CIS Abroad - Semester in Cusco - Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola

CISabroad - Semester study abroad in Cusco, Peru

On our Semester in Cusco program, you’ll quickly learn why this great city, with its blend of ancient and modern influences, is a revered World Heritage Site. You’ll study at the small, beautiful, centrally located satellite campus of the Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola in Cusco. This program’s focus is on Spanish language and Peruvian culture, and both classes and extracurriculars will lead explorations throughout the city and to many nearby archaeological sites. Imagine semester-long access to the incredible sights of Peru’s Sacred Valley and the beauty of the Andes mountains, not to mention Machu Picchu!

• Immerse yourself in ancient Andean culture and cuisine
  • Easy access to the beautiful Sacred Valley, with ruins, market towns, hiking trails, and more
  • Choice between a homestay or dorm-style apartments
  • Enjoy many modern conveniences and extensive vibrant nightlife
  • Colorful indigenous and religious festivals

CISabroad Scholarships
CISabroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

70% of all CISabroad students receive scholarships, grants, or discounts to study abroad. We're unapologetically committed to increasing access to international education for all students.

$250 - $500

Cassandra

Semester in Cusco, Peru

During my four months in Cusco, Peru, I was able to gain experiences and memories I never thought possible. I studied abroad with CISabroad as my program, and the support I received was amazing. Every question I had before leaving for my trip was thoroughly answered, and I felt more than prepared. While in Peru, I loved being able to take courses that were drastically different from those that are traditionally offered here in the U.S., such as Healing and Shamanism. I was able to travel all over the country and experience different ecosystems including the desert in Huacachina, the Amazon rain forest in Puerto Maldonado, the coast in Paracas, the cloud forest at Machu Picchu, and various Incan ruins throughout the country. We also hiked (all the way up to 14,000 feet!), went horseback riding, and volunteered at schools, an animal shelter and an orphanage. I think the best part about studying abroad is learning to love the culture shock and being in new situations you may never have thought you’d be in but are so glad you had the privilege to experience. Overall, studying abroad was one of the best experiences of my life.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I were to do this all over again, I would spend more time truly experiencing moments rather than taking photos. I feel as though we are sometimes overly concerned about taking pictures so we can remember our travels, but I think there is also something to be said about looking around, without a phone in our hands, and thinking about where we are and why we are there.
Emily

Perusing Through Peru

My study abroad in Cusco, Peru was nothing short than incredible. I stayed with a host family who had two young boys--Santiago (2) and Facundo (8). They became my little brothers and when I had to leave, four months later, it was just like leaving family. My campus was small; with about 9 students. I enjoyed this because we all became very close and had many wonderful experiences together. There were a wide variety of courses that were available. I chose classes ranging from Contemporary Peruvian Society to Traditional Medicine in the Andean Region--needless to say, I was very happy with my choices. It is crazy how much more one can learn when they are surrounded by the topic they are learning. Even now, I think how crazy it is that my campus was built on a palace of a past Inca king. HOW WILD!! Peruvian dishes are to die for!! While some are on the more exotic side, like guinea pig, chicken is a very popular dish. I looked forward to every meal I had!! The excursions were magnificent--Machu Picchu, the Amazon River, Lake Titicaca, etc. I was visiting places I had never dreamed possible! On a more personal level, I cannot fully articulate into words how much this experience changed me for the better. As I was leaving Peru on my last day, I started thinking of myself--my attitude, thoughts, and actions--I could not even recognize that girl. I was stunned to think someone I was four months ago was a stranger to me. I grew from being this insecure, worrisome, obnoxious girl into an confident, empowered, level headed woman. Studying abroad (ANYWHERE) helps you broaden your horizons and grow into the person you were always meant to be. Cusco, Peru has and always will have a special place in my heart.

The on site director should respond quicker to the students and be more present when we need them. My friends stayed at the school hotel and online, it was not an accurate representation of what was actually offered there--laundry, etc. I believe online, it explained what is offered at the Lima destination, but that is not the same in Cusco.