IES Abroad Salamanca Summer

IES Abroad Salamanca Summer

Salamanca’s fame lies in the prestige of its university and the graceful architecture of the Plaza Mayor and surrounding neighborhoods. The Universidad de Salamanca, the oldest university in Spain and one of the most prestigious in Europe, opened in 1218. Tradition and history permeate the city, where construction on its “new” Cathedral began in the 1500s.

In this full-immersion program, classes are offered by Cursos Internacionales of Universidad de Salamanca, one of the preeminent centers in the teaching of Spanish in the world. Each four-week program is equal to an entire semester of Spanish language study.

Europe » Spain » Salamanca
Zoology and Wildlife Sciences
Spanish
Age Requirement
Health Requirement
Contact IES Abroad or see website for details.

Maura

An Unforgettable Summer in Salamanca!

Most study abroad students choose to do a semester study abroad, but as a double major I knew that I would not be able to graduate on time and complete a study abroad- I opted for the Salamanca summer program, and I am so glad I did. I was able to pack a semester full of memories into one unforgettable summer! Through IES Abroad and the awesome staff in the Salamanca office I felt prepared and informed to make Salamanca my own, and explore the city and all that Spain had to offer. Salamanca is the perfect sized city for students who want an authentic cultural experience in an urban setting, while still having a "college town" feel. Similarly, the city of Salamanca is very friendly to foreign students and encourages them to try their spanish. They are patient and understanding, and want to help you learn! Outside of learning the language there are lots of things to do- such as museums, shows, parks, restaurants- and 2 main train station stops if you want to leave for the weekend and explore Spain and more of Europe!

The IES abroad center was a great home location, and organized social events and activities for us to enjoy and get to know each other better. Thanks to our full schedule of activities I felt more comfortable branching out and exploring Salamanca. My newfound friends and I even explored other parts of Spain too! Overall, Salamanca is the perfect balance between a bustling city and university town. At my current university I feel more open to trying new things and going out of my comfort zone, and I can't thank IES and the staff at Salamanca enough for fostering that sense of confidence in me!

The only thing I feel could be improved is more information prior to going abroad. At times I felt a little bit unprepared about my home stay and what to expect, as well as more logistics for the first couple of days there. Otherwise I was very satisfied!

Emma
Gettysburg College

A Remarkable Experience

As a winter sport athlete, I was worried that I wouldn't get to study abroad and get that experience in my life like my of my friends. IES Abroad gave me the opportunity of a lifetime to study over the summer so that I could still have an international experience. The administration in Salamanca are actually amazing, and each of them provides so many opportunities to immerse yourself in the language, the culture, and in just cultivating friendships. I definitely was pushed out of my comfort zone with this program because I didn't know anyone going into it, but it was so worthwhile. I met so many new people that I still talk to everyday and getting the opportunity to better my language skills has proved invaluable to my career development as well as my own personal goals. I can't thank IES Abroad enough for giving me the Study abroad experience that I dreamed of. I have definitely been more inspired to try new things since coming home, especially stepping out of my comfort zone. My Spanish classes are much more interesting and I love being able to practice the skills I learned abroad in those classes.

Holly
South Carolina
Wofford College

My Year abroad

I can't write enough positive words about my experience abroad. I was terrified to go abroad with a disability, but IES Salamanca made me feel very comfortable. I felt safe, secure, and happy and made friendships that will last a lifetime. I improved my Spanish skills immensely and was able to travel independently. This small intimate program is perfect for language intensive activities as it is rigorous, fun, supportive, and inclusive.

Add more classes in science and math based fields.

Cameron
Chapel Hill
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

A beautiful summer in the golden city

Salamanca is an incredibly beautiful city. Prior to my trip, I had never travelled to Europe. The beauty of Salamanca set my standards for the rest of Europe very high. Although Madrid, Paris, and Rome were beautiful, no other place during my travels compared to this city. The city is so well preserved that it is like stepping back in time. The first weekend I spent there left me completely in awe. I spent the first week going to class and then purposefully getting lost and exploring all of the hidden treasures of the city. The best way to explore is to just wander. The city is small enough that you won't end up in a "bad" neighborhood, but large enough that you can safely get lost in the beauty.

Molly
Portland, OR
University of Portland

Summer in Salamanca

I studied in Salamanca, Spain through IES during their Summer Session I. This program is a month long and perfectly timed for busy students who have a rigorous class schedule during fall/spring semester and/or have other summer commitments. As a pre-med biology major, I was unable to study abroad for an entire semester. However, this summer program allowed me to greatly enrich my Spanish language skills over a shorter period of time through language immersion.
During my trip, I not only learned a ton but also had an adventure of a lifetime. From the beautiful beaches of Portugal to the majestic Alhambra in Granada to the historical streets of Salamanca (where I spent most of my time), I had an amazing time traveling and discovering the beauty and culture of Spain.
I highly recommend studying abroad through IES. They are helpful in making trips affordable through financial aid opportunities, they provide students with a safe environment to learn and amazing host families to live with, and they give students the independence to make their experience what they want it to be.

Suzanne
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Macalester College

Excellent program! Encourages independence abroad!

One of the best decisions I have made. The incredibly supportive staff was there when needed and still allowed for independence when desired. Having the option of living in the student dorms was also a great decision. I had the freedom to come and go as I pleased as well as an opportunity to explore further the daily life of a citizen of Salamanca. From buying groceries to going for tapas with friends, I could not have been more fortunate in terms of friendliness and safety of the city. The crime rate is impressively low and people are more than willing to go out of their way to help you if you are lost or searching for something. If I could do it again, I would not choose anywhere else!

The academics were not incredibly challenging, but this could also be seen as a positive since it allowed for more time to explore and enjoy the city.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to