Teach English in Vietnam with LanguageCorps

Teach English in Vietnam with LanguageCorps

Vietnam is currently one of the best locations in the world to Teach English Abroad. Thanks to a strong job market and low cost of living, most people are able to comfortably cover their living expenses with extra money leftover for savings, travel, etc. With a fascinating local culture, some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world and easy access to the rest of Southeast Asia, Vietnam is an ideal destination for anyone looking to explore this unique region.

All LanguageCorps programs begin with a four week, 140 hour TESOL training and certification course. During and following the training program, LanguageCorps will help all participants to find a paid job teaching English in their destination of choice.

Asia » Vietnam » Ho Chi Minh City
Asia » Vietnam
1 Year+
Salary / Benefits
Approximately USD1200-1500/month (pay is in Vietnamese dong). Benefits vary greatly from school to school.

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Christine
Seattle
Columbia University

Great experience

I absolutely loved my experience with Language Corps. I did my program exactly one year ago. I am new to TESOL and was quite impressed with our instructors (especially Nick) and the quality of learning we received. I also really enjoyed my learning in HCMC. Hien and Linh were amazing. I learned so much from them and was so happy with all of the support and friendship they provided for us. I have been teaching in the states for the past year with a plan of having my husband take the course next year when we move to Vietnam. Absolutely can't wait to go back and be with old friends again. Was so much fun.

I would say the Malady needs a little work and I wish it wasn't so far out. Also, I was not impressed with our lodging in Sinoukeville. I still can't believe we weren't put somewhere closer to the beach, like Otres. Instead we were far out surrounded by the sex trade. Weird. Next time, we will break away from the group and stay at Otres.

Vinnie
HCMC, Vietnam
Virginia Tech

Great time at LC

I recently completed LanguageCorps' Vietnam TESOL program and overall it was a great experience. To give some background, LC owns a hotel in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and the first two weeks of all of LC's Southeast Asia TESOL courses are spent there. After those two weeks, you are shipped to the country you want to teach in and you spend the next two weeks finishing the program there. My review will cover both halves of the program.

The teaching staff at LC was great across-the-board. While one of the instructors was a little arrogant, they all demonstrated extensive knowledge of their fields, and the head of English teaching in Cambodia, Nick M, was seriously one of the best teachers I've had, period. The program is organized in an efficient and smart way - most days, you'll get a little bit of teaching practice, English grammar lessons, practical knowledge for getting a job, and best practices for English teaching. The amount of info thrown at you can be a little overwhelming - I could barely handle Khmer lessons after eight hours of lessons while dealing with jet lag - but most of the time it's manageable. I felt extremely prepared to teach after the month was over, and I was able to get offers from both schools I interviewed with.

The support staff in Cambodia and Vietnam were also great. They will help you with pretty much anything you need - housing, visas, jobs, motorbikes, even point you to good restaurants. Hien, the head LC coordinator in Vietnam, literally forwarded our resumes to one of the schools here and got us interviews without us doing a thing. I really wanted that safety net when moving to the other side of the world, and the staff continues to help me with everyday kind of stuff even after I've completed the program and it's invaluable. The day Hien came with me to make sure I got a good deal on a guitar, I knew that these folks go above and beyond to make sure you have a good experience here.

There were some rough spots that LC can work on. The LC hotel in Cambodia, the Marady, is not the nicest place. They advertise having wi-fi, but few of us in the program were able to get access in the room, and internet access is needed when doing homework for the program. Power outages are frequent in Phnom Penh, and though the hotel has a generator, sometimes it didn't work and the outage would last an hour or more. Food at the hotel is decent, but overpriced. It can also be somewhat monotonous to wake up at the hotel, eat breakfast there, go to eight hours of classes there, do homework there, and then sleep there. On alternating days, classes are held at the local university and it's a nice change of pace. By contrast, the hotel in Vietnam was nicer and gave me no issues. The LC office in Vietnam is also a rather nice facility for the area.

Weekend trips aren't anything different than what one would expect booking through your average tourist agency. It was wonderful to finally see Angkor Wat and nice that LC recognizes so many people want to go there that it's worth including in the price of the program.

The bottom line is I wanted a program that prepared me to teach English and gave me a support network in SE Asia, and LC delivered on both fronts. If they want to be a truly top-notch TESOL program, they could improve their accommodations in Cambodia.

Accommodations in Cambodia.

Wilson
Pokhara Nepal
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Great experience with Language Corps

I recently completed the Language Corps one month TEFL course with equal time spent in Cambodia and Vietnam. After a frustrating period of searching online for reputable TEFL courses I finally was told by a friend and now fellow graduate of the course to check out Language Corps. I was happily surprised by their professional organization but found that the next course was beginning in only 3 days. I was worried that there was no way I would be able to enroll at such late notice, but with the help of Linda Smith (Director of Operations) and a long bus ride from Vietnam, where I was visiting a friend, and Cambodia, I was able to arrive just in time to start the class.
The teaching staff in Cambodia was great and I am not exaggerating in the least when I say that the head instructor Nick Mihaljevic is a rare talent and accomplished grammarian that any prospective teacher would be lucky to learn from and be inspired by. He is also a spectacular karaoke singer and dancer but don't take my word for it, Thursday night Karaoke at he Marady hotel is an experience one should not miss.
After the first two weeks of teaching theory and grammar instruction and a tough goodbye to a group that became a tightly knit group in our classes in Cambodia, a smaller bunch of us headed to Vietnam. The staff and offices in Vietnam were professional and well prepared and I couldn't have been happier with my time there. Linh and Hien were supportive and available to all of us and our student teaching time (every day for two weeks) was the most important part of the entire course. Constant feedback from our teachers and our fellow classmates, in addition to relationships built with our talented students prepared us well for the jobs that all of us hold now.
I am currently teaching at a monastic institute in Pokhara, Nepal, instructing young monks in English and Physics and while still learning, feel that the course gave me the confidence necessary for the task of instructing young monks here in the mountains of Nepal. Every member of my class who I am in contact with has found employment, including class members who did not have university degrees and were advised by many people they would be unemployable.
Learning to teach with Language Corps was an all around great experience and I would recommend it to any prospective student looking for a reputable organization with talented instructors here in South East Asia.

The only negative things I could say about the course would be that the infrastructure of the Cambodian section could be improved on, and by that I mean the organization of the weekend of activities for the most part. I think most of the hiccups we ran into were more due to the fact that Cambodia is a slowly developing country and is lacking in infrastructure itself and less in a clear failure on the part of the staff.
I can't say enough good things about the instructors and the staff of the Marady hotel itself who are trustworthy and excellent people without exception. Just get used to "Cambodian time" and plan on long bus trips and power outages and you will be fine.

Wanderlust
University of California- San Francisco

Great Experience

The training in both Ho Chi Minh and Phnom Penh was well organized, fun, and structured. In Cambodia we had the opportunity to see some of the city during our lunch breaks, while still accomplishing a lot during the day to day training. In Ho Chi Minh all the former Languagecorps students meet on a regular basis for lunch or nights out, and its a great community to be a part of. Highlights have been our weekend trips to Sinoukville and Siem Reap, as well as the daily pleasures of experiencing new foods and sceneries constantly. I highly recommend it for anybody looking for a new place to start a new career or lifestyle.

jmart2232
Strayer University

Teaching in Saigon

Teaching in Saigon, or officially Ho Chi Minh City, is an incredible and rewarding adventure. An English teaching job is fairly easy to secure, as long as you have your TESOL (or equivalent) certificate, college degree, and criminal background check. Most teachers work at night during the week, which is great because they have the days free. Weekends are spent teaching the kids. LanguageCorps is a very effective program, and I learned a lot of useful teaching techniques. It also offers a useful support system. Life in Saigon is really exciting and energetic. It's a huge city with a variety of things to do, fantastic food, and the nicest people you'll ever meet. However, be weary of bags/purses as petty crimes can be a prevalent in certain areas. However, the city has a great social scene and you are able to take trips to travel around Vietnam and Asia, as most schools are flexible with taking time off. Vietnam is a life-changing place and not a minute goes by when I regret coming here!

TeachinginVN
Colorado State University

Great Way to Leap Into Teaching Abroad

Teaching in Vietnam can be an extremely rewarding experience, and LanguageCorps will give you the basic skills to begin your adventure. It obviously isn't for everyone- you need to have an open mind, be willing to have a few setbacks, be extremely patient at times, and keep a sense of humor- but the benefits can far outweigh the downsides if you're willing to let them.

English teachers in Vietnam make a very comfortable wage based on the standard of living, and you'll have enough money to be able to travel as well. There are western hospitals, so no need to fear about possible health situations, and western grocery stores if you're craving a taste of home.

All in all it's been a wonderful experience and anyone who is willing to get started is making a good choice.

LanguageCorps is a premier provider of TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certification programs. Our programs around the world empower our Teachers to thrive as professionals abroad, living in fascinating locations while gaining valuable experience teaching English.

Programs are available in 22 locations