CAPA Barcelona: Study & Intern Abroad

Barcelona

Dynamic and diverse, Barcelona is bursting with bold and distinctive architecture, sandy Mediterranean beaches, and an exciting tapas food culture. Did you know that it’s also one of the most LGBTQIA friendly cities, home to one of the world’s most beloved soccer teams, and has no fewer than nine UNESCO World Heritage sites to explore? Plus, it’s a booming hub for business and foreign investment, especially for entrepreneurs and tech start-ups, which makes it a fantastic place to add on an international internship.

The CAPA Barcelona program is based at the Institute for American Universities (IAU) in the downtown Plaça de Catalunya area, near Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. Our distinctive blend of academic and experiential education takes your learning style, interests, preferences and independence into consideration. You’ll learn both inside the classroom and beyond, with field studies, excursions, and My Global City events.

CAPA Scholarships
CAPA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Each year, we award $1.5 million in study abroad scholarships, grants and affiliate benefits!

$500 - $5,000

Mayra

$tudying Abroad in Barcelona- Spring 2019

Who would have thought I would ever study abroad? Considering that I am first generation college student and I am living on my own since the age of 18, this idea seamed like an illusion mainly so because of the cost. I used to think studying abroad was for a few selected, lucky people, however, CAPA made this dream come true at a very, very affordable cost. The program I went with was faculty-led semester abroad, meaning that professors from my campus came along with us, making us feel safer. The program made every possible effort to locate our apartments at a reasonable distance from our classes. CAPA provided transportation cards, housing, covered insurance and flights. The only thing I would care for would be food and individual trips. While abroad, the staff located in the city made sure that we also had fun connecting us to local weekend events, My Global City excursions and visits to museums to enhance our learning. The program made a great effort to provide classes that are transferable and can in some way benefit from this trip. For example, I was taking Travel Writing, which fit perfect! I got to make my own book with my experiences, emotions, and travels. Students, I would really recommend studying abroad with CAPA.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Stay more weekends in Barcelona instead of traveling.
Thomas

Absolutely do this program!

My experiences in Barcelona are second to none. CAPA provided me with an excellent internship, rewarding classes, and fantastic guides to the city. I spent six weeks in Barcelona working, taking classes, and exploring all the city had to offer. Six weeks really was not enough time to see everything I wanted to see, so I'll definitely have to go back.

The CAPA staff were so nice and helpful that I never felt alone, even though I was thousands of miles away from home. They treated us like adults, helping us when we needed it and leaving us alone when we didn't. I've been abroad with other programs and it's nice to feel like you aren't being hounded. Additionally, the other students I roomed with in the city kept the days lively. This aspect of the trip gave me the most pre-departure jitters, but after a few days of interacting, when became great friends.

I would recommend this program to anyone. Go explore what they have to offer. You're probably going to like the options.

Julia

I fell in love with Barcelona!!

Not to sound clichéd, but my summer abroad in Barcelona was a life-changing experience. And it is all thanks to CAPA!

I loved my courses! Learning about Barcelona from local professors really enhanced my overall experience. The CAPA directors in Barcelona were an amazing help and were always there if I needed anything. My host family was incredible! The food in Barcelona is amazing, and my host mom always made new local dishes for me to have for dinner each day. My favorites were all of the fresh seafood and definitely paella!

Interning at a local nonprofit and staying with a host family were really immersive experiences. Not knowing Catalan made it apparent that I was a foreigner, but everyone in Barcelona speaks Castilian Spanish, so I was able to communicate pretty well with everyone. I spoke Spanish in my internship and homestay, but I took my courses in English, so most of the time I was speaking with locals in Castilian Spanish. I was taking the metro and living pretty much like a local for the whole summer!

My advice if you are traveling to Barcelona: The city is extremely safe, with the only real danger being pickpockets. Make sure you guard your phone, wallet, purse, backpack, etc. at nighttime and on the metro. Never put things in your back pocket or out on the table! Also, don't eat or shop in the touristy spots if you can avoid it! You shouldn't be paying more than 1.50 euros for a café con leche, for instance, but touristy areas will charge you 2 or 3 euros! You can find a sandwich and a drink for around 4 euros if you know where to go. Barcelona can be an expensive city if you stick to just the tourist areas, but if you ask around you can find the places where locals hang out. That is where the reasonable prices are!

Everything about my experience, from the language immersion, to my internship, to my engaging courses, to my local friends, to the individualized tailoring that CAPA offers, was outstanding. 11/10 would recommend, and I would 100% do this again in a heartbeat!

Location:
72 F / 43 F
Airports:
Barcelona–El Prat
( BCN )

Whether you prefer beaches, buildings, or history, Barcelona is the place to be. Spend your time admiring Gaudi's work at La Sagrada Familia, walking down the Mar Bella beach, or learning about the history in Catalonia.

About CAPA: The Global Education Network

Studying abroad with CAPA means learning in the classroom, then supporting that structured academic foundation by going beyond and experiencing the diverse global city firsthand. You’ll do this through field studies and cultural events as well as on...