GVI: Volunteer in Laos

GVI: Volunteer in Laos

We are proud to launch our new GVI Business Internships Abroad!
Business Internships Abroad are a great way to apply your business management and leadership skills and explore the world while experiencing new cultures and contributing to a sustainable cause and kickstarting your own career!

GVI’s Business Internships are the perfect opportunity to gain valuable, hands-on experience, especially if you are a student majoring in:
- business management,
- human resources,
- accountancy,
- marketing or
- international relations students

Business Interns can look forward to using their theoretical training skills to work in a local community with developing entrepreneurs, assisting them with developing their microenterprise businesses by:
- running hands-on, educational workshops on microenterprise business skills,
- conducting business training initiatives and
- mentoring and guiding small business owners

To apply or find out more about the value of the internships, follow the link below.

You can make a difference and volunteer with GVI in Laos! From teaching novice Buddhist Monks to working with underprivileged children, you can make a difference and learn about a fascinating new culture. Those who volunteer in Laos with GVI are treated to spectacular landscapes, delicate temples and the opportunity to experience a fascinating culture. Join us in Laos, one of the most traditional countries in Southeast Asia!

Top Volunteer Projects in Laos:

• Volunteer with Buddhist Novice Monks in Laos: As a volunteer with GVI, you'll be teaching English to Buddhist monks at Wat Siphoutthabat School in Luang Prabang. Your contribution towards our project will help the community to alleviate poverty through better education and better job opportunities.
  • Women's Empowerment Project in Laos: Travel to Luang Prabang, the stunning ancient city in Laos, and contribute to sustainable women’s empowerment initiatives in the local community. You can get involved with health and life skills, English lessons, and help play a significant role in improving the lives of local disadvantaged females.
  • Childcare Expedition in South Asia: Discover Asia when you travel to Nepal, India and Laos on a world wind volunteer experience! Contribute to valuable childcare initiatives and help provide much needed educational and early development support to the underprivileged children of these regions.
  • Volunteer with Children in Laos: Laos offers one of the richest cultures in Asia and is the ideal setting for volunteers to spend their days working with local children and assisting Lao English teachers at schools and at language centers.
  • Teaching Internship in Laos: Gain practical teaching experience and boost your career while helping local teachers with their English and managing volunteer projects, making a real contribution to the community.
  • Teach English to Monks in Laos and Volunteer with Elephants in Thailand: Travel to two stunning Asian countries and help enhance the education of Buddhist Novice Monks and help reintegrate elephants into their natural habitat from lives in tourist camps.
Asia » Laos
Cost includes:

Orientation (teaching methods and techniques, language, culture, religion, etc)
Private accommodation at a centrally located guest house with a private bathroom.
A basic daily food stipend
Airport pick-up and transfer
GVI pre-departure support and services
24 hour in-country support
24 hour emergency phone line
Luang Prabang

Definitely enough time to get a feeling for the country and to give back. First time, I went for 3 weeks and then returned for 6 weeks the next year.

female headshot
Fanny

An amazing experience

I spent 7 weeks teaching english to Novices and Monks in Laos. They are kind and they want so bad to learn new things. We always enjoy the class all together. The staff are professional and organized but also really nice and fun. Luang Prabang is a city like no other. There is temple on every corner and smiley people on the street. It's a unique experience and it changes your life!
I really recommend it!

sophie
Paris - France
University of Southern California

CONSTRUCTIVE 2 MONTHS SPENT IN BEAUTIFUL LUANG PRABANG

It comes a time in life when you want something different. Not better, not more, but different!
And that's exactly what I found in Luang Prabang by joining GVI and teaching English to novices and monks for 2 months. I could have never expected such a fulfilling experience. I gave all that I could, they took what I had to give and they were not only happy, they really made progress – what an incredible satisfaction! The project in Luang Prabang is varied and extremely interesting. The support of the staff from day 1 allows you to do things you didn’t expect or think you could. And actually, now that I’ve lived this volunteering experience, and not only have taught English but have also learned so much from such a humble and culturally fascinating population, I wonder how visiting a new country as a tourist will feel like from now on!
Thanks to this project (1/150 GVI has to offer worldwide), I found out that you are able to spend precious time with the locals, discovering the city and its outskirts on weekends, whilst making a positive impact on the lives of wonderful people – A special thanks to all the amazing people I was lucky to meet and “rub elbows with” !!!

I wouldn't change anything

Sarah
Warrnambool, australia

Volunteering with novices

Through this program I was lucky enough to teach at a temple in Luang probang and teach the youngest novices in the temple. The youngest in the class was 8 years old. This was such an amazing and humbling experience and I learnt so much about myself and my life of these kids who were less than half my age. It was an irreplaceable experience and one that I will be forever greatful for

The cost is a little bit high, considering you only get a small good allowance for the week. Compared to traveling normally through this country, I think the cost was pretty high.

Katelyn
Australia
University of Wollongong

My volunteering experience

I visited Luang Prabang for about 3 months in 2014/15. My experience volunteering was amazing and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to see such a different culture, meet so many new and wonderful people and teach students who really need and want the education this program offers.

Being in the classroom was so enjoyable. The students had a genuine desire to learn as well as an incredible gratitude towards their teachers. I was teaching between 3 and 5 hours a day (Monday to Friday) with a variety of Lao students, village children and Novice Monks of varying ages and abilities. I was also planning for lessons each day, often with a teaching partner and a staff member if assistance was needed. The resources available, while less than what is expected of a classroom at home, were adequate for creating engaging and informative lessons. The staff were incredibly supportive in all aspects of my trip, ensuring I was comfortable both in the classroom and the program.

The social experience of the program was amazing and I met so many volunteers from a variety of places and cultures. The Lao culture was also incredibly interesting. It was very humbling learning about Lao culture from my students and experiencing Lao customs in a way no tourist ever would. For example, being invited to watch hundreds of Novices chant at a meditation retreat or attending a traditional Buddhist Baci ceremony was something no tourist would get the privilege of experiencing . The city of Luang Prabang was beautiful in itself with so many things to do and see. It was the program as a whole, however, that provided me with such an amazing memory which is why I am considering volunteering on this program again.

Lucy
Australia
University of South Australia

Overseas Family

I spent 4 months in Luang Prabang with the GVI staff and volunteers and it was an amazing experience. I met so many wonderful people all involved and doing interesting things with their lives, getting to know them was such a pleasure. I am also still in touch with my fellow volunteers and even had the good fortune of visiting a few on later travels.
The GVI staff are always trying to help their volunteers and were such a fantastic support net and resource for the time I was there.
I spent about 4 hours a day in an actual class teaching and an hour or so lesson planning. I got to experience working in teams and partnerships which made lesson planning easier and quicker but also added a lot of quality to the lesson that one mind, by itself, might lack.
One of my favorite memories was on my birthday when my adult class, whom I had been with for my whole time in Luang Prabang, bought in a cake and a small gift and surprised me at the end of class - it was just an unimaginably touching gesture. The Lao people are so lovely and it was a pleasure to teach them (and celebrate Lao New Year with!).
I also got to teach Novices of Theravada Buddhism which immersed me in the very core of Lao culture, and that deep connection to the community and culture is something tourists and travelling alone couldn't give to you.
Luang Prabang as a city has my highest commendation as a travelling destination, especially as a volunteer, because you can immerse yourself in the culture, or go for a trekking or kayaking adventure, or anytime you feel home sick go indulge on their tourist strip catering for westerners. As an Australian the Asian flora and fauna is so unlike what i'm used to and so their was a constant feeling of awe and surreal-ness about the beautiful foreign surroundings.
I would highly recommend going to Luang Prabang to volunteer with GVI, hopeful I can come back and commend you for your choice.

Liv
Roskilde, Denmark

Amazing experience!!

I had an absolutely wonderful experience in Laos.
I taught 3 novice classes a day and a class at Xayadeth college with mixed students. I loved all of my classes, and they were very different, so I got challenged in different ways.

The staff was always very friendly and helpful - from help to lesson planning to medical advice when you get sick.

The program is very social, and there are volunteers from all over the world in different age groups. I think, it was really nice with the differences because people accepted each other.

The accommodation is fine. Nothing too luxurious but it works and it's a nice place. You can always upgrade if you want a nicer room.

It is an expensive program, but I do not regret spending the money at all. The students are so eager to learn and genuine kind people, so you can only be happy every single day. I was crying when I was leaving after 6 weeks, and I hope I can come back one day :)

Machiko
Fukuoka, Japan

Teaching volunteer in Luang Prabang, Laos - Great students!

(Teaching)
I was a little worried whether I could teach English because I did not have any experience before. However, GVI gave volunteers thorough trainings on how to conduct a class and this training helped me a lot. We were given a demo class in Laos language which made us aware what it would be like to learn a new language. It was a great demo and fun!!

(Students)
I had two classes, Novices class and Laos children class aged 9 to 16.
They are eager to learn anything from the volunteers.

(Volunteers)
There were young and middle aged volunteers when I was there.
We got along very well. During the weekdays, we plan and prepare for our classes and for weekends, we had free time. Some of us took Laos cooking class which was awesome, sat on elephants,cruised along Mekong River, etc.

(GVI Staff)
They were always efficient, happy and helpful. The seem to solve problems very quickly.

(What I think now)
When I applied for this programme, I thought it was expensive. But now, I don't think so. I would not have seen Laos, the Novices and the people
the way I did had I gone there just as a tourist. I pay for the experience and my money is wisely spent for the benefits of the students.

I learnt to be flexible when it comes to living in a different culture.
I also learnt to respect their culture and now I miss my students, the Laos people I met and the GVI staff and volunteers so much. I wish each one of them a good and happy life.

I cannot think of one now.

Reinhold
Switzerland
Duke University

Teaching experience at Lao private schools

I was teaching at 2 private Lao schools at Luang Prabang with Global Vision International (GVI). Teaching itself and the students and fellow voluntters were a lot of fun - oncel you accept local conditions: you work for free while the students have to pay substantially and you don't understand where all the money goes to. And at one school students essentially paid for getting their diploma - not for learning the language - since they received the diploma no matter what their final exam revealed. Which of course did not enhance their motivation to learn - only half the class usually turned up.
Also, you pay to GVI about twice the amount that you would pay, if you went there on your own and in return and as appreciation for your work as a volunteer they give you a 'food allowance' which is definitely below the subsistence level.
Luang Prabang and surroundings is beautiful and I had a great time.

rooddo
Chappaqua, New York

Teaching English in Laos- Life Changing!!!!

Program provides a variety of teaching experiences from teaching first time English learners to students that are proficient in the language. You can get a taste of teaching all kinds of learners. Schools vary from very well equipped to very primitive. The students are enthusiastic and ready to learn. The price is quite reasonable, you stay in comfortable guest houses in your own room with a bathroom and hot water. You are given a weekly stipend for meals which is quite generous.

GVI is an award-winning organisation that tackles critical local and global issues by operating education and training programs on sustainable development projects around the world.

Formed in 1997, we have been operating our award-winning programmes for over two decades and over 25,000 participants have volunteered