Women's Empowerment Project - Volunteer in Tanzania

Women's Empowerment Project - Volunteer in Tanzania

As a Give a Heart To Africa volunteer you will teach adult women in our vocational school. They are truly a joy to work with, they are eager to learn and appreciate any help and knowledge our volunteers share with them. We have easy to follow lesson plans so no previous teaching experience is required. Our organization is run 100% by volunteers so we truly appreciate your help; every volunteer counts and we make sure your experience is a productive one. You will get to know our students not just at school but also by visiting them every Friday in their home.
We are located at the foothills of Mt. Kilimanjaro, in Moshi, Tanzania. Our school is adjacent to our house so we truly live with everybody as a small family.
We are looking forward to meeting you

Africa » Tanzania
Our weekly fee is $300 per week for the first 4 weeks. Any additional week is $150. This includes your transport from the airport, accommodation, dinners, cleaning service and security guard. 100% of your volunteer fee goes back to the project

Lucy

Unforgettable and Amazing

My two months volunteering at Give a Heart to Africa (January-March 2017) were more amazing than I can put into words. Organizations like GHTA are hard to find. Educating and empowering women in developing countries is sadly not always a first priority. When I was researching organizations to volunteer with and I found GHTA I was thrilled. An organization that not only educated women in subjects like English and math, but also vocations and business, was exactly what I was looking for.
The application process was simple and very informative. I talked to everyone involved in the organization and I felt very safe about my traveling plans.
Before I knew it I was landing in Tanzania! This was my first time traveling alone internationally so I was pretty nervous going somewhere completely new. However once I landed and met the people I would be working and living with for the next couple of months I knew that it was exactly where I wanted to be.
GHTA started feeling like a second home within a matter of days. Everyone involved in GHTA, especially the women who are the leaders of the organization, are more than passionate about helping not only women, but anyone in need, in and out of school. Over the years GHTA has been in Tanzania it is clear that they have worked and continue to work effortlessly towards empowering and bettering the lives of women in need. The change is clear. GHTA creates a huge impact in bettering the lives of their students and the community.
Volunteering for GHTA is an experience I would highly recommend to anyone who is interested. I made so many relationship and met people that I will never forget. Moshi is a safe community filled with the kindest people. Teaching at the school is a large responsibility and it is crucial that all volunteers commit their time and are serious about school, however outside of classes there are lots of opportunities to go on day trips, hiking, safari trips, exploring town, and many more things.
Volunteering at GHTA is an opportunity I am so unbelievably grateful to have experienced. If you have the chance, please please please go. It will be worth every minute.

I dont think there is really anything the program needs to improve, everyone involved in the organization does an amazing job.

Danielle
University of Colorado- Boulder

Best Month of My Life

I volunteered with GHTA for a month in January 2017, and it was hands down the best month of my life. This program is truly amazing, and the people you meet in Moshi will forever change your life.

I decided to volunteer with GHTA after a friend of mine told me about the program, as she had volunteered a few years prior and absolutely loved it. I just graduated college in December 2016, and decided that I wanted to go to Tanzania for the month immediately after. I traveled with my best friend, as we were both passionate about women's education.

The women that are in this program are some of the most inspiring and determined women I have ever met in my life. For many of the students, this program is one of the only ways for them to gain a better education, and provide for their families. Everyday, I woke up with excitement to see these women and talk with them about their lives and their families. I was working in the vocations classroom, and had amazing conversations with them surrounding current global issues, and women's rights in Tanzania. Although I was teaching them English, they also did a fantastic job of teaching me Swahili.

The program is also run by a fantastic woman, Rhiannon. I have never seen someone who genuinely cares so much about giving back to others before herself. She wants each and every one of her students to succeed, even if that means being strict on them. She inspired me every day, and was also so fun to spend time with when class was not in session. She is the heart and soul of GHTA.

The town of Moshi itself is beautiful and filled with such kind people. My best friend and I walked to town nearly every day, and always felt safe. Kilimanjaro is also the backdrop to Moshi, although we did not get to hike it while we were there.

There is so much to do in Tanzania, and so many amazing people to meet. If you have the time, go volunteer for GHTA for at least two months. One month for us was not enough, and we were heartbroken to have to leave. I love the people and the organization so much, and I hope to go back to this program someday.

Beverly
Watkinsville, GA
Adrian College

GHTA makes a difference

Many of life’s best adventures are not meticulously planned far in advance. Thirty days after I retired from thirty years’ of teaching, I arrived in Tanzania in June, 2010, to volunteer at GHTA for the first time. I taught English to a fabulous group of men and women who were eager to learn. It stunned me that they would thank me every day for teaching them. I lived in the house that is attached to the classrooms in a secure compound in a neighborhood near the university. Our translators were so encouraging and helpful; Margaret sang as she cooked our dinner daily, and other volunteers quickly became my friends for the next two months. Although I have a teaching background, this is not a requirement; a willingness to help these students gain skills so they can discover opportunities for success and employment to provide for their families is vital. Though I loved my daily interaction with the classes, I loved our Friday home visits which gave us a chance to interact one-on-one and to meet the family (or, sometimes, the whole compound). It was the home visit that informed us clearly about each individual.
As you read other reviews on this page, you will find plenty of details about the basics of the school, the lovely town of Moshi, and the serendipitous array of weekend adventures. Though I thoroughly enjoyed my safaris, the coffee tour, the visit to Lake Chala, trips to Arusha, the Usambara Mountains, what I loved was the people. If you are reading this review trying to decide where to volunteer and how long to stay, let me be clear. At the end of two months, I was wishing I could stay longer. You also should know that I have returned twice, in October, 2011, and May, 2014, each time for two months. It was wonderful to share a home with other volunteers of varied backgrounds, languages, ages, occupations and travel experiences. We helped plan lessons and activities together and sought ways to help our students who struggled as well as challenge those who excelled.
One of the absolute highlights was celebrating the 5th anniversary of GHTA and meeting students and volunteers from the classes I had taught in 2010 and 2011 to see how their lives had been positively impacted by their time in our school. The very fact that Monika would seek to find them and invite them to come tells you that this is a community effort, not just a quick field trip into another country. What an absolute joy to come alongside them as they work in the co-op, run a spa, maintain a food stall in Uhuru Park, actively supporting one another. It is astounding that these mamas came as strangers to one another as they entered GHTA. If you are seeking to expand your horizons while making a true difference in the lives of women in the Moshi area, this is the place for you. It bears repeating that this NGO uses 100% of the fees to live and board in the house to support GHTA. No fees are divided by an umbrella organization; your placement as a teacher is established clearly when you are accepted. Former volunteers and board members are available to answer questions you might have. You will be independent, you can learn some Kiswahili, you will bond with these women very quickly and invest your time and energy in their educational experiences. You will come to love the neighborhood children in the bi-weekly after-school program. You will make some lifelong friendships with other volunteers. You will not leave GHTA unchanged; my perspective on life has not been the same.

I have observed many improvements from 2010 to 2014, so I think it is just fine.

nhberner
New Hampshire
University of New Hampshire

Make a Difference in Someone's life

Give a Heart to Africa is a women's empowerment project located in Moshi, Tanzania. Its mission is to provide free education to women in the Kilimanjaro region. It's a wonderful program that is positively impacting the lives of women in the region by teaching them English, Business, Math and vocational skills. The student's are dedicated and hard working. I've been lucky enough to have volunteered here twice. Since this was my second trip there I had a chance to visit with some of my previous student's and see how the skills they learned at Give a Heart to Africa helped them to succeed.
The Kilimanjaro region of Tanzania is beautiful, the people are extremely friendly. Moshi, where GHTA is located, is at the base of Mount Kilimanjaro and has a great view of the mountain. It is also very easy to go on safari. I've had the opportunity and would highly recommend it to anyone who volunteers. If you want to really make a difference in someone's life, volunteer at Give a Heart to Africa.

Having a few more volunteers who are dedicated to teaching the students instead of just wanting to visit some place.

Jen
Vancouver, Canada

Fabulous Volunteer Experience

I stayed at GHTA for a month and taught English. I had an amazing time and would recommend the experience to anyone interested in volunteering overseas. My only complaint would be the rooster that woke us up every morning at 3am without fail! Other than that guy, I wouldn’t have changed a thing about the experience.
Moshi was a great, safe little city and there is TONS to do in the area. I found that I had loads of free time to explore in the afternoons and on weekends. Leave time before or after your volunteer commitment to go on Safari in the Serengeti and to climb (at least a little bit of) Mt Kilimanjaro.
The house was comfortable and the food was amazing, absolutely delicious. Margaret (the cook) as well as the other staff were lovely; very friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed living at the house; there were 3 other volunteers while I was there and I found that there was lots of space for us. The compound is safe and secure and the area around it also safe, and everything you need is within walking distance. Monika and other volunteers were fun and from a diverse range of backgrounds. We had a great time together, and with the students.
The students on the whole are energetic and enthusiastic, and I found them inspiring and hungry for knowledge. My favorite part of teaching was seeing that ‘ah-ha’ moment, when they grasped a concept they had ben struggling with. It was very rewarding work. The lesson plans were easy to understand and follow. Another highlight for me was the home visits on Fridays; it was both enlightening and humbling to see where the women lived, to meet their families and to be invited into their homes.

re-home the rooster. :)

Dave
Manchester, NH
University of New Hampshire

Make a difference

I just returned from my second time volunteering with Give a Heart to Africa and I'm already trying to figure out when I can go back. This is a great organization doing some amazing work. Unlike most organizations, it is 100% volunteer run. Don't worry if you don't have any teaching experience because there is a curriculum to follow--the only thing you need is the willingness to make a difference. Tanzania is a beautiful country with really wonderful people. There is a lot to do on days off and plenty to see. (this will say I was there in 2014 but I was actually there in January, 2015)

There really isn't anything I can think of that I would change.

Rebecca
Jersey, UK
University of Bath

Very highly recommended

I spent 4 weeks with Give a Heart to Africa and it was not long enough for me! GHTA is such a special organisation. The small and grass-roots nature makes for an experience that is very personal and you make a very real difference in your time there. With GHTA you are so much more than a tiny cog in a huge machine of an NGO.

The program is very well run and I felt looked after throughout my time in Tanzania (speaking as a solo student without prior experience in the country). There is also a great honesty and transparency to the running of things which is hugely refreshing.

A typical day would involve teaching in the morning (I taught English) followed by lunch and working with the kids program for neighbourhood children or helping out at one of our co-ops in town.

There is also great flexibility for getting the most out of your time in Tanzania, as well as lots of advice on how to go about it, be it safari or a weekend in Zanzibar.

The highlights for me were the home visits to a student that are conducted once a week. It was a fantastic opportunity to see how the students live and learn more about each others cultures.

Overall, I can't recommend GHTA highly enough to anyone who wants to make a real difference and have a great time while doing it.

Vivian
Portland, Oregon
University of California- Irvine

A life-changing experience

I volunteered at GHTA for two weeks, and my only regret was that I couldn't stay longer. I've been a teacher for 20 years, and have never experienced students so eager to learn, so excited to be there, and so appreciative of the opportunity! Although I've never taught English, there were clear and detailed lesson plans to follow, so it didn't take long to get the hang of it. As others have said, there are translators in all the classes, so don't worry about not speaking Swahili! If you do want to learn some Swahili, though, you'll find the students eager and happy to teach you, and it's fun to be able to learn from each other :-)

The volunteer house was safe, clean, and comfortable, located right at the school in a nice colonial-style house surrounded with beautiful vegetation. You can walk or take an inexpensive taxi into town to buy food for your breakfast and lunch, and lovely, always-smiling Margaret cooks dinner for the volunteers every night. It was hot in January when I was there (the peak of summer), but you get used to it after a few days. You realize that, even though your living conditions there aren't what you are used to at home, they far surpass the locals' living conditions, and seeing local life is a real eye-opener.

Monika, who founded and runs the program, is terrific in every way! She was very responsive by email in advance, so all questions were answered and you will arrive prepared, and on-site she always made sure we all had whatever we needed. You can learn a lot by watching her interact with the students and other locals. I really enjoyed her combination of warmth, spunk, determination, humor, and know-how.

I would go back in a heartbeat, and hope to be able to return soon. Even though the program name implies that the volunteers are giving a heart to Africa, I personally felt like the women of GHTA gave a heart to me. You should go. It will change your life, too!

It would be nice if the bunk beds could be unstacked .... The lower bed can get stuffy with the mosquito netting tucked in (but that was in the heat of summer).

Bruce
Annapolis, Maryland, USA
Drexel University

Life changing experience

Most rewarding. I've never seen students more enthusiastic. Great adventure like nothing I've ever done. Can't wait to return.
Certainly loved the scenery and doing some climbing of Kilimanjaro. Also, went to Serengeti on safari. Not to be missed!

Funding is a major issue. I will help to bring balance to income.

Jean-Marie
Sydney, Australia

GHTA makes a real difference

I volunteered at GHTA for 2 months as a Maths teacher, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to make a real difference in a community that needs it. GHTA is a relatively small organisation in Moshi where everyone's individual contribution really mattered, and this was perfect for me - you really get out what you put in.

* My review turned out longer than I expected, so I've broken it up into sections for you:

1) VOLUTEERING

Teaching the Mamas was both a joy and a very humbling experience, as they were just so keen and eager to learn. Each volunteer teacher is paired with a local translator who is familiar with the course, and together we taught the Mamas from 9am-12pm, four days a week (Mon-Thurs). It was challenging at times, trying to figure out how to help them best understand a concept, but patience, perseverance and creativity won through every time. It's particularly rewarding to see how pleased your Mamas are when they realise how much they have learned - especially given that many of them haven't studied past standard 7, and most haven't been in school for many many years.

Every Monday and Thursday from 2-4pm, we ran a play group for our students' children as well as other children who live close to GHTA. Together, we would play football, hopscotch, skip, dance, build lego structures, make arts and crafts, read, colour and draw, and just generally have a good laugh! I really do miss the children, they are funny and energetic and beautiful and so loving.

Fridays were reserved for home visits - this is where we spend the morning visiting a Mama from our school, to meet and get to know her and her family in her home, and observe first hand her living conditions. These home visits gave great insight into how our Mamas lived and I really enjoyed getting to know our Mamas better.

2) FREE TIME

I found that I had plenty of time to experience Tanzanian culture. We volunteers usually spent our weekends exploring Tanzania: We went on Safari to Tarangire NP, Serengeti NP and Ngorogoro Crater (super highly recommended), went to Zanzibar, did a day hike of Kili (though if I had my time again I would have done a whole week hike and skipped the day hike), visited Arusha and Marangu waterfalls. I also visited our watchman's Masai village past Arusha which I found fascinating. During the week, we would hang out in Moshi at the local shops, pools, restaurants and bars, etc... Personally, I loved watching local football matches - there were some at the university next to our school (the winning team won a cow!), as well as a league that my translator played in 20 minutes away from our school. I also bought a guitar from a shop and spent a chunk of time teaching others how to play the guitar – my students were friends of GHTA, our watchmen and even some Mamas! I loved these more personal experiences, and made some really good friends along the way.

3) GHTA - THE ORGANISATION

Monika runs GHTA, and she looks after her volunteers well. She gives us enough guidance so that we have an idea of what to expect in terms of volunteering and living in the volunteer house, but also gives us a lot of independence and freedom to do our own thing. I really liked this approach. Our volunteer house was comfortable and safe and had everything we needed (although electricity and water did turn off every once in a while, but this is a Tanzania wide issue). Monika is honest and a straight shooter, and she'll do her best to help you out. At the same time, it is also up to you to ask her questions and bring things to her attention if you need anything.

I also particularly liked how 100% of my volunteer fee went to supporting the school. The only paid staff are the Tanzanian translators, watchmen, cook and cleaner, and Monika really does try to run the school as efficiently as possible. And the volunteer fee is really very reasonable ($300 a week for the first 4 weeks, and $150 for every week after that).

What also impressed me was how donations to GHTA for particular purposes actually went to those particular purposes. (Eg. Sponsorship intended for supporting a past student's further education actually was used for the past student's further education). As a small organisation, it is easier to track these donations, and I feel comfortable donating money to GHTA because I know that nothing is lost in overhead costs, and will actually go to the 'cause' I ask for the funds to go to.

4) SUMMARY

Sorry for the essay, but I really did love my experience at GHTA and wanted to give you as much information as possible! In short, Moshi and these Mamas are a community that will benefit so much from your decision to volunteer there. It is a welcoming community, and if you immerse yourself into the experience, you will make such a difference and feel incredibly rewarded at the same time. I highly recommend volunteering with GHTA, and am happy to answer any questions you may have - just give me a shout.

As I've said before, this program is better suited to people who are comfortable being independent and proactive as it is a small organisation which does not have very standardised programs that other larger organisations may have, other than the teaching schedule I've written about above. However, personally this was not an issue for me.

Halina
Montreal
University of Ottawa

You'll Want to Go More Than Once!

Volunteering with GHTA was such an amazing experience - I wish I had stayed longer! The people living in Moshi were incredibly welcoming and Monika and the staff made me feel at home. I made friends who I still keep in touch with and we even organized weekend excursions, such as going on a safari. The program is well organized and designed so you really feel like you are making an impact in the community. I felt safe and secure both in the town of Moshi and in the volunteer house. I would recommend this volunteer experience wholeheartedly.

has91
Newcastle, Australia
University of Newcastle

A Big Adventure

I volunteered with GHTA a few years ago, but still remember the experience like it was last month. I was only eighteen when I visited, but felt supported and safe for the time I was there. The staff of the organisation were inspirational in themselves, their ambitions were so selfless. It was great to see real impact being made. Unlike other agencies, where you pay a lot without really seeing where your money is going (into bureaucrats pockets), this organisation gives back everything it gets. The teaching side of things was difficult to begin with, but with structured lesson plans, a translator and fellow volunteers to help you, it became easier. I came to really enjoy it. It was a big, incredible adventure. I met some people in Tanzania I will never ever forget, and I thank them for a wonderful experience, that was indeed life changing.

Easier puzzles.

Lisa
Bad Friedrichshall, Germany

First time volunteering abroad

I volunteered for GHTA at the end of 2009. It was not an ideal time to go as the school itself was closed for most of my time there (Christmas break). I think I taught English for about a week, when the school-reopened. The students were great, and very eager to learn. Despite the bad timing, Monika arranged for my friend and I to volunteer in one of the student's homes, where she ran a make-shift school for children. That was a truly great experience and I'm thankful for that opportunity. I still keep in touch with the woman and her daughters to this day.

I'm not a fan of paying to volunteer (had a bad experience in Kenya that has left me quite cynical!), but I support this cause. It's small, it's legit, and I would/have recommended this program to those interested in international volunteering.

I also want to add that Monika introduced us to a good friend of her's who operates a Kilimanjaro trekking company. I kept in touch with her and two years later, returned to Moshi and did the climb. I don't think I would have ever considered climbing Kilimanjaro had I not talked to her friend. And that climb was life-changing. So thank you GHTA!

The only negative part of my experience was being left alone in the house for a week (soon after arrival) without a working phone. If I hadn't had my friend with me I think I would have been extremely uncomfortable. But I'm naturally paranoid and a "worst case scenario" thinker, so maybe it was just me!

Marianne
Turvey, England
Newcastle University

Real hands-on involvement in empowering women in Moshi, Tanzania

This is a relatively small project, that delivers great results, and because it is small, you are completely involved from the moment you arrive. I taught English at the school, and was completely humbled by these women, and some men, who turned up every day to learn, always impeccably turned out despite the often abject conditions they were living in. My experience with these wonderful people, in this wonderful part of the world, gave me a very different perspective on life, and I hope, made me a better person. It was also loads of fun and I would highly recommend it to anyone!

While I agree that no programme is perfect, I cannot think of a single thing I would change.

Sara
Queen's University

Such a fulfilling experience!

My first encounter with GHTA was when I volunteered as a teacher in the summer of 2011. I had participated in other international volunteer projects in the past but I was extremely excited about the opportunity to apply and share some of the knowledge I had gained throughout my business degree with the students studying business at GHTA. I was also thrilled that all of my volunteer fees would have a direct impact on the community in Moshi. During my time in Tanzania I experienced so many unforgettable moments. Monika ensures that volunteers have a fulfilling and diverse experience by providing opportunities to teach, help with the children’s program and attend home visits.

Tanzania is absolutely beautiful and the strength and warmth of the people is extraordinary. If you are looking for a meaningful volunteer experience with a direct and sustainable impact, GHTA is the place for you!

goaroundtheworldnow
Ottawa

I will definitely return

I had an amazing time teaching at GHTA. I never taught before and I was a bit hesitant to teach women who were older than me. But they made my experience unforgettable. They came to school early in the morning to sweep the ground, smiled, said hello to me, always mispronounced my name :-), they invited me to their home, they wanted to learn so badly. I understood for the first time what a privilege we have in the West to get free or affordable education. These women would do anything to study. Some came for an interview several times until they were accepted. They are so determined and eager to learn. They were truly a pleasure to meet and to learn from. I learned more from them and from living at the GHTA house, talking to Monika about life in Tanzania and having a chance to visit neighbourhoods I would never have a chance to visit as a tourist... than I ever expected.
It is a valuable, hands on experience that I highly recommend and I hope to come back next year again. My only wish is I could have stayed longer.

Wandering
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
University of Waterloo

Empowering Women - I Left a Piece of my Heart in Tanzania

I am writing this review after my SECOND volunteer experience at GHTA. I cannot possibly say enough about the hearts and souls that drive this organization, nor the direct impact (which you can see while you are there) on the local women and community.
The practical stuff...the first time I volunteered at GHTA I had never before travelled solo across the world to volunteer in a developing country. Monika, the GHTA staff and volunteers made me feel at home and even now I think of Moshi, Tanzania as a second home. They provided support, answered questions, made recommendations, helped me arrange experiences and helped me gain confidence to navigate around on my own. The house is well cared for, the accommodations very clean and comfortable, the food is made with love by Margret, and you get lots of support as you become a teacher. The NGO is small, but that also means that the funds go directly to the program and it's participants.
The heart...I have been so greatly impacted by my experience at GHTA and the people in Tanzania. Even though I was there as a teacher, I feel I learned so much...about myself, what is important, honouring the experiences of others, the complexity of social issues, the resiliency of spirit and what amazing places GHTA, Moshi and Tanzania all are! (oh...and I can also piece together bits of conversation in Swahili!) I loved my teaching time everyday, I loved playing with the local kids in the afternoon (we made playdough, goo and played lots of games), I loved exploring on the weekends and I loved spending time with the students, other volunteers and Tanzanian staff.
There are lots of places that want your money and time. I have no regrets giving mine to GHTA. I suspect I will go back again soon! So, I can recommend GHTA without any hesitation! You will get to help the women of Tanzania gain the skills they need, learn about a different part of the world, experience the culture and meet other phenomenal volunteers from around the world. Maybe you will leave a piece of your heart behind as I did.

I would love to be able to spend more time with the students.

Sophia
Sydney
University of Newcastle

An experience I'll never forget

Volunteering at GHTA was incredibly special experience for me.

The students are so eager to learn and truly appreciate your time. Teaching was such a new experience so I was nervous, but I had an ex-student as my translator who was by my side every lesson. There was also a curriculum which was a fantastic guide.

Fridays was home visit day- this was my favourite day as you got to meet the students family, get quality time to get to know them better and really get an understanding of the local culture.

The volunteer house was great, I always felt safe and it was fun living with the other volunteers. I would spend weekends doing different activities which was always easy to organise. I went camping, coffee tour, local markets and even visited a Maasai village!

Monika (GHTA founder) is an inspirational woman and I felt privileged to be part of of such a great project. She is passionate and totally committed to GHTA.

I still get very emotional when I reflect on my experiences at GHTA. While I feel worlds away now that I'm back at home, I hold onto those memories that will last a life time.

I have no critical feedback.

If your looking for a hands on experience with a grass roots organisation this is the one!

Monika happily provides information and I think she even offers to Skype if you want to meet her and get a tour of the house and classrooms.

TCard

First Time Volunteer Abroad

I had the opportunity to volunteer with GHTA after graduating from university. I had spent a few months researching different organizations, and was turned off by the large size and high costs often associated with volunteering. GHTA was recommended to me by a friend, and it was the perfect fit. I was put in direct communication with the founder and executive director, Monika Fox. She was so wonderful and helpful from the moment I first inquired about GHTA, up to the day I left Moshi. My experience teaching was amazing. The small size of the organization allowed me to really get involved with every aspect of the school. I felt like I was given plenty of direction, but my opinions were also highly valued. The students were so dedicated, driven, and excited to be in school. Every day was a new experience, and although I was there to teach, the students were eager to share their experiences and culture with the volunteers. Home visits were also arranged once a week with a different student from class. These were a great way to really get to know an individual student, and experience first hand what life is like in Tanzania. No two home visits were the same. Finally, working side by side with the founder and executive director of a nonprofit is an invaluable experience. There is nothing like it. I was able to see how dedicated Monika is to this organization, and how her passion for education and women's equality translates into her work. Give a Heart to Africa is a truly unique and inspiring organization, and I feel lucky to be a part of that. I highly recommend this organization to anyone looking for a new and wonderful organization.

Stephanie
Melbourne, Australia
Monash University

GHTA has my heart.

I always struggle to put my experience at Give a Heart to Africa into words. I spent two months volunteering with this very special organisation and I cannot express enough how important those two months are to me and how much I miss being in Moshi.
As a teacher I was overwhelmed at how much the students loved learning and coming to class. We shared language, culture and laughter everyday and I feel as though I was able to give many of them the opportunity to improve their skills and gain confidence in themselves. As learners, the students gave me an experience that has had a significant impact on my teaching. As friends, they gave me a warmth that stays with me still, and I believe always will.
At GHTA I felt supported and safe 100% of the time and I would recommend anyone to go there. I loved meeting and working with my fellow volunteers, all of whom were interesting, gorgeous people. From my perspective, GHTA is making a very positive contribution to the community and meeting its goals to empower women of Moshi. I can't wait to be at GHTA again at some point in the future and hope that many other volunteers do the same.

There's really nothing I would change. Obviously, larger classrooms would be ideal but the program itself works well.

Stephanie
Toronto

Rewarding volunteer experience

I had the opportunity to volunteer with Give a Heart to Africa after studying international development and graduating from university. I was looking for an opportunity to have a hands-on experience in Tanzania. I fortunately came across Give a Heart to Africa in my efforts to find an organization to volunteer with. Unlike the others that I found, Give a Heart to Africa was a perfect fit for me because all of my volunteer fees went directly to the cause, rather than holding up administrative costs (as large-scale organizations tend to have).
Even more than that though, Give a Heart to Africa gave me the experience of directly working with the people that I wanted to help. I had the pleasure of meeting such incredible women, who touched my life in more ways than I touched theirs, I'm sure.
I also worked alongside other volunteers who were as passionate and open-minded about education, women's rights and learning about a new culture and way of life.
As this was my first over-seas experience, I was a bit nervous and didn't know what to expect. But everyone at Give a Heart to Africa was so supportive and any worries I had went away as soon as I landed and met the great team.

I highly recommend Give a Heart to Africa to any volunteer who is passionate about making a difference in this world.

I would not change a thing about my experience or the program. I have only positive feedback to give and I am open to receiving any questions or concerns from any prospective volunteers who are interested to learn more.

alang047
Ontario

Amazing Volunteer Experience

I volunteered with GHTA after graduating from university. I was looking for a volunteer opportunity that would allow me to make a direct and positive impact in a developing country, and GHTA was the perfect match. You are able to connect with the students, learn their stories, and help them to achieve their goals. The school is a wonderful environment, in a great city. All of the volunteers live and work together solidifying their bond, and making GHTA a positive social experience as well. Monika is a wonderful resource who ensures that your time at GHTA is safe, fun and rewarding. Definitely consider GHTA if you are looking to volunteer abroad.

Alex

Go to Tanzania

Whether you are an experienced traveller, international development student or even a first time volunteer, Give a Heart to Africa is an incredible organization to work with. Monika runs an amazing school for adults who are truly striving to better their situation. In every classroom you will be building personal connections and interacting with students who have an unbelievable desire and dedication to learning. These students will show you what it really means to take nothing for granted. This organization also encourages and promotes friendship and cultural exchanges with the students. As a result, you will learn just as much as you teach during this experience.
Monika and her staff are incredibly welcoming, hospitable, and helpful. Working for a smaller organization allows you to witness what really goes into making projects like this work. You understand your role more fully and I believe you build stronger connections with the organization's staff, your fellow volunteers and the students.
Tanzania is a beautiful country, filled with beautiful people and this is a beautiful organization. Do not hesitate to volunteer with Give a Heart to Africa.

Anne
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Hollins University

Incredible Experience for a Volunteer

GHTA delivered everything I wanted in a volunteer experience: a beautiful location that was neither too remote nor too urban, helping adult women in a world that undervalues them, housing with your fellow volunteers, safety and reasonable cost. Monika makes you feel a part of a family and is an effective school director, where every dollar goes directly to the school's mission unlike many volunteer programs. Tanzania is an incredible place to visit and the location is hard to beat. Plus the students: you really get to know women of Africa at GHTA. I strongly recommend this program!

Jenny
Antwerp, Belgium
University of Bristol

Perfect Volunteer Experience

I spent months searching for a place to volunteer in East Africa and kept coming back to GHTA, because of the variety of the program and the fact that all my money was going directly to the project.

I could not have made a better choice!

From the moment I was met at the airport to my departure almost six months later I had the most incredible experience. The highlights were: teaching the women - English four mornings a week - and building up a relationship with them; the Friday morning visits to the students' homes- sometimes a 40-50 minute journey on foot or by dala dala into the Kilimanjaro foothills; making new friends with the project workers and volunteers; and the variety of things to do - teaching adults, working with their kids, making home visits, helping at the women's co-op, learning Swahili, and becoming familiar with Moshi and African culture.

For me the challenges were few, as Monika, the project leader is so supportive and does her utmost to make the volunteer experience a rewarding one. Getting used to watching my step all the time so I didn't twist my ankle in one of the many potholes on the Moshi streets was one and having to take a taxi after dark was perhaps another. Though the project does have a very reliable taxi driver!
There are periods when the water or electricity is turned off, but it's something you quickly get used to and learn to live with. Some of our best evening were spent chatting with the volunteers in candlelight.

The project is very well organized and targeted at people who really need support. All the Tanzanians who work at, or for GHTA, are past students. When students graduate some of them are offered a place in the Women's Co-op, whilst for others sponsorship is sought for continued education or business support. You really feel a part of an organization that is changing women's lives.

GHTA is a diamond among NGO's and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

More space and bigger classrooms would enhance the program. However, the very best is made of the facilities available.

JTVT1211
Boston, Massachusetts
College of the Holy Cross

Can't Wait to Volunteer at GHTA Again

I volunteered at GHTA twice in the last 12 months. It was such an amazing experience teaching the students that I returned for their graduation. It's hands on volunteering where you get to know the students and learn about Tanzanian culture first hand.The volunteer house is a comfortable,western style house in a safe area. You teach 4 days a week and there is plenty of time on the weekends to check out the spectacular sites in the area: Mt. Kilimanjaro, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti National Park, Lake Manyara, Zanzibar. Can't wait to go back to GHTA.

I wouldn't change anything about Give A Heart to Africa. It is what all volunteer organizations should aspire to be like.

travel4fun
Seattle
Washington State University- Vancouver

My time at GHTA

I taught English to adult women. It was an amazing and rewarding experience. Highly recommend it to anybody who wants to volunteer abroad. The students were really good to me, very welcoming, didn't mind if I made a mistake. Visiting them in their home every Friday was the highlight of my experience. It was such a great way to get to know them.
The organization is very transparent so you can see where your money goes which was very important to me also.
Moshi is quite safe and there was always something to do on the weekend.

Nothing about the program. It is really good. The only thing is the animal noises at night and the security guides playing their radio early in the morning :-)

Give a Heart To Africa (GHTA) is a grass roots volunteer organization located in Moshi, Tanzania. Our aim is to empower adult women via education and entrepreneurship. We offer them a one year course in English, Business and Vocational skills. All 3 subjects are taught