Central College Abroad - Study & Intern in Granada

Central College Abroad - Study & Intern in Granada

Granada is a city at the intersection of two beautiful cultures. It is a jewel of Arab civilization on the Iberian Peninsula, as well as a modern city of 250,000 at the foot of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. In the streets, you’ll see both mosques and 16th century cathedrals. At the dinner table with your host family, you’ll practice Spanish and hear their perspective on the city. Everywhere you go, you’ll see the harmonious blend of Islamic and Spanish cultures unique to southern Spain.

Central College Abroad in Granada is a language immersion program, combining coursework and time spent with the local population. By the end of the semester, you won’t be speaking classroom Spanish but the authentic language of the people.

Europe » Spain » Granada
Europe » Spain
Cultural Studies
Physical Therapy
Social Sciences
What's included:

•Tuition
•Guaranteed housing in home-stay, including three meals a day
•Computer/internet access at the Center for Modern Languages
•Two-week orientation
•An intercultural workshop, exclusively offered by Central College Abroad
•Weekly phonetics and tutorial sessions
•Language and culture exchange (optional)
•Excursions and cultural events such as a four-day excursion to Morocco
•Internship and service-learning opportunities (optional)
•On-site resident director and support services
•Personal Central College Abroad Adviser for pre-departure support
•Optional online pre-departure and re-entry course
•Central College Abroad Student Survival Guide and Parent handbook
•Supplemental travel insurance, including mental health coverage, emergency evacuation and more
•International student ID card provided by INEXT
•Transcript from Central College, a U.S. institution fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission

Emily
Pella, Iowa

Experience of a Lifetime

Studying abroad in Spain was the best decision I have ever made. I was able to travel to many countries and throughout Spain, I tried a ton of new food, I improved my Spanish, and I met my best friend! I would do anything to go back and relive the entire experience or have a another completely different one. Studying abroad allowed me to grow as a person and see new ways to look at life. I learned so much while in Spain in addition to the Spanish I was learning. It's amazing how many times in a week that I find myself remembering all of the great stories and memories that I happened while I was abroad.

hstewart67
New Orleans, Louisiana
Northwestern College

I will never regret this decision.

I have fallen in love with this place, the food, and the people. The bonds that our group has made with each other and with Veronica (our program director) is something I know I will never experience again.

There has never been an opportunity that I have passed up here and it has been worth every penny. My host family has beocme a vital part of my life and the Spanish culture has begun to feel like second nature.
Granada is a welcoming city full of adventure and things to do. There is never a dull moment if you choose to study here.

GiriGenevieve
Bradley University

Find Success..Find Central College Abroad

When I was first researching study abroad programs I didn't even really know too much about Central College Abroad. I originally planned to study in Sevilla with a different program. Unfortunately for me that other program could not guarantee me that courses that I would need to graduate after my semester abroad. Central College Abroad was recommended to me by professors at my school and it ended up being the best decision of my undergraduate career, to complete my degree in Granada, Spain.
As students we don't just simply 'work' with the program directors and staff, we form close relationships and make connections with one another because we come to form a family. The directors and staff of the Central College programs all share a love for acquiring new knowledge of a different culture, all want to constantly share that new knowledge, and also want to ensure that every student has the best experience possible.
This includes scheduling program cultural experiences of traveling and other hands-on activities. At the conclusion of the program in one more month, we will have traveled to 4 different cities of Spain together as well voyaged to another continent (the northern tip of Africa, in Morocco with an exchange program where we lived with Moroccan host families!) where we visited multiple cities as well. And all of our guided trips are not just all historical/serious ones! (Although they are of course, all very cultural.) With this program we have had the opportunities to really emerge ourselves in the Spanish culture with a wine tasting event, an extravagant olive oil tasting experience, a Flamenco show, internship and volunteer opportunities, multiple city tours, a professional futbol game, and the most eye-opening...a bullfight! To put it simply, we are given all of the right tools to succeed living abroad in a different country and continent.
Contact with the Central College Abroad staff while we are physically abroad does not just end after the very first introductory day where we receive program rules, are assigned our host families, and get maps of the city. Throughout the semester we have cultural reunions and group meetings just to talk about progress and how we're really doing in every aspect of study abroad life. If we need help or something needs to be changed or adjusted for us, for example with host families or classes, it will be done.
Moreover the office door for the staff is always open to the students. With that being said, there's always someone in there too; it's not just an empty room. Someone is always there for us to talk to, if we need help, have a question, or simply want to come in and say hello or spend a few quick minutes practicing our Spanish. It's comforting to know that I not only made the right decision by choosing Central College Abroad over any other program, but to know as well that I finished my undergraduate degree in the best way possible.

Ariko
Omaha, Nebraska...Greatest state in the US
Grand View University

An experience of a lifetime

This experience was by far the best thing I have ever done as a student and just as a global citizen. Living in Spain opened my eyes to a lot of things and introduced me to a lot of life long friends. I grew a lot as a person and living in a different country with a new language made me appreciate the diversity of this world. I enjoyed staying with my host family who made me feel welcomed and made my everyday activities fun and enjoyable with their great support. The program director for the Granada program is a GREAT lady who will go out of her way to make sure all her students are taken care of. If you want someone that can show you how to enjoy a culture to the fullest while also giving you an educational experience, you will love the Granada program director. The teachers at the school were beyond amazing and made learning fun. Who could have known learning could be as fun as this. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to grow and anyone who wants to try something new. Spain is a beautiful country and the travels I had through out Spain, the Flamenco shows I attended, the food I ate (I ate a lot of good bread with my meals),the bull fight, the weekly soccer games, the endless discoteca nights, and the people I met from Spain and all over the world made my time an experience of a lifetime. Muchos besitos

granada

Granada Review

Granada: Small, but urban walking city. Beautiful Sierra Nevadas visible from the city. Beautiful views from walking up into neighborhoods near the amazing Alhambra. Fun tapas and big night life. Lots of pollution and poor air quality. Lack of good public transport, but walkable. Constantly changing climate, but when nice it is an incredibly lovely city.

Academics: The classes I take at the CLM have been very disappointing. I know they are aimed at students who are still learning the language, but they lack intellectual stimulation. For example, I am in one class during which the professor plays videos and we try to listen for the answers to basic questions. The course material is very basic, simple facts about many different places and cultures. It is less profound than any class I have taken since elementary school. It seems the professor has not put much effort into the course curriculum as she continues to show us video clips of poor quality and in some cases give misinformation. I have discussed these qualities of the course with other students who feel the same way. While some other courses are better, in general, the classes at the CLM lack depth. I also think the exam that places students at different levels doesn't provide accurate results, because it is simply a tedious multiple choice exam with a few essay questions, but no oral component. My grammar and written/oral practice classes are both very good. The seminars about specific themes are generally the ones lacking substance.
There is a lot of class time and very little homework which would be great if the classes were more engaging.

Program staff: Veronica is a great director with a great team. They organize great cultural events for us including the trip to Morocco, flamenco show, trip to Madrid, etc. Each are very approachable and Veronica is very reliable and easy to contact. She looks out for us and wants us to make the most of our experience here.

Exchange: It is great that the program sets us up with a local Spaniard to meet periodically and practice. However, the ratio of Americans to Spanish is poor and when there are about 5 of us and 1 of them, there isn't much opportunity to speak and the meetings are infrequent. It would be nice to organize smaller groups or even a 1 on 1 situation with more frequent meetings to really facilitate Spanish practice.

Though the program staff is great, the academics at the CLM are not theirs to design and have been a huge let down. Going to class is a frustrating experience.

eferrari
Pella, IA

Eye-opening experience

Granada was the perfect choice for my study abroad experience. I was immersed in the culture from day 1 and had to interact with spaniards either in the classroom or on the streets everyday. The town is a little difficult to get around at first but becomes easier the longer you stay there. Getting lost is the only way to learn and is definitely a small adventure every time. I loved exploring new parts of the city and because the natives there speak fast, learning spanish in Granada made it easier to speak with people from other cities in Spain. The people of Granada were by far and away the most difficult to understand. Especially if they had no English experience. Overall the experience was incredible and in Granada you will not only see Spanish culture, but also some Arabic culture as there is plenty of Arabic culture and architecture in this city as well.

iowa
Clarke University

living in Granada

Let me just say that Granada is a beautiful place with a lot of experiences to be had, but it should be known that Andalucia is known for speaking some of the most terrible Spanish and for being unfriendly.
Granada has a lot of people from outside and you will make friends from all over, experience great things, and learn more than you ever have from things outside of a classroom.

Kayd
Oregon
Scripps College

Central College Study Abroad, a great experience

Day to day is still exciting even though I´ve been here for over 4 months. I´ve met some great friends here through the program, the school, and even some Spaniards! Thanks to the classes which focus on Spanish cultural things, grammar, and Spanish slang I´ve found that I can more easily and definitely more confidently communicate my thoughts, ideas, and needs. I love the fact that I´m learning culturally and linguistically.

It´s been a great experience overall. I LOVE the excursions that have been provided by the program: Morocco, Nerja, Plays, Bull Fights, Madrid, Toledo, and more!

FCColinho
Colorado School of Mines

Andalusian Allure

Granada is beautiful. The Sierra Nevada mountains form a gorgeous backdrop for views such as the Alhambra, or the Albayzin neighborhood. The nightlife is alive because the city is made up of mostly students who frequent bars, nightclubs, pubs, the botellón park, etc. Every day I wake up, drink coffee with my host mom, walk 15 minutes to school, learn seriously interesting things in my classes, pop in to the director's office (who is the nicest, most caring, best director of any program I have ever been a part of) have an intercambio meeting with Spanish students, and all the while continue learning and speaking Spanish. There are sport teams and musical groups, internships and volunteering opportunities on offer- it seriously is the whole enchilada. Included is a trip to Morocco, which, for us sheltered American students is a fundamental experience to understanding the world better, especially the Islamic world. Staying three nights with a host family in Rabat, and later touring the majestic countryside of such a historic nation was an invaluable cultural exchange. In summation, it is a great program in a safe city learning a beautiful and useful language learning about a rich culture and being educated at a fine university.

Cuco
pella, IA

life changing experiences

this town is hands one of the most interesting, fun and exciting places i'v ever been. between the albizin, the AlHanbra, the active student life, the mountains near by and the ocean only an hour away... it can't get much better then granada!

chelirae
Omaha, NE
College of Saint Mary

You will not regret this!

Studying abroad in Granada has been a life-changing experience. People can read this everywhere, but they won't understand or feel it until they come back to the US.
Central's program is set-up in a way that a student is able to experience not only the wonders of Granada, but Spain as well. The program director is always there to answer any questions and make students feel comfortable. I enjoyed living with a host family because I was able to get a deeper insight of the Spanish culture.
One of my favorite classes was Granada Seminar, which was a class unique to Central. The students and I were able to learn about bull fights, gypsies, politics and so much more. The program takes it a step further by taking the students to an actual bull fight, an olive oil manufacturing plant,a flamenco performance and many other places that were discussed in Granada Seminar.
Visiting Morocco was the biggest highlight of my experience. It was just indescribable.Students are able to talk to Moroccan students and learn about their lives and religion first hand.
Studying abroad in Granada will be unforgettable, amazing, and life-changing!

centralalum6824
Pella, IA
Central College

I will never forget this experience

Every day I was able to interact with my host family, it was wonderful to eat three meals a day with them. It was a very relaxed set-up; If I wanted to go out for tapas one night it wouldn't be a problem. You are treated as one of their own and you have just the right amount of independence. Traveling was very easy to do with the way classes are set up. The program director is absolutely amazing!

loccmai
Iowa
Loras College

The Opportunity of a Lifetime

I will easily admit that the 3 and 1/2 months I spent in Granada with Central Abroad were the best of my life.

Initially, I was terrified –scared that I wouldn’t be able to handle being away from home; that I would have trouble making new friends or that I wouldn’t get along with my host family. These were fears shared by many of my fellow students but the most prominent feeling, my greatest fear, was disappointment. I feared that somehow I would travel halfway across the world and not get what I wanted out of the experience. Now that the end is here, I can conclude that I didn’t get what I expected –I got so much more.

Looking back on my time in Spain, I find it impossible to put my experience into words. I can honestly say I returned home a different person –a stronger, better person. I can’t see how you wouldn’t be different When you spend such an extensive time abroad, when you’re stripped of everything familiar –everything you thought defined who you were –you find that you’re really stronger than you ever could have imagined. It hasn’t always been easy. There were times when the language barrier was too much to overcome, when the culture clash became too overwhelming –when I wished I had never left home.Those moments were few and far between, and they helped me grow as a person.

During the school week I woke up each morning to a hearty breakfast prepared for me by my host mother, Carmen. My walk to school was about 30 minutes. This might not sound appealing at first, but you'll miss this quiet time when you return to the States! It was nice having exercise built into my daily routine! Made me feel less guilty about all the churros and chocolate!

The professors at the Center of Modern Languages were truly fantastic. They focused on improving our language abilities, while providing thorough lectures about the historical and cultural aspects of Spain. I learned a lot, but I never felt bogged down by coursework. They made sure that we had time to experience the culture of Spain firsthand.

Veronica and the rest of the CCA support staff were amazing. They put so much hard work into organizing orientation week, the Morocco exchange, other group excursions and when the time came Veronica helped us register for classes. Jose's classes were extremely informative and really fun. He has a great sense of humor and makes learning truly enjoyable. Cristina was always there to answer questions or just chat if we stopped by the office. I wouldn't have survived without them.

If I could give potential students one piece of advice, it would be TRY EVERYTHING! Don't cheat yourself out of an experience because you are tired or feeling a little home sick. You will regret it. Push yourself beyond your limits and you'll discover a whole new person. Take advantage of your time in Granada. Travel, enjoy the nightlife, eat out, shop, and most importantly, cherish the friendships you make because they are sure to last a lifetime. I know mine will.

lola
iowa

granadino

This was one of the greatest experiences I've had in college. I was at a point were my course work was mundane and I felt I hadn't actually started living my college life. I needed a chance to see what else was and is offered out there, this was the best and most rewarding option that I wouldn't change for anything.

Roseabroad
Storm Lake, Iowa
University of Granada

Spain in a Nutshell

Spain is a fantastic to study abroad. I have grown so much as a person over the last 4 months. The director and her support staff and fantastic and I am very sad to leave them. The school used by Central is good. The professors and nice and know how to teach foreign students; they are very good at explaining questions and concepts to students. The housing is fine, depending on the host family it could be fantastic, touch and go, or just fine. Even though myself and some of my friends had a few problems with ourhost families over the semester I enjoyed living with a host family because it helped me to more fully understand and appreciate the Spanish culture.

Overall, studying abroad in Granada, Spain has been a fantastic experience and I recommend it to anyone!

vierreb
Buena Vista University

Take time to immerse yourself and discover something new!

My semester abroad here in Granada has been amazing! I never thought I would leave the small town life in Iowa as I grew up on a farm. But, it just so happened a semester 'freed' up for me so I dove in and applied for this program.
My time here has truly helped me find my inner being and has helped me grow as a person. Though you are able to depend on your new friends and staff abroad, you're also able to find just how independent you can be.
Taking class every day for 4 hours hasn't been bad at all. I'm in the Intensive program and have class from 9am-1pm every day Monday-Friday. This class has really helped improve my Spanish and I am feeling more comfortable using the language.
Each day brings something new as you learn the Monday-Friday and weekend habits of the locals. And, having the chance to live out the culture the 4 months I've been here has been such a learning experience! There is never a dull moment. From test tasting olive oil and wine and getting to see a Flamenco show and a bull fight, it has been worth every minute!
Of course when you study abroad, you may encounter difficulties along the way, but no matter what life brings there will be easy and hard times. And remember you people around you who can and are willing to help you get through any difficult times. You just need to stay positive and believe in yourself, and everything will be okay! Trust me!
So what are you waiting for? Take the next step towards learning and living a strong, rich culture in Granada, Spain!

eeb002
Morningside College

Central Abroad in Spain!

This program is a great way to see and be immersed in the culture of a different country. Central places students with host families using a simple questionnaire. The woman that I have been places with could not be a more wonderful host-mom. She always asks me how my day was and makes sure that I get enough to eat. Also,the locations that the students are placed in are normally close to at least another student, so no one has to walk to school alone.

The academics of this program are also arranged so that students are really getting an education, not just hanging around. For the first two weeks we went through an orientation, about the city and also reviewing the Spanish that we may have lost over the summer. To get to know the city better we went on walking tours being led by one of the professors at the university. He knows his stuff and it was a great time. The orientation really helped us to have a little refresher before diving headlong into classes taught only in Spanish. There is a wide variety of classes that we get to choose from and they also vary the level of difficulty so the students who don't have as much of a Spanish background can still be in this program.

The city of Granada itself is a great place for students because of the large university. Many students come from around Spain to attend classes here.The daytime has plenty of options for shopping and walking around seeing the incredible beauty of the old town. Also, the more touristy attraction of the Alhambra really isn't all that touristy at all. People flock there to see the ancient city and take great shots of the city below. The nightlife in Granada is good for students, if they choose to go out. There are plenty of tapas places for those who like to sit and talk, but there are also the packed discos/dance clubs for those who like a little more adventure.

The director of the program here in Spain is a great woman who cares about her students and makes sure that we are getting the most out of our time here, but also lets us have some free weekends to get to know things on our own. She arranges side trips to the other famous cities in Spain and gives us the opportunity to see the other important parts that make up Spain.

Granada is a wonderful place for students to learn and experience another culture. Central College Abroad really allows us to do that. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to see Spain.

Established in 1965, Central College Abroad is a nationally recognized study abroad provider attracting students from across the United States. Colleges and universities choose Central College Abroad to offer rich global opportunities for their students. International educators tell us that Central College's programs provide their