By CEA Study Abroad   Reviews (16)   99% Rating

CEA Study Abroad in Seville, Spain

By CEA Study Abroad   Reviews (16)   99% Rating

Discover the birthplace of flamenco; pass awe-inspiring architecture on your way to class; live in a city with the largest pedestrian-friendly center in Europe... study abroad in Seville, Spain with CEA! Long known as the center of al-Andalus culture, this small city offers a down-to-earth lifestyle and a relaxed experience. Enjoy your café con leche while you hone your Spanish skills by chatting with locals. Relax at a local tapas bar after your study sessions. Immerse into Seville life by learning the flamenco, attending a bullfight, or exploring the winding streets of the Barrio Santa Cruz. Increase your global competence with a quarter, semester, or academic year spent in Seville! You'll take classes at the CEA Seville Center, located in the heart of the city by the walls of the Moorish Alcazar and Seville's stunning la Giralda cathedral, or choose courses from our partner institutions, the University of Seville (founded in 1505) or Pablo de Olavide University.

Europe » Spain » Seville
Sociology
High School Diploma
2000.00
Cost Description
Included: Pre-departure Support; International Health Insurance; Orientation; Housing; Volunteer Opportunities; Computer Lab; Internet connection; more. Scholarships available
Sevilla

Rating Values

Kate
Cedarburg, WI
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse

CEA in Seville

Overall

Studying abroad through CEA in Seville, Spain was hands down one of the best decisions I have ever made. Whether it was the CEA staff in Phoenix, Arizona or the on-site staff in Seville, everyone was incredibly helpful and reliable. The staff were always available to help me with anything I needed. Whether it was helping me through the registration process and making sure I had all of my necessary documents or when I was in Spain and didn't know how to get somewhere or needed a restaurant recommendation. My semester abroad would not have been as successful as it was if it weren't for all of the CEA staff. Having the CEA Seville Center to go to every day was key in fully emerging myself in the Sevillano culture and being successful in my academics.

This program could improve in when they provide students about to go abroad their housing and academic choices. It's a little nerve-racking waiting til about two weeks before you go abroad not knowing where you'll live and what your budget should look like depending on your housing assignment. Other than that, I loved everything about this program!
Amber
San Luis Obispo, California

Adventure everywhere you go

Overall

I was a student in Seville, Spain for a little over three months and it was the best experience of my life. The professors and directors of CEA helped shape my experience to the best it could be. I recommend going to every excursion CEA offers beacuse that is where you will truly learn what the country you are living in has to offer. One of my favorite excursions was when CEA took the program to Morocco. This adventure was an eye opening experience that you will not be able to find during your travels to cities such as Paris or London. Now don't get me wrong London and Paris were my favorite cities to visit but when I look over my experience abroad it was my excursion to Morocco where I learned the most about the world. We traveled to four different cities, spoke to students studying in Morocco, and even had the opportunity to ride a camel. What I learned during my travels was that it didn't matter which cities I visited; in the end what shaped me the most were the people/friends I made along the way. The success to a wonderful abroad experience is to meet knew friends, try new things, and never say no to a new adventure.

Leslie
West Bloomfield, Michigan

No place like Sevilla

Overall

Sevilla is the most perfect city I have ever been to, and I couldn't imagine studying here through any other program. CEA helped make Sevilla feel like home. The staff truly cares about its students and will do anything to ensure they have the best experience here possible; they are very organized and always are willing to help. Another great part about CEA is that there are students from a variety of universities from all over the US, which allowed me the unique opportunity to meet many new people I couldn't have otherwise if I studied through my home university. The housing options are also amazing, and I have been able to form an incredible relationship with my "madre." I have had the most amazing experience here in Sevilla with CEA, and couldn't imagine doing abroad any differently.

Classes with more conversational Spanish, the opportunity to take classes with local students
Brittany
Terre Haute, IN
Indiana State University

Best Semester Ever

Overall

Studying abroad with CEA was the best choice that I ever made. I did a lot of research over several different programs and cities, but CEA Seville was by far the most appealing option!

Seville itself is an amazing city. It's in the south of Spain, so the climate is amazing. There's so much history, and the center of the city is my favorite place. I could spend hours in the Plaza de España if I had the chance! It's a very walkable city with so much to do, but it doesn't feel like a tourist destination. The people are kind, and the city is safe.

The CEA staff are some of the most helpful people I've ever met. From the moment I applied, I had someone reaching out to me weekly about the status of my applications, both the general application, and scholarship applications. They answered all of my questions and were able to help with everything I needed!

They were just as helpful when I arrived in Spain. We were picked up at the airport and taken to our homes, and shown around the city over the next few days. I really like that with CEA we take half of our classes at the CEA center, and half at our chosen university. The CEA classes are a lot of fun, and it's nice to be able to make friends both at CEA and at UPO (the school I chose) from other programs!

I love my living situation -- I live in a "casa de Seville" with several other students. We have host parents that come in and feed us every day and spend time with us, but they don't live with us. I like that we get the Spanish interaction, but also have the same amount of independence as at home!

CEA offers a variety of intercambio activities that allowed us to get to know Spanish students and make friends with locals. They also had workshops over things like Flamenco, Bullfighting, and Cooking, so that we could learn more about the Spanish culture. CEA also offers excursions outside of Seville that are tons of fun. We went to tons of cities that I wouldn't have visited otherwise, and I loved them! CEA really tries to make sure that students get the most out of their experience.

I recommend CEA, and Seville, for anyone who's wanting to study abroad! Don't be afraid, just fill out the application and go!

Maybe have more Advanced Spanish classes at the CEA center.
Emilee
Atlanta, Georgia
Auburn University

I found my home here!

Overall

Studying abroad in Seville has been the best experience I could have ever had. Every aspect of it has been phenomenal (except the lack of peanut butter availability). The CEA staff is so helpful with anything and everything; I could go to them with any problem and they would be willing to help. For example, imagine how scary it is to get sick away from home. Not just like having a cold during your freshman year of college without your mom, but like having strep throat in another country where you're not entirely sure how to explain what's going on in Spanish. The CEA staff helped me make my appointment and made sure that someone would be there that could translate for me.
There's so many aspects of my semester abroad that have made me fall in love with Seville, and most of them are due to CEA Seville. Had I not chosen to study with CEA, I wouldn't have had my wonderful host family who I love so much. Probably just as much as my real family at home. Trust me, walking into a new house and being welcomed by your "dad," "mom," "sister," and "brother" that you've never met before is intimidating. However, I wouldn't have had it any other way. Now I have a big sister that I had always wanted, and my roommate and I get to laugh about when our host brother uses her conditioner and walks around the house smelling like a melon, thinking no one has noticed.
The classes at CEA have also taught me so much. I fully expected "easy A's" from my Food and Wine class and my Spanish course, but I have been challenged just as much here as I am at home at Auburn. For once, also, I actually use what I've learned and I can apply it to my daily life in Spain. I know how to buy a good red wine for not 50 euros but for "broke college kid" prices, I can identify the quality of a bottle of olive oil, and so many other things that have actually been very useful to know.
All in all, Seville is the only place I'd ever want to be. If someone is considering studying abroad, Seville is perfect and CEA is the program to use. Come to Seville and you'll find a home just like I did. However, if you come for the Spring, watch the rebujitos during Feria. They'll getcha.

Katherine
Beverly, Massachusetts
Clemson University

CEA Study Abroad Program in Sevilla

Overall

Overall I would most definitely rate my experience as a 10/10. I have had an amazing time in Sevilla and have grown to love the city. The staff at CEA were always welcome and accommodating whenever I had any questions or problems. I have also enjoyed the teachers at CEA. The courses are interesting without being too difficult and the teachers are always there when you need help, or even if you just want to talk. The program center is in a perfect location, and I never had the feeling that I was unsafe while walking to and from class.

The only suggestion I would have for CEA is to possibly try out an immersive 1 or 2 week Spanish language program when the students first arrive to Sevilla. I know some other programs who arrived to the city a week early to participate in this Spanish course. It not only helped them improve and prepare their Spanish for the upcoming months significantly, but it also helped with meeting the people in the program.
Madison
Broomall, Pennsylvania
West Chester University

Life Changing Experience

Overall

Studying abroad was the best decision I have ever made. Before coming here I was a huge homebody. I go to school 25 minutes away from my house and I see my family every other week. However, I am so glad I decided to step out of my comfort zone and study in Seville with CEA. From the very beginning CEA provided step-by-step advice that made the application and before-arriving process easy and stress free, something you will greatly appreciate when getting ready to go abroad.

When arriving in Seville I was more than overwhelmed. I'm not going to lie, I was VERY homesick the first few weeks. I was having issues with my housing (nothing to do with CEA -- mainly to do with the host family) and once I told CEA about it they were beyond helpful. Within the next few days they had housing options lined up for me that were in the city center and near my friends. They made the transition from one house to the other super easy, and found me a great place to live. I love my new host mom, she is amazing. I'm glad CEA took the time to find me such a great place to live.

CEA also takes their students on numerous cultural excursions where we learn a lot about the Spanish culture and lifestyle. They provide intercambio activities where we can meet and interact with locals to practice our Spanish. They have lounges where students can come to hang out and study, or just talk with their friends. Also, through CEA students have the option to study at the program center as well as various other universities, something that other programs in Seville don't offer. The people here really put an effort into making sure we are getting the most out of our experience.

For the actual city of Seville, it is a must see place. I've done a lot of traveling while abroad, and out of all the places I have visited Seville is by far my favorite. The city is filled life and history. Having the opportunity to live in a place with so much culture has been a great experience (not to mention the night life is really fun as well). I feel safe in Seville and I am very sad to be leaving. Being here for four months has changed me. I have become much more independent and have changed for the better. However, if I needed anything, CEA was always there to offer advice and help me figure out any issue I had. When people think about studying abroad it is always about location, location, location. However, the program you choose is a very important part of your decision. I owe much of my experiences here to CEA and the people who work there. I would definitely recommend studying abroad through this program, especially CEA Seville!

Alexandra
Pompton Lakes
York College of Pennsylvania

Studying abroad with CEA was the best decision I've ever made

Overall

With CEA I have been pushed out of my comfort zone into a city filled with culture and magic. From the moment I arrived, CEA help us ease into Seville with comfort and confidence. They really provided a lot of trips and cultural experiences that helped me experience the most that Spain has to offer.
One of my favorite things about the CEA staff was their willingness to help each and every one of us to really dive into the culture and environment in Seville. They were very encouraging and helpful in terms of providing and finding events for us to participate in. A bullfight at the Plaza de Toros, a day at a local Jamon Iberico farm, and a cooking class are just some of the events to name a few.
The experiences that CEA provided really helped me to see every single aspect of the culture here, and I am so grateful for their help and guidance during the best four months of my life.

William
Minneapolis, MN

Great program

Overall

CEA is a great program if you are interested in developing a close-knit base with enough freedom to develop a unique study abroad experience. For my particular term, there were only about 100 students, so I was able to create a close connection with my classmates, but felt no pressure to conform to anybody else's opinion of what my experience should be. The staff were helpful, friendly, and knowledgable. I would recommend this program to anyone looking to study abroad in Seville

Mateus
La Canada Flintridge

CEA Sevilla Was a Winner

Overall

I was recommended CEA in Sevilla by a friend who did it last year, and I can absolutely see why. The city itself is unbeatable; full of authenticity, local culture, and incredibly friendly people. The weather is nearly perfect in the Spring that allow for great days by the river that runs through the city, and the social scene is a ton of fun, with awesome bars, clubs, and restaurants to go to.

CEA really was a fantastic supplement to enjoy all the city has to offer. They put together great language exchange events where I was able to meet local people, and organized awesome trips around the Andalucia region that allowed us to see more of Spain beyond the city I was studying in. The staff is incredibly friendly and I became friends with many of the knowledgable people there. The classes were not overwhelmingly difficult, but certainly forced you to incorporate an understanding of Spanish culture into certain classes to do well.

Overall I can't imagine a better program to be a part of in an even better city. You will not be disappointed with CEA!

Maybe a wider variety of classes (especially conversational spanish ones).
Michaela
Boston, MA
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Seville was the best decision I ever made

Overall

My decision to spend a semester in Seville, Spain has definitely been the best decision I have ever made.

So why are Seville and CEA so special? Well Seville is the perfect size city if you want the conveniences of a city but the charm and beauty of an older city. It is impossible to get bored here because there is so much to see and do. Out of all the cities in Europe and Spain that I have been lucky enough to visit, Seville is by far the most beautiful. It is also a great place if you want to practice Spanish, even if you have little to no experience. I was so nervous coming to Spain because I thought I wouldn't be able to communicate but I learned that the best way to learn a language is to practice it, not learn it from a book. There is an airport within half an hour of the city and I have had no trouble finding flights to any part of Europe even though it is a smaller airport. Basically Seville is the best and I do not want my time in this city to ever end.

In terms of CEA I also have an endless amount of good to say about it. First of all the people who work there are amazing and so welcoming. They all knew my name within a few weeks and are always happy to answer any questions and love to just chat! As a Communications major there were lots of classes available to me to take towards my major. CEA offers the best housing options in terms of all the other programs I looked at because they have something for everyone. My housing, Casa de Sevilla, was perfect for me because it included all of the perks of a home stay without feeling like a guest for 4 months. The CEA center is in a beautiful location within the city center. Also, CEA offers a lot of great programs and trips included in the price, which is a great way to meet people and take advantage of all that Spain has to offer.

Overall, my semester in Sevilla has been amazing and I could not recommend studying here with CEA enough.

Rachel
San Luis Obispo, CA
California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo

Just Go!

Overall

The first day I arrived, I was completely exhausted. I could not believe I had traveled over 20 hours and was FINALLY in Spain. Speaking of 20 hours of travel, I caught some sort of bug on the plane, which left me hanging out with the toilet, rather than fun Spanish friends, my first night in my new home. Despite my unfortunate illness, my three and half months abroad were more than I ever could have hoped for. I learned more Spanish in three and a half months than I ever did back home, the people were so kind and welcoming and it was so humbling to learn about not only the Spanish culture, but also about my own culture from a new perspective.

I would recommend better communication between the program and the students hosts. Although I had a great experience with my hosts, there were a few incidents that I wished the people in charge of housing had been a little more proactive in helping.
Leslie
Ewing New Jersey
The College of New Jersey

CEA Seville staff was amazing and my Study abroad experience was better than I could have ever imagined

Overall

I chose Seville because I wanted a southern Spanish City that was well known but not too big, so that I could really know my way around and get to know some of the good spots for food and dancing etc. I also opted for a home-stay experience because I wanted to become immersed in the spanish culture and practice speaking spanish every day. I could not have picked a more vibrant city, or a better study abroad program. CEA matched me with an amazing host family and an awesome roommate. Some of my favorite events CEA hosted was the "intercambio" nights were local spanish students got to mingle with us "foreign" americans. We played board games, watched football matches and even took dance lessons for Feria. Some of my closest spanish friends I met at those intercambio events and I still keep in touch with many of them. The CEA staff and professors are so friendly and knowledgeable, they helped me through medical stuff when I got sick, and told me the best store to find cute workout gear ;) If you are considering studying abroad in Seville with CEA, I can just say that I am returning to visit my host family and friends in Seville this summer (because I am so in love with the city and the people in it) and the CEA offices is one of my first stops to say hello and catch up with some truly amazing people

Julia
Adrian, Michigan
Adrian College

CEA Study Abroad in Sevilla

Overall

I loved everything about my stay in Sevilla, Spain with CEA. They did a wonderful job placing me with a roommate and host family, and I truly enjoyed all of my classes. All of the workers at the CEA center in Sevilla were always very friendly and helpful, and they were always more than willing to help us with whatever we needed--whether that was finding an alternate route home from classes or finding a good Chinese restaurant. They were always ready to help and talk if there was anything we needed help with.

They knew all of our host families by name, and they could pinpoint certain characteristics of each host family--they knew exactly who they were putting their students with, and they weren't afraid to talk with the host families if a student ever felt uncomfortable.

I requested to be put in a host family that had kids (because I come from a big family), and they took my request to heart and placed me with a family with two kids right around my age--having that made all the difference, and the people at CEA did that for me. And on top of that they placed me with an awesome roommate, and we got along absolutely perfectly.

They made sure my worst fears didn't come true (i.e. bad roommate and a horrible study abroad experience), and they made sure that I had the best experience possible. The people who work at the CEA center in Sevilla make the trip 10 times better than it would be without them. I am 100% certain that I would not have had the same incredible experience if I had gone through another program.

I love Sevilla, and I am so happy that I got to know it with CEA's help. When you go to Sevilla, be sure to look out for the "No8do" signs--they don't mean anything to you right now, but they will mean everything to you after you leave. Ask the wonderful people at the CEA center in Sevilla what they mean. They'll be able to tell you all about them.

Ariel
Boston, MA

So much more than I expected!

Overall

I'm so glad that I chose to study abroad with CEA. The support staff was always so helpful and a bright, cheery face to see everyday (shoutout to Vicki and Miriam)! My classes were very interesting and I learned a lot, but the professors also make a point to encourage us to travel around Spain/Europe so we were not constantly tied down with schoolwork. The excursions were very well planned, and the trip to Morocco was definitely the most exciting. CEA also provides other cultural activities like dance and food lessons which help to really get to know what is important in Sevilla.

My host mother was so sweet; she became like a second mother to me. I highly recommend anyone who wants to actually learn Spanish and feel at home abroad to do a homestay! Not to mention she is also such a great cook and the house was always clean.

I cannot say enough about the city. Sevilla is a beautiful city with a vibrant culture and people. Having the chance to call Sevilla my home for a semester was easily the best part of the whole trip. I already can't wait to go back and see the friends and family that I made there!

keschwartz
Berkeley, California
University of California- Berkeley

Sevilla was unbelievable!!

Overall

I had doubts about going to Sevilla (Seville) because everyone I knew was going to Barcelona or Madrid. The reality was that all of my friends who visited me from those cities said they wished they had studied in Sevilla. Sevilla is concentrated, Spanish culture everywhere you turn. My spanish was pretty beginner when I got there and what helped me improve the most was that all of the locals spoke spanish to me rather than english. I lived in a "casa universitaria," a housing option unique to Sevilla where I lived with 6 other American students in a 3 story house with a rooftop terrace, 3 doors down from our host mom, the sweetest, best cook I have ever met! She only spoke english to us and sat with us for every meal so that we were forced to speak the language. Sevilla's Alcazar (palace + gardens) is probably the most beautiful place I have ever visited. My friends and I would walk through the gardens (with human maze inside!) on sunny afternoons. The city is full of orange trees and makes the whole place smell fresh and delightful! My friends and I would take a bottle of wine and some cheeses and sit by the beautiful river most afternoons. The architecture in Sevilla is amazing as well. Most of the buildings are from the baroque era and are painted orange and white...The streets are cobble stone and you really feel like you're still in the 17th century. Until you go out at night in which case the club and bar scene is super fun! We also met a bunch of Spaniards and became friends with them which was a great way to improve my Spanish and get to know the culture more. The people of Sevilla are so friendly and really made the experience a welcoming one. I honestly made my best friends while studying abroad who were in my program. I can't say more positive things about Sevilla and would love to live there one day.

Since 1997, CEA has maintained one simple philosophy: To provide high-quality international academic programs and internship services. For you, that translates to personalized support through each step of your study abroad and internship experience, from the moment you first apply to the day you return home again.

Along the way, you’ll learn to adapt, to communicate across cultures, to broaden your perspective. You’ll earn credits toward graduation while gaining invaluable skills that boost your resume and enhance your employability. You’ll make new friends and expand your network. And you’ll learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible. Simply put, study and interning abroad will shape the rest of your life.

Because going abroad is more than just an academic experience -- it’s a life experience. With destinations in 22 cities across 12 countries, we offer a balance of academics and adventure to more than 3,500 students each year... where will your learning take you?