Canadian Connection - English Teaching Jobs in Korea

Canadian Connection - English Teaching Jobs in Korea

Take that first step towards a great adventure and apply with Canadian Connection. We help ESL teachers find excellent teaching opportunities in private and public schools throughout South Korea. Free housing and airfare provided. We assist you every step of the way from your interview to your arrival in Korea. We also offer continued support during your year abroad.

Canadian Connection will do the following: Match applicants with an appropriate school, Negotiate your contract, Collect documents and process working visa, Make all travel arrangements, Supply teachers with travel kit which includes maps, travel guide, cultural insights book, and an introduction to the Korean language brochure, Put teachers in contact with current/former teachers, Act as ongoing liaison between the school and the teacher.

Asia » South Korea
1 Year+
Salary / Benefits
The current salary range for public school positions is 1,800,000-2,400,000 Korean Won per month.
Mokpo

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Peach
Moline

I am in Korea now!

Hello,

I would like to share my experience with Canadian Connection. I applied with C.C. but I didn't arrive in Korea through the agency. The initial communication with the agency was quick and helpful. I sent my application (plus documents) and just needed to wait to hear back about the teaching position. However, I didn't hear back even a month before the departure. I wrote several emails, made phone calls, and left messages with the secretary (not sure if she's still there - very sweet lady). I did find out that I wasn't selected for the Jeolla position. The coordinator mentioned a different program to apply to. So, I applied again with C.C. for the EPIK program. The communication and results were the same as before.

Sidenote: When I applied through the agency, EPIK requested that all questions be sent to the agency instead of them.

I decided to apply to the teaching program in Korea directly without an agency. The application process, email responses, interview, and position update, took less than a month.

Yes, I know C.C. needed time to send the documents to the program. I just wish the the agency could have been more prompted/transparent with my updates... even if I wasn't selected from the beginning.

C.C. was very helpful with the organization of the application. Their booklet of how to apply was well put together and easy to follow. However, if you have all of your materials then applying directly to the teaching program might be a quicker option.

All the best!
Fighting 화이팅!

Jenny
Inje, Gangwon-do, South Korea
University of Western Ontario

Canadian Connection is a good connection to have

I only applied with Canadian Connection so I can't make any comparisons between companies, but they were great during the application process. They emailed me promptly, set up interviews within the times that were given to me, and organized all my documents and sent them to Korea. There is no way I would have survived that documentation experience on my own. I had a little bit of a surprise when I applied to Seoul and ended up in Gangwon-do province (which apparently is pretty common, seeing as all my friends applied to other places, too). BUT, I think it's a blessing in disguise that I was placed here because, although I'm in the middle of nowhere (LITERALLY), I live in a building with two other foreigners, my school is amazing, my co teacher is EPIC and the students are brilliant and adorable. My apartment looks onto the mountain and fields and if I want, I could be in Seoul within 2 hours of a bus ride. Overall, the experience has been wonderful and I would highly recommend Canadian Connection to start off this amazing journey.

Janelle
Wisconsin

Professional and helpful

I used Canadian Connection when I applied for the EPIK program almost 4 years ago. They were very helpful and helped me navigate the application process with ease. I didn't feel so stressed once I was accepted either because they told me everything I needed. I'd use them again if I go back overseas.

jade
Australia

Extremely disappointed

Company seemed great at first. Responded promptly to emails and so on. Had the screening interview and I was told I had scored really well and that I would be sent a lost of schools with Jobs matching my criteria in maximum 4 days. It's been over 2 months now. I sent them an email when I had an apostil on my criminal check about a week after my interview. .. no reply. After two months of nothing I sent another email asking if they were still assisting me at all. No reply (as expected). I would not recommend this company. Gp with adventure teaching instead who have been a million times better.

Response from Canadian Connection

Hello Jade,

Thanks for your feedback and we're sorry to hear you've had a poor experience with Canadian Connection.

We're having a little trouble tracking down your specific case with the information listed so I'd like to welcome you to contact us directly via phone (416-949-2169) or skype (canconx) and we can locate your application record and get to the bottom of our error.

I can say that we typically don't reveal interview results/scores during the actual interview. Our usual process is to follow up with the applicant within a week and, if they pass our interview, we then begin discussing potential options at that time. It looks like their may have been some miscommunication on our part, so we'll review this process with our interview team to make sure this is made clear to applicants in the future.

Again, We're truly sorry your experience with our company was not a positive one and we'll endeavour to make sure this doesn't happen again moving forward.

Best of luck with your new position and we hope you have a wonderful time in Korea.

Shane Finnie,
Canadian Connection

Jeolla
Mokpo, South Korea
Lakehead University

KOREA: DO IT!

I am a qualified English teacher, who is currently completing my 4th and final year. Canadian Connection caters to jobs in Jeollanamdo, which is in the far south of South Korea. Jeollanamdo is known for its friendly people and its beautiful scenery. It is very clean, very safe and it is relatively cheap to live here, as compared to North America.

Your will be responsible for assisting Korean English teachers with the curriculum. It is definitely not necessary to be a 'qualified teacher.' In fact, many of the best ESL teachers are not; they are, however innovative, passionate and creative! You are not responsible for marking or report cards. Your soul responsibility is 'conversational English' and getting the students more comfortable with the language via games, activities, worksheets, role-plays, etc.

I HIGHLY recommend living and working in South Korea and I HIGHLY recommend Canadian Connection! It is a great recruitment company that offers its teachers a lot of support and educational workshops.

Katwood10
Whitworth University

Canadian Connection for the Win!

I would highly recommend Canadian Connection as a recruiting agency to go to Korea. They have been in the business for years so they know the ins and outs of legal paperwork, culture and have the experience to back it up! They are incredibly professional, willing to offer advice and treat each person like an individual. Every step of the process, they updated me, gave me advice and helped me make sure that every detail was taken care of. They helped me figure out what city to go to, gave me a guide to life in Korea and even booked my plane ticket. Plus, they were there to meet me at the airport when I arrived in Incheon. I am so happy that I worked with them, because I was truly prepared to come to Korea. I couldn't have asked for a better experience, and have been living happily in Korea for over 19 months now! I have recommended and will continue to recommend Canadian Connection to anyone interested in teaching in Korea!

j10c
Toronto, Canada

Start working abroad with Canadian Connection

From the very beginning (at the start of my application and interview process) Canadian Connection was always there to bridge my way between South Korea and Canada. The staff of Canadian Connection were well organized and easily approachable. They provided me with personal guidance along the way and always kept me promptly informed. Upon arriving in Korea, a staff member picked me up and drove me to the orientation.
I have now been working in South Korea for nearly 2 years and even during these times, Canadian Connection will from time to time check in via email.
Before the board of education changed the rules, Canadian Connection was the dominant recruiter for foreign teachers. I can see why and they really held up their reputation.

Erik
Whitehorse, Yukon
Dalhousie University

Best program

I've already told many friends about Canadian Connection. Amazing program, nice staff, great benefits! I am never bored. I have enough left over at the end of the month to travel and to send money home. I am going to renew my contract on if I can go through this program.

Christopher
Reside in Colchester, Essex, England. Currently living in Suncheon, South Korea.
University of Essex

An Incredible Learning Experience

I have had previous experience of Korea, teaching in private schools, but this year was my first year teaching in a public school and I wasn't disappointed. Any worries I had about making new friends were quickly dispelled as the orientation period quickly got underway upon arrival. All of the teachers introduced themselves and after two weeks of training and advice, before our teaching posts actually started, strong bonds and friendships were already forged. During the orientation period there was a gradual introduction towards the food, culture and traditions of Korea. I already found the food delicious, and was used to some of the cultural differences that can be experienced, but it was fun to see the newbies reactions to all that was going on. Generally, this was one of the great strengths of the program, immediately you could form a network of friends, some new to Korea and some with prior experience and everyone helped each other. The staff in Canada and Korea are very helpful, and they did as much as they could to make us all feel right at home, and avoid any major culture shocks, which is all too possible in a land very different from our own.

I had suggested to Canadian Connection that I would be a bit more comfortable with older students and they duly obliged by setting me up in an all boys high school. Let me make at least one thing perfectly clear to anyone who reads this review, I love teaching the students here. I am now ten months into my contract and I have developed a real rapport with them. This doesn't mean to say that teaching here is easy; in fact, one of the really rewarding things is that it is challenging. The student’s level is probably not what I expected it to be when I arrived, and I had up to 40, sleep deprived 16-18 year old boys in every class. Motivating them was not a simple matter. The school, however, gave me a free reign to use any ideas I had at my disposal to encourage them to participate and learn English. Planning an interesting lesson and good behavioral management were essential, as the students could have easily made my life very difficult indeed.

In my case, with previous experience of Korea and my general personality, the very hands-off approach of my school suited me very well. It may not have been everybody's cup of tea, though, as there was a general lack of support by the school and I was quite often left in the dark about upcoming events. Although all my co-workers at the school were very friendly, not much interest was taken in my role at the school and I was left to just get on with it. I thrived with this independence, however, and they really did appreciate that I didn't ask for too much help from them.

The schools supplies and equipment were perfectly adequate, and they pretty much had whatever I needed for the lessons. Each classroom was equipped with a computer linked to a widescreen television and the internet, which I used for PowerPoint presentations, videos, and music in my lessons. The only thing that frustrated me was that because of their lack of input and support they often forgot to tell me when computers or TVs in certain rooms were not working or if the internet was offline and this ruined a few classes every now and then.

Working in the school was such a wonderful way of experiencing the culture. Co-workers and students were always genuinely interested in me and wanted to show me their culture. Being at the school gave me plenty of opportunities to interact with Korean people, and experience a side of Korea that a tourist never could. The staff at the school were so friendly and willing to talk to me and make me feel part of the school, despite not really having a clue what was going on in my classes. All they knew was that the students enjoyed my classes, and that was good enough for them.

Korea, generally is a great place to teach English. It is a modern, convenient, and a rich nation very much like where we have all come from, so it is possible to relax and feel at home and have most of the usual creature comforts. It is also one of the safest places I have ever traveled to and I have not once felt uncomfortable or threatened. In fact quite the opposite, as often Koreans can feel a little threatened by Western foreigners and can be a little stand-offish sometimes as a result. There is a genuine and rather large cultural difference between us, though, and the behaviors and practices that result from this can sometimes be amusing, strange, and maybe even a little frustrating, but they are never dull. Living here in Korea has been a life changing experience for me and has truly broadened my horizons in life. I plan to spend one more year teaching in the same school in Korea by extending my contract and then to train to teach science when I go back home to England in August 2013. Teaching in Korea has really given me the confidence and drive to be a teacher in my own country. I feel proud of what I have achieved on this program so far and there is more to come.

I would whole-heartedly recommend this program to anyone, especially those that have recently left university, as it is real life experience. And in the current economic climate, where jobs are hard to come by, this is an excellent way to earn good money whilst travelling and learning all about a culture very different to our own. I think it gives a fantastically different perspective on life, living in Korea, without being overly uncomfortable or harsh regarding the standard of living. Any time spent living and working in Korea will be time well spent.

Vikescantleave
Hwasun South Korea
University College Cork

Awesome company

Working with Canadian Connection was amazing. Everything is set up for you and when the bumps in the road come they are there to help you work through them. Then getting here everything was laid out so making the transition was effortless.
The working conditions are awesome. Being able to talk with people that worked with other recruiters and the problems that they are running into is something that I never have to think about.
Great experience, and a great company to come through.

punkyb662
Hwasun, South Korea or Minneapolis Minnesota
University College Cork

Have recommended and will continue to do so

I absolutely have loved working with Canadian Connections. They were incredible from the get-go.From even before we accepted our positions they were helpful in placing us ( my fiance and I)in the same city. They provided guidance throughout the paperwork process.
They provided us with an excellent orientation where we were able to meet with other to be foreign English teachers in our area who are a vital asset in living abroad.

The biggest challenge is not the culture itself, that is a beautiful thing, but realizing how to work in a different culture and let down your guard and be open to new ideas and thought processes.As with any job you are going to have co workers you love and some that you don't.
I definitively encourage reading up on the Confusion culture as it will help to be aware of some of the culture norms that come with that.
The teaching itself is the best part of living here! The kids are so wonderful and so fun. They are lively and for the most part adore having a foreign teacher.
I have highly recommended Canadian Connections to multiple friends and I will continue to do so. Awesome company who helps ease the transition and equips you well for teaching.

EnglishTeacher
Jeollanam-do

Teach in Korea with Canadian Connection!

I highly recommend using Canadian Connection to begin your journey abroad. My year in Korea has been great, and I can thank Canadian Connection for that. They are helpful throughout the whole process, prepare you, and aid you in document collection.

Go abroad with Canadian Connection --you won't regret it!

OompaRadar

CanConx

Loved everything about CanConx. They were beyond helpful with everything. People in my orientation who applied through other recruiters were shocked at how much information CanConx had provided us before taking off for Korea. Highly recommended!

ale_cat
University of Toronto

Canadian Connection is great!

I would recommend Canadian Connection to anyone wanting to teach English in Korea. They placed me with the Incheon Metropolitan Office of Education (Public School system) in Incheon - right next to Seoul.

They were very supportive and helpful. I had no problem getting my papers ready (visa, passport, etc.); their instructions are quite detailed. I applied for a job through them at the end of December and was in Incheon by the end of February. The Canadian Connection team is very friendly and prompt - they are always there to lend a hand.

They also provided us with an Orientation before leaving the country, so we knew what to expect; at Orientation I met a few people traveling with me to Incheon so I didn't feel lost on the way over (a couple of these have become my best friends). The orientation book we were given also had very detailed information on what to expect in terms of housing, bills, food, travel, how to use a washing machine (the instructions here are in Korean!), etc. VERY HELPFUL!

Overall - a great experience.

c.liow
Queen's University

Very Supportive Staff

I felt extremely prepared in terms of things to expect; differences in culture; teaching methods; the co-teachers; apartments; and general things about Korea. During orientation, English teachers from other companies seemed less informed about different aspects about teaching in South Korea.

The staff were amazing throughout the course of my application from when I started until I started teaching. They were very thorough with the entire process, helping me complete my documents, giving instructions for the day of travel, and setting us up with the Orientation in Korea.

estieler88
Gwangju, South Korea
University of Waterloo

Excellent Experience for a First-time Teacher

As someone who had very little experience with travelling and living away from home, going to Korea through Canadian Connection was a very good decision. They made the process of applying super easy, where they took care of all the paperwork and direct communication with employers. The job they offered me was with a reputable employer, which I later found to be legitimate, trusting, and credible. I have heard so many horror stories before of people winding up with bad employers, but I have been with this current job for 9 months so far and have had nothing but positive experiences.

I went though the Jeollanamdo Language Program, which offered me a job in a small town in the southern part of South Korea. I was given an extensive 10-day orientation at a hotel (all expenses paid) where I met many friends, was introduced to Korea and Korean culture, and learned more about what to expect on the job. Many of the friends I met at this orientation still remain my close friends today, and we often hang out on weekends to explore the area, travel, or take Korean language courses. My teaching job is quite pleasant and my rent-free apartment is nice to have as I can turn it into my own private personalized space.

Some highlights so far include: taking Korean classes, meeting new people through the active foreigner community in Jeollanamdo, going to various events hosted by the foreigner community, trying new foods at Korean restaurants, travelling to Thailand and Malaysia on my paid vacation dates, checking out temples and festivals in the area, paying off my student loans, and gaining a once-in-a-lifetime experience of living and working with another culture.

Some difficulties I encountered included homesickness, culture shock, and the challenges associated with living on your own for the first time. Homesickness and culture shock happens to everyone, but it really helps if you get out, meet people, and keep busy!

Overall, I would recommend anyone to do this, especially if you want an international experience.

Lu
Seoul, South Korea

A Sense of Community with Canadian Connection - ESL in Korea

I am really grateful to the staff at Canadian Connection for all of their support. I love life in Korea and I am currently teaching my second year in a middle school (located in Seoul). Given the opportunity, I will continue to build a life in Korea.

I think that if I was in Canada and had to prepare for Korea all over again, I would have packed differently. Canadian Connection does give you an extensive and very helpful list of things that you should pack, however, I realize that there were many things I could have left behind. For example, I spent quite a bit of money and packed quite a few toiletries and medicines... but I live in Seoul where everything is accessible and available. I also bought a new pair of glasses in Canada, which was another big expense, only to find that glasses are EXTREMELY CHEAP in Korea.

I love my community and the people here are great. The Korean education system is different from Canada, so it will be an adjustment, however, if you have an open mind and are flexible you will be successful!

I do have to say that teaching ESL is not quite the satisfying job that I thought it would be. Even though your co-teachers might be very supportive, the students have a tendency to really push their boundaries with a Native English Teacher. Classroom management is definitely the biggest challenge in the public school system. This is the hardest part for me- I have my Bachelor of Education in Canada and teaching ESL is not the same as teaching curriculum. I find that, although the students are extremely friendly and really love you as a teacher, it is hard to connect with them on a personal level. You will hear a lot of "I'm fine thank you, and you".... and then that's the extent of the conversation :) (it's pretty endearing actually).

As for professional development.... I realize that ESL as a life long career is not the best match for me. I would not consider getting a Master's degree in ESL. Personally, I would rather teach subject curriculum in my first language so I am researching job opportunities in International Schools. I also speak French so I am considering teaching ESL in a French speaking country so that I may communicate a little better with the students. Classroom management and personal, more intimate conversations with students would be easier if I had a working knowledge of THEIR first language. (I do know some Korean, but it is very limited)

Obviously there are many unexpected challenges that arise- that is the nature of teaching! I would say the biggest piece of advice for new teachers is to have a healthy lifestyle outside of teaching. GO OUTSIDE and enjoy this beautiful country! Don't spend all your time on the computer when you go home at the end of the day. Don't just spend all of your time with other Native English teachers- make Korean friends! Also, I highly suggest that (if you are in a large city like Seoul or Busan) you leave the city at least once a month and travel around the countryside.

The local community is quite welcoming. Respect is reciprocal- give it to get it! However, keep in mind that it is a metropolitan city with a huge and dense population, so there are bound to be some rude people. Try not to take it personally!

I honestly have to say that connecting with Canadian Connection and taking that first step towards teaching in Korea has been the best decision that I have ever made. Thanks to everyone!

kneekick
Gwangyang, South Korea
University of Alberta

Canadian Connection- English Teaching Jobs in Korea

Canadian Connection is the best recruiting company I have ever used. Shane and his staff answer any enquiries an applicant may have promptly and professionally. They provide the applicant with a detailed list of the application and VISA process including checklists to make sure you've got it all. They're also very upfront with what the new teacher is going to experience, they want us to be successful, so the teacher has a realistic expectation of what to expect in Korea. A Canadian Connection staff member travels to Korea with us and is available at orientation if we have any issues. Shane travelled with us to our first orientation and when we used his company again 3 years later, Katie came with us. Both were AWESOME people! This is an amazing recruiting company and if you're coming to Korea, they're the people you need.

covegm0630
Gwangju, South Korea
University of Wisconsin- Madison

The Best Decision of my Life

I am so happy I made the decision to sign up for a teaching position with Canadian Connection! Between the application and visa process, the orientation, the consistent update emails and alerts, Canadian Connection makes sure you are well taken care of!

The orientation helped make the transition to Korea easier, and it provided everyone with a strong, solid support system of friends to turn to - you all share the experience together!

Shane and the rest of the Canadian Connection staff personally make sure you are settled and they will help you with any problems you may have. I highly, highly recommend this reliable and legitimate program if you want to become a teacher in South Korea!

Jack
Haenam, Jeollanamdo, South Korea
Texas A&M University

Opportunity of the Decade

After setting my heart on teaching overseas, I did a vast amount of research on ideal places to go, ultimately concluding that South Korea was the best fit for me. My criteria were salary, safety, comfort, teaching opportunity (teaching is my occupation), cost of living, cultural experiences, and vacation/opportunity to travel. No other country offers these to the degree that South Korea does. Canadian Connection did an amazing job of preparing me for my employment abroad, from walking me through the necessary steps to get my visa and other documents, to answering random questions I had about my upcoming culture and experience. They made themselves available through email, skype, and phone calls. The Korean culture is rapidly changing from a traditional Confucian and Buddhist base to a more globalized society, and my placement in a rural area offered plenty of both. The students' English abilities and behaviors were very diverse, however if you come with the right attitude and a love for teaching and experiencing new things then you will fit right in to their hospitable culture. The food is great, the vacation is fantastic (especially considering Korea's geographic location), and the Korean and foreign communities alike are extremely inviting and loving. An absolutely amazing opportunity for anyone in any walk of life, and Canadian Connection is an amazing, personalized recruitment agency to go through.

uwogirl2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
University of Western Ontario

Positive Experience with Canadian Connection!

I had a wonderful experience with Canadian Connection. The staff (Shane and Michael) were always available via telephone or email whenever I had any questions or concerns; before I came to Korea and while I was in Korea. The first couple of days here are a big adjustment, and it was a comfort to have one of their staff here (Katie!). They do their absolute best to make sure that you will receive as positive an experience as possible, by preparing an information package about what to expect in Korea (although nothing will really prepare you for the hands on experience! It was nice to have a guideline). Because they are a smaller recruiter, I felt like they really cared about their teachers and the quality of their teachers that they accept.

Camillac
South Korea
Adams State College

Canadian Connections made Change easy peazzzy

I am a person who hates change and am very attached to my family and comfort zone. Taking a leap and coming to Korea was a flood of emotions...excitement, fear, anticipation, hesitation, just to name a few. I truly feel that had it not been for Canadian Connections, my transition would not have been nearly as smooth and I may have already turned around and gone home. They made sure I was prepared for everything. They were always available for questions and were excellent at keeping in touch on a daily basis for any type of question. This is an excellent agency and would recommend it to anyone that is taking a risk and a leap in life. Canadian Connections is the way to go!

yogimeg55
Gwangju City, South Korea

Beautiful Korean Culture Shock

Upon entering Korea, I was surprisingly calm and unphased by the culture that was booming around me--although that may have been due to severe jet lag. The aspect of culture shock that hit me first was the amount of people everywhere, as well as the speed at which they moved! I constantly felt as though I was either going to run into someone, or be trampled by the seemingly endless amounts of people streaming through the shinay (downtown Gwangju. Most of the culture shock was abated when I got to the beautiful Shin Yang Park Hotel--the home of our 10 -day orientation through the Jeollanamdo Language Program. The facility was luxurious and comfortable to me. It was also set at the base of the impressive Muedungson Mountain, which offers many hiking trails in the surrounding area. The Orientation was very informative and helpful to me. There was a varied amount of workshops spaning from "Korean Culture" to "Traditional Korean Music" to "Games!" The orientation also offered a field trip to a museum in Mokpo and an evening trip to a baseball game, where we feasted on fried chicken and pizza amongst the exhuberant and dedicated Korean fans. The orientation was very thorough and helpful, but seemed to be quite long. By the eighth day I felt ready to head out on my own and set up my apartment. I was also anxious to see my school, meet my co-teacher and the rest of the staff. The final day came and we were let loose. My co-teacher was very nice and helpful to me, even though he did not speak English very well. He took me to the Immigration Office to register for my A.R.C., and then took me to visit the school. I was welcomed very graciously and warmly. I immediately met the principal, vice principal and head teacher, which was stressful but successful too! I feel as though I represented myself well, even though I could barely communicate with the principal due to language barriers. That day felt like a whirlwind to me, which ended with a nice western dinner at T.G.I.Fridays at the Gwangju Bus Terminal. I settled in for the night at my apartment wrapped in a new blanket and sheet provided by my school. I felt strangly comfortable, and blissfully unaware of what was to come in the next several months. I am trying to be as open to new experiences as I can, while maintaining a strong sense of self in the process. I know there will be hard times, and I have already experienced many of those, but I know they will pass in time. The hard times also make the good times that much better! I want to become a stronger person--a more assertive person. I also want to be a good teacher. I hope to do my very best and be open to improvement.

iLoveKorea
Brisbane
University of Queensland

Canadian Connections made Change easy peazzzy

Namarie
Mokpo, South Korea
University of British Columbia

Great experience...

My experience living and working in South Korea has been tremendous. The staff at Canadian Connections are professional and supportive and they made the transition to Korea as easy as possible. My job responsibilities were very reasonable and the wages and benefits are excellent. The foreigner community here is very social, and there are no shortages of things to do or get involved in. My biggest job challenges were: motivating middle schoolers with out incentives like marks or tests and managing the classroom with significant language barriers. The biggest day to day challenge is sometimes just being different. The culture is extremely heterogeneous and foreigners are so conspicuous. Sometimes I miss just being one of the crowd. That said, most people I've met are very warm, welcoming and eager to share Korean culture. I would definitely recommend this program and Canadian Connections to anyone who likes and cares about kids, who is open to new experiences and wants to travel around S.E Asia. I have been here for 2 years and have visited 11 countries during my vacation time!

Jan12
Jeollanamdo, South Korea

An overall amazing 2 years.

I've been teaching in rural South Korea for 2 years now. I'm teaching in an all-girls middle school, and have thoroughly enjoyed it! Everyone's situation is different, but for the most part teachers have great support from the program and co-workers, students who completely worship you, and a huge community of other foreign teachers who you will meet and become good friends with. Living in South Korea is relatively easy and comfortable, it has all of the 1st world ammentities with the rest of Asia at your doorstep for cheap traveling and a lot of new places to see and explore.

megan.c
Hwasun, Jeollanamdo, South Korea
McMaster University

My job hardly feels like work

I am about to begin the ninth month of my year long contract in Korea. This experience has been more than I thought it could be. Being recruited through Canadian Connection gave me confidence in the fact that my contract and living situations would be looked after and that I had the support of many people if anything (positive or negative) were to happen. I currently teach in two different elementary schools and a high school. While this situation is slightly more stressful than the average, I always feel as though I am well taken care of in terms of resources.
I was warned before I came to Korea that culturally many things would be different. To be honest, almost everything is different than in my home city in southern Ontario, Canada. Sometimes that can lead to frustrations, i.e., people talking around you instead of to you or hearing comments about your physical appearance, but the majority of time the cultural differences have been a learning experience for me and the foreigner community gets together to laugh it off.
I live in a mid-sized town in the southern province of Jeollanamdo. My apartment is the perfect size for myself and the puppy that I adopted from a shelter here. I have seen apartments of various sizes but nothing I couldn't live in, or of which I am extremely jealous. As per Canadian Connection's contract, my school takes care of my apartment rent and I am responsible for my bills. Including gas, hydro, cable, internet, my smart phone and a building maintenance fee, I pay a little over $150 a month in bills. The rest of my salary is mine to spend or save! My schools are all a bus ride away. I am thankful for the bus experience every time I make plans with friends to meet somewhere or go out.
The two best things about my job are the kids and the places I have been able to visit. Foreigners are a kind of celebrity in Korea and everyone still shows the utmost interest in me even eight months later. I say "hello" about one hundred times a day. In the evenings and on the weekends I travel a lot. There are so many beautiful places to see in this province. The week-long orientation that I attended with other Canadian Connection recruits allowed me to make many new friends, who then went all over the province to teach. Now when I travel, there is usually someone in each city that I know to visit. Transportation is so accessible here that I can easily make a day trip to almost anywhere in the country without issue. During my vacation time I have already been able to visit Thailand and Japan.
I feel like a year is not enough to experience everything here so I have decided to renew my contract for another year. I will transfer schools and cities (always looking for new experiences) but I will stay in Jeollanamdo.

Rina
York University

Teaching English in South Korea

Teaching English in Korea is an experience I would recommend to anyone who is open-minded, motivated, and looking for a little adventure and foreign experience. Coming here through Canadian Connection was an easy, smooth process throughout which I received guidance at every step. Even with careful research and preparation ahead of time, it is impossible to really know what to expect; having friendly, experienced people to give you small tips and anecdotes from their own stay is truly invaluable.
While I wouldn't say that everyone can do it, teaching in Korea, especially in an elementary school, is not particularly difficult. The curriculum is all set out, the lesson planning is minimal and you always have plenty of materials and the support of your co-teacher to rely on. Even the discipline aspect is handled by your co-teacher so really all you have to do is...teach!
Moving to a new country away from family and friends can no doubt be a daunting step, and a bit lonely at times, but the friends you make here and the many many things to do and see quickly make you condsider extending your stay for another year.

mokpopkom
Mokpo

Seamless experience

Canadian Connection makes teaching abroad easy. They guide you through the steps of applying, travelling, and make themselves available for support during your stay.

In terms of placement, I got placed in the city I wanted and I'm very happy! My school is great, coteachers are very supportive, and my apartment is close to all amenities.

Marcel
Seoul, South Korea

In Good Hands

From the very beginning of my recruitment, I found the staff at Canadian Connection to be very professional and helpful. They contacted my wife and I about a teaching opportunity within days of meeting us at an information session, and ensured that our application and interview process went quickly and smoothly.

Once we were hired, Canadian Connection provided a great deal of support for us before we left for Korea. They helped us prepare the necessary documents, and held an in-depth information and debriefing day for all Korea-bound teachers in Toronto (and even gave us free lunch!).

Once we arrived, the school was friendly and receptive. There was a party for our arrival, and we got to job-shadow the outgoing teachers for a week before starting our daily classes.

So far, this has been an overwhelmingly positive experience. Thank you, Canadian Connection for providing us with the opportunity to enjoy another culture, as well as a rewarding position with excellent benefits!

Canadian Connection is an ESL recruiting agency that operates in South Korea. Every year we help hundreds of teachers find opportunities to teach English in South Korea. This is a tremendous opportunity for young adults to travel the world while making a quality living. Please