Elephant Habitat Conservation in Legodimo Wilderness

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Legodimo Wilderness.

Volunteers get involved with hands on habitat rehabilitation, the reintroduction of indigenous tree species, biodiversity research and elephant observation. Legodimo Wilderness is situated in a wilderness area which is home to over 1500 elephants. As cities and towns grow and humans keep developing, so does the natural habitat of the elephant shrink. The aim of the project is to preserve, rehabilitate and expand open, unfenced wilderness. Volunteers work to counter the impact that elephants have on the vegetation and to study and learn more about population sizes and migration routes.
The project brings volunteers intimately close to the daily routines of African wildlife and promises to be a life changing experience.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the project stopped 2 years ago! As far is I know, the project runners are now managers at Terrafou lodge in Botswana (quite close to where the project was). Maybe have a look at their facebook page to see if they still accept volunteers?

David

One word... Unbelievable

He there,

I am David and i went to Legodimo in 2009 and came back in 2011.

When i arrived at Legodimo the first time i fell in love straight away. The most beautifull place i have ever been. The people are warm en i felt home straight away.

I met a lot of amazing people, the volunteers but especially the staff. Legodimo is worth every penny, every breath and every minute. That because of all the animals, all the fun work you do en because of G and Mieke. They do not only run the project, they make the project.

When i left the first time i new i had to come back once, i left friends, i left home and at that stage i left family. It is unbelievable that in 4 months you can love a place like this. I never thought that was possible.

You learn such a lot about the bush, the animals and you learn a lot about yourself as well.

I can try to describe the feeling but when i am honest.. it is undescribable!

When people ask me how was Africa.. I always end with the words: Just go there ones in your life. And when you go, go to Legodimo.

Greets,

David Rademaker

Eva

Legodimo heaven

Going to the Legodimo project was the best thing I ever did. G and Mieke are such wonderful people who really put their heart into reserving wildlife. They thought me so much.

My favorite thing was being in 'the middle of nowhere' with no internet or electricity. It takes some getting used to, but you turn to realize you don't need that 'luxury'.
You live in the wild, with wild animals. We woke up everyday when the sun came up in our dorms and often when I walked outside, a massive elephant came to greet me. We all had breakfast together, slowly waking up and enjoying the fresh air and nature sounds. Then we went to work and I loved checking on the elephant water hole where we couldn't be more close to these great creatures. We have lunch at camp and then work some more. In the evening we sometimes watched sunsets from a cliff or stayed in camp, eating together, cleaning up, play some games, read, have a laugh.
Every day we did some different work, and every day was fun. But the most fun I had, was when we held the first Legodimo Olympics. And also, in the evening, showering under the stars, I will never forget.

I loved being here so much and I'm dying to go back someday. Everyone should stay and help in Legodimo, it is a good cause and it enriches your life. Plus: I made friends for life, in a place that must be heaven on earth.

Hard to find something that bothered me, except that my camera broke down for a few days.
Would've loved to have stayed longer and make more trips.
And after my return, I still woke up at sunset :)
James

The perfect African Paradise

From days surveying wildlife to nights watching elephants by starlight there is no experience of Legodimo that was not unique and magical.

The staff and volunteers are the most friendly, accommodating, motivated and fun group of people I have ever had the pleasure to have known.

The days work was varied and interesting ranging from biodiversity surveys to physical work removing fences, wrapping trees (to prevent damage by elephants) and general reserve maintenance. There was never anything that you could not be involved in, whether it was helping with the cooking, lighting the boilers, a game of darts or cards or just a good conversation, there was never any excuse to be bored.

On drives and hill walks the incredible beauty of the reserve and the rugged bushveldt environment was truly stunning, with dramatic bare-rock koppies and majestic ancient baobab trees it was imposible not to fall in love with such an extraordinary wild landscape.

I always felt really involved with the work, the staff made it's purpose clear and welcomed any fresh ideas from volunteers.

My time in Legodimo was the utterly fantastic. It is not melodramatic to say that had I not volunteered there my life today would be radically different, and I would be far less happy.

Living in the wild has its challenges, with scorpions and thieving monkeys, it is hard to stay mad at a baboon for stealing your lunch though ...

Other than that the project is limited only by money and volunteers, the staff need your help to make their work a success and to realise their wonderful vision for their little patch of paradise!
Jessica

A very memorable experience

I only have positive things to say about Legodimo Wildnerness. The staff are incredibily knowledgable, supportive, and accommodating. They make any visit incredible and will quickly become a life-long friends.

I was shocked by the program site when we arrived. We truly expected to rough it in the bush, but the camp is one of Botswana's hidden gems. The location is superb and allows for a truly unique African/Botswana experience.

Note that the program site is removed from villages and large cities for a reason. Don't expect to be able to explore the local night life in Botswana after a long day. But why would you want that? Instead you can enjoy listening to the sounds of the wildlife around a campfire and hearing the astonishing stories of the Legodimo Staff.

I have no suggestions.
KellyM

A+

I only did a one month stay at Legodimo, but I wish I had done much longer. Every day was an adventure, and I learned something new every day. The owners of the program are awesome. They know pretty much everything there is to know about the bush, and the social events they organized were always a blast. The main camp is in a great area, right on the river so you see lots of animals that come to drink. Definitely one of the best places I have ever been.

Georgie

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING

I still think about this experience almost everyday of my life. It was awesome.

So much to learn about and so much to take in. What an amazing time and so many amazing people.

Helle

My best experience

My best experience to this day.
Staff made me feel at home, im a shy person but they helped me in any way they could.
Went there all on my own and felt welcome and safe through my 2 months there.
I will never regret my stay and will come back one day.
Most beautiful place on earth :)

I dont like beef and we had it alot, so less beef ;P
Michele

AMAZING!

This experience was one of the best I have had. It is a lot of hard work, but well worth it and you are able to learn a lot about the area. The leaders are very knowledgeable and provide an excellent experience.

Like any, the experience will be what you make of it. You are living/sleeping/eating very close to nature and the amenities reflect that so make sure you come prepared and stay flexible. Those who stay positive and relish the incredible experience will have the best time.

More bread cooked under the fire... at the end of the day I was very hungry and there wasn't always enough food.
Response from Legodimo Wilderness

Thank you for your feedback on the Legodimo Project!

Since the time that you spent on our project the management has changed and we have improved our meal plans and portion sizes.

We are dedicated to giving our volunteers a worthwhile and worry-free experience, your feedback helps us improve our project over-all.

Thanks again
Mieke Prinsloo
Communication Director
Legodimo Wilderness
[email protected]

Wouter

Best time of my life

Amazing environment. Staff knows pretty much everything about African nature !

I made friends from over the world I still visit after 5 years.

There's no single day that I don't think back of our amazing time. Living on natures rhythm and enjoying every minute.

Ons vir jou !

Because you live in the middle of the bush, you have to stay close to camp and can't make a walk on your own
FlorisW

FW Legodimo

Enough variation in activities and leisure. But the fun is most in the people you work with, you make friends quickly and meet people from around the world.
The staff has an amazing knowlegde about the wilderness, you are literally in. For me, the experience couldn't have been more complete and amazing.

Sometimes the organizing was a bit on the slow side and things can be unclear as to what the plan is. In my opinion volunteers are used to a more organized environment from home and it might take some getting used to and letting it all slide. Once you get used to it though, you'll have the time of your life. After all, this is Africa.

About Legodimo Wilderness

Legodimo Wilderness is an independent eco volunteering project focused on conserving as much natural habitat as possible. Volunteers work on biodiversity studies, wildlife observation and hands-on manual projects to preserve the integrity of our...