Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Uganda from $280

Classroom Photo
Classroom Photo
Pose with a view
Pose with a view

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Uganda and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 7 volunteer project options in Uganda and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Uganda, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Uganda program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $270 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 15 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Uganda each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

I originally googled 'volunteer trips in Africa' and IVHQ was by far the cheapest. It's around $150 per week which includes food, accommodation and transfers to placement.

Ross

Uganda IVHQ review

The trip was brilliantly organised and the staff, both prior to arrival and the placement staff, were more than willing to help and answer queries/questions. The trip itself was incredibly involved and great fun, however it should be made known to volunteers going to Uganda that there are now 2 placement houses (we weren't told until arrival). Teaching facilities were basic but the people at the placement and in the general public were very friendly and welcoming. The food was surprising and different to local food in Scotland and meals were prepared at the house by a member of staff. Weekends were spent exploring the capital city and other small towns, as well as going on a safari (and seeing 2 lions right beside the vehicle). Overall the trip was fantastic and I would recommend IVHQ to first time volunteers.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Ugale, which I had never heard of prior to the trip. It consisted of flour and water mashed together.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Ross, Thanks for your review on the Uganda program. I'm glad to hear that you had a rewarding and enjoyable experience on your project. The effort you put in is appreciated by the community. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Claire - IVHQ Uganda Program Manager

Anastasiya

How can I just write a review on IVHQ...

How can I just write a review on IVHQ when this program gave me the best experience of my life? I went to Uganda for medical program for a week. The week is all I could take from work. But during this week I got so many emotions, that one can live a whole life and never get so many. Everything from the application process through the last day was very easy and smooth. Throughout the program we had people available to help us at all times. The house that we lived at was so clean. Juli who cooked and cleaned for us did such an amazing job. I am privileged to meet the people of Uganda and work at the clinic besides some of them. I would definitely recommend this program to everyone who wants to make their time on earth count...
I enjoyed the time with other volunteers. Listen their life stories and how the cake to volunteering.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
People of Uganda are happy so little that they have...
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Anastasiya, Thanks for your review on the Uganda program. I'm glad to hear that you have a rewarding and enjoyable experience on your project. The effort you put in is appreciated by the community. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Claire - IVHQ Uganda Program Manager

Alyssa

Best Program!

I absolutely loved my experience with IVHQ for both my medical in Uganda program and sports development program in South Africa!
I loved it so much that I booked a trip back to South Africa 13 days after being home!
I loved being in Uganda because it was an experience that I could not fully prepare myself for and that was the best because I really got an in-depth exposure to the culture there. The locals are some of thee nicest people I’ve ever met! The kids are always giving hugs! ❤️ I can’t wait to go back but for longer time!
South Africa was incredible. There’s SO much history and culture involved and the local volunteer program that IVHQ works with really helped us get in-depth exposure and knowledge to it which really helped understanding our placements and population ❤️
I 100% recommend IVHQ!
Thank you for all that you do IVHQ!

Go in with an open mind and always embrace everything that comes your way.
Engage with other volunteers, they’ll be your best support system and life long friends :)
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alyssa, I am so happy to hear that you had such an incredible experience on IVHQ's Uganda South Africa program's. We are really looking forward to having you return to South Africa and volunteering with us again! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.

Yvonne

Teaching at Hebron Junior School, Entebbe, Uganda

My daughter and I had the most thrilling, rewarding and truly memorable experience on the teaching programme. The staff and children at the school could not have been more excited to see us every morning and our efforts were truly appreciated. The staff taking care of us, with Volunteer to Uganda, were wonderful in every way, taking care of us, ensuring, not only our placements were successful but also our time off provided opportunities to experience something of the beauty of the country. I would totally recommend IVHQ and the teaching placement in Uganda - it has changed our lives for the better!

A long-term English scheme of work for volunteers to pick up from one another and provide continuity is something I am working towards. The impact would be evaluated and rolled out to other schools if successful in raising levels of pupil progress. In terms of volunteer programme, I cannot think of anything to improve the experience as our project workers were incredible.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your experience with others. I'm glad to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed every aspect of your time in Uganda and I'm sure you guys would have created lifelong memories and friendships. I wish you all the best and thanks for being a great IVHQ volunteer. ^William - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Ashley

The Opportunity of a Lifetime in Uganda

Getting the opportunity to volunteer through IVHQ in Uganda for 3 weeks was the absolute experience of a lifetime. I had taken out so much more than I had ever expected. Getting to work in the HIV awareness program, Monday through Friday I was so blessed to get to go from village to village educating people of what HIV is, how it is spread and providing support and counseling to the individuals who tested positive. On top of that we were able to test communities to let them know what their results were to take the necessary steps immediately after. When we were not volunteering we really had the opportunity to immerse ourself in the bright and loving Ugandan culture. We went to numerous soccer games, safaris, boda boda tours through the capital, white water rafting and sunset boat cruises on the Nile. Personally the most important and life changing part I experienced was the relationships I made. Living, volunteering, eating and exploring with the other volunteers for almost a month gave me some of my best friends. These are people that I still communicate with regularly now being home and are planning our next trip back to Uganda with IVHQ. The individuals at placement were some of the most loving and informational people I had ever met. The people that the volunteers and I had the strongest connections with was the staff. We were so blessed to have the most loving, caring and protective staff. From the full time security, cook, grounds keeper, drivers and activity coordinators, they were all exceptional. We truly got to create friendships with them and learn so much about the depths of Uganda and its people. Learning their stories and sharing ours creating such an open and devoting environment in our volunteer house. Volunteering with IVHQ in Uganda was the best decision I have ever made and am so grateful to now be able to call that place and people a new home away from home.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your awesome experience. It's great to hear that you have made friendships which will last a lifetime and that this experience was the best decision you have ever made. Ugandan people are some of the most caring and friendliest people and I'm glad to experience this first hand. Thanks again for going above and beyond during your time in Uganda :) ^Will - IVHQ Uganda Program Manager

Maria

AMAZING EXPERIENCE IN UGANDA

I would definitely do this experience again. I am so happy to have chosen IVHQ, I felt in good hands since the beginning. I've appreciated the quick reply to my emails and the total availability of the staff. everyone was extremely friendly. Food was delicious and freshly prepared. Projects were organized properly and safely. I've been provided training before my departure, which I've found extremely useful.
Honestly I've loved every single moment of my volunteer experience, which is absolutely unforgettable. I would suggest everyone to volunteer with IVHQ!

Everything was perfect to me!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Maria - I'm glad you enjoyed your program and it's exciting to hear you would participate again! Thank you so much for the amazing work you did, and we hope to have you join us again in the future. ^Will - IVHQ Uganda Program Manager

Jane

IVHQ Uganda /Childcare program

Get ready for the experience of a lifetime! I did a lot of research before starting the program to make sure the IVHQ volunteer program was really making an impact in the community, was transparent with fees and had locally driven goals. IVHQ met all of these expectations and more. With so many options it can be overwhelming, but the IVHQ website and staff made it easy to navigate through the process. One thing I also appreciate is the several programs to choose from in the country you decide to volunteer. This means they want people with specific skills for each project. Having this kind of programming is great because you actually add value to your community and leave them with skills and assistance they need for the future. Building Capacity, not dependency!
My Program (Child Care In Uganda)-This program is incredible! Depending on the month you attend you can teach lessons, read to them and have fun activities. Also participate in the care of their daily living, things such as bathing and feeding. I still can’t really describe the joy you feel when they come running towards you with open arms excited to see you. It is a beautiful experience, but it also takes hard work. It is also important to remember each volunteer can put as much effort as they want into the childcare center. Examples (Work in the garden they have, clean and maintain the center, think of long-term sustainably for the center).Really put your time to good use. Think about how your specific skills can benefit the center long term.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jane, Thanks for your insightful review. It sounds like you had an awesome time during your 2 weeks on the program and I can tell you put a lot of effort into your childcare placement. I'm glad that IVHQ could be a part of your amazing experience and hopefully you will be joining us again in the near future. Thanks again for being an awesome volunteer. ^Will - IVHQ Uganda Program Manager

Laura

HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Uganda

My first mistake with volunteering in Uganda was not staying for longer. I absolutely loved living in the volunteer staff with the other volunteers and amazing local staff. I made instant friends and was able to explore and experience the local culture and tourist attractions.

The HIV/AIDS Awareness program was one of my favourite volunteer programs I have been apart of. We were lucky enough to do a variety of projects with the local community, including home visits, school educational awareness, HIV testing in remote villages and working at the local medical clinic.

Booking this volunteer trip was one of the best decisions of my life. I went to Uganda with an open mind and heart and they were instantly filled with great memories and adventures.

I documented my trip daily on my instagram page @laurapaigephotography for more details.

No suggestions.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Laura, It's awesome to hear that you enjoyed your experience with IVHQ in Uganda! I love the culture in Uganda and I'm glad you were able to experience a few of the amazing things Uganda has to offer. The HIV/AIDS Support project is definitely an awesome project and as a result of the assistance the placements have received from volunteers, it has allowed them to set up amazing outreach campaigns which benefit a wider group of people. I'm glad to hear that your mind, heart and camera are filled with memories and hopefully you can add to these on your next trip to Uganda :) Thanks again for volunteering with IVHQ! ^Willie - IVHQ Uganda Program Manager

Elena

Volunteering Uganda

Twenty weeks in Uganda were amazing. The placements are fun, staff in the volunteer house is very friendly, food is delicious. There are lots of things to do in and around Kampala, especially the boda boda tour is good to get a first impression of Kampala, get a good overview and see all the sights. Also there are nice clubs, bars and restaurants in Kampala. Traveling to other places in Uganda like Jinja, Sipi falls, and so on is mostly cheap, easy and pretty safe

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Elena, Thanks for sharing! We are stoked to hear that you had an amazing time on the program. It has been incredible to have you volunteer with us or 20 weeks and we thank you for recommending IVHQ!
Will - IVHQ Uganda Program Manager

Tanja

The Pearl of Africa stole my heart

It has always been my dream to experience the real Africa. That's when I decided that a volunteer program would probably be the best way to do so.
I was welcomed by the most loving and giving people in Uganda. This country has so much more to offer than many people think. You'll never find yourself walking through the streets without hearing the sound of happy music from every corner. You'll never end a day at school without looking into 50 sparkly eyes and smiley faces. You'll find out that there are simply no problems that can't be solved. You'll be left breathless by the beautiful landscapes and realize that the country truly lives up to its name.
This summer has turned me into a much more relaxing and grateful person. I learned how to appreciate the simple things such as running water, a flushing toilet or a warm meal every day because there are way too many people living in Uganda that have to do without those privileges. I've also come to know that I just don't need all the things I own. One day, a starving kid offered me the only egg it had and probably the only food it would eat the same day. That's when I realized that there's ALWAYS something you can give and you should use every single opportunity to do so.
I have no words to describe how much I enjoyed the whole experience and how much I miss everything about Uganda. There’s not much I wouldn’t do to just be stuck again in the Kampala traffic for a little while..
See you soon Uganda!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tanja, Thanks for sharing this awesome review! We love that you experienced kindness and beauty while in Uganda, and it is inspiring to hear that the program helped you become a more relaxed and grateful individual. Thanks again for sharing and we hope you will join us again in the future!

Aimee Leduc
Aimee

IVHQ Uganda Medical Program

As my first time volunteering abroad I felt extremely supported through the application and preparation process. My emails were answered in a timely fashion and all of the staff were very pleasant to deal with. Upon arrival into Uganda, I was picked up at the airport and taken to the volunteer house where I was given a brief tour and settled to bed. Orientation covered everything needed and I was given every opportunity to ask questions.
My placement at the health center was amazing. It truly was such a rewarding experience and truly made me feel fulfilled. Interacting with the local people was at times difficult, because of the language barrier, but the language lessons provided by IVHQ were very helpful.

I felt very supported throughout my time in Uganda. IVHQ arranged everything, making transport to and from placement easy. We volunteered until about 2pm every day so I felt that I had a good amount of free time to explore the country and town. IVHQ also gave us the opportunity to arrange tours on the weekend if we wanted to view other places in Uganda. At the end of my placement, one of the staff members even drove me to the airport. Working with IVHQ was extremely easy and I can't wait to plan another trip with them sometime soon. I never wanted to leave Uganda!! It was so amazing and so rewarding and the people were absolutely lovely!

The only improvement I can say would be to inform medical volunteers to bring Scissors, tape, and a penlight!!! Also, remember to bring gloves for yourself, pens, alcohol swabs, and cotton balls. I was always looking for pens and scissors!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Aimee, Thank you for your great review! We are thrilled to hear that you had an amazing and rewarding time in Uganda, as we were so happy to have you join us on the Medical project. Thank you for making the most of your time on the program by pushing through the language barrier at your placement and exploring Uganda in your spare time. Thanks also for the practical tips for future medical volunteers. We would love to have you join us again in the future.

Meredith

Life changing experience

My time in Uganda was impactful and life changing. As a psychologist I have worked with many "down and out" people, but I challenged myself to volunteer in the HIV support community. The story that sticks out the most was arriving at placement to see a little boy sitting on the floor crying because his foot was cut and getting infected. Mama was not aware of educated on how serious that was and didn't clean it or take him to hospital. I took an antibacterial wipe and cleaned it and wrapped a string around his little foot and then walked with them to local hospital. He needed a tetanus shot and the wound was too infected for stitches but the nurse cleaned it thoroughly and bandaged it and gave antibiotics. She said had we not brought him he could have eventually lost his leg. I paid the $20,000 shillings (about $6 USD) and bought him a lollipop as he was young and scared and in pain. He wil be ok and I will never ever forget them.

Only improvement would be to shorten orientation day to have more time at the placement as information doesn't not really require an entire days worth of time.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Meredith, Thank you for sharing this amazing story from your time on the program in Uganda. It has been a pleasure to have you on the program and we would love to have you volunteer with us again.

Christian

Best 6 Weeks of my Life

Adventure. Impacting. Rewarding. Fun. All these words sum up my time in Uganda.
I was on the Sports Education Project in Uganda for 6 weeks as part of my gap year. All I can say is the kids are even better to work with than you can imagine. I was teaching kids around the ages of 9-14, and for me it was the perfect age as we could talk proficiently, play sports at a good level and have mad banter!
Aside from the volunteering aspect, Uganda is a fun country. It felt like I was on a big adventure 24/7, I went on safaris, rafted/bungeed on the Nile and met a ton of people from all over the world. I'd highly recommend volunteering at some point in your life and I found the IVHQ program affordable, genuine, and I felt I had actually made a difference during my time.
The staff at V2U (local Ugandan organisation who IVHQ partners with) were amazing, always going out of their way for the volunteers. The food is good, they provide 3 meals a day and the house you stay in is superb-one big place for all the volunteers, so you get to make a lot of close friends.
Highly recommend this program, and I'm sure I'll be back in the future.

Honestly nothing, I couldn't have asked for a better 6 weeks.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Christian, Thanks for your recommendation! We are so glad that you found the accommodation superb, the food good, and made close friends while on the program in Uganda. More importantly, we are thrilled that you also found the program impacting, rewarding and fun! These are words we love to hear. Thanks for being a great volunteer and can’t wait to have you back!

Tom

The staff!

I couldn't put a story down on paper without mentioning how fantastic and kind the staff of V2U are! They are so warm, generous, kind-hearted and friendly, they quickly became my Ugandan family and I could not have felt more welcomed and looked after. I would strongly recommend this programme and place to anyone thinking a bkjt volunteering with V2U - I will definitely be coming back!! Thank you for everything!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks Tom! It is awesome to hear that you found your Ugandan family warm, generous, kind-hearted and friendly. We can’t wait to have you back with IVHQ!

Eva

Being a medical volunteer in Uganda...

When I first applied for the program, I didn't really know what to expect. I was just attracted by the call of Africa and the desire of doing something useful with my free time. Once I arrived I was captured by the beauty of the country and it's citizens and realised I was in the right place. The staff of V2U were really welcoming and provided us with anything we needed. At placement, we immersed ourselves in everyday life of a Ugandan nurse/doctor and helped where we could. I had never thought I would be giving vaccinations to more than 300 school children in one morning, or witnessing a delivery taking hours after midnight, having hardly anything more than our hands to get the baby out safely. I talked to HIV patients, distributed condoms in a local village, visited some precious elderly women that were desperately in need of the helping hand of our centre and most of all, I was touched every day by the generosity and true hospitality of every Ugandan I met during my stay. Should I explain any further I didn't ever want to leave after my 3 weeks?

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Eva, Thanks for your beautiful review. We think you are an amazing volunteer and it has been a pleasure to have you on the program. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.