CAPA Barcelona: Study & Intern Abroad

Get ready to head to Barcelona, one of the largest and most exciting cities in Spain! Whether you're interested in art, architecture, history, the food scene, or simply learning how to live like a local, Barcelona has a little something for everyone! The city offers you endless opportunities to live it and be more than a tourist.

The CAPA Barcelona Program is based at the Institute for American Universities (IAU), located in the downtown Placa de Catalunya area and close to Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. CAPA's My Global City program offers you the opportunity and independence to decide how you want to learn about culture according to how you enjoy learning. You will get to experience a series of cultural events where you can tailor your involvement in the city around your chosen interests and learning-style preferences. Our special blend of academic and experiential education gives you the best possible in-class and out-of-class learning experience.

Thomas

Absolutely do this program!

My experiences in Barcelona are second to none. CAPA provided me with an excellent internship, rewarding classes, and fantastic guides to the city. I spent six weeks in Barcelona working, taking classes, and exploring all the city had to offer. Six weeks really was not enough time to see everything I wanted to see, so I'll definitely have to go back.

The CAPA staff were so nice and helpful that I never felt alone, even though I was thousands of miles away from home. They treated us like adults, helping us when we needed it and leaving us alone when we didn't. I've been abroad with other programs and it's nice to feel like you aren't being hounded. Additionally, the other students I roomed with in the city kept the days lively. This aspect of the trip gave me the most pre-departure jitters, but after a few days of interacting, when became great friends.

I would recommend this program to anyone. Go explore what they have to offer. You're probably going to like the options.

Julia

I fell in love with Barcelona!!

Not to sound clichéd, but my summer abroad in Barcelona was a life-changing experience. And it is all thanks to CAPA!

I loved my courses! Learning about Barcelona from local professors really enhanced my overall experience. The CAPA directors in Barcelona were an amazing help and were always there if I needed anything. My host family was incredible! The food in Barcelona is amazing, and my host mom always made new local dishes for me to have for dinner each day. My favorites were all of the fresh seafood and definitely paella!

Interning at a local nonprofit and staying with a host family were really immersive experiences. Not knowing Catalan made it apparent that I was a foreigner, but everyone in Barcelona speaks Castilian Spanish, so I was able to communicate pretty well with everyone. I spoke Spanish in my internship and homestay, but I took my courses in English, so most of the time I was speaking with locals in Castilian Spanish. I was taking the metro and living pretty much like a local for the whole summer!

My advice if you are traveling to Barcelona: The city is extremely safe, with the only real danger being pickpockets. Make sure you guard your phone, wallet, purse, backpack, etc. at nighttime and on the metro. Never put things in your back pocket or out on the table! Also, don't eat or shop in the touristy spots if you can avoid it! You shouldn't be paying more than 1.50 euros for a café con leche, for instance, but touristy areas will charge you 2 or 3 euros! You can find a sandwich and a drink for around 4 euros if you know where to go. Barcelona can be an expensive city if you stick to just the tourist areas, but if you ask around you can find the places where locals hang out. That is where the reasonable prices are!

Everything about my experience, from the language immersion, to my internship, to my engaging courses, to my local friends, to the individualized tailoring that CAPA offers, was outstanding. 11/10 would recommend, and I would 100% do this again in a heartbeat!

About CAPA The Global Education Network

What do you want to get out of your study abroad experience? No matter what, you’ll have to spend some time in the classroom. But what if there were a way to get out into your new city and truly live what you learn?

Welcome to CAPA: The Global...