IFSA: Study Abroad Programs in Scotland

IFSA invites students to come study abroad in Scotland! Five unique university experiences are available in some of Scotland's largest cities: Edinburgh, Glasgow, St. Andrews and Stirling. All of these programs offer students an exciting chance to experience the United Kingdom in a comfortable setting, not to mention Scotland is a great jumping point to see other European destinations. Check out further information on each university below!

Ashlyn

Glasgow

Already attending a small college, when I looked at studying abroad I wanted to push my limits and looked into bigger schools. It was kind of intimidating but also really fun; I realized what I missed out on by going to a smaller school but also what I loved about the smaller size. Studying abroad was my first time out of the country but now I feel more confident traveling alone and can't wait to go back. Post-program I definitely explore new areas more and with a lot more confidence. Useful tips: just go with the flow, if things don't go as planned you can still find amazing experiences.

Kelsey

IFSA Butler in St Andrews

I was personally on a different study abroad program at St Andrews, but many of my friends were on this one and they all spoke highly of it. They enrolled in St Andrews' classes like normal students and for most of them, grades were received as pass/fail at their home universities. They all said that they though the St Andrews program was better than the other IFSA Butler programs offered in Scotland. All the Scotland students from IFSA Butler got together from time to time, but the St Andrews students all said they seemed to be enjoying themselves far more than the other students. The IFSA Butler students at St Andrews were a cohesive group and became really good friends, which they did not find to be true of the students at the other universities. I can personally attest to how wonderful St Andrews is. The town is so wonderfully charming and Scottish. It is the birthplace of gold and I loved walking the Old Course (one of three courses in St Andrews). There are three beaches lining the North Sea and there is a beautiful walking trail through town. There is plenty of shopping: everything from little cheese shops to H&M, from adorable bakeries to Rymans (an office supply store). There are many dining options. There are lots of pubs and two nightclubs (I definitely recommend the VIC over the Lizard). You feel immersed in history at St Andrews; you can see the cathedral ruins and the castle easily. My experience there was amazing!

The program leaders are really involved in your life. Personally, this is not for me, but it can be really helpful if you're wary of traveling abroad.

About Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA)

The Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to...