Sol Education Abroad - Study Abroad in Granada, Spain

Sol Education Abroad - Study Abroad in Granada, Spain

We're known for being the most personable program in Granada. Our students not only take classes at the University of Granada but they also are able to have volunteer opportunities and language exchanges. Our directors at Sol Education Abroad assist you in taking advantage of all the amazing activities Granada has to offer such as intramural sports, informal classes with locals, and many unique cultural activities. We have incredible host families and offer the most affordable priced Granada, Spain program.

Europe » Spain » Granada
Maymester
Winter
Spanish
Letters of Recommendation
The program cost includes tuition, housing (3 meals per day), weekend excursions (transportation, hotel, meals, entrance fees), weekday cultural activities, 24/7 director support, international medical insurance, laundry, and airport transfers. Scholarships are available on our website.

Ayesha
University of Houston

Enriching Once In a Lifetime Experience!

The classes were fun and I learned a good amount of Spanish and about the culture, but they were not very organized and there were some issues with one of the teachers who had a bad attitude and personal problems. The class was not structured very well because many teachers were going on vacation in August and the students were not told how they were being graded and what their exam was like. But, the main teacher I had was very fun and energetic and I enjoyed my time in class. We would get off topic a lot and I think they could work on the structure and organization, especially in the month of August where in Spain they go on vacation.

Our on site directors Edu and Herman were wonderful! Edu was particularly helpful and readily available. She was very sweet and caring and was always checking up with us!

I loved our host family! Everything was great about the family and the apartment aside for the fact that it was very very hot and the air conditioning in our room in particular was not working and the fan did not do much to combat the heat. That is the only thing that made our stay uncomfortable- everything else was great.

Improve on quality of classes - in terms of organization and structure especially for the three week program because it is very short and to get the most benefit from that short amount of time, the classes need to be structured very well which they were not because the teachers were going on vacation and the students were being tested on material they had not truly learned.

Benjamin

Study Abroad with SOL!

I participated in a five week program in Granada, Spain. The program was well organized and the directors were extremely helpful. They were ready to answer any questions and concerns at all hour of the day. The transition into this new culture and place was very easy because they provided me with the tools and information to help me succeed. The university was in the center of the city and was full of helpful and intelligent professors. I loved that my program was full of activities and excursions every single day. They weren't required, but I didn't miss a single activity because they were always fun and exciting. I also have to give them an A+ on helping me immerse myself into a new culture and learn a lot about the rich history of Granada.

I think that they did an amazing job! They could plan out their activities a little more strategically. Sometimes I felt like I had no time to rest because of how busy my schedule was, but then again I would rather have a program that offers too much than not enough!

Ana

Summer with SOL

I am about to complete the 9 week study abroad experience. At first, I was a little hesistant as to how it would be, but overall it has been great! The staff is very helpful and they are there to assist you when you need it. I got placed with an AMAZING family, which made the experience much more comfortable. The excursions they provide are knowledgeable and fun. I liked the program because they are so organized and are professional. The directors are also very friendly. I would totally recommend studying abroad with SOL!

I think it could be improved by including more excursions.

Claudia
Fort Worth, Texas

Studying with SOL

I have been here for the 9 week program and I can honestly say that I am glad that I came with SOL. In the beginning, I really wanted to go to Barcelona and I knew that SOL didn´t offer it, but compared to the other study programs that I visited with I felt like SOL was the one to go because they made me feel safe. I pictured myself with them because I knew if something bad were to happen with me they would be able to help me in all that they could. Compared to the other studying abroad programs they also were friendly whenever I met them and they didn´t mind when I kept calling and asking questions about the program. Overall I don´t regret coming with SOL. I feel that I was able to practice a lot on my Spanish and to enhance it. The cultural activities/excursions we took during the program have been amazing. In such a little time I have been able to learn and understand more about Spain as a country and Granada as a city. If I could do it over again and go to Barcelona I wouldn´t. I would choose to come to Granada with SOL because I feel as if SOL makes sure you get to see the hidden treasure that Granada holds within itself.

Isaac
Estados Unidos

Granada Study Abroad

This study abroad program was full of so much in depth cultural learning and fun. There was never any issues apparent throughout the two months that I was abroad and if there were they Sol staff would certainly be able to solve the problem quickly. With Sol education you are in good hands. In addition, the classes at CLM University of Granada were made enjoyable by the professors that choose to take time out of their summer to teach. They also teach in a method that is directed towards foreigners from any country so you do not feel incredibly out of place. Overall the experience was very enjoyable and cheaper than most.

Perhaps if you are doing more than one session in the summer, they could have more activities in the following sessions to meet the new people from the Sol program for that new session.

Joseph
Texas
Texas A&M University

Granada, the best city in Spain!

Granada is absolutely wonderful. It is a smaller city but there is plenty to do here. You don´t need ti ride a bus, take a cab or get on a subway everyday the entire city center is walkable. Sol Education Abroad is also fantastic they make you feel at home and have so many activities lined up for you so that way you can make the most of your time in Spain. They are always available to answer any questions you might have. The homestay is great and everybody has about a 15-20 minute walk to class. The walk is never boring and I suggest you walk like a Granadino, take your time and enjoy it. You have to study abroad with Sol in Granada, Spain you will not regret it!

Hannah

Summer Experience in Granada

My summer in Granada was one of the best summers of my life! The Sol staff here is amazing, they are always working to make sure we make the most of our experience and are always available to help with whatever we need, when we need it! Granada is by far one of the most beautiful and fun places I´ve ever visited in my life, so living here has been a dream. Sol makes sure that we experience Granada in the best way possible, so I´m so glad I chose this program. There´s not really anything I would change about my summer here, except maybe the fact that it was too short!

Sarah

My Granada Experience

I stayed two months in Granada with the program SOL and they have been two of the best months of my life. I was really worried about not feeling safe living in another country but I felt completely safe the whole time here. My host mom was especially kind and took care of me in every way that I needed. I definietly took advantage of the tapas and how easily accesible everything was by walking. It is a beautiful city with kind people!

Madison
Granada
Winona State University

BEST LIFE DECISION

I really enjoyed my experience in Granada, Spain with Sol Education Abroad! This was the best life decision I have made so far. I learned so much about different cultures and was able to see so many new places! It was a great experience to meet new people, try new things, and overcome fears! I would love if this program had even more activities!

Miles

Experience of a Liftime

This trip has been the best time of my life. There are challenges in every situation but overall everything has been great. My family was amazing as were my friends. Granada is a beautiful and fun city and the local people here are extremely friendly. I recommend going to intercambios and meeting as many locals as possible. I wouldn´t change anything that I can think of and advise anybody who has this opportunity to take it.

Dani

What A Blessing

I am so thankful I had the courage to come to Spain to study for a semester!! Without SOL I would have been totally lost. SOL opened up my world to new customs, traditions, events, and so much more here in Granada. This has been the best experience I have ever been a part of and I can´t believe it has gone by so fast. The staff both in Spain and in the United States are super friendly and helpful. I couldn´t think of a better way to end my first year of college than studying in Granada!

Claire
Washington, DC
The Catholic University of America

If you are studying abroad in Spain, choose Granada and choose SOL

SOL provided me with help throughout my entire study abroad experience. From the application process to the departure process leaving Granada at the end of my semester, SOL directors and SOLmates were there for me. Before studying abroad I had never left the USA, but when boarding my flight to leave for Spain (without knowing very much Spanish) I didn´t feel nervous because I knew I had picked a good program. Throughout the semester SOL provided me with support, very fun activities, a wonderful host family, and my own little Spanish study abroad family.

Keep the group size small, and do meet and greets every time that new people come into the program.

Jacob
Celina, TX
Texas A&M University

Indulging in the true Spanish culture

Sol Education Abroad was the most incredible study abroad experience I could have ever imagined. The courses I took and the cultural activities included allowed me to build relationships with numerous fellow students. The culmination of these relationships was during the last weekend of the first month where I took a trip with about twenty students from my program to see the strait of Gibraltar while making stops at coastal beach towns. My favorite part of the program was the experiences I had with my host family. My host mom always made the best meals, and some of my favorite week nights were spent watching the European soccer tournament with my host father and brother. We cheered Spain on in victory and defeat, and on a couple occasions I got the opportunity to play soccer with my host brother and his friends. This trip was originally intended for me to complete the courses I needed for school, but by the end of the summer I had gained so much more than that!

If there is any way this program could be improved it might be through providing more information to students before they leave. I felt prepared when leaving to go to Spain, but would have liked to know more about the placement exam we would have to take at the University when getting there. However, other than that the entire program was incredibly professional, affordable, and an overall blast!

Gabrielle
Houston

Time with Sol

My time in Spain with Sol was amazing. I got to so things I never imagined doing in my life. I definelty came out of my shell while studying abroad with Sol Education. Before coming here I never wanted to speak Spanish with anyone, but as I started being here more I started to speak more Spanish, and be a little more comfortable speaking Spanish around others. Additionaly, I got to get to know Granada more because of SOL.

I think that this program is really great and needs little to no improvements.

Janis
Camp Hill PA
Shippensburg University

Non-traditional perspective

After a career in music education, I enrolled in a local university as a Spanish student, knowing even before courses started that studying abroad was a priority. There are many huge programs out there, but the fact that SOL is Spanish-focused and has a program in the culturally rich city of Granada caught my attention immediately. The experience has been all I hoped for--challenging academics, amazing excursions with the program and on my own, and continual opportunities to grow linguistically. My homestay was a good fit--an apartment in a private home, great hosts, and wonderful traditional food. The city is extremely walkable, safe and filled with great sites and free cultural events. The Sierra Nevadas are always in view and you can be at the beach (Mediterranean) in 2 hours by bus. The staff and location are an unbeatable combination.

I would not change anything and hope to return.

James
Lincoln, Nebraska

The streets of Granada

Walking through the streets of Granada I often got a overwhelming feeling of gratitude. When I walk I always challenge myself to look up. That´s when I get that feeling. I feel small, yet so important. This city has become one of my favorites in the world. This semester I have overcome a lot and I have this city to thank. I have learned about myself by learning about the Spanish culture. Granada will always be another home for me.

Brianna
Texarkana, Texas

Days in Spain

Before I studied abroad, I had so many expectations of what my experience would be like. Reflecting on the past four months, I realize that they are so different than what my actual experience was and that I have grown so much. There is this assumption about studying abroad that every day will be the best day you´ve ever had, filled with loads of fun, and you will be busy every second that you are there. But it´s a lot harder than that. There are days that you miss your family more than anything, days that you have serious ´´fomo´´ when you see all of your friends hanging out, and there are days that you don´t have a single thing to do. But there are also days that lead you to the most unimaginable places with friends that you share an impecable bond with. Maybe it´s on a beach at sunset, where you find a hidden cave that opens to the ocean, and your playing ¨Closer¨ on your miniture speaker, and dancing around with your friends. You´ll take a step back in the midst of it all, and be so overwhelmed with happiness that can never be equated with any other experience in your entire life. I have had some bad days, but I have also had the absolute best days of my life while studying here in Spain. I would give anything to go back to some of those moments.

Lesly
SAN Antonio
Texas State University

Sol in 60 seconds

This experience was once in a life time I not only had the opportunity to learn a new language but got the opportunity to meet people from all over the US and even the world. It was honestly the adventure of a lifetime. I made memories that I will hold in my heart forever, and I made friends that I will never forget. I was introduced to a new culture which af the beginning was a culture shock but then became my life. I lived and learned like a Spaniard for 4 months as I visited 7 countries, 15 cities and made a million friends. I recommend not only Granada but the SOL program to anyone looking to study abroad.

Candi
Nixa, Missouri

The intercambio

One thing they really incourage here in Spain and in the University is going to intercambios. Which is, either having someone, like a local, to speak Spanish with or going to one of the local bars and just talking to people. One of the girls in my class organized one and invited all of the students in or class to go. I don´t usually find myself in the bar scene and i had never really hung out with any of these students before so i was reluctant at first, but i thought whats the harm in going? So i went and i actually had one of the best night in Granada that i had had so far. Moral of the story is go to things that you wouldnt normally do. You will probably have fun and it is a good memory to look back at.

Colin
Louisville, Kentucky

Avioneta

I came here not knowing what to expect. With one week left here in Granada, I now know that choosing to study here in Granada was one of the best decisions that I have ever made!! The family that I live with have treated me and my roommate like their own. I know that I will continue to stay in touch with the friends I have made. I hopnestly can´t put in words what I have experienced here, but I would strongly reccommend for anyone to studty here in Granada with SOL. As far as my directors, Edu, German, and Miguel are the best people for their positions. Each has their own unique strengths, but because of all of their leadership, knowledge, and enthusiasm, I have learned so much and have had the time of life. THANK YOU!

Raneen
Jerusalem

Granada

Before leaving for Spain I spent days looking at pictures of the city and dreaming of what activites my days would be filled with upon arrivla. To say the least I was blown away. This tiny town has so much more to offer than just beautiful scences and cheap food and drinks. The history and the culture that has taken place here is unlike anything I have ever experienced. Every corner you turn down the narrow streets you can only help but wonder all of the amazing things that happened before our time. Like many others I chose this program because it was the only place that SOL offered in Spain, but I couldnt have been happier. Although I loved Barcelona, Madrid, and Seville I would not trade this town that I now can call home for anything. After a few weeks I knew my way around completely and was even able to give directions. After a few short month I was able to converse in almost an situation. I will always call this beautiful place home away from home. If you ever get a chance I highly recomend you consider Granada as your home away from home too. I promise you will not regret it.

The staff on location was not always the most helpful and I am not sure if things got lost in translation, but sometimes the emails seemed very negative when you did get a response. Also there are a lot of very stirct rules that I felt like other programs didnt have that may have made my expierence a little better. Overall the city was amazing and I am incredibly happy with how that turned out. There is so much more to Granada than I ever thought and I have loved being in the center of so much history and culture.

Courtney
Colleyville, Texas

studying abroad with SOL

Overall, my experience abroad was fantastic. It wasn´t because of my classes or particular program, it was due to the friends I made and the memories we shared. I will never again be able to travel Europe as cheaply and with such ease as I am able to now. Honestly the classes were not important. Experiencing a new culture and practicing the language should be one´s goals when taking classes abroad.

I think some of the students would be more comfortable living in a dorm style residence.

Jerry
Mexico City, Mexico

Sevilla

We went to sevilla with our program durring the end our stay in Spain and it was alot of fun. WE alked around the accient city and saw tha arab quarter and the small shoped that give the city its older feel. We saw almost all of the major things in sevilla and it was beautiful. Also afer words the hotel we stayed at was beautiful and very comfortable. The next day on the way home we went to Cordoba and saw that city too! It was great because we saw one of the biggest mosques in spain and it was breath taking. If You decide to travel abroad with SOL you wont be dissapointed because you will see many beautiful cities in Spain and have a wonderful experience.

Matt
CA

Sol Granada Fall ´16

Everything while abroad went great. The only tough part was before - I didn´t know if I was on the right track while going through the procedure of enrolling. But everything on the program was great. Fun acitvities, good people, great place. Tapas are chill. Good culture. Wish there was more support for individual traveling by the program. I felt that at the beginning I wanted to travel on my own but didnt know how.

Michelle
Little Canada, Minnesota

My time in Spain

I think my best memories here are with the friends I made here. It´s really fun just going around town during the day or at night and exploring the city. Just walking through the city is an adventure in itself. My best memories here are going out at night and meeting the locals and really getting to know the city and the people in an authentic way. You really have to get out of your comfort zone and be open to new experiences and people to really enjoy your time here.

I honestly don´t think there´s much that could be improved in this program. I feel we had just enough program activitie so we had our own free time to do what we want and to travel europe during the week without missing any excursions.

Mariana
Houston

Granada 2016

My study abroad experience has been by far one of the best things that has happen to me. I have learned so much about the culture, history and social life of Spain. In my stay I felt like I was part of the community. This program allowed me to see the world with a different perspective and mind set. The different activities the program offered allowed me to explore the country in a fun and creative way.

The only thing I would like to see improve is adding more cities trips.

Ciara
Louisville, Kentucky
Eastern Kentucky University

Grandeur of Granada

When one thinks of studying abroad, things such as the chance to travel, immerse oneself in a new culture, and make lifelong friendships and memories come to mind. While all of this is true, those things are only the typical golden highlights of it.
SOL did so much more than that when it came to making my study abroad experience the best that it could be! The program directors did a fantastic job pairing roommates, not to mention the family placements. Moving to a new country is difficult enough without adding in the stress of having a roommate you don't get along with. With SOL, they carefully read your preferences and personal interests and match you with another student similar to yourself. My roommate and I were practically twins! My host family was welcoming and eager to introduce us to the Spanish ways of life, I never felt like an intruder in their home. And luckily, my host mom loved the kitchen which meant I was never short of a fantastic meal!
Apart from housing, SOL facilitates entertaining and culturally enriching activities to highlight the different things that Granada has to offer. A few of my cultural activities included a flamenco class, a visit to the Alhambra, Arabic baths, and horseback riding. Among the excursions we took were Sevilla, Cordoba, and Nerja. I loved the opportunity to be exposed to these three cities of Spain that I otherwise may not have seen. They were places filled with as much history as they were beauty.
Overall, SOL was very organized and did a great job in preparing events that truly engaged us in the cultural aspects that were most important. The on-site directors were always friendly and made sure we knew that they were available for anything we may need. If I were to study abroad again, I wouldn't want to go with anyone but SOL!

One thing I noticed wasn't what I expected it to be were the cultural activities. When I had read the brochure booklet before making a decision on what program to go abroad with, I specifically picked SOL because they advertised at least an activity each week - allowing good time for everyone in the program to get to know one another better. So I was surprised to find that we only did a handful for the semester. The other thing that I think would be beneficial to future students, especially those who can already speak Spanish, is a variance in class levels. I took the placement test and got placed at level 6 because of my grammar. I've grown up speaking the language, so level 6 was below my speaking level and all my classes were a bit easy for me. Except for grammar, in which there should have been a system to place me in a lower level. That was my first ever grammar class and I jumped in the middle to a class in which everyone had learned the basics long ago. It was a struggle and I had to work to not stay behind.

Tanya
Bowling Green
Western Kentucky University

The Best Experience Ever

Not many have been blessed with the opportunity to travel abroad. I have been very fortunate to travel to El Salvador, Guatemala, and thanks to SOL education abroad, Spain. My traveling purposes to Central America were for personal and vacation reasons, so when before my study abroad experience in Spain, I was somewhat nervous because I had never traveled alone and never studied anywhere else but home. How hard will the classes be? Will the teachers be very strict? Will my host family like me? Will I make friends? These questions and more are the questions that worry students, but SOL and its wonderful directors helped so much with making us feel comfortable. I will never stop saying such wonderful things about Sol!

I think the program could be improved by changing class times for students in the advanced Spanish classes. I know a lot of students had to rush home for lunch and then rush back to CLM for the 4:00 class.

Adrian
New York, New York
Wagner College

The Best Experience that I've ever had in my ENTIRE LIFE!

I studied abroad this past fall with Sol in Granada, Spain. It was my very first trip outside of the country and if I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing about it. I stayed with an amazing host family who welcomed my roommate (who is now one of my closest friends) and I as one of their very own children. Sol Education does an amazing job at everything they do from pairing students with great host families to helping students register for classes. It is also a very affordable program that has amazing locations, great schools, and very fun and educational excursions that I enjoyed so much!

I would have liked to go on more excursions out of the city.

Norma
Texas State University

Go abroad with SOL Education Abroad! It'll change your life if you let it!

I learned a lot about the history, literature, and culture of Spain. The course I took was great because it was a small class and I felt I got the attention I needed to learn and be successful in practicing my Spanish. I learned to step out of my comfort-zone and not be afraid to trying new things/foods I'm not used to. I loved staying with a host family because they really made me feel at home. The food was great, my host mom was a great cook and often asked what my favorite foods were so she could prepare them more often. I was sad to leave my host family because I had gotten to know them really well. I still keep in touch with my host mom. I also REALLY LOVED all of the cultural activities. The Arab baths, and Flamenco show were my absolute favorite. Horse-back riding, the trip to the Spanish mountains, and the food tasting were also really great! When we had free time on the weekends, we planned trips to Madrid, Sevilla, Cordoba, and Malaga, all great and beautiful cities in Spain. The director in Spain, Herman, was great because he helped us book the hotels, get our bus tickets, and gave us advice on how to travel on our own. He was always willing to work around our schedules and you could tell he really loved his job. Lastly, the US staff and directors, were great in helping prepare me for the trip. They were always ready to answer questions if I had them or give me advice on what to pack, etc. They made the process of studying abroad really easy and manageable and I am so thankful to the SOL staff for that. SOL was also very affordable in comparison to lot of the other programs I considered. Overall, I had a great experience with SOL. It was worth every penny and I will recommend this program to anyone who is considering studying abroad.

I would have liked to know what the average amount of money needed for trips outside are the program cost. I know this is not a part of the program, but I am sure a lot of students would like this.

Sol Education Abroad (SOL) provides affordable study abroad opportunities in Costa Rica, Argentina, Spain, and Mexico. Sol Education Abroad prides itself in providing hands-on service to ensure an enriching experience abroad. It’s this unique approach that makes SOL both a leader and innovator in university