Study Abroad at the University of Waikato (NZ)

The Pinnacles, Coromandel. One of the most intense hikes I've ever done in my life. 4 hours up the summit to 760 m lookout was completely worth it for the gorgeous views of the pinnacles.
Our first trip, all of the University of Minnesota Duluth students made their way to Rotorua and spent a day at Whaker village. Coolest experience.
Bland Bay, Bay of Islands. Trip up the north island over Easter break, made for some beautiful sunrises along the way.
meet new people at Waikato University
meet new people at Waikato University
The University of Waikato Hamilton Campus is situated on park-like grounds
The University of Waikato Hamilton Campus is situated on park-like grounds
Explore beautiful New Zealand while you study.
Explore beautiful New Zealand while you study.

Kia ora, welcome to the University of Waikato! Our campus is located in the city of Hamilton, the heart of the North Island, making it a great hub to explore some of the best surfing, hiking, adventure sports, and Maori culture in our stunning country.

Our motto, Ko te tangata, for the people, drives our student-focused mission. Voted one of the friendliest universities in the country, we pride ourselves on top-notch student support and are committed to ensuring you have an unforgettable study abroad experience.

Choose from hundreds of courses including unique offerings from our renowned Faculty of Maori and Indigenous Studies. Learn from award-winning lecturers in small class sizes. Study, live, and socialise on our beautiful self-contained residential campus.

Study at Waikato and explore the best of what New Zealand has to offer.

Sophie

Great place to learn, not only about other cultures, but about your own as well

I really enjoyed taking Psychology and Māori & Indigenous courses at the University of Waikato for a semester. All the university staff are friendly and helpful. The professors for all my courses were approachable and engaging!
I took MAORI101, MAORI102, MAORI103, and PSYCH202 and would highly recommend all of these courses. Learning te reo and more about the Māori world has been super fun. PSYCH202 was amazing and actually changed the direction I want to go with my degree and what I want to do after graduation.
The campus its self is beautiful and welcoming. I loved going for walks around the lakes and sports fields.
The only thing that I found was a bit lacking was support for any mental health challenges. Everyone who works at the uni is very friendly but it was unclear where I should go to get extra support.
Overall studying at the University of Waikato has been an amazing life changing experience and a great chance to see the world while studying!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have stepped further outside of my comfort zone and made more of an attempt to make new friends right out the gate!
Dennis

Master thesis at University of Waikato

I was not taking any classes at Waikato, and thus also was not automatically involved in the international students life - but after some start difficulties this was all ok, and i had an awesome time!
New Zealand is an awesome country for an exchange, mostly if you like beautiful landscapes and travelling. It offers some of the most stunning views and most breathtaking hikes i've ever seen. The University itself is good and offers good classes in a nice, familial environment. The city is well situated, but rather calm. No problem for me, i loved my time around here!

The international office and the student associations dealing with the internationals are doing a good job, but seem to be rather new in the business - and they seem to be missing their own exchange experience. A pity.
Coming to an exchange, help with housing is good, and also with finding classes. This is provided. But i also expected to have some cultural gatherings and, yes, also some organised parties for the internationals. New Zealand has a rather... reserved approach on alcohol, so the Uni doesn't want to be involved with anything party-like. This is very sad, as these gatherings also offer an opportunity to meet new people, and make friends also outside of the typical university atmosphere
Jordan

MN to NZ

One of the most amazing experiences I had was the beginning of the semester games we played against the other halls. We got to swim in the pool, and play all sorts of games and challenges with our hall and against others. It really brought us all together and made me feel a connection with the kiwis and the university. It was a fun time and I think a great idea to bring people out of their comfort zone and warm up to the change of Uni.

Stronger Uni-student interaction. More efficient interactions that do occur. More trip offerings (if affordable).
Rebekka

Do it!

A+ campus in an A+ country where people walk around barefoot and eat spagetti on their toast! Get to know yourself, new people, travel and soak in the culture. Plus interesting papers & helpful staff!

More low key 'get to know each other' activities for internationals and locals. It can be tough taking the step out there and a little kick in the butt is usually much appreciated (after some time at least!).
Beachday with social games at Raglan, bowling, the leap, pot-lock dinner, share your culture nights, boardgame night and/or championships. Movienights. Speed dating/ friend dating, pokernight, picnic at the field, the list goes on! :) and of course adventure trips like hobbiton, bungi/skydive, caves, maori experiences and such that you had while I was there! :)