Volunteer in Peru | Education, Preservation, Medical or Sports

Age
18 - 100 years
10 travelers are looking at this program

About This Program

INLEXCA offers volunteer programs based in Cusco giving the perfect opportunity to travel with purpose while living in a beautiful and mystic setting in Peru. Our volunteer programs range from 2-24 weeks and offer home-stay accommodation or in volunteer guest house.

We have numerous projects that you can volunteer in such as: Education, Special Education, Childcare, Environmental Preservation, Medical, or Sports.

• 24/7 support
  • A variety of projects that match your interests and the project's needs.
  • Set in the beautiful city of Cusco, a UNESCO World Heritage Site

Most of our programs are in or around Cusco. Our environmental program is located in the Peruvian Amazon.

Volunteers work 4-6 hours per day, Monday - Friday and are encouraged to spend weekends, holidays, and time off exploring Costa Rica's nature, culture, and exotic places.

Volunteers can work on projects across a number of areas:

EDUCATION

Help teach children in Peru by volunteering in the education program and passing on the information you know. Volunteers can assist the teachers and if staying for longer periods , volunteers can have their own class assigned. Volunteers in this program can be assigned to a school or after school program in Cusco depending on availability and the volunteer’s profile. You can write down your preference on the application form for either a school or after school program.

Usual work schedule is from 8 am to 1pm in the schools and 2 pm onward in after school programs.

SPECIAL EDUCATION

Students with disabilities need special attention to help develop their full potential and appropriate methods for their specific condition. As a volunteer in this program ,you will be helping assist classes that are built to develop the skills of special needs students. Children in this program have conditions such as: Blindness, Deafness, Down Syndrome or Cerebral Palsy. It’s very important that volunteers joining the special needs education program understand that this program requires one to be patient and loving.

CHILDCARE

Volunteers joining the childcare program in Cusco will be working in kindergartens for children from 3-5 years of age from low income homes. Most children come from small, poor communities close to the school. Volunteers help the staff in the pre-school to teach and care for the children.

ENVIRONMENTAL PRESERVATION

Volunteers in the environmental preservation program would be helping in the transitional area between cloud forest and high jungle of Qosñipata which is found in the bio geographic space located in South Eastern Peru and immersed in the Neotropics. The Project is next to the small community of Chontacha also the villages of Salvación, Patria, Atalaya and Pillcopata , all of them in the Valley of Qosñipata, Reserva Biosfera del Manu, Paucartambo, Cusco Perú.

MEDICAL

Volunteers joining the medical and health program will be assisting in different heath posts around Cusco. Health posts are the first line of treatment before serious cases are referred to hospitals. In the health posts preventive and recuperative medicine is practiced. Observation and participation is allowed if the volunteer has advanced studies of medicine. For pre-med volunteers participation and observation is allowed only with supervision

SPORTS

Do you like sports and have practiced a specific discipline? Help teach children in Cusco get involved in sports by helping to coach them and practicing a sport with them. We support a sports organization that offers facilities and training for a number of different sports to the whole population of Cusco. They offer sports such as are taekwondo, volleyball, gymnastics, athletics and basketball.

What's Included
Some Activities
Airport Transfers
Some Meals
More info on what's included:

24 hour support

SIM cards
Transportation
Travel Insurance
Visa
More info on what's not included:

Health Insurance
Travel

Accommodation is provided and includes placement with a local host family. You will have a private bedroom with shared bathroom facilities.

Breakfast and dinner are provided seven days per week. Food differs by region, however, beans, rice, meat, seafood, fruits and vegetables, and tortillas are staples in the Peruvian diet.

Pricing

70 F / 43 F
Airports:
Alejandro Velasco Astete Airport
( CUZ )

Cusco, a city in the Peruvian Andes, was once capital of the Inca Empire, and is now known for its archaeological remains and Spanish colonial architecture.

Hosted by Integrated Learning Experiences- INLEX

Integrated Learning Experiences offers volunteer programs , group volunteering and internships in Guatemala, Costa Rica, Peru and Argentina. Our programs are customized to the participants to create great cultural experiences.

Project Coordinator
Have a question?
Send Diego a Message

Andrea

Medical Volunteer in Peru

I was lucky enough to volunteer at a local clinic in Peru. I was really scared coming into this, because I had never traveled out of the country by myself. I'm really glad that I completed this trip, and feel like a stronger person coming out of it. My time here has not only confirmed that I'm on the right path, but has taught me a lot about the type of doctor I hope to be. I learned how to empathize with patients when you deliver bad news, and how to celebrate when you deliver good news. One thing I realized is how taxing it is on your mental health to be with sick patients all the time, but the doctors were constantly giving me advice and helping me through some of my first times with patients. The clinic opened their doors to me, allowing me to learn and thrive more than I could have imagines. From assisting in surgeries to perfecting my Spanish, no textbook or lecture will be able to teach me things I learned first hand in Peru. This experience has taught me to take risks and try new things; find my own path. I’m really excited to take everything I’ve learned and put it into practice, both in my personal and professional life.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I was able to assist in a hysterectomy with a lady who had an 11cm tumor on her uterus. 11cm seems small, but on average a uterus is about 7cm.
Read my full story
DIANA

Voluntariado en Perú

Translation: First volunteering and I had the opportunity to meet some amazing kids, every day I learned many more things from the people who helped there and the children, who have an incredible discipline at all times, are very applied and friendly.
This home offers a lot of love, reason more to leave all my help there.

Between adventures, help in the tasks and meet each of these people, I managed to strengthen my confidence in social work. I also had the opportunity to travel to Peru for the first time, and to explore how beautiful Cuzco is, its culture and tradition.
Walking through the streets of Oropesa with the children was quite an experience, they told me their school days and the way they could help was unequaled.

Primer voluntariado y tuve la oportunidad de encontrarme con unos chicos increíbles, cada día aprendía muchas mas cosas de las personas que ayudaban allí y de los niños, quienes tienen una disciplina increíble en todo momento, son muy aplicados y amistosos.
Este hogar ofrece mucho amor, razón mas para dejar toda mi ayuda allí.

Entre aventuras, ayudas en las tareas y conocer a cada una de estas personas, logre afianzar mas mi confianza en la labor social. Así mismo tuve la oportunidad de viajar a Perú por primera vez, y recorrer lo hermoso que es Cuzco, su cultura y tradición.
Caminar por las calles de Oropesa con los pequeños fue toda una experiencia, que ellos me contaran sus días de colegio y la forma en que podía ayudar, fue inigualable.

Translation: Transportation back to the airport, since the home is a bit far from Cusco, and being with the luggage makes it a bit more complex to return.

El transporte de vuelta para el aeropuerto, ya que el hogar queda un poco lejos de Cusco, y estar con el equipaje hace un poco mas complejo el volver.

FAQ

Great question! Once you send a message or press Apply Now, the provider of this program will receive your message or application, and guide you to the next step. All you have to do is fill out a few details! The entire process should only take a few days and every message will appear in your personal inbox.

Within 1-4 working days usually.

Your message will be sent to the provider who runs this program! You will receive a personal email as well as a message in your Go Overseas Inbox (top right of the page, "Inbox") once the provider responds to your question. At any point, you can ask more questions by pressing View within your Go Overseas Inbox.

Wait for the provider of this program to accept you! You will receive an email to your personal inbox as well as your Inbox here on Go Overseas within 48 hours.