API Study Abroad: American University of Sharjah, UAE

API Study Abroad: American University of Sharjah, UAE

Study abroad with Academic Programs International (API) in the United Arab Emirates. Sign up for direct enrollment into the American University of Sharjah (AUS), where courses are offered in a wide range of disciplines. Most courses at AUS are equal to 3 US credits for the semester, summer, and academic year Direct Enrollment programs.

The summer Intensive Arabic Language Program at the AUS is a 6-credit course aimed at developing elementary and beginning language skills through formal classroom instruction and daily conversation practice with a native speaker.

AUS is consciously based upon the American system of higher education. The beautiful campus has been described by many as the “jewel of Sharjah” and is itself a must-see destination for tourists and dignitaries alike. Thoroughly grounded in Arab culture, AUS is a leading comprehensive coeducational university in the Gulf, serving students from the region and around the world. API students have the option to study at the American University of Sharjah with our graduate program.

Asia » United Arab Emirates » Sharjah
Resume

Amale
Tiverton

API in the UAE

The API program adviser, Hong, made our experience great in the UAE.
she took us to many high-life touristic events we wouldn't go to ourselves such as Burj Khalifa, Atlantis, Qatar, Mussandam, Desert Safari, cooking class in Duabi, and our amazing farewell dinner on the Bateau Dubai, etc. all included in the program. The International office also provides an amazing orientation week to get you familiar of Dubai and Sharjah as well as weekly events to somewhere in the UAE and cultural events included in the program. The international office will give you the best social experience and this is all included with the program! Housing compared to the U.S is great, although they do have curfews and rules but it is best for everyone's safety.
In the UAE you will never doubt your safety for a second, compared to other countries it's very safe and you can go anywhere not feeling afraid.
Hong will always be there for you and she plans the BEST events and gives students the high life experience. You can count on her if you need anything and she is fun to be with!
The university provides many transportation services for students and most of the things are available on campus on 5 min away from campus, dinning is easy, there are option on campus and off campus that delivers to dorms.

No need!

Response from API

Thank you for this review! So happy to hear you had a great experience in Sharjah!

Mariel
El Paso, Texas.
University of Texas- El Paso

Arabian Days

Living in a Muslim country has been the most wonderful learning experience in my life. Traditions, culture, believes and even the financial system were different to the western world, which made my experience unique and exceptional. Every day I listened to the 5-preayer call wherever I was in the city or campus. I witnessed spectacular landscaping in the UAE, caravans of camels, the contrast of beach and desert, the most beautiful full moon I have ever seen, and extraordinary sunsets. I had the fortune to attend a spectacular Emirati wedding. I also witnessed several Guinness records in one single city, Dubai; such as, the biggest mall, the tallest building, the largest hotel, the fastest roller coaster, the largest fireworks display, the “palm islands” which are consider to be the 8th wonder of the world and the world’s first seven star hotel. As an International Business major this has been the best experience I could have embraced in. My program supported me to get an internship. Living in a cosmopolitan city, such as Dubai, showed me that understanding the global world is crucial to succeed in my career.

Meals were not included in the fees during the trips.

Allilb
Fort Collins, CO
Colorado State University

Study Abroad at The American University of Sharjah with API

After figuring out that I wanted to study abroad in the Middle East, I came across the API program at the American University of Sharjah and I knew it was the perfect program for me. I wanted to learn more about the culture, pick up on some Arabic and have an experience that I wouldn't be able to have other than in the Middle East. Not only was the UAE and the people here welcoming, the campus and the staff were exceptional. The campus is beautiful, clean and well maintained. I felt very safe and comfortable all the time while on campus and the exchange office was always available if I ever had any questions or concerns. Classes were not any different than at home, but it was great to hear different view points on topics from the local students. The students are very welcoming. There are always events every week that are run by student clubs on campus that I enjoyed going to.

The application process for API was straight forward and the API advisers were always helpful and answered questions quickly. They offered great advice on what to expect when coming to the UAE and also offered a wonderful pre-departure packet with useful information on how to adapt to the customs here.

There were many excursions that API provided which was a great way to see other Emirates and also the nearby country, Qatar. Some were very cultural which was always a nice learning experience, but also some were fun like visiting tourist sights like Ski Dubai or going to the top of the Burj Khalifa. Overall, the excursions were always a great way to bond with the API students and the resident director.

Being a 20 year old female traveling to the Middle East, I was a bit hesitant to take the journey. API offered me great advice about how to dress and how to act. Respecting the culture is very important, therefore, you need to dress appropriately. You don't have to be covered from head to toe, but dressing modest is a must. Pants below the knees and sleeves that cover the shoulders are what I usually wore. Light sweaters and scarves are also great because the building are usually pretty cold because the air conditioner. I never felt unsafe on campus or while I was out in the cities.

If you're looking to experience a different culture and are willing to adapt to new norms, then I highly recommend studying at the American University of Sharjah with Academic Programs International. The campus is just about 20 minutes from Dubai and is accessible by taxi or buses run by the university. AUS gives you the opportunity to learn a lot about the Middle East and take a wide range of classes. You will become a better communicator and also learn how to truly manage your time and money. Overall, this particular API program is exceptionally organized and extremely beneficial to a student during their college career.

The mission of API is to transform lives by providing enriching academic and cross-cultural experiences that foster increased self-knowledge, cultural sensitivity and understanding of the global nature of our contemporary world.

*The former API Cultural Embrace and Aspire by API listings are now merged under