IES Abroad Multi-Location – Emerging Economies: Buenos Aires & Santiago

Spend a semester in Buenos Aires and Santiago on a multi-location program that focuses on the globalization and economic growth of these distinct cultures. The 12-week program begins in Buenos Aires, where you’ll live and learn for the first half of the program. After a week-long, course-related excursion to Peru, an economic powerhouse in South America, you’ll conclude the program in Santiago.

Learn how these two great cities are poised to emerge as Latin America’s strongest economies. Find out about their challenges and their triumphs, their past and their future through experiential learning opportunities in both cities.

Robrenisha

3 Countries - One Semester (Argentina, Peru, Chile)

When you have to fit 3 countries into one semester, it is a whirlwind of emotions and fun. I spent 7 weeks in Buenos Aires, Argentina; 7 weeks in Santiago, Chile; 1 week in Peru. Time moved fast and the challenge was to utilize every moment to create a lasting memory, a learning opportunity, or an eye opener. It was AMAZING, with some hard moments, home sickness, English withdrawals, and just plain weirdness (like getting stared at on the streets of BA). IES as an institute was very influential in providing us with the information to involve ourselves in each community, in each culture. For instance, they would send us emails about local events happening that week/month. Furthermore, they made a point to celebrate Thanksgiving, which reminded us that they recognize the importance of bringing aspects of our culture and sharing them others. Thanksgiving was a potluck style feast, all of our host families came, and we ate lots of food like we normally would (though the dishes were quite different). On the weekends, we took fantastic trips to deserts, waterfalls, and neighboring mountains. We went on field trips to local museums, rural towns where larger native populations reside, and did many a walking tour around the historical and politically important areas. Continually, having a small group to live these experiences with meant that sI always had people to explore with, or I could go on my own. Through IES I got to reach beyond my comfort zones and because of that I’ve gotten to spend my time with many different wonderful people. Now, all I want to do is travel more, in general, and to return to Santiago. Also, I have a better idea of what is important to me in terms of my career goals (turns out travel opportunities and continued learning possibilities are important to me). I've learned how to solve conflicts like an adult, to be open minded, to be uncomfortable, to be lost, to be willing.

I recognize its hard because we are only there for a short while, but more interaction with the universities would have been nice
Cindy

Remarkable Experience Abroad as Pioneers

When I first decided to study abroad, little did I know how much this experience would change my life. All I knew is that it would push me far my comfort zone and that it would enhance my life for the better. As I embarked on this journey, I was beyond ecstatic to fully immerse myself into new cultures, perspectives and a thrill for an adventure into the unknown. My program specifically was the right one for me because it included travels to 3 different countries in South America (Brazil, Peru, & Chile) and the courses related to my degree of Business Administration. I also liked the fact that I would be living in South America, the roots of where my family is from. I entered this journey with no expectations just a curiosity. I wanted to learn about these emerging economies and how I can a run business internationally. Thankfully this was all possible and a great achievement for my future. My highlight to this journey was the moment when we got to the top of Machu Picchu. I felt spiritually connected and a weight was lifted. The IES Abroad centers in Rio and Santiago are strategically located in a nice and safe area. From the moment I got there, they were with me every step of the way, I felt I could easily talk to someone from each center. They were very helpful and made our journey one to remember. Being the pioneers for this program made it even more exciting. Our group particularly connected very well and we became a close family. At the end of this experience, I gained a global perspective in business, a deeper understanding of myself, created remarkable memories and friendships that will last a lifetime.

I had no complains what so ever. Just that they need to let the travelers know to pack light. Traveling to different countries within South America can be expensive with the luggage situation.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...