ISA Study Abroad in Malaga, Spain

ISA Study Abroad in Malaga, Spain

Looking for a new and exciting study abroad program? Why not join ISA and study abroad in Málaga, Spain! Located on the southern coast of Spain, Málaga is considered to be the gateway to the Costa del Sol, one of the most popular holiday destinations in the world. It boasts some of the best fish and seafood cafes in Europe (not to mention amazing weather year-round). Málaga is a bustling place that is full of life and has something to offer every study abroad student.

ISA has partnered with the University of Málaga to offer students a number of study abroad program options. These programs are focused on intensive Spanish language and cultural immersion, and are offered throughout the year. Housing options include a home-stay with a local Spanish family to maximize student's cultural experience.

Please visit our website to learn more about our study abroad program at the University of Málaga, and to apply directly online.

Europe » Spain » Malaga

Meagan
Grove City, Pennsylvania
Grove City College

The Perfect Location

Where to begin. I cannot rave enough about my experience in Malaga. I loved absolutely everything about it, from ISAs friendly and helpful staff to long afternoons spent on the beach, sunbathing and eating gelato. The climate is perfect: warm and sunny, and it barely ever rains (at least in the fall). The host family I lived with was absolutely phenomenal - even though they didn't speak any English, they were kind and understanding, and living with them helped me improve my Spanish by leaps and bounds. A normal day consisted of going to Spanish class for a few hours, and one or two classes later in the day. I usually went home to eat lunch with my host family (which gave me great access to the local cuisine,) and would spend the rest of the afternoon either on the beach or hanging out with friends. Because of the airport, train, and bus stations in Malaga, it's very easy to travel, nationally or internationally.

Essentially, I loved everything about the ISA program in Malaga. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could, and treasure every memory I have from my phenomenal semester.

I wish we would have had classes with local students. We did, however, have classes with other Erasmus students which was very cool and helped me to meet a ton of awesome people!

Leah
Salt Lake City, Utah
Westminster College

Living in Malaga

My favorite part of living in Malaga was the people I encountered while living there. My host family was wonderful and so willing to help with anything. Same with the ISA Malaga staff. However, beyond that, so many of the locals I met were wonderful as well. I met so many lifelong friends while in Malaga and I think that is because it is such a social culture. I went to multiple intercambios and met so many wonderful people there who I continued to spend time with while I was in Spain and even now that I am home we still talk. The people and culture are so welcoming and friendly!

I think it would have been better if we could have gone to school with locals. However, it was awesome taking classes with people from all over the world, it would have been cool to be in classes with locals.

Nick
Bellingham, WA
Western Washington University

Confidence

In my time studying abroad with ISA I gained an immense amount of confidence which I have taken with me into the rest of my life and academics. I learned that I am capable of leaving behind a comfortable lifestyle and thriving in an unknown environment. I learned much about how I communicate with people, and gained the confidence to make lasting friendships quickly and easily. Summed up, I gained the confidence to experience this world I live in to the fullest and find my place in it.

While there was plenty of opportunities for me to participate in cultural exchanges with local people of my own age, all were optional. Because I only started going to these activities well into my program I feel I missed out on some time I could have used to really integrate myself into the local lifestyle.

Rouslana
University of Georgia

Study Abroad in Malaga

I can't rave enough about my experience in Malaga. The city itself is the perfect intersection between a relaxing coastal town and a rich cultural hub. It has all of the history, art, food, and shopping you can find in a bustling big city, but the people are warm and welcoming like you'd expect in a smaller town. The best part is you can easily walk to almost anywhere you want if you are located centrally, but if not, public transportation is super reliable and easy to use. If I wasn't at the beach after class, one of my favorite things to do was to just talk a walk through the city center. Malaga is big enough to discover a cool new street or shop each time you venture out, but small enough to only be a short walk home. In the one month I was there, I saw at least 3 different types of festivals or events being held in the city, so there's no chance of running out of things to do.

Another perk of being in Malaga is how easy it is to travel around to close towns in that area of Spain, and there are some gems you'll want to hop over to on the weekend (Ronda, Marbella, anywhere along the Costa del Sol).

My experience with ISA was equally as great. Before I left for my trip, I was incredibly nervous to live with a host family for a whole month, but it was probably the best decision I could have made. It allowed me to immerse myself in the culture and language way more than I would have if I lived on my own. Soon after arriving in Malaga, we met our local ISA representatives who were very helpful and easy to talk to. At no point during my trip did I feel unsafe, and that was partly because the ISA reps were always so available and eager to assist us with any issues we had. Overall, an incredible experience; I highly recommend it!

Brisa
Florida
University of Florida

Summer 2 in Malaga

Malaga is the perfect city to study abroad! The size is just about right; it's big enough for you to explore the different neighborhoods and keep discovering new things, yet it's not too big to be overwhelming. Malaga has an authentic Andalusian feel and the BEST weather. Although it has a well-connected airport and miles of Mediterranean beaches, it is not touristy so you will barely hear English - if at all!

The school is 3-minute walk from El Palo beach. The campus is exclusively for international students, but you are likely to have classes with fellow ISA students. The workload is doable. I barely had homework and found that my language class was not that challenging. The other class that I had was interesting, but I did not expect to write a long paper at the end so it made the end of my program a bit stressful.

The ISA staff in Malaga is so welcoming and helpful. They respect your decisions and understand that the students are adults, but they are always there if we would ever need help. If there are questions that they could not answer right away (very few existed), they will not stop until they find the answers! I owe much of my "independent" post-study abroad travel planning to the staff!

As for the housing, I am glad I chose to do a home stay. My host mom picked me up from the Malaga Maria Zombrano train station and made me feel at home since day 1. She and my host dad are very understanding, especially when it comes to my countless changes of plans. They also listen to my food preferences and I am very satisfied with the meals. Another plus is that my laundry was done more frequently than it was expected!

Compared to the other students, I lived the furthest from the city center, even though it was only three blocks from the main shopping street. Inevitably, I had to walk home alone after a night out, but I generally feel very safe. I've heard people say that the Spaniards stay late out at night, but I found that this was not always the case. Oftentimes, I would be the only one in the street at night. It is also said that cat-calling is an issue, especially in Andalusia, but I think it has been blown out of proportion. It does not happen as much as people seem to say. Yes, some men will utter "guapa" or "morena" as you walk by, but as long as you ignore them, they would not advance.

Overall, I would recommend ISA Malaga to a friend. Amazing city right on the beach, lovely weather, doable school work, vibrant nightlife, and great staff!

Over

If I could change one thing, it would be that I wish I had stay longer! I became very attached to the city and my group of new friends I wish I had more time with them.

Another thing that would make the program perfect is the new location for the school. I wish the school was on the main University of Malaga campus. But it is right on the beach, so I can't complain!

wengke01
Decorah, IA
Luther College

Life-Changing

The time I spent in Málaga was great, I can't help but look back on my adventures in Spain and smile. I got to explore a different country, as well as learn about the history (including things that aren't in the books). The professors at the University of Málaga- Cursos para extranjeros were all incredible people, and made learning fun and interesting. My homestay was a wonderful family, with a great location in regards to the city and only 20-25 minutes by bus from my campus.

If I had to change something, I would have done the Studies with Spaniards option (Spring 3).

emvanostran
Charleston, Illinois
Eastern Illinois University

Exploring Malaga

Some of the best things about living in Malaga specifically are the fact that you have the beach readily available and if you're an active person, you won't be alone. Many Malageunos run, skate, skateboard, and do yoga on or along the beach everyday.
The people in Malaga are also very open and fun to get to know. My host family was amazing, I lived with a young mother and her eight year old son. I even got to take her son to the park one day so she could have some time to herself!! They really began to feel like family and I consider her my Spanish Mom.
Maybe most importantly for those who are planning to learn the language while in Malaga, the learning program is intense and really forces the students to learn. I can't say I had too much homework. But because of the interaction that was basically required each class period, I really learned to speak and understand much more than I thought possible in only a three month period.

I would suggest to the students that they bring a good supply of warm clothes. I was under the impression that Malaga would be super warm all the time. However, at night it gets down into the 50's and the apartments aren't well insulated. So bring a hoodie and some sweatpants!

LaMalaguena
Los Angeles, CA

Review from a Malaguena

Malaga is a city full of great people, incredible food, and will hands down be the best experience of your life. The daily schedule, including a 3:00 PM siesta, was relaxed and gives you plenty of time to meet the locals, go to the beach, and enjoy the infamous Spanish nightlife. Living off the coast of Spain is a must!

As a leader in international education for over twenty-five years, ISA is dedicated to providing university level students with the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education abroad programs across Africa,