17 Day Vietnam Explorer

Backpacking Vietnam
Backpacking Vietnam
Vietnam Ha Long Bay
Vietnam Ha Long Bay

Become a Vietnam Explorer as we travel north from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi covering all the highlights and hidden gems in this incredible country. Get a cultural insight into its not too distant past, visit the sand dunes of Mui Ne, stunning beaches, breathtaking caves and national parks and finish off with a private island getaway in Halong Bay. The perfect amount of time to spend in this amazing country!

• Sand dunes in Mui Ne

• Staff 9.8
  • Organization 9.2
Tom

Vietnam 17 day tour

As this was my first time travelling alone I decided I wanted to do a tour to break myself in, Vietnam has always been somewhere I wanted to go so I decided to book on the 17 day tour. I was nervous before arriving but straight away I felt comfortable with everyone and my tour guide Edna was amazing from the off. My nerves changed to relief straight away and it was clear to me it was the best decision I made. For me the tour just got better and better as we moved north and all the sites we got to see and the activities included were just amazing! People ask me what my favourite part was but I genuinely couldn’t pick a best part as I enjoyed it so much, this is massively down to the group of people I was with also, couldn’t of asked for a better bunch of people and I will be in touch with them again. Plenty of extra activities are available for you to do while you have free time and I would recommend for anyone thinking of doing the tour to take advantage of these. Edna was very helpful sorting any extra activities you wanted to do. Also very helpful in letting you know where to go for food or what sites to see. After the tour I had a week spare before flying to Cambodia and wasn’t sure on what to do so Edna suggested we rent some motor bikes and head off into the hills to see some more of Vietnam, I thought yes why not. After hours on the bikes the sites and views we got to see were just out of this world! And again this is all credit to Edna for helping sort the extra little trip out, as if I was on my own I probably wouldn’t have the confidence to do this! All in all I would massively recommend this tour to anyone who is thinking about Vietnam! Massive thank you to everyone on my tour, trutravels and especially Edna!

What a trip!!!

This has been my 2nd tour booked with trutravels and i can safely say, It has continued to exceed any expectations i had. Papsi was always happy, fun, entertaining and professional. He was good under stress and also when dealing with more difficult group members. He usually went out of his way to cater to everyone's needs and get to know everyone. There were many times when Papsi's pure kindness + kind heartedness shone through as he sacrificed sleeping & showering in his own hotel room after the 10 hour night bus, So me and my friend could. The activities and destinations have been amazing, with amazing staff at each place too.
i loved the activities in Mui Ne, with the quad bikes (should be included in the tour price), fairy stream and sliding down the dues. I also loved going to Hoi an, the basket boats and the lantern making too. The cooking class had some of the best Vietnamese food I’ve eaten and was so much fun. Phong Nha also was some of my favorite activity days on the trip. I also have loved the city of Hanoi with the shopping and the fun we all had at train street. The War museum was also very moving and I’m glad it was included. Overall it was amazing value for money and even better by my amazing tour group of friends and having Papsi as my leader.

Flip flops are your life! Don’t pack too many socks but pack plenty of pants!
Yasmin

Vietnam Explorer

Papsi is an amazing tour guide. He was very professional and caring throughout the whole tour. Always asking How you are doing etc. He took his camera wherever we went and took pictures of everyone, a super nice extra!

We did so many activities. My favourites were The sand dunes quad bike (so much fun and thrilling!) The cooking class ( the food was so so tasty! ), The golden hands bridge was magical & the way up was breathtaking, An absolute must do! The night bus was very interesting, a nice experience while you're in Asia.

We had an excellent group & everyone got along really well!
It was a wonderful mix of activities, city and beaches, nature and culture.

Be prepared for lots of travelling & Do not overpack! Things are so cheap, you’ll want to buy so many things!
Michaela

A must do

I had an amazing time on the 17 day Vietnam explorer. It was far better than what i could have organised myself. We fitted so much into 17 days. The trip had everything I wanted and more. I particularly enjoyed ninhvana. I also the cooking class was amazing and the food was to die for. we had a fabulous tour guide. I got to meet the most amazing group of the people and see some fabulous sites with them. Papsii our tour guide was absolutely amazing. He also arranged us additional optional activities like quad biking and to go see the golden hand bridge. Our tour guide took pictures of the activities we did and sent them to us which was a lovely touch. I couldn't image a better tour guide. He brought so much fun and enjoyment to every aspect of our trip.

Don’t overpack clothes are soo cheap and you’ll want to buy things :)
Phisit

SO much fun

I had an absolutely brilliant time during the "Vietnam Explorer". We traveled so much over the 17 days and took part in so many activities, It is very difficult to pick one specify activity as my favorite as everyday was exciting, interesting and fun. We started with the war museum in Ho Chi Minh which was excellent-giving us a detailed insight into the Vietnamese history before beginning our explorations of the country. Driving quad bikes around the desert surroundings was amazing followed by the sand dunes. Cycling around Hoi An was very enjoyable experiencing the busy roads in Vietnam. The cookery class was excellent and the best food I've had in Vietnam. The accommodation has been very good in every location and I've felt safe and secure. Papsii, who is our group leader. He was excellent, he was so organised letting us know the activities for each day, he always made sure we were safe. I fell ill with sunstroke for a day and Papsii was so kind and caring I felt very safe and really appreciated his kindness. The people and Papsii made my travelling experience very enjoyable. Overall a very memorable experience one I will never forget! Thank You

Eleanor

Edna we love you

Edna was the most amazing tour guide, always worked to make sure we got the best deals and showed us the hidden, but often best, parts of vietnam. She made everyone on the tour feel like they were her freinds and was a lot of fun. She always worked to make everyone’s different needs catered for and was very knowledgable about the places that she showed us. Couldn't have asked for a better guide! Our tour had a lot of dietary requirements which she always made sure the hotels/staff knew about which was very helpful. She also helped create a friendly and sociable environment so that no one felt like they were travelling alone. I would definitely recommend doing the tour if you are worried about organising your own travel across the country as its nice to have it all planned for you.

Better value for money- we often weren’t given the best hotel rooms or rooms we could check into after night busses.
Tom

Vietnam Explorer

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Vietnam with Tru Travels from start to finish. It had a bit of everything. The war museum provided a great history and understanding of the country we were traveling and was a great way to start our trip. There was an adequate mix of activities and partying which suited every one of the 20 members of our group. The tour guide Edna was brilliant and I felt as if we have all become friends throughout our 17 days together. Edna was professional at all times, helping people out when needed with whatever they needed (Visa extensions or just helping out one of the injured members of our group who unfortunately picked up an infection along the way) Other than that she was always there with us partying, doing the additional included activities with us and always taking top quality snaps of each day to Capture our unforgettable experience in Vietnam.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I saw a fully roasted dog on the street which was very surprising as obviously us Western people keep dogs as pets
Alannah

Amazing trip

I had the best time on this trip everything was so well orginised and Ednas time management skills were on point! The variety of places and things we did and saw were amazing!!! We met amazing people and travelled to amazing places! I can't get over how much we saw in the 17 days! I didn't realise the extent of the history Vietnam has and how beautiful some of the places we stayed were! I found myself happy the whole time because I had no stress as everything is orginised and all I had to do was go along with the plan it was so enjoyable to just be able to relax and enjoy my holiday! Big love to Edna and my new Tru travels family ♥️

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The war museum was so eye opening to see the devastating effects the war had on the whole country and how it still continues to effect people to this day
Rhys

Great experience

Did this tour with a large group of around 15 - our guides, Adam Blackley and Edna Mendoza, were great helps and made sure our trip was smooth as could be. My favorite place was probably Hoi An where we had our cooking class and had the option to get tailor-made suits for cheap (around £80 or so). Also loved the national park where we did caving in the clay caves as well as ziplining with an aerial obstacle course over the river. Would have been nicer to have a few more activities included in the price such as the quad-biking but that's a minor detail. All in all, it was a really great trip and I'd definitely recommend this trip to anyone who plans to go to Vietnam and wants an easy-going holiday while still getting to see so much of Vietnam.

Vietnam Explorer

The Vietnam explorer tour was a really great way to experience the culture of Vietnam. There was never a boring moment as we were always busy getting involved with the activities organised. It was nice to have the option to take part in extra activities such as quad biking over sand dunes at Mui Ne, this was one of my favourite activities on the trip! I also enjoyed opting to visit Bana Hills, the location and the view from the top is absolutely stunning! The amusement rides at the top of the mountain were also a bonus. I really like the fact there was a mix of visiting party results and a mix of activities which allowed us to get a real taste of Vietnam. Some of the highlights for me was the cooking class, visiting a national park and basket boating. Our team leader Edna really made the trip as well, she’s amazing at her job and always looked out for people in the group ensuring they were having a good time. She was also great at recommending restaurants/shops/bars etc!

Have a hotel room available as soon as people get off the night bus at Hanoi as we were all shattered and had no rooms at the hotel to check into for a good few hours.
Ciaran

17 day Vietnam explorer

I'm actually sad that it's over. Even though I'm moving on travelling elsewhere I'll miss Vietnam, the people on my group, the people I met and wee pinky! Nothing was a problem to her. She always happy to help and couldn't be nicer. Those 17 days were some of the best weeks of my life with different activities in beautiful locations all the length of the country. Hard to pick out personal highlights for me really. All in all had a fantastic experience, great tour guide and touched lucky for a great group of people on the tour with me. It would probably suit all ages this group, no activity is too challenging or difficult. I'm waffling now, need to wrap this up I've 80 characters left. Honestly though, the most beautiful country and wonderful people. Do it.

More time at phong nha national park. All the caves we never got near and went to a duck stop....
Megan

Will never forget this experience

This 17 day tour of Vietnam was amazing and I will never forget it. My tour guide Pinky was so funny, kind and organised. We started our tour with only 5 people and joined a larger group 1 week in. I remember asking Pinky ‘will we be joining another tour guide?’ And she told me ‘no it’s just me’ - and whether she had 5 guests to organise or 15 it made no difference - it was all equally as fun and well organised which I thought was really impressive. My highlights were the Mui ne sand dunes tour and the hai van pass. Tru travels does not offer ANY animal riding which was such a relief for me - really well done on this. I would love to see this tour include the abandoned water park in Hue which I was sad I missed and the water puppet show in Hanoi which was so unique I thought I couldn’t be missed! My only criticism was the hotel in Ho Chi Minh on our first night was really not very impressive and set a bad first impression. My favourite accommodation was Mui ne.
Thanks pinky for always being upbeat and smiling.

Embrace all the activities even if you don’t think you will enjoy them! You will!
Becky

Vietnam 17 day explorer

The last 17 days I’ve spent in Vietnam have been some of the best days of my life. I cannot emphasise enough how incredible this country is - the food, the activities, the culture, the scenery, has blown me away. The itinerary is perfect and is filled with so many once in a lifetime experiences which I’ll remember forever. Not only that, but I’ve made a friend for life out of our tour guide Pinky who had a vast knowledge of Vietnam’s history and culture and could answer every question we threw at her. Not only that but she had a wild sense of humour and never failed to have us all in stitches. It was an emotional farewell today but I already know I’ll be back again to visit not only to see more of Vietnam but to see Pinky again! Thank you so much for this experience

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I’d make it longer, I loved it so much and I could stay for another few weeks
Abbie

The best 17 days!

I’ve just finished the 17 day Vietnam Explorer with Edna and it was an absolutely brilliant tour! In terms of activities there was a good mix of adrenaline (quad biking, zip lining), cultural (cooking class, imperial city tour) and more chilled out activities (Ninhvana) which meant we did and saw so much in just 17 days. The tour was definitely made by our amazing tour guide Edna who was always so much fun and made sure we got the most out of every day. She always answered our questions, made sure we knew what we were doing and took us to some really great restaurants. Edna was also our personal photographer which meant we got really great photos from the trip!
I would recommend this tour as a great way to see the best parts of Vietnam and have loads of fun along the way!

Include the Ba Na Hills as part of the tour and advise that we could spend a couple of days at the start and end of the tour if we wanted to see some extra places e.g. the tunnels in Ho Chi Minh or Sa Pa from Hanoi.
Sophie

Erste Reise als Backpacker: Vietnam. Tolle Menschen, tolles Land.

Translation by Go Overseas staff:

I have had great experiences in Vietnam. It was a unique experience that allowed me to participate in many fun and exciting activities and to explore different cities that I had never seen before.
It was a wonderful mix of activities, city and beaches, nature and culture. I would definitely recommend everything as I loved it every time. There was always something to do and everything was well organized.
On this trip I not only met people from different parts of the world, but also got to know a large group of friends with whom I will definitely stay in touch.
Our Vietnam tour would not have been so exciting, educational and entertaining without Edna. Edna is like a 24-hour sunshine. She always has a smile on her face and jokes around. With her good energy, great knowledge and sense of humor, Edna made the tour even more entertaining and funnier. Edna is a strong and inspiring woman.

Original:

Ich habe tolle Erfahrungen in Vietnam erleben können. Es war eine einzigartige Erfahrung, bei der ich an vielen lustigen und aufregenden Aktivitäten teilnehmen und verschiedene Städte erkunden konnte, die ich noch nie zuvor gesehen hatte.
Es war eine wunderbare Mischung aus Aktivitäten, Stadt und Stränden, Natur und Kultur. Ich würde auf jeden Fall alles empfehlen, da ich jedesmal begeistert war. Es gab immer etwas zu tun und alles war gut organisiert.
Auf dieser Reise habe ich nicht nur Menschen aus verschiedenen Regionen der Welt kennengelernt, sondern auch eine große Gruppe von Freunden kennengelernt, mit denen ich definitiv in Kontakt bleiben werde.
Unsere Vietnam-Tour wäre ohne Edna nicht so aufregend, lehrreich und Unterhaltsam geworden. Edna ist wie ein 24 stunden Sonnenschein. Sie hat immer ein Lächeln auf ihr Gesicht und scherzt herum. Mit ihrer guten Energie, ihrem großartigen Wissen und ihrem Sinn für Humor machte Edna die Tour noch unterhaltsamer und lustiger. Edna ist eine starke und inspirierende Frau.

Location:
Tan Son Nhat International Airport
( SGN )
Noi Bai International
( HAN )

Vietnam has had its fair share of war torn history; but not even a war could tear away the beauty of places like Ha Long Bay and Hanoi. When people think of Vietnam's geography, they often envision picturesque lush scenery and french influenced architecture; these are both true but they have a diverse landscape including vast sand dunes.

About TruTravels

TruTravels exists for one reason and one reason only...to give you the time of your life! We do what we do because we love to travel, we love to meet new people and share our experiences with them. You will have a ridiculous amount of fun when you...