Emerging Economies: Buenos Aires & Santiago Study Abroad

Spend a semester in Buenos Aires and Santiago on a multi-location program that focuses on the globalization and economic growth of these distinct cultures. The 12-week program begins in Buenos Aires, where you’ll live and learn for the first half of the program. After a week-long, course-related excursion to Peru, an economic powerhouse in South America, you’ll conclude the program in Santiago.

Learn how these two great cities are poised to emerge as Latin America’s strongest economies. Find out about their challenges and their triumphs, their past and their future through experiential learning opportunities in both cities.

Alexa

Incredible travel opportunity

This program is amazing because it allows you to visit four different countries, and really spend time living in two. Not only was it incredible to get to live in the bustling capitals of Buenos Aires, Argentina and Santiago, Chile, but also we got a chance to visit Uruguay for a day and travel all throughout Peru for a week. And that is just the travel that is included in the program - even more can be done on your own. What was so incredible to me was how one Latin American country is so culturally different from the next. I got to travel around so much and see so many beautiful places! Waterfalls, lakes, mountains, volcanos, you name it and you’ll probably find it in Argentina or Chile and it will take your breath away.

As much as I really truly did enjoy learning in the classroom by some really fantastic professors, this is a highly academic program. You’ll take 16-19 credits, which is a lot for when you’re abroad. It does not leave a ton of time to explore the cities.
Jess

Review of Emerging Economies program

I absolutely LOVED my time with IES. I felt very taken care of during my whole experience with IES. First of all, I was put with the loveliest host families who had had a lot of experience with exchange students in the past. I also know that my requests were fully taken into account when they placed me with my host family family. For example, I said I really wanted to have siblings and feel like a part of the family, and for my second homestay I was put with the most loving family who had three children! I absolutely loved it and the homestays were my favorite part of the whole program. I also felt like the staff of IES really cared for their students and I liked how this program was very small and only had 15 students. We all became very close by the end and it very cohesive and fun. There were many field trips planned by IES and I felt like all of them were very well planned and VERY fun. Lastly, the week trip to Peru in between Argentina and Chile was phenomenal. It was so nicely planned and just a wonderful experience overall. I recommend this program whole-heartedly!

The only problem I had with this program was the amount of time spent in class. Since we had a limited time in some of the classes because we had two countries we were staying in, the content was very crammed and we were in class a lot. I felt like sometimes I was in class way too much and it was taking away from the time I could be out and seeing the new city I was living in.
Emily

Go to South America!!

My university doesn't have any programs in South America, but IES let me travel to four South American countries and live in two of them! Having a host family is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I was so happy with the host moms IES placed me with. I still keep in touch with them on a weekly basis. Buenos Aires was incredible, and then just when we thought it couldn't get any better...we left to go to Peru (where IES treated us to the finest hotels, dinners, tours, the whole 9 yards). By the time we were in Santiago, I never wanted to leave. The cities themselves were incredible, but the destinations we went to on the weekends were like nothing I'd ever seen in my life. Truly amazing experience.

I wish I would have gotten more time, whether that means lengthening the program so we had more time in each country (including Peru) or shortening the class schedule so we had more time outside of class.
Robrenisha

3 Countries - One Semester (Argentina, Peru, Chile)

When you have to fit 3 countries into one semester, it is a whirlwind of emotions and fun. I spent 7 weeks in Buenos Aires, Argentina; 7 weeks in Santiago, Chile; 1 week in Peru. Time moved fast and the challenge was to utilize every moment to create a lasting memory, a learning opportunity, or an eye opener. It was AMAZING, with some hard moments, home sickness, English withdrawals, and just plain weirdness (like getting stared at on the streets of BA). IES as an institute was very influential in providing us with the information to involve ourselves in each community, in each culture. For instance, they would send us emails about local events happening that week/month. Furthermore, they made a point to celebrate Thanksgiving, which reminded us that they recognize the importance of bringing aspects of our culture and sharing them others. Thanksgiving was a potluck style feast, all of our host families came, and we ate lots of food like we normally would (though the dishes were quite different). On the weekends, we took fantastic trips to deserts, waterfalls, and neighboring mountains. We went on field trips to local museums, rural towns where larger native populations reside, and did many a walking tour around the historical and politically important areas. Continually, having a small group to live these experiences with meant that sI always had people to explore with, or I could go on my own. Through IES I got to reach beyond my comfort zones and because of that I’ve gotten to spend my time with many different wonderful people. Now, all I want to do is travel more, in general, and to return to Santiago. Also, I have a better idea of what is important to me in terms of my career goals (turns out travel opportunities and continued learning possibilities are important to me). I've learned how to solve conflicts like an adult, to be open minded, to be uncomfortable, to be lost, to be willing.

I recognize its hard because we are only there for a short while, but more interaction with the universities would have been nice
Cindy

Remarkable Experience Abroad as Pioneers

When I first decided to study abroad, little did I know how much this experience would change my life. All I knew is that it would push me far my comfort zone and that it would enhance my life for the better. As I embarked on this journey, I was beyond ecstatic to fully immerse myself into new cultures, perspectives and a thrill for an adventure into the unknown. My program specifically was the right one for me because it included travels to 3 different countries in South America (Brazil, Peru, & Chile) and the courses related to my degree of Business Administration. I also liked the fact that I would be living in South America, the roots of where my family is from. I entered this journey with no expectations just a curiosity. I wanted to learn about these emerging economies and how I can a run business internationally. Thankfully this was all possible and a great achievement for my future. My highlight to this journey was the moment when we got to the top of Machu Picchu. I felt spiritually connected and a weight was lifted. The IES Abroad centers in Rio and Santiago are strategically located in a nice and safe area. From the moment I got there, they were with me every step of the way, I felt I could easily talk to someone from each center. They were very helpful and made our journey one to remember. Being the pioneers for this program made it even more exciting. Our group particularly connected very well and we became a close family. At the end of this experience, I gained a global perspective in business, a deeper understanding of myself, created remarkable memories and friendships that will last a lifetime.

I had no complains what so ever. Just that they need to let the travelers know to pack light. Traveling to different countries within South America can be expensive with the luggage situation.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...