Volunteer in East Africa with Global Volunteers for one to three weeks! Volunteers have the opportunity to help local communities improve their livelihoods by teaching, constructing and repairing local schools, and promoting healthy habits. This is a great chance for all types of volunteers (individuals, families, and groups) to assist in the community development of a rural village in Tanzania.
- Teach English, math, science, and geography in elementary and middle schools.
- Help with homework and study skills.
- Help with local public health campaigns.
- Set an example for good health, nutrition, and hygiene habits like washing hands.
- Support education of young girls.
- Establish and maintain gardens.
- Build, paint, and repair facilities like classrooms and dormitories.
- Work with pregnant and new mothers and their children.
- Immerse yourself in Tanzanian culture.
- Lodge comfortably in Global Volunteers' guesthouse in spacious rooms with electricity, hot and cold water, and private bathrooms.
- Work alongside Tanzanians on groundbreaking initiatives to support children and families who need it most.
- All logistics (except for international airfare) arranged by our staff, so you can focus on volunteering.
- Global Volunteers' policy: safety trumps everything. Volunteers are well taken care of by their Team Leader while on a service program.
If you get off the beaten track and follow the dusty, bumpy East African roads, you will find traditional villages where life is lived in startling simplicity. Entire communities celebrate a birth, applaud a youngster’s passage into adulthood, cheer a new married couple, and mourn a death. Here you will experience a way of life vastly different from your own, help a community struggling to care for its children, and hopefully learn more about yourself along the way.
The needs are great in rural Tanzania. Life is a hard, day-to-day struggle to survive off the land. Medical supplies are inadequate, food and nutrition are too often insufficient, and access to quality education is limited. The work of Global Volunteers in Tanzania, through the help of our volunteers and staff, supports these communities in achieving a better quality of life.
Global Volunteers’ program is located in the highlands of south central Tanzania, about a two-hour drive from Iringa. Volunteers serve in a variety of capacities from supporting pregnant women to teaching math and sciences to secondary school students. As a short-term volunteer in Tanzania with Global Volunteers, you can make a difference in the lives of Tanzanian families.