CEA Study Abroad in Port Elizabeth, South Africa

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from CEA Study Abroad.

Abroad Programs in Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Abroad Programs in Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Addo Elephant Park
Study abroad Port Elizabeth CEA
Study abroad Port Elizabeth CEA

Experience history in the making when you study abroad in Port Elizabeth, South Africa with CEA. Explore the port city's long history -- from the native Khosian peoples, to Dutch and British colonists, to apartheid and now independence -- as you take classes from the full curriculum at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, our partner institution in Port Elizabeth. Our Environmental Studies option allows you to discover the region's unparalleled biodiversity through visits to destinations like Addo Elephant Park, Tsitsikamma Falls Adventure Park, and other East Cape game reserves. During summer term, witness the intersection of human rights, conflict management, and peace studies while gaining hands-on experience through service learning. And, of course, enjoy student life in the city itself; Port Elizabeth's sunny weather, stunning beaches, and laid-back attitude have earned it the well-deserved nickname of the "Friendly City."

CEA Scholarships
CEA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Studying abroad will change your life, improve your employability, and enhance your global competence. That's why we commit more than $2.0 million each year to our financial and scholarship programs.

$400 - $3,000

Apply by 10/3/2019 and get a $1,000 flight voucher!

Allow yourself to experience cultures in parts of the world you’ve only ever dreamt of. Take this opportunity to make this your life. Apply by October 3, 2019, and get up to $1000 in flight vouchers toward study or internship programs abroad.

Hannah

My time in Africa...

I absolutely loved my time in Port Elizabeth, South Africa! CEA's program helped me meet people from all over the world, and even planned excursions during my time there! I went there knowing no one, and left with so many good friends. I try my best to see them to this day! I studied abroad for five months. My vision on the world has completely changed. Before studying abroad, I had never left the country! I chose this program because I have always wanted to go on a safari, and studying abroad in Europe was sort of "cliche." I will never forget my experience!

There wasn't an onsite CEA staff member, but the International Education office was very helpful.
Response from CEA Study Abroad

We are pleased to hear Port Elizabeth helped expand your view of the world and develop long lasting friendships. Thank you for the feedback and best of luck in your future endeavors!

David

Semester Abroad in PE

I spent February-June 2013 in Port Elizabeth. The city has a lot of history but what I most enjoyed was getting out and exploring the rest of the country on the weekend. Cars are easy to rent, buses are available (although they take a long time to get to destinations) and planes tickets are cheap if you go through the local companies. Whether it was hiking in the mountains, exploring Cape Town, or bungee jumping off a bridge, you will not run out of places to go and things to do.

Classes were strong and very comparable to my education in the states. There is more emphasis put on exams so studying is crucial. My advice, try to find some locals to join your study group or help with your research papers. The format of lectures and assignments was confusing at first and would have been easier with a local guide.

Port Elizabeth is a safe city if you stay aware of your surroundings. If somethings feels wrong in your gut, don't do it! Try to stay in groups when possible. There is definitely power in numbers. Travel is risky no matter where you go. I felt as safe in Port Elizabeth as I have travelling in Europe. Just remember you are a guest and you'll be fine.

The excursions through CEA were awesome. I can't recommend them highly enough. CEA was a great company to work with and always had answers to my questions. I would work with them again if I was still in school.

More on-site staff to help work through orientation would be nice. There's a lot of waiting in lines and trying to figure out a schedule wasn't easy.

My housing also wasn't great but the process has changed since I went and I've heard it has improved greatly.

About CEA Study Abroad

With 23 destinations across 13 countries, CEA Study Abroad offers an ideal balance of academics, internships, and adventure to more than 4,000 students each year. Find out where learning abroad can take you by clicking the “Visit Site” button and...