiking, camping, surfing, and meeting some of the best friends I have ever made. I found my true passion in life, and I felt like I had everything I could dream of within my grasp. When I describe my experience, it say it as a utopia - and that would even be an understatement. The only problem I have, looking back, is that I didn't do enough, even though I did everything and beyond.

Honestly, nothing. IFSA did a remarkable job bringing a group of 50+ students who didn't know a thing about each other into a new country and making them a family. I wouldn't change a single thing.
Allison

Best 5 Months of my Life

If you're questioning whether or not to study abroad, the answer is DO IT. From the moment I arrived in New Zealand, I was in love. The nature was absolutely incredible, from the unbelievably clear, blue water in the lakes and oceans to the jagged, glacier-ridden mountain peaks, to the endless, green rolling hills covered in sheep! University of Otago was the perfect location to explore South Island, as there were endless amazing hikes and landscapes within four hours drive away. I spent almost every weekend going on backpacking trips around the island, and over the mid-semester break, some friends and I took a 10 day roadtrip all over South Island. There was also a ton to do in Dunedin itself. Living in North Dunedin, there were amazing hikes within half an hour's walk away, and downtown, filled with bars and restaurants, was only a fifteen minute walk away. There were always parties going on nearby, but unless the party was in your flat, the flats themselves were pretty sheltered from the noise. My flat was a bit cramped and damp, but hey, I didn't go to New Zealand for the housing. My flatmates were cool and it worked out fine! Compared to the amount of schoolwork I'm used to doing at my school in the US, classes at University of Otago felt like a breeze... until finals period. Most of your grade is based on final projects or tests given at the end of the semester, which meant that I ended up cramming a semester's worth of information into my brain in the span of 2 weeks. This worked out GREAT for having time to get out and explore New Zealand, but it put more pressure on me to make sure that I knew and understood what I needed to. The IFSA-Butler team was always there if you had a question or needed support, and they provided many fun and interesting activities as part of the program, such as exploring a castle or taking an overnight boat trip! I met a ton of amazing people through my program, and we still keep in touch! I grew so much in so many different areas of my life, and gained valuable life skills that will help me in my future endeavors. Studying abroad even changed my life plans to include more time abroad, and I feel more confident in myself to be able to do what I want to do because of my experience in New Zealand. It was the best time of my life, and I miss it so much that I'm applying to study abroad with IFSA again next year! Studying abroad was one of the best decisions I have ever made, and I hope you make the same decision too!

The pre-departure information was a bit unclear, and I was a little worried that I had neglected some important steps to get abroad. I also wasn't completely sure what I was getting myself into, but I put faith in the program and everything worked out great!
Jake

Fall 2017 Otago Experience

I absolutely loved this experience! You have a ton of freedom, as well as any support you need should you ask for it. The campus and area are totally safe, but it is a party school as well as a fantastic area for skiiing/snowboarding/surfing - accidents can happen if you aren't careful. Regardless, the IFSA staff were there and always happy to help with anything I needed or even just talk. Highly recommended!

Vincent

Everything you could ever want in an abroad experience

Expect the Unexpected in New Zealand. Their culture is definitely different than anything you have ever experienced in America. In my brief time in New Zealand I experienced so many things that I would have never known I enjoy. Great walks, sounds, cricket, kava, penguins, driving, grading scales, surfing, fish and chips, meat pies, botanical gardens, flats, and so much more. These are just a few things you can look forward to in New Zealand. To go in to depth would take away from your experience in my opinion, but if you want to know just ask.

Go for a year. That is the only way you can get the full experience.
Elizabeth

The 5 Month Adventure

I reflect back on my experience studying abroad in New Zealand as the great "5 Month Adventure." Filled with academic enrichment and backpacking trips galore, my 5 months in New Zealand are impossible to describe in just one sitting of chatting, photos, and even videos. I was taken back by the Maori culture and it's relationship to the Earth. As an Earth Sciences major myself, I was constantly intrigued by the diversity of geologic activity ranging from geothermal vents, fault zones, pillow lava, and more.

Help integrate the IFSA-Butler students with the University of Otago students.

About Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA)

The Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to...