Sol Education Abroad - Study Abroad in Granada, Spain

Sol Education Abroad - Study Abroad in Granada, Spain

We're known for being the most personable program in Granada. Our students not only take classes at the University of Granada but they also are able to have volunteer opportunities and language exchanges. Our directors at Sol Education Abroad assist you in taking advantage of all the amazing activities Granada has to offer such as intramural sports, informal classes with locals, and many unique cultural activities. We have incredible host families and offer the most affordable priced Granada, Spain program.

Europe » Spain » Granada
Maymester
Winter
Spanish
Letters of Recommendation
The program cost includes tuition, housing (3 meals per day), weekend excursions (transportation, hotel, meals, entrance fees), weekday cultural activities, 24/7 director support, international medical insurance, laundry, and airport transfers. Scholarships are available on our website.

Lois

Best Experience I’ve had Abroad

I absolutely loved my time in Granada. The city is absolutely beautiful, but Sol helps you really plug into the city and help you experience it on a more personal level. For example, they surround you with the most loving and supportive people. The directors, teachers and host families were all so genuinely caring and made a huge impact on my experience there. This made the classes so enjoyable and productive. I improved in my spanish exponentially in my time there, and I had fun while in the classroom. It was truly an unforgettable experience that I’m forever grateful for.

Sambridhi
Houston
University of Houston

Great Experience in Granada, Spain!

After studying in Granada, Spain this winter break, I realized that I wanted to share my amazing experience abroad with other students. I learned so much in such a short period of time and gained invaluable memories with other students in my program. Not only did I improve my Spanish significantly, I was able to immerse myself in the vibrant Spanish culture. During this experience, I received a lot of support and guidance from my program directors and teachers. I would like to share my experiences and recommend this program to others.

Diana
University of Granada

Mi experiencia en Granada

TRANSLATION:

These 3 months I've lived in Granada have been fantastic, I have met wonderful people and made great friends. The trips I made with my friends and with the program were unforgettable experiences. I really enjoyed traveling to Morocco because it is a culture very different from the other countries I have known. I would tell future participants to not be afraid of traveling and meeting new friends. Granada is a great city to live in, people are very friendly and there are many places with a lot of history to visit. Granada is a very safe city too and I liked that a lot.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Estos 3 meses que he vivido en Granada han sido fantásticos, he conocido gente maravillo y he conocido grandes amigos. Los viajes que hice con mis amigos y con el programa fueron experiencias inolvidables. Me gusto mucho haber viajado a Marruecos porque es una cultura muy diferente a los otros países que he conocido. Les diría a los futuros participantes que no tengan miedo a viajar y conocer nuevos amigos. Granada es una gran ciudad para vivir, la gente es muy simpática y hay muchos lugares cheveres con mucha historia para visitar. Granada, es una ciudad muy segura también y eso me gusto mucho.

nada, el programa es perfecto.

Erin
Worcester State University

Granada

This was the most exciting adventure I am yet to undertake. Going to a new country,and learning a new language has its difficulties but I wouldn’t trade the experience I’ve had for anything in the world. I want anyone thinking about coming to Spain to definitely try as hard as you can to get over here! The food, culture and people are incredible and interesting. Learning another culture will really open your eyes to know that there is more out there in the world.

Bernardo

Granada

It was a great program. Academics were great, Granada is a beautiful city with plenty to do and very accessible to a number of places to travel to. This expeience helped me learn so much about spanish culture and explore new places and try new things. I would try to bring lighter clothes if you go to granada because it is a warm climate and does not get very cold, a mistake I made because I thought it would get colder in December.

I think we would have more excursions to different places in Spain and reduce the number of cultural activities.

Daniel
University of Granada

SOL

I had a great experience from the start. My program directors were a great help and very knowledgeable. The homestay was perfect and the family was very welcoming. I enjoyed everything the program had to offer and more. I think the best part of my experience was being able to immerse myself into a new culture and learn a new language. I recommend this program to anyone who is curious about a spanish study abroad program. SOL Education is a great program and is there every step of the way.

Caroline

Living in Granada

Spending the past couple months in Granda have been a great learning experience and have shaped me into a new person for the better. My Spanish has gotten a lot better and I know feel more confident to talk with native speakers. I have a greater understanding of the world and other cultures. Instead of just seeing pictures and hearing about them, I got to go see it and live there. I loved being able to travel and see different parts of the country I was living in than I normally might not have gone to. I saw so many things and places that I never even knew exsisted.

Better ways to help the students in class and traveling locally and to other countries

Gabriel

Sol Education Abroad

Overall great abroad experience. Sol did a great job of making us feel included in everything they offered us. I definitely felt immersed into the program, especially considering I did not know a lot of Spanish entering into the program. Now, I can hold a conversation and understand most things! It was an incredible experience that I will never regret. I made great lifelong friends as well from around the country that I would have never met.

Ayesha
University of Houston

Enriching Once In a Lifetime Experience!

The classes were fun and I learned a good amount of Spanish and about the culture, but they were not very organized and there were some issues with one of the teachers who had a bad attitude and personal problems. The class was not structured very well because many teachers were going on vacation in August and the students were not told how they were being graded and what their exam was like. But, the main teacher I had was very fun and energetic and I enjoyed my time in class. We would get off topic a lot and I think they could work on the structure and organization, especially in the month of August where in Spain they go on vacation.

Our on site directors Edu and Herman were wonderful! Edu was particularly helpful and readily available. She was very sweet and caring and was always checking up with us!

I loved our host family! Everything was great about the family and the apartment aside for the fact that it was very very hot and the air conditioning in our room in particular was not working and the fan did not do much to combat the heat. That is the only thing that made our stay uncomfortable- everything else was great.

Improve on quality of classes - in terms of organization and structure especially for the three week program because it is very short and to get the most benefit from that short amount of time, the classes need to be structured very well which they were not because the teachers were going on vacation and the students were being tested on material they had not truly learned.

Benjamin

Study Abroad with SOL!

I participated in a five week program in Granada, Spain. The program was well organized and the directors were extremely helpful. They were ready to answer any questions and concerns at all hour of the day. The transition into this new culture and place was very easy because they provided me with the tools and information to help me succeed. The university was in the center of the city and was full of helpful and intelligent professors. I loved that my program was full of activities and excursions every single day. They weren't required, but I didn't miss a single activity because they were always fun and exciting. I also have to give them an A+ on helping me immerse myself into a new culture and learn a lot about the rich history of Granada.

I think that they did an amazing job! They could plan out their activities a little more strategically. Sometimes I felt like I had no time to rest because of how busy my schedule was, but then again I would rather have a program that offers too much than not enough!

Ana

Summer with SOL

I am about to complete the 9 week study abroad experience. At first, I was a little hesistant as to how it would be, but overall it has been great! The staff is very helpful and they are there to assist you when you need it. I got placed with an AMAZING family, which made the experience much more comfortable. The excursions they provide are knowledgeable and fun. I liked the program because they are so organized and are professional. The directors are also very friendly. I would totally recommend studying abroad with SOL!

I think it could be improved by including more excursions.

Claudia
Fort Worth, Texas

Studying with SOL

I have been here for the 9 week program and I can honestly say that I am glad that I came with SOL. In the beginning, I really wanted to go to Barcelona and I knew that SOL didn´t offer it, but compared to the other study programs that I visited with I felt like SOL was the one to go because they made me feel safe. I pictured myself with them because I knew if something bad were to happen with me they would be able to help me in all that they could. Compared to the other studying abroad programs they also were friendly whenever I met them and they didn´t mind when I kept calling and asking questions about the program. Overall I don´t regret coming with SOL. I feel that I was able to practice a lot on my Spanish and to enhance it. The cultural activities/excursions we took during the program have been amazing. In such a little time I have been able to learn and understand more about Spain as a country and Granada as a city. If I could do it over again and go to Barcelona I wouldn´t. I would choose to come to Granada with SOL because I feel as if SOL makes sure you get to see the hidden treasure that Granada holds within itself.

Isaac
Estados Unidos

Granada Study Abroad

This study abroad program was full of so much in depth cultural learning and fun. There was never any issues apparent throughout the two months that I was abroad and if there were they Sol staff would certainly be able to solve the problem quickly. With Sol education you are in good hands. In addition, the classes at CLM University of Granada were made enjoyable by the professors that choose to take time out of their summer to teach. They also teach in a method that is directed towards foreigners from any country so you do not feel incredibly out of place. Overall the experience was very enjoyable and cheaper than most.

Perhaps if you are doing more than one session in the summer, they could have more activities in the following sessions to meet the new people from the Sol program for that new session.

Joseph
Texas
Texas A&M University

Granada, the best city in Spain!

Granada is absolutely wonderful. It is a smaller city but there is plenty to do here. You don´t need ti ride a bus, take a cab or get on a subway everyday the entire city center is walkable. Sol Education Abroad is also fantastic they make you feel at home and have so many activities lined up for you so that way you can make the most of your time in Spain. They are always available to answer any questions you might have. The homestay is great and everybody has about a 15-20 minute walk to class. The walk is never boring and I suggest you walk like a Granadino, take your time and enjoy it. You have to study abroad with Sol in Granada, Spain you will not regret it!

Hannah

Summer Experience in Granada

My summer in Granada was one of the best summers of my life! The Sol staff here is amazing, they are always working to make sure we make the most of our experience and are always available to help with whatever we need, when we need it! Granada is by far one of the most beautiful and fun places I´ve ever visited in my life, so living here has been a dream. Sol makes sure that we experience Granada in the best way possible, so I´m so glad I chose this program. There´s not really anything I would change about my summer here, except maybe the fact that it was too short!

Sarah

My Granada Experience

I stayed two months in Granada with the program SOL and they have been two of the best months of my life. I was really worried about not feeling safe living in another country but I felt completely safe the whole time here. My host mom was especially kind and took care of me in every way that I needed. I definietly took advantage of the tapas and how easily accesible everything was by walking. It is a beautiful city with kind people!

Madison
Winona State University

BEST LIFE DECISION

I really enjoyed my experience in Granada, Spain with Sol Education Abroad! This was the best life decision I have made so far. I learned so much about different cultures and was able to see so many new places! It was a great experience to meet new people, try new things, and overcome fears! I would love if this program had even more activities!

Miles

Experience of a Liftime

This trip has been the best time of my life. There are challenges in every situation but overall everything has been great. My family was amazing as were my friends. Granada is a beautiful and fun city and the local people here are extremely friendly. I recommend going to intercambios and meeting as many locals as possible. I wouldn´t change anything that I can think of and advise anybody who has this opportunity to take it.

Dani

What A Blessing

I am so thankful I had the courage to come to Spain to study for a semester!! Without SOL I would have been totally lost. SOL opened up my world to new customs, traditions, events, and so much more here in Granada. This has been the best experience I have ever been a part of and I can´t believe it has gone by so fast. The staff both in Spain and in the United States are super friendly and helpful. I couldn´t think of a better way to end my first year of college than studying in Granada!

Claire

If you are studying abroad in Spain, choose Granada and choose SOL

SOL provided me with help throughout my entire study abroad experience. From the application process to the departure process leaving Granada at the end of my semester, SOL directors and SOLmates were there for me. Before studying abroad I had never left the USA, but when boarding my flight to leave for Spain (without knowing very much Spanish) I didn´t feel nervous because I knew I had picked a good program. Throughout the semester SOL provided me with support, very fun activities, a wonderful host family, and my own little Spanish study abroad family.

Keep the group size small, and do meet and greets every time that new people come into the program.

Jacob
Celina, TX
Texas A&M University

Indulging in the true Spanish culture

Sol Education Abroad was the most incredible study abroad experience I could have ever imagined. The courses I took and the cultural activities included allowed me to build relationships with numerous fellow students. The culmination of these relationships was during the last weekend of the first month where I took a trip with about twenty students from my program to see the strait of Gibraltar while making stops at coastal beach towns. My favorite part of the program was the experiences I had with my host family. My host mom always made the best meals, and some of my favorite week nights were spent watching the European soccer tournament with my host father and brother. We cheered Spain on in victory and defeat, and on a couple occasions I got the opportunity to play soccer with my host brother and his friends. This trip was originally intended for me to complete the courses I needed for school, but by the end of the summer I had gained so much more than that!

If there is any way this program could be improved it might be through providing more information to students before they leave. I felt prepared when leaving to go to Spain, but would have liked to know more about the placement exam we would have to take at the University when getting there. However, other than that the entire program was incredibly professional, affordable, and an overall blast!

Gabrielle
Houston

Time with Sol

My time in Spain with Sol was amazing. I got to so things I never imagined doing in my life. I definelty came out of my shell while studying abroad with Sol Education. Before coming here I never wanted to speak Spanish with anyone, but as I started being here more I started to speak more Spanish, and be a little more comfortable speaking Spanish around others. Additionaly, I got to get to know Granada more because of SOL.

I think that this program is really great and needs little to no improvements.

Janis
Camp Hill PA
Shippensburg University

Non-traditional perspective

After a career in music education, I enrolled in a local university as a Spanish student, knowing even before courses started that studying abroad was a priority. There are many huge programs out there, but the fact that SOL is Spanish-focused and has a program in the culturally rich city of Granada caught my attention immediately. The experience has been all I hoped for--challenging academics, amazing excursions with the program and on my own, and continual opportunities to grow linguistically. My homestay was a good fit--an apartment in a private home, great hosts, and wonderful traditional food. The city is extremely walkable, safe and filled with great sites and free cultural events. The Sierra Nevadas are always in view and you can be at the beach (Mediterranean) in 2 hours by bus. The staff and location are an unbeatable combination.

I would not change anything and hope to return.

James
Lincoln, Nebraska

The streets of Granada

Walking through the streets of Granada I often got a overwhelming feeling of gratitude. When I walk I always challenge myself to look up. That´s when I get that feeling. I feel small, yet so important. This city has become one of my favorites in the world. This semester I have overcome a lot and I have this city to thank. I have learned about myself by learning about the Spanish culture. Granada will always be another home for me.

Brianna
Texarkana, Texas

Days in Spain

Before I studied abroad, I had so many expectations of what my experience would be like. Reflecting on the past four months, I realize that they are so different than what my actual experience was and that I have grown so much. There is this assumption about studying abroad that every day will be the best day you´ve ever had, filled with loads of fun, and you will be busy every second that you are there. But it´s a lot harder than that. There are days that you miss your family more than anything, days that you have serious ´´fomo´´ when you see all of your friends hanging out, and there are days that you don´t have a single thing to do. But there are also days that lead you to the most unimaginable places with friends that you share an impecable bond with. Maybe it´s on a beach at sunset, where you find a hidden cave that opens to the ocean, and your playing ¨Closer¨ on your miniture speaker, and dancing around with your friends. You´ll take a step back in the midst of it all, and be so overwhelmed with happiness that can never be equated with any other experience in your entire life. I have had some bad days, but I have also had the absolute best days of my life while studying here in Spain. I would give anything to go back to some of those moments.

Lesly
SAN Antonio
Texas State University

Sol in 60 seconds

This experience was once in a life time I not only had the opportunity to learn a new language but got the opportunity to meet people from all over the US and even the world. It was honestly the adventure of a lifetime. I made memories that I will hold in my heart forever, and I made friends that I will never forget. I was introduced to a new culture which af the beginning was a culture shock but then became my life. I lived and learned like a Spaniard for 4 months as I visited 7 countries, 15 cities and made a million friends. I recommend not only Granada but the SOL program to anyone looking to study abroad.

Candi
Nixa, Missouri

The intercambio

One thing they really incourage here in Spain and in the University is going to intercambios. Which is, either having someone, like a local, to speak Spanish with or going to one of the local bars and just talking to people. One of the girls in my class organized one and invited all of the students in or class to go. I don´t usually find myself in the bar scene and i had never really hung out with any of these students before so i was reluctant at first, but i thought whats the harm in going? So i went and i actually had one of the best night in Granada that i had had so far. Moral of the story is go to things that you wouldnt normally do. You will probably have fun and it is a good memory to look back at.

Colin
Louisville, Kentucky

Avioneta

I came here not knowing what to expect. With one week left here in Granada, I now know that choosing to study here in Granada was one of the best decisions that I have ever made!! The family that I live with have treated me and my roommate like their own. I know that I will continue to stay in touch with the friends I have made. I hopnestly can´t put in words what I have experienced here, but I would strongly reccommend for anyone to studty here in Granada with SOL. As far as my directors, Edu, German, and Miguel are the best people for their positions. Each has their own unique strengths, but because of all of their leadership, knowledge, and enthusiasm, I have learned so much and have had the time of life. THANK YOU!

Raneen
Jerusalem

Granada

Before leaving for Spain I spent days looking at pictures of the city and dreaming of what activites my days would be filled with upon arrivla. To say the least I was blown away. This tiny town has so much more to offer than just beautiful scences and cheap food and drinks. The history and the culture that has taken place here is unlike anything I have ever experienced. Every corner you turn down the narrow streets you can only help but wonder all of the amazing things that happened before our time. Like many others I chose this program because it was the only place that SOL offered in Spain, but I couldnt have been happier. Although I loved Barcelona, Madrid, and Seville I would not trade this town that I now can call home for anything. After a few weeks I knew my way around completely and was even able to give directions. After a few short month I was able to converse in almost an situation. I will always call this beautiful place home away from home. If you ever get a chance I highly recomend you consider Granada as your home away from home too. I promise you will not regret it.

The staff on location was not always the most helpful and I am not sure if things got lost in translation, but sometimes the emails seemed very negative when you did get a response. Also there are a lot of very stirct rules that I felt like other programs didnt have that may have made my expierence a little better. Overall the city was amazing and I am incredibly happy with how that turned out. There is so much more to Granada than I ever thought and I have loved being in the center of so much history and culture.

Courtney
Colleyville, Texas

studying abroad with SOL

Overall, my experience abroad was fantastic. It wasn´t because of my classes or particular program, it was due to the friends I made and the memories we shared. I will never again be able to travel Europe as cheaply and with such ease as I am able to now. Honestly the classes were not important. Experiencing a new culture and practicing the language should be one´s goals when taking classes abroad.

I think some of the students would be more comfortable living in a dorm style residence.

Sol Education Abroad (SOL) provides affordable study abroad opportunities in Costa Rica, Argentina, Spain, and Mexico. Sol Education Abroad prides itself in providing hands-on service to ensure an enriching experience abroad. It’s this unique approach that makes SOL both a leader and innovator in university