Affordable Volunteer Programs in Uganda from $270

IVHQ offers a variety of highly affordable volunteer opportunities in Uganda. Join programs for anywhere between 1 week and 24 weeks. Based in the town of Mutungo, which is located 15 kilometers from the capital city of Kampala, volunteers can assist on a range of community-driven projects.Volunteers are accommodated alongside other international volunteers in a dormitory-style volunteer houses in the Kitende area, approximately 45 minutes outside of Kampala City.

IVHQ Volunteer Programs available in Thailand:

• Teaching
  • Childcare
  • Medical
  • Special Education
  • Special Needs Care
  • HIV/AIDS Support
  • Women’s Education

• Programs available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of each month
  • Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Highly affordable program fees from $270 for 1 week
  • Community-driven projects focused on supporting local needs and delivering sustainable positive impacts
  • Superior support services both pre-departure and while volunteering
  • Free online volunteer training for all IVHQ volunteers
  • Between 5 and 15 volunteers start in Uganda each month
  • Weekends are free to explore Uganda with fellow volunteers - go white water rafting, visit game safaris or one of the beautiful national parks.

I originally googled 'volunteer trips in Africa' and IVHQ was by far the cheapest. It's around $150 per week which includes food, accommodation and transfers to placement.

Maria

AMAZING EXPERIENCE IN UGANDA

I would definitely do this experience again. I am so happy to have chosen IVHQ, I felt in good hands since the beginning. I've appreciated the quick reply to my emails and the total availability of the staff. everyone was extremely friendly. Food was delicious and freshly prepared. Projects were organized properly and safely. I've been provided training before my departure, which I've found extremely useful.
Honestly I've loved every single moment of my volunteer experience, which is absolutely unforgettable. I would suggest everyone to volunteer with IVHQ!

Everything was perfect to me!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Maria - I'm glad you enjoyed your program and it's exciting to hear you would participate again! Thank you so much for the amazing work you did, and we hope to have you join us again in the future. ^Will - IVHQ Uganda Program Manager

Safari Uganda
Estefany

IVHQ Uganda /Childcare program

Get ready for the experience of a lifetime! I did a lot of research before starting the program to make sure the IVHQ volunteer program was really making an impact in the community, was transparent with fees and had locally driven goals. IVHQ met all of these expectations and more. With so many options it can be overwhelming, but the IVHQ website and staff made it easy to navigate through the process. One thing I also appreciate is the several programs to choose from in the country you decide to volunteer. This means they want people with specific skills for each project. Having this kind of programming is great because you actually add value to your community and leave them with skills and assistance they need for the future. Building Capacity, not dependency!
My Program (Child Care In Uganda)-This program is incredible! Depending on the month you attend you can teach lessons, read to them and have fun activities. Also participate in the care of their daily living, things such as bathing and feeding. I still can’t really describe the joy you feel when they come running towards you with open arms excited to see you. It is a beautiful experience, but it also takes hard work. It is also important to remember each volunteer can put as much effort as they want into the childcare center. Examples (Work in the garden they have, clean and maintain the center, think of long-term sustainably for the center).Really put your time to good use. Think about how your specific skills can benefit the center long term.

If you would like more information or behind the scene pictures
Please follow my Instagram @estefanytravels and Facebook Page: Estefany Gomez
I will be more than happy to answer any questions

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Estefany, Thanks for your insightful review. It sounds like you had an awesome time during your 2 weeks on the program and I can tell you put a lot of effort into your childcare placement. I'm glad that IVHQ could be a part of your amazing experience and hopefully you will be joining us again in the near future. Thanks again for being an awesome volunteer. ^Will - IVHQ Uganda Program Manager

Laura

HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Uganda

My first mistake with volunteering in Uganda was not staying for longer. I absolutely loved living in the volunteer staff with the other volunteers and amazing local staff. I made instant friends and was able to explore and experience the local culture and tourist attractions.

The HIV/AIDS Awareness program was one of my favourite volunteer programs I have been apart of. We were lucky enough to do a variety of projects with the local community, including home visits, school educational awareness, HIV testing in remote villages and working at the local medical clinic.

Booking this volunteer trip was one of the best decisions of my life. I went to Uganda with an open mind and heart and they were instantly filled with great memories and adventures.

I documented my trip daily on my instagram page @laurapaigephotography for more details.

No suggestions.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Laura, It's awesome to hear that you enjoyed your experience with IVHQ in Uganda! I love the culture in Uganda and I'm glad you were able to experience a few of the amazing things Uganda has to offer. The HIV/AIDS Support project is definitely an awesome project and as a result of the assistance the placements have received from volunteers, it has allowed them to set up amazing outreach campaigns which benefit a wider group of people. I'm glad to hear that your mind, heart and camera are filled with memories and hopefully you can add to these on your next trip to Uganda :) Thanks again for volunteering with IVHQ! ^Willie - IVHQ Uganda Program Manager

Elena

Volunteering Uganda

Twenty weeks in Uganda were amazing. The placements are fun, staff in the volunteer house is very friendly, food is delicious. There are lots of things to do in and around Kampala, especially the boda boda tour is good to get a first impression of Kampala, get a good overview and see all the sights. Also there are nice clubs, bars and restaurants in Kampala. Traveling to other places in Uganda like Jinja, Sipi falls, and so on is mostly cheap, easy and pretty safe

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Elena, Thanks for sharing! We are stoked to hear that you had an amazing time on the program. It has been incredible to have you volunteer with us or 20 weeks and we thank you for recommending IVHQ!
Will - IVHQ Uganda Program Manager

Tanja

The Pearl of Africa stole my heart

It has always been my dream to experience the real Africa. That's when I decided that a volunteer program would probably be the best way to do so.
I was welcomed by the most loving and giving people in Uganda. This country has so much more to offer than many people think. You'll never find yourself walking through the streets without hearing the sound of happy music from every corner. You'll never end a day at school without looking into 50 sparkly eyes and smiley faces. You'll find out that there are simply no problems that can't be solved. You'll be left breathless by the beautiful landscapes and realize that the country truly lives up to its name.
This summer has turned me into a much more relaxing and grateful person. I learned how to appreciate the simple things such as running water, a flushing toilet or a warm meal every day because there are way too many people living in Uganda that have to do without those privileges. I've also come to know that I just don't need all the things I own. One day, a starving kid offered me the only egg it had and probably the only food it would eat the same day. That's when I realized that there's ALWAYS something you can give and you should use every single opportunity to do so.
I have no words to describe how much I enjoyed the whole experience and how much I miss everything about Uganda. There’s not much I wouldn’t do to just be stuck again in the Kampala traffic for a little while..
See you soon Uganda!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tanja, Thanks for sharing this awesome review! We love that you experienced kindness and beauty while in Uganda, and it is inspiring to hear that the program helped you become a more relaxed and grateful individual. Thanks again for sharing and we hope you will join us again in the future!

Aimee Leduc
Aimee

IVHQ Uganda Medical Program

As my first time volunteering abroad I felt extremely supported through the application and preparation process. My emails were answered in a timely fashion and all of the staff were very pleasant to deal with. Upon arrival into Uganda, I was picked up at the airport and taken to the volunteer house where I was given a brief tour and settled to bed. Orientation covered everything needed and I was given every opportunity to ask questions.
My placement at the health center was amazing. It truly was such a rewarding experience and truly made me feel fulfilled. Interacting with the local people was at times difficult, because of the language barrier, but the language lessons provided by IVHQ were very helpful.

I felt very supported throughout my time in Uganda. IVHQ arranged everything, making transport to and from placement easy. We volunteered until about 2pm every day so I felt that I had a good amount of free time to explore the country and town. IVHQ also gave us the opportunity to arrange tours on the weekend if we wanted to view other places in Uganda. At the end of my placement, one of the staff members even drove me to the airport. Working with IVHQ was extremely easy and I can't wait to plan another trip with them sometime soon. I never wanted to leave Uganda!! It was so amazing and so rewarding and the people were absolutely lovely!

The only improvement I can say would be to inform medical volunteers to bring Scissors, tape, and a penlight!!! Also, remember to bring gloves for yourself, pens, alcohol swabs, and cotton balls. I was always looking for pens and scissors!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Aimee, Thank you for your great review! We are thrilled to hear that you had an amazing and rewarding time in Uganda, as we were so happy to have you join us on the Medical project. Thank you for making the most of your time on the program by pushing through the language barrier at your placement and exploring Uganda in your spare time. Thanks also for the practical tips for future medical volunteers. We would love to have you join us again in the future.

Meredith

Life changing experience

My time in Uganda was impactful and life changing. As a psychologist I have worked with many "down and out" people, but I challenged myself to volunteer in the HIV support community. The story that sticks out the most was arriving at placement to see a little boy sitting on the floor crying because his foot was cut and getting infected. Mama was not aware of educated on how serious that was and didn't clean it or take him to hospital. I took an antibacterial wipe and cleaned it and wrapped a string around his little foot and then walked with them to local hospital. He needed a tetanus shot and the wound was too infected for stitches but the nurse cleaned it thoroughly and bandaged it and gave antibiotics. She said had we not brought him he could have eventually lost his leg. I paid the $20,000 shillings (about $6 USD) and bought him a lollipop as he was young and scared and in pain. He wil be ok and I will never ever forget them.

Only improvement would be to shorten orientation day to have more time at the placement as information doesn't not really require an entire days worth of time.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Meredith, Thank you for sharing this amazing story from your time on the program in Uganda. It has been a pleasure to have you on the program and we would love to have you volunteer with us again.

Christian

Best 6 Weeks of my Life

Adventure. Impacting. Rewarding. Fun. All these words sum up my time in Uganda.
I was on the Sports Education Project in Uganda for 6 weeks as part of my gap year. All I can say is the kids are even better to work with than you can imagine. I was teaching kids around the ages of 9-14, and for me it was the perfect age as we could talk proficiently, play sports at a good level and have mad banter!
Aside from the volunteering aspect, Uganda is a fun country. It felt like I was on a big adventure 24/7, I went on safaris, rafted/bungeed on the Nile and met a ton of people from all over the world. I'd highly recommend volunteering at some point in your life and I found the IVHQ program affordable, genuine, and I felt I had actually made a difference during my time.
The staff at V2U (local Ugandan organisation who IVHQ partners with) were amazing, always going out of their way for the volunteers. The food is good, they provide 3 meals a day and the house you stay in is superb-one big place for all the volunteers, so you get to make a lot of close friends.
Highly recommend this program, and I'm sure I'll be back in the future.

Honestly nothing, I couldn't have asked for a better 6 weeks.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Christian, Thanks for your recommendation! We are so glad that you found the accommodation superb, the food good, and made close friends while on the program in Uganda. More importantly, we are thrilled that you also found the program impacting, rewarding and fun! These are words we love to hear. Thanks for being a great volunteer and can’t wait to have you back!

Tom

The staff!

I couldn't put a story down on paper without mentioning how fantastic and kind the staff of V2U are! They are so warm, generous, kind-hearted and friendly, they quickly became my Ugandan family and I could not have felt more welcomed and looked after. I would strongly recommend this programme and place to anyone thinking a bkjt volunteering with V2U - I will definitely be coming back!! Thank you for everything!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks Tom! It is awesome to hear that you found your Ugandan family warm, generous, kind-hearted and friendly. We can’t wait to have you back with IVHQ!

Eva

Being a medical volunteer in Uganda...

When I first applied for the program, I didn't really know what to expect. I was just attracted by the call of Africa and the desire of doing something useful with my free time. Once I arrived I was captured by the beauty of the country and it's citizens and realised I was in the right place. The staff of V2U were really welcoming and provided us with anything we needed. At placement, we immersed ourselves in everyday life of a Ugandan nurse/doctor and helped where we could. I had never thought I would be giving vaccinations to more than 300 school children in one morning, or witnessing a delivery taking hours after midnight, having hardly anything more than our hands to get the baby out safely. I talked to HIV patients, distributed condoms in a local village, visited some precious elderly women that were desperately in need of the helping hand of our centre and most of all, I was touched every day by the generosity and true hospitality of every Ugandan I met during my stay. Should I explain any further I didn't ever want to leave after my 3 weeks?

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Eva, Thanks for your beautiful review. We think you are an amazing volunteer and it has been a pleasure to have you on the program. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Suprianto

Uganda IVHQ

It was my first time to Africa and I came with no expectations. I was greeted by a team of very warm and loving people who made me feel right at home. Even though it was only two and a half weeks, I felt so attached to Uganda and her people.
The liaison with Alexas Medical Centre was amazing. We contributed so much in terms of giving vaccinations, HIV testing and the out reach programs. I liked it because being busy means that most of our day was spent helping people which was the purpose of the volunteer.
It was interesting to see the level of healthcare given to people who came from vastly different social classes. It was heartbreaking to see that some people still have no proper access to basic requirements like shelter and water.
I will definitely try to find the time to come back and volunteer again and will recommend my friends and colleagues about this amazing program.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Suprianto, We are so happy to hear that you felt right at home on your program in Uganda. It was a pleasure to have you join us in helping to make a valuable contribution to the Alexas Medical Centre. Thanks for your recommendation and we hope to welcome your friends and colleagues onto an IVHQ program in the future.

Richard

One of the best experiences of my life!

I volunteered with V2U hoping to have a rewarding experience where I made a positive impact, however small, on the children in my placement. What I ended up having was not only a rewarding experience but also one of the most enjoyable three weeks of my life. The perfect placement, the friendly volunteers, the excellent V2U staff, the delicious traditional meals, the wide range of activities available to fill evenings and weekends, the wonderful Ugandan culture - it all combined to make an unforgettable experience. I was teaching abandoned/orphaned children between 3-5 years of age. Amazing children who despite their hardship were always smiling, laughing and willing to learn. A fantastic program!

I was lucky enough to be assigned a placement which I absolutely loved, met amazing volunteers who I formed great friendships with and got on well with all the staff, so for me it couldn't really have been much better.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Richard, It is great to hear that you had an unforgettable experience on the program in Uganda. It sounds like you had a really well rounded time and we are thrilled to have been able to help facilitate this for you. Thanks for being an amazing volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Hana

Bible stories in the school

I spent 6 weeks in Uganda. I was a teacher in Royal Nursery and Primary school. I had enough time to know all the children in the school. Many children were Christians, but there were also Muslims. We bought children Bibles to every class and we could read them stories. They really loved them and I was glad that I could share gospel to the children even to the Muslims. I also showed to the teacher how to study Bible stories so she can share them better. It was really blessed time. My country call itself Christian country, but we cannot do anything like this in normal classes at home.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Hana, Thanks for sharing. We are so please to hear that you enjoyed teaching the children at your placement in Uganda. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Jade

1 month medical in Uganda

Had the most amazing time in Uganda with IVHQ. I worked in Kajjansi Health Clinic for a month, and spend a few days in other clinics and an orphanage where the childcare-volunteers had their placement.
The placement itself was wonderful: We mainly did vaccinations and HIV-counseling. On thursday you go on outreach to little villages to give medical support to people who can't easily reach the hospital. There is also a maternity in the clinic. I was able to assist on circumcisions as well.
You mainly work during the mornings in the hospital (9 a.m. till 13 p.m.), so you can spend your afternoons doing whatever you want.
Visiting the children in Crystal, one of the orphanages where our childcare-volunteers are placed, is a nice way to spend the afternoon. You can just explore the local town or even go to Entebbe or Kampala.

You live in a house with a bunch of other volunteers, which gives you a great opportunity to make tons of new friends. Everybody wants to make the most of their time in Africa, so you are definitely in for some fun in your spare time. Volunteers to Uganda (the local organisation taking care of you) organizes an amazing 3-day safari, there is boda-boda-tour in Kampala, and Jinja is definitely worth a visit. There is a nice bar (King) very close to the house, so definitely pay that a visit for a taste of the amazing Ugandan beer, Nile.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jade, Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you made the most of your trip by exploring Uganda and getting stuck into the volunteer work. It has been great to have you as an IVHQer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Andy

Incredible experience thanks to IVHQ and V2U

On my quest to find a volunteer program I came across so many different options and sites. I didn't know which one was better or more trustworthy. IVHQ looked amazing but to be honest I was a bit concerned about how cheap it was. After seeing reviews on this site I felt comfortable with the program so I went for it and I am so glad I did.

The time I spent in Uganda was the best two weeks of my life. The people, the place, the kids (that I volunteered with) were all amazing. It seems a lot has been covered in other reviews though so I really want to share mostly about the staff members that made this trip so Incredible!

There were some complications with my work schedule so I had to switch programs a few time and Will McBride was extremely helpful. He was quick to respond and helped with my tricky schedule. He also addressed all of my questions/concerns very quickly and seemed happy to help.
As for the Volunteers to Uganda staff--I couldn't possibly say enough good things about them. They were some of the nicest most genuine people I have ever met. No matter what you wanted to do they would make it happen!

My girlfriend and I landed in EBB on July 17th and were greeted by Volunteers 2 Uganda (the in country partner organization) staff member Carol. She was extremely sweet and was genuinely excited to see us! I knew we were in good hands.

David the IVHQ in country director was awesome. I had several talks with David and I can honestly say there is no better man for the job. I could tell from the first time I met him that he was extremely passionate about helping others. And he wanted to help you be able to do the same; while of course having the greatest experience.
If you ever wanted to do something (go on a safari, go to some craft markets, get a ride back to the airport) Martin would take care of it. He made everything effortless so we were able to focus on volunteering and having fun.

Sunday (the volunteer house guard) was always around to help out as well. He was an awesome guy who was also happy to set up rides or any other thing we needed. One night we bought about 50 lbs. of flour and 50 lbs. of rice to hand out to some of the neediest in the community. He and Fred (the maintenance manager) organized everything. They got us a ride, bartered to help us get the most food, and helped us hand it out. It was an amazing experience thanks to Sunday and Fred.

I saw Fred a bit more than Sunday because Sunday worked nights. Fred was awesome! He was incredibly hard working and loved to talk to everyone. He was always smiling and laughing. Asking everyone how they were doing. A few nights we wanted to have a bonfire and Fred without hesitating went and got us tons of wood and then get it lit so that we could all hangout by the fire. Fred is the man!

Betty cooked and cleaned for everyone at the house. To be honest I was a bit worried about eating local food and whether I would like it or not. Betty's cooking was absolutely amazing! I honestly looked forward to her cooking every day! She was (of course) very very sweet as well. She was always so happy. Always greeted everyone with a smile. I can’t say enough good things about Betty.

Hilda was also always around. Most mornings she would be helping cook and when I came out to get breakfast without fail her or Betty would say good morning and ask how I slept or how I was doing etc. They made me feel very welcome.

Daniel the V2U driver was awesome! It is very tricky to navigate through the busy main roads in Uganda as well as some of the rough backroads. He did so with ease. His driving ability was truly impressive. Daniel accompanied drove us to almost every trip—including the safari. And was honestly just a really cool guy who was always looking out for everyone. He was also great company. I really enjoyed talking to Daniel over the course of the two weeks in Uganda.

The staff at IVHQ and V2U were absolutely incredible. Without them this trip wouldn’t have been nearly as good. Thanks to everyone who made it happen.

If you have any questions about the program check out the IVHQ Uganda page which will tell you a lot.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Andy, What a great review! It is our pleasure and we are so happy that the local team were helpful, friendly, genuine and welcoming – we think they are an amazing organization too. It sounds like you had a really special time in Uganda and I will be sure to pass your feedback on to Will, Carol, David, Martin, Fred, Betty, Hilda and Daniel. Thanks for your recommendation and we would love to welcome you on another IVHQ program in the future!

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...