- South Africa
View Other Details
1 week $670
2 weeks $1 190
3 weeks $1 750
4 weeks $1 960
5 weeks $2 310
6 weeks $2 640
7 weeks $2 980
8 weeks $3 330
Your fees include:
- Transfers on Saturdays for arrival/departure
- Three meals per day, tea, coffee, juice
- Accommodation including bedding and towels
- One trip to town per week
- Working in the community
Your fees exclude:
- Flights, internal/international
- Travel Insurance
- Personal toiletries such as shampoo, sunblock, mosquito cream
- Sodas, cokes, alcohol
DAKTARI Environment & Wildlife Education Centre is set in a beautiful nature reserve close to the Kruger National Park. The comfortable camp is located in the heart of the reserve where you will work with the children and the animals of the sanctuary.
You will teach the local children about the importance of protecting the environment and blossom their passion for animals through the care of the animals in our sanctuary.
Please note that all animals kept in captivity in our sanctuary are not able to go back to the wild. We do not encourage animal petting.
DAKTARI also runs an outreach program for a greater impact on the communities. The weekly ECO CLUB and Wildlife Crime campaigns give the children the opportunity to ignite positive attitudes towards their valuable environmental heritage.
The volunteers are vital to the success of our programs and really make an impact on the communities, the future of our environment and our wildlife.
- Educate underprivileged children about the environment, anti-poaching and important life skills.
- Care for injured and/or orphaned wildlife and help us give them the second chance they deserve.
- Get involved with local communities and learn about South African culture.
- Go on trips and excursions and discover the beauty of South African beyond the gates of our camp.
- Become a part of the DAKTARI Family, make friends for life and memories you'll never forget!
Our programs have reached more than 4,500 children in 16 years, cared for hundreds of animals, and helped employ dozens of youth.
What makes our Teaching Program different?
The children get to spend a full week at our camp with our volunteers and get to have fun, as well as learn a lot! Because we only take eight children each week, they benefit from one-on-one attention and participate in every lesson. Each day has a mix of lessons, activities, and animal interactions.
The teaching program is very hands-on. The children get to see the animals up close at our wildlife orphanage and interact with the animals every day. The lessons are interactive and practical and the children leave here with a passion for learning.
The program is completely taught by volunteers with the help of a local volunteer coordinator. They get a detailed teaching program before they arrive so that they can learn the material. The lessons include outdoor activities,
To get an impression of what the life of a volunteer at DAKTARI is, check out the video below!
https://youtu.be/PrVswQF57rU Life of a Volunteer