Volunteer in Nepal | Most Affordable Projects Starting From $200

In the picturesque Himalayan nation, spend a few days volunteering for the underprivileged ones and live life differently! Volunteering Solutions offers incredible opportunities to volunteer & intern in the capital city of Kathmandu. There are plenty of options to choose from - you can opt to volunteer as a teacher, or work at an orphanage showering the little ones with love and care.

Medical & pre-med students can join the Medical Internship Program in Kathmandu. You can also choose to be a part of the Summer Volunteering program in Nepal for a span of 3 weeks and explore the country to the fullest. Travel across Pokhara, Bhaktapur, Patan & Nagarkot and experience a wildlife safari in Chitwan National Park.

*Looking for a great summer program? Check out the Volunteering Solutions Summer Volunteer Program - Kathmandu - Nepal!

• Choose from 6 different varieties of programs located in the capital city of Kathmandu.
  • Make a difference in the lives of the underprivileged ones.
  • Enjoy the magical ambiance of the country, surrounded by snow-capped mountains as well as lush green valleys.
  • Binge on delicious local food including momos and thukpa.
  • Travel on the Himalayan trails and indulge in some adventure sports during your free time.

Impact

Ahmed

A beautiful and worthwhile experience

I just returned from the medical internship project in Nepal this week and to sum it up, it was a beautiful and worthwhile experience filled with blissful and unforgettable moments. At 17, I was quite hesitated at first to do such a journey, but the support I got from my in-country supervisors and the quick replies of the operation office to all my inquiries were enough to make everything really easy. Nepal is a breath-taking country which I hope to visit again. The people are really friendly and the things you get to see and do there are one of a kind. Big thanks to my in-country supervisors and I hope I'll see you all again.

Sarin

All of my expectations for a memorable trip were met and more.

You are in need of a career break? Looking to do something out of the ordinary? Looking to get far away and do something worthwhile?
Of course the solution is volunteering solutions.

There’s never shortage for amazing volunteers, interns, and teach abroad program experiences. Volunteering solutions are awaiting you.

This is my 4th year consecutively working with volsol, they are incredibly helpful with choosing program, choosing location, onsite assistance and with the support that they give throughout the entire journey is just always fantastic.

I volunteered with underprivileged kids at the “parapokar orphanage in Nepal, I can honestly say that I was so lucky to had the chance of meeting those beautiful children, to had the chance to help and support them, they are just beautiful souls.
I also made some friends for life and hopefully one day soon I'll return for a visit! It really was an unforgettable experience.

Whether you’re a student, or you’re taking a gap year, or you’re a professional or a career break traveler, you’re guaranteed to find a volunteer placement, language engagement opportunity with volunteering solutions organization.

All of my expectations for a memorable trip were met and more.

Sevag

Beautiful Experience

I did my Volunteering in Nepal. it was a very nice country and people there were amazing.

Here is the Funniest stories of all time in my life.
So one day i wanted to eat noodles and couldnt find heater in the kitchen.. we were staying in a guest house with natives. so i took the noodles and went upstairs and saw this nice clean kitchen. i didnt know it was for the house owners and i thought all of us can use it. So i got in the kitchen and started to prepare a nice meal.. chopped some vegetables.. boiled the noodles and actually spent a good 25min in there. As i was preparing my food.. i saw this old lady looking at me with a very weird angry face.. she didnt say any word but just waited there for me to finish. When i was done with my dishes, she looked at me and just showed me the door.. i was surprised why she was acting this weird with me.. Me happily going downstairs to show the guys what i cooked.. every one was laughing.. it turned out that we cannot use that kitchen and the house old lady gets pissed if someone uses her kitchen.. we laughed alot abt it for hours and then i apologized to the family!

Maybe only the food might be better.. cz we ate alot of rice and spices only!
Lisa

Childcare Programme Nepal

I really enjoyed my time at the girls orphanage in kathmandu Nepal.
The programme involves assisting girls ages from 9-15. This is a learning process indeed, and I stepped out of my comfort zone, as my background has always been working with adults and children, it was an adjustment to rember what its like to be a teenage girl again!!!.

It was a process which I approached with an open and flexible mind, and indeed different to what I was expecting, I really enjoyed my time here as I learned about thr girls, their way of life, nepalese culture and different practices, from what im usually used to.

The programme is suitable for many different people, but as I was a first time volunteer, I really feel I picked the most suitable for what I was hoping to achieve from this trip.

The routine is very school based and lots of homework is involved. As im a homework tutor, I had no problem in this area, but many of the children were independent in this area, so perhaps, different times etc?, but in saying that volunteering is what you put in ,you get back, so therefore the times could be different?

Ines

Orphanage program Kathmandu Nepal

I am traveling since 11 month around the world and although Nepal was not on my bucket list in the beginning I immediately fell in love with this colorful, vibrant country and its lovely people.
After some trekking in the himalayan i had the great opportunity to work as a volunteer in the Paropakar Girls Orphanage in Kathmandu. Volunteering solutions helped me with the placement and made me feel very welcome from the first day on. They even arranged an orientation week for me. In this week i was taught some basics in Nepali language - which was very helpful - and they visited the main attractions - like Durbar Square, Boudanath Stupa, Monkey Tempel and the Pasupatinath temple with me.

The next weeks I was able to get involved in the Paropakar Girls orphanage, which houses 25 girls aged between 10 and 16. The program was a great opportunity to make a difference in the lives of these lovely children. Giving Love and attention to all of them and being able to assist the stuff/teachers in their work fulfilled me and made me happy.

Although a bit shy in the beginning the kids started trusting me very quickly and after 2 days I got hugs and kisses already.

A heartwarming experience thanks to volunteering solutions !

Saying good bye to wonderful Nepal and the lovely kids was very difficult for me, hope to come back one day !!!!

Ines

Karley

Nepal

While in Nepal I got to work in a big children's hospital in Kathmandu. It was a great experience for me because I got to work alongside Nepalese doctors and residents. They took me in and taught me so much in the short time I was there. I got to see some very interesting and complex cases that I wouldn't otherwise see in the United States. I also got to see how doctors in Nepal practice medicine and compare and contrast my knowledge and experiences from America.

I think it would be helpful if the doctors and residents would have been warned ahead of time that I was going to be joining them for a week. The first day I was there my team seemed confused. They didn't know who I was or why I was there. It also would have been helpful if they knew by skill level. Medical schools across the world are all different so they did not know how far along I was or what skills I knew.
Isabel

Magical Nepal

My volunteer visit to Nepal was amazing! The people were friendly and welcoming, and the diverse landscape was amazing. The day I started my Language and Culture class, I looked out the window and asked my instructor if the mountains I saw in the distance got snow. She giggled and told me those weren't mountains, they were hills. She promised I'd see real mountains when we went into Kathmandu later in the day. As I walked over a bridge to get to Kathmandu Dubar Square, I looked towards the "hills" and saw beautiful white peaks behind them. I was amazed to see the mighty Himalayas!! Now, THOSE were mountains!
Everywhere you look in Nepal is another treasure for the senses. The beautiful, ancient architecture marries beautifully with the chaos of the city. The hustle and bustle of everyday life contrasts sharply with the shrines that seem to be everywhere, yet at any given moment, one can hear the chiming of a bell that signifies someone has uttered a prayer. The spiritual and the corporal intertwine in a beautiful dance.
If Kathmandu is the center of city life, then Pokhara is its quieter, gentler sister. The 8 hour bus ride to Pokhara treats the traveler to amazing agricultural landscapes. The road also follows a river, which is serene in some places and has tumbling rapids in others. Once in Pokhara, the lake is the main attraction. Calm and quiet, it gently beckons the traveler to take a boat ride and explore its many outlets. The highlight of my time there was seeing the rays of the rising sun shine on the snow capped peaks of the Anapurana mountain range. I am not eloquent enough to fully describe the beauty of that moment.
Once back in Kathmandu, I spent a week at my assigned orphanage. The girls were wonderful! I learned so much from them! I only hope I made at least a small difference in their lives. These were sweet, beautiful girls with inquisitive minds. It was my privilege to serve them.
I miss many things about my time in Nepal. I miss the chaos of the city, the beauty of the scenery, and the depth of the culture. However, the thing I miss the most is the warm and welcoming people.My life perception has been changed by the people I have met and by the extraordinary children I served. Friendships were made and sealed by fun and laughter. The world has become smaller and my mind has become broader by this amazing experience. NAMASTE!!

I would have appreciated if someone from the program had met me inside the airport to help me with the visa / immigration process. It was a little confusing and overwhelming.
Neil

Medical Volunteering in Nepal

Volunteering Experience Feedback 2015

In July 2015, I enrolled in a volunteering trip to Nepal. The program that I signed up for was the medical volunteering program as I am a student currently studying physiology at McGill University.

Whilst I was nervous due to the earthquakes that preceded my trip, I was mentally motivated, determined to help make a change. The program set up by VolunteeringSolutions allowed me just that. I arrived and was picked up by the designated driver on time and was shown around the city on my way to the residence. I stayed with Miss Uma, who felt like a mother to me by the end of my experience. Her children, both adopted and not, felt like siblings and the hospitality was unforgettable. Daily her food made us feel like we were local residents of the community, and the humble accommodation showed us what life was truly like. Miss Uma was also extremely understanding of each individual’s background and facilitated the processes of travelling throughout the country. She also assisted in establishing relations with the appropriate volunteering programs by dropping us there, introducing us to the appropriate people and setting up a proper plan for our stay.

The hospital that I volunteered at was Shahid Memorial Hospital. The walk to and fro the hospital was 25 minutes and provided me with time to take in my surroundings and prepare myself for the day. Once at the hospital, my duties varied. I had a schedule which changed between departments throughout the hospital ranging from the emergency room, the ICU, the general ward and the operating room. The tasks assigned were appropriate to my skill level; as I am still studying the profession and have not been exposed to appropriate hands on activity, the program allowed me to learn practical skills such as taking vitals and patient interaction as well as theoretical understanding by access to medical professionals. The most engaging and interesting experience throughout my time at the hospital was working with Dr. Deepak in the operating theater, he allowed us to assist on surgeries in ways that were appropriate for us, taught us how to scrub in and explained to us his procedure.

Furthermore, the city of Kathmandu was beautiful, there is so much to do in and around Kathmandu that allowed me to engage with the city and make me want to stay. There are cultural excursions to temples such as the ‘Monkey Temple’ and ‘Pashupatinath’, there is night life in the Thamel area which is always buzzing with life, there is beautiful nature and forestry surrounding the city and I truly felt connected to the people by interacting with them. The freedom in the program allows one to travel throughout the country, explore particular interests yet the schedule allows one to make a positive change.

I felt appropriately equipped as the handbook that was provided before the trip had prepped me well for the trip. However, the one suggestion that I had was keeping some more money than recommended as there are costs such as eating out, travelling around the country, activities and transport.

I strongly believe that the program that I was enrolled in taught me the practicalities of the medical industry in a developing nation, and throughout the facilitation of our host parent, I was able to interact with local orphanages, and specially-abled individuals’ homes to help in as many ways as I could.

A beautiful product came out of the experience; friendships with people that I had never met before. In one room, we sat and had dinner representing over 10 nations who all got along and connected through a common goal of making a change and learning something new. I can positively say that I did just that and I had a lot of fun along the way!

I am definite on returning to VolunteeringSolutions to try and volunteer more and explore more of the programs available as I believe that I have developed as an individual and learnt to have a more positive impact on the global community.

Neil Tanna

Having a little bit more variety in the food, and recommending to keep more money in the handbook!
Marwa

Nepal on My Mind !

I had the chance to start my 2014 year in Nepal doing good!

It was my first experience in volunteering abroad, the children were amazing, our host house was perfect. The orphanage was chocking at first but we managed to spend time with the children trying to create some activities and help them out with their homework. The accommodation was very clean and very well equipped to host volunteers from different places n the world. Tt was extremely cold though, temperature was sometimes 0C at night.

overall it was a great experience getting to know local people and help as much as possible. I was fascinated with the level of spirituality in the country, people are so zen and helpful. My girlfriends and I were so happy with this holistic experience.

To volunteer; is to contribute your goodness and works to humanity unselfishly, without seeking any rewards. It was worth spending the holidays with these angels.

Samantha

Nepal isn't a scary place at all, post-earthquake.

Many people have the same thoughts or asked me the same first question when I told them I was in Nepal for 2 weeks. "Is it safe?" "How's the people there now?" To these questions, all I can say is this,"Nepal is an awesome place to be in, and a very safe one as well. No aftershocks felt by me in the 2 weeks I was there. The people are their usual friendly self. No chaos etc. Ultra safe." I would like to appeal to everyone to consider volunteering in Nepal, because they are one of the nicest bunch of citizens I've come across. Despite the 2 tragedies that struck their country, they carry on living their lives with dignity and pride. Their spirit is something we all should learn from, and to be able to help their society return back to normal was the greatest pleasure I had, knowing that I'm contributing to a strong and United country with the loveliest citizens.

I am satisfied with whatever it is right now.
Agostino

A valuable experience

I worked Monday trough Saturday in the Departments of General Surgery and Emergency Room of a Nepalese Community Hospital (Sahid Memorial Hospital). I had the opportunity to deepen my knowledge on various illnesses and clinical cases particularly present in Nepal (TB, meningitis, cellulitis, RTA etc...).
I also spent some time in a male orphanage, helping in the maintenance of the orphanage facilities and in the education of the children.
Thanks to this program I had the opportunity to really live with Nepalese people and to understand at least some aspect of Nepalese life and a lot concerning Nepalese Health Care System.

Gabriel

Nepal 2014

I loved my experience in Nepal this summer. I'll begin by telling you everything that I loved about your program:
- The accomodation at Uma's house were simply perfect. So much better than what we expected.
- The weekend activities were really easy and simple to organize. It helped us to be motivated by every weekend that were coming.
- During our first week, we had a lot of problems with our program. Uma was really open and immediately reassures us and started to look for something else for us. Then, we really started to enjoy our experience.

There is also some aspects that can improve:
- When we arrived at the airport, the guy that picked us up did not present himself. We were anxious and not sure if we were being kidnapped...ahaha.
- Sometimes it takes too long to have an answer to our emails.

In general I really enjoy to travel with VS.

Look to the section above.
Sam

Amazing time in Nepal

I liked the program placement very much. The kids were joy to work with and it was a very enriching experience for me and my fellow volunteers. The highlight of my volunteering experience was to live with a local host family and to learn Nepalese culture and way of living. Our home stay mother cooked extremely delicious food. The meals will be one of the things that I will miss terribly. The accommodation was very clean and had all the basic necessities. I enjoyed staying at the home stay.I will surely recommend this program to anyone.

Elena

Work during the week and fun in the weeknds

I really liked living with other volunteers so that you could have great moments with them during those times when you had nothing to do. Having free time after your work experience is great, for example, in the afternoon when we had nothing to do we could go sight seeing near our placement and be back in time for dinner, it would be great fun and it filled out our day splendidly.
Eventhough everyone felt very safe in our volunteer house, the host family insisted in locking us in during the night. We didn't like that much since it meant that sometimes we were forced to stay in when we wanted to go to the corner shop (before the indicated time to be back home at night) or in the morning when you had to leave early and they still hadn't opened the gate. Perhaps they should rethink this strategy or leave a key within the house, so as to have a possibility of opening the gate in case we needed it.

I know that we were trying to experience life as it is in Nepal and that to carry that experience out we had to adjust to their lifestyle. However, when where food was concerned I think it could have been a bit better. I don't mind having rice and potatoes everyday if that's what the host family has every day, but I had a feeling sometimes that they got more variation in their diet. I particularly missed having fresh fruit and vegetables. I could feel myself craving for it and we would end up buying fruits for ourselves.
Lisa

Amazing Nepal!

I recently finished my program in Kathmandu and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Nepal. The placement was next to the accommodation which was highly comfortable and new (also had Wi-Fi so I was in contact with my family during my entire stay of 3 weeks). I worked at orphanage placement and it was an exceptional experience and it was way beyond my imaginations.

I also celebrated Holi with local people and it was real fun. I have already talked about this experience to my friends and would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who is looking to go to Nepal.

The meals were perfect and tasty but always Nepalese so may be add some western dishes as well.

Uma

About Volunteering Solutions

Since 2007, Volunteering Solutions (VolSol) has been working with the aim of providing support to the underprivileged societies of the world in order to make a difference. Over the last 11 years, VolSol has placed more than 13,200 volunteers across...