IEP Work New Zealand

IEP Work New Zealand

The Work New Zealand program is designed to help you settle into New Zealand quickly, leaving you more time to enjoy experiencing and exploring this beautiful country.

We'll help you get all the important stuff sorted, from organising your bank account and tax number, to helping you find a job and somewhere to live.

We basically take care of all the difficult and confusing stuff allowing you to have a great working holiday in New Zealand.

Oceania » New Zealand
Program Tags
Adventure Travel
Au Pair
1 Year+
Primary Language

Patrick
Kanzem

My work and travel experience in Oceania

I personally always wanted to go overseas to make this special experience of living on one`s own in a different country after graduating from High School.

In the American Institute for Foreign Study I found an absolutely reliable and professional travel agency which supported me a lot in my intentions of working and travelling abroad.

After a reasonable time of preparation I finally started my journey on July 27 in 2015 when I left Germany to fly to Auckland, New Zealand. (To be honest I actually do not know why I chose New Zealand to go to but in hindsight I definitely do not regret my decision!)

On the first days abroad the IEP Team Auckland welcomed and introduced us to life in New Zealand which was a great launch. Within my first three months I took part in an Internship program organized by AIFS and New Zealand Internships.

While I was working at a hostel and the tourism office Tamaki Maori Village in Rotorua I had the possibility to get an insight in such tourism companies and how they work. It also gave me the chance to get used to New Zealand life style pretty quick and therefore made it a very good first time.

Afterwards I was offered a job at a Marketing company in Auckland where I acquired a great deal of speaking and listening skills due to continuous contact to all kind of English speaking costumers.

During the end of summer and autumn I also worked on the unbelievable strawberry farm in a suburb of Auckland. I had such an amazing time working and living there and alongside the tourism office Tamaki it was the best job I have ever done.

However, even the best times have to end and I left the farm to finally start travelling New Zealand for a month. I explored the whole country with Kiwi Experience, met some more amazing people and experienced this country`s pure beauty day by day.

At the end of May I arrived in Christchurch where my journey through New Zealand finished. It had already been 10 months since I left Germany but even though this was kind of a farewell it was not time to say good bye yet. Because straight after I went to Australia where I spent some of the best weeks in my entire life.

Surfing at the Gold Coast, sailing through the Withsunday Islands, driving on the world`s largest sand island, diving at the Great Barrier Reef, camping in the outback and exploring the Great Ocean Road with friends from all over the world. These are memories for life.

To make a few closing remarks I strongly believe that going abroad is a lesson and an experience for life which is definitely worth doing! Furthermore I would also like to thank Peter Pans Adventure Travel. These guys absolutely know how to have an amazing time and give you the chance to experience a different culture really easily; means no worries at all mate ;)

I think there is only one point which could be improved: If a traveller does not find a job IEP could have some work available so that the programm`s participant can afford his living and does not get desperate. E.g. farms or hostels they work with

Los Angeles

Skydiving in Taupo

Skydiving in Taupo was a real highlight for me. I met so many cool people on the Kiwi Experience bus, and made a pact with one girls to skydive with her. That was in Paihia. By the time we got to Taupo, our emotions had already felt like a roller coaster ride. It was exhilarating, scary, fun, and a real triumph. I can't believe I did it, and I can't imagine doing it anywhere else for the first time. Being in this unique time of my life, meeting new people, and having new adventures was what I set out to do, but actually skydiving was something else and really encapsulated my time there. I just went for it, and had the time of my life!

Darwin

The life of travelling

My name is Darwin, I'm 21 and I live in Germany,

Two of my friends told me lots of stories about the beautiful New Zealand and the peaceful people. I decided to leave my home to find out more about my true self by travelling. Just two weeks after I finished school I began travelling in New Zealand. My adventure began. I made heaps of experiences which trained my mind and soon I realized how easy life can be. The start is usually always not really easy whatever you plan to do. The same applies logically for travelling. But do not see just the problems. When you take the first step you will find out that you are not alone on your way. There will always be helpful people. During my journey I wasn't a big fan of working in the industry like fruit quality control, packing, vineyard work ... blablabla these are important experiences, yes, and especially when you want to and have to earn money it's important too, but I just can say try also WWOOFing. It's up to you what you want, but when you work as a WWOOFer you will get in contact with real kiwis and are able to learn so much from then. On my journey I lived together with artists, engineers and farmers. They taught me heaps about New Zealands history, lifestyle, about nature and life and more. I learned new things like do pottery and how an airplane is constructed.

I had how we call it "good times" and "bad times" and I knew next to my journey I had always a helpful community from IEP which gave me support in difficult situations.

At last I just want to give you a profound advice which I got on my journey. Try not to get in rush like you have to see all the "famous attractions" and have to do all the "exciting activities". That's not important. You will get enough exciting moments. You don't have to see everything. That's not the point of travelling. The point is that you be open enough for that what your journey is going to give you. Realize that you are not alone on your path. You will get new friendships, new skills, new perspectives and more. Just try to enjoy it and follow your feelings.
I wish you a great journey!
Your Darwin

Mary
Ruthin
Harper Adams University College

What an experience

Going through IEP to New Zealand was a great decision. I made good friends and once we had all settled in different parts of the country it was so nice to have people you knew dotted around the island.
Once finishing my job in Hawkes Bay, I had decided to move onto Christchurch area and start to explore the South Island.
I lived with the family I worked for and just decided to spent my last night packing and relaxing as the family were out and about.
I heard the door go and went into the kitchen to my surprise it was filled with food and wine. They had cancelled their evenings to have a going away party for me.
The fire was lit out on the deck and I was given such thoughtful and lovely presents to say farewell. It was a top evening, laughing and talking and just enjoying ourselves.
I had only lived with them 2 months and I was so touched. The reason I decided to share this story, although it is short is that New Zealand people are some of the kindest people I have ever met. I thought I had a lucky experience but most other backpackers had similar ones to me.
They really got me involved in their lives and I felt like a member of the family.
They came to visit me in Christchurch when I was there and we keep in touch through Facebook.
I cant wait for them to come and visit me in the UK, living with them really made my trip!

Tina
New Zealand

Where to find adventures, stories, fun, friends and peace!

Lots of stuff happened in New Zealand with me. I made wonderful experiences, met new friends, had adventures experiences, moment in which I cried and laughed. I never ever wonna have missed the time.
I visited the Waitomo caves, flew around with a plane, drove boat, went fishing and so much more. I will keep all that in my memory, but one memory is burned especially into my mind.
This one moment when I climbed up the mountain, so tired and exhausted and turned around. I turned around to see this wonderful scenery, to have this wonderful view and it was breath taking. I just set down and enjoyed the moment. I listened to my own body, I listened to the nature and tried to absorb all the surroundings. I calmed totally down and just felt peaceful. At one with my body, soul and the nature, as if everything finally fit together. I can't really describe it better, you just have to climb up there by yourself and live the experience...

Kathi
Kassel, Germany

in love with NZ

I spent half a year in New Zealand for a Work&Travel Holiday and it was the best time in my life!
It started with a german organisation and IEP in Auckland and I was quite happy with the support.
The people from IEP were so friendly and lovely and they helped with everything.
It was good to have some helpful people for the beginning and it's also good to know you can call or text them if you have a problem while travelling.
Everything was perfect with IEP and I have nothing to criticise.
I just enjoyed my time in New Zealand and i fell in love with the beautiful nature and the lovely people.
Everything was awesome!

Tiffany
Near Toronto, Canada

Amazing Experience

I had a great time in New Zealand and couldn't have done it so effortlessly without the help of IEP. Why struggle when you can have a bit of help from the lovely ladies at IEP?
The orientation really helps you decided what you want to do with your time and opens you up to ideas and opportunities you may not have thought of on your own. They even help you set up your bank, tax number and phone. Throughout my time around New Zealand and when I had to leave, IEP was there. For job hunting, it was great to be able to use their office, especially for printing CVs and using their internet/phone. During the summer they always had some really interesting random jobs on their job board. I didn't do any of them, but they were funny to read and I'm sure were a blast for whoever took them. IEP runs fun social outings in the main cities, and have a message board for people travelling around who want friends or a ride or want to sell/buy things like a car or tent. It would be a bit better if they were available at least to call/e-mail on weekends and outside of 9-5, but between that 9-5 they are dedicated!
I could talk forever about the amazing trips (Hang-gliding Abel Tasmin), adventures (Getting lost in Franz Josephs woodlands), Festivals (Holi colour festival), friends I made (IEP outings at Cassette9), but I'll resist. There's something about New Zealand that can not be explained in words or pictures. There's a feeling you get when you arrive and breathe in the pure air of mountains, oceans, wild forests, and salty hot springs. It's such an amazing Country and the people you meet there, Kiwis or other travelers, will be so friendly and become some of the best friends you'll ever have. It's a very friendly and very safe Country (except maybe K-road in Auckland after dark lol).

Although the staff at IEP are amazing, friendly and helpful, it would be better if there could be at least one person to contact via phone or E-mail after office hours and on weekends (who can respond at that time). Having the IEP office open on weekends would also be good, but if you just have one or 2 staff members available to contact, that would be great! That being said, the staff were always there for me and very quick Monday to answer any weekend questions I had.

Ben
Germany

Unforgettable Year of Adventure, Maturing and Memories

First something about IEP. Because clearly there is no exceptable way to say the work and travel year wasn't worth the time and money. You MUST do something similiar to this!
But this should be a review about IEP;)

Positive:
-Everybody of the team was super friendly
-They responded very fast within the working days
-They had great and fun activities in the major cities like Wellington Auckland and Queenstown.
-Their presentation about working and traveling in New Zealand had a lot of information and was very interesting and fun too, but a little to fast and much to take notes while listening.
-They had some good money-off-deals with other companys
-Their help with the taxnumber-stuff was very good!
-They could help you with everything! Means of transport finding. Visa for further travelling. Bank account setting. Sightseeing. Work search.

Negative:
-I couldn't contact them at all on the weekend. In my opinion it should be mandatory that they can help me all around the clock for the price i paid.
-To get serious help for work you had to be directly in Auckland.
-Their website were they put jobs from the internet on were fastly outdated and could also be found with ease by yourself. They should've listed jobs there you couldn't find normally. Otherwise i see no point in that list.

In overall: It was very nice to have a person to talk to and someone you could almost always contact and support you. You felt a little more safe. Especially when you just arrived to New Zealand and had no clue about anything. But except the very good help with the taxnumber you could basically manage everything by yourself and would save a lot of money. And i got to know a lot of people who actually did this.

In the end some of the best stories from my travels.
A lot of the Kiwis seem to be very friendly and open, help you with out you asking. I think New zealand is a very safe country to travel around. And not just because there are no dangerous animals.
One good story was when my buddy and i tramped for 400km through the bush and we got picked up by a family with kids in a campervan, with which we ended up playing cards in the back and stop for lunchbreaks together. Then when our paths went in different directions we waited in super heavy rain next to the street for another car. One actually picking us up although we were soaking wet. We drove until it was night time and he offered us to stay with him the night. We found out he's living with his grandma who cooked us a lot and even gave a friend 20$ that he would drive me and my buddy to our car in the bush. We paid everything back the next days. To feel like family with completly strangers was a amazing experience!

One cool thing was when me and my friend dicided to climb a "random" hill in the mountains we saw in the distance. We waded through icecold rushing mountainrivers, foggy-wet plains and warm cowshit. Without following any path. Such a wonderful experience! I felt like an explorer:)
Camping on 1700m with the sight to the highest mountain of New Zealand in a veery cold night and watching the sunrise above the mountain ranges the next morning, watching the sky turn form darkgrey to white, yellow, pink and bright orange; and the sun finally warming up our stiff bodys was absolutly incredible!
Apart of everything I grew independent, more open to other people and confident on my travels.
Convinced to travel to new zealand? ;)
It is for people who want to see natures best side in the most safe way. Don't expect good nightlife, except campingfires on the beach:D

Catherine
Saint-Victor, Québec
Université Laval

Good for a first time abroad

IEP New Zealand provide great support and hints and great advice for preparation before you arrive into the country, especially if it's the first time you spend a long time abroad. If you are an experienced traveller who doesn't mind a little bit of adventure in figuring out things, then it's not necessary to go for IEP and their support; but if you want a bit more of peace of mind (and if you want to save a bit of time), go for it as their staff is friendly and offers a wide array of useful services.

Quentin
Belgium

This is the most beautiful place on earth !

Well New Zealand is amazing ! And the Kiwis ? They are awesome. I knew before I arrived that the country was incredibly beautiful, scenic and wild. Yes, it is true. But the people, the Kiwis, are great, as great as the Mount Cook. They are so nice and friendly. I will always remember how easily I traveled and I hitchhiked in this country. I never tried hitchhiking before (too risky in Europe and people will think you are a hobo) but someone told me and convinced me. It is so easy and safe in New Zealand. The Kiwis are friendly and helpful and make your travel amazing. My travel was amazing, because of the landscape, and because of them. New Zealand has so much to give and to share, this country will remain in my mind.

Lejla
Berlin, Germany

beautiful nature

It was a rainy and cloudy day. I put my boots and jacket on and planned to look for a job. But when I saw the ocean I changed my mind and chose to walk to the famous mountain. The artist I have met a day before said to me the mountain was not as far as it seems to be. I can walk to there. It will take me just 2 hours. I think that is ok if you have great landscape to see.
So I took my map started to walk straight to the mountain. While I walked through a village it started to get warmer, the sun was shining, the clouds were disappearing more and more and I was sweating more and more. I took off as much as I could but my feet were burning as hell in these boots. I got really really tired after 20 minutes, the hostel where I slept was not too far to go back but I did not want to give up. So I walked further, did not know where I was, had no water left, my mind is on standby while the sun is walking just next to me.
After a while, I do not know what time it was and how much time had passed, a car stopped next to me.
"Hi", said the woman in the car. "I saw you an hour ago over there and now you're here... I guess you need a ride to the mountain?!"
"Yes", I whispered, because my mouth was to dry.
I jumped in and we talked about our family. Sometimes some thoughts like "Are you crazy? What are you doing in a stranger's car? this woman could be your murderer or worse someone who is going to sell you!! LEAVE THAT CAR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.!!"
But my instincts said that this woman next to me is just doing me favor. So it was. I arrived ten minutes later at the mountain.
I climbed up and had the most beautiful view I will probably ever get in my life. I started to cry. Not because of the view but of women. The first time I saw that someone is doing a favor for someone else because - yeah, just because.
The hope that there is something like humanity, trust and charity is not dashed. Nature is not dashed.

Patricia
Newport Gwent, United Kingdom

Sweet As!

I returned back for a longer backpacker experience. I traveled solo, thou it was daunting and scary. I met some lovely friends along the way from different countries. I worked in a variety of jobs and I gained new skills. I miss NZ lifestyle, it is soooo laid back. Working hard pays off when you reap the rewards of the social lifestyle. If you want to a limo to take you to do skydiving, I highly recommend Taupo Skydive (was the pink plane). I conquered my fear of heights and jumped out at 12,000ft :D And I wanted to do it all over again. Napier is a beautiful place, so relaxing and chilled back. Plus it is art deco :) I spent my summer months there twice during farm work. Arthur's Pass, Hanmer Springs and the Hobbiton is defo worth a visit.

Chris
Seattle, WA

NZ is an amazing place

My girlfriend and I had an amazing and unique experience living on the south island and I managed to get a job delivering mail on a motorcycle which was fantastic!

I missed NZ the moment we left and still do to this day. Definitely will be going back to visit in the future.

Really no issues that I can speak of, everything went pretty smooth.

Amanda
Matamata, New Zealand

The kind of support you need

I joked about getting the 'job of my dreams' at Hobbiton Movie Set before I left home. My friends laughed it off, as I do have quite a nerdy streak. But, low and behold, I saw jobs advertised through the IEP facebook page and 11 months later it feels good to have, quite literally, lived the dream, had the support to sort out all of the daunting tax/bank details that my jet lagged brain struggled with, and have a base to check in with wherever I was in NZ for work/CV or travel bookings. Heaps of help!

There could be smaller offices and drop in centres in other cities as well as Auckland. That way, people may be able to get a local insight into jobs in different areas- particularly on the South Island.

Zita
Germany

Kiwi Camping

Me and my friend got to know some awesome Kiwis and we decided to go camping over Christmas/New Years on their own discovered Campsite. Such a big FUN! We had BBQs , went out for fishing every day, drunk some beers with friends who came over, danced the whole night in a Pub and watched stars afterwards. That was the best way to celebrate this time of the year!
We moved into their flat. Spend there our last month before traveling. It finally ends up, that my friend and one of the guys felt in love for each other. Now after nearly a year, they are still a couple, rent a little house and giving me a great reason to come back once. :)
New Zealand is changing a life!

Michael
Augsburg, Germany

IEP - a team you can always count on (AWESOME IEP)

Well, where should I start, I arrived on my own in New Zealand so I was pretty lost in Auckland on the first few days.
IEPs orientation workshop helped me a lot and within a few hours you were prepared for everything you needed for a woorking holiday. That was really great if you are thousands of miles away and have no idea how to deal with NZs burocracy which is by the way not that difficult, but honestly, if you are planning on staying longer than just a few weeks it's definitely a good feeling to have everything organised on your arrival.

Their OFFICE IN AUCKLAND is located directly in Queen Street and makes it the one place to go when you just arrived. They do help you with basically EVERYTHING, and if I say everything I really mean it. No matter what you need they are there for you and help you as good as they and their partners can with tips for your travels, they book flight-, train-, bus and whatever tickets for you, they check offers you got if you want to buy a car, they keep your postage for your whole stay or send it to you without a charge to any place in New Zealand which is one of the big points why I chose to go with them on my gap year.

Another good point about IEP is their emergency number. If you are in trouble you can call them anytime and they will always help you as fast as possible!
Not to forget is also that they are all available via facebook so you can text them just on facebook and you'll get a fast reply. And of course they to provide the same service you can get in their Auckland office if you send them an email, call them or text them on facebook.

They really take care of you. Especially with their social events throughout the country. They do have amazing races through Auckland, pubmeets in different cities (in Auckland hosted by them and as far as I know in other cities hosted by other volunteering backpackers) which is a great opportunity to meet your travelmate (btw: that's how I met my travelmate lol)

All in all I can say it was definitely worth choosing IEP for my working holiday and I can doubtlessly recommend IEP to anyone who is planning on coming to NZ for a working holiday!

THANK YOU IEP, it was great exploring New Zealand with your help!

All the best for you guys in the future!

Well they are close to be perfect but I would love to see another office on the South Island.

Or the easier part would be a part time saturday for example 9-1 would be perfect and very useful if you just arrived in NZ and want to get all your stuff sorted as soon as possible to start travelling soon.

Kate
Buxton, Derbyshire, England

A fantastic year

I arrived in New Zealand 9 and a half months ago. Aged 18 and with no plan what to do, I chose to go to BUNAC/IEP for my visa. They've been so amazing with helping me settle in and enjoy my time in New Zealand! I bought a stray pass in order to help me travel and that's also been awesome. Stray is a good way to meet people, get some awesome activities in and travel the length of NZ.
In the 9 and a half months I was here I worked in 2 hostels, lived in 2 cities, worked 2 waitressing jobs and travelled all the South Island and some of the North. It's been an adventure for sure! I used IEP to help with job searching, bank accounts and tax. They're always keen and happy to help which makes life easier!

Some highlights of my trip:
• doing the world's second most scenic skydive in Fox Glacier- a last minute decision which totally payed off!!
• Nevis Bungy jump in Queenstown. Absolutely terrifying and NOT to be done hungover (my mistake), but makes you feel like a champion.
• Paddling in a glacier pool at Mount Cook. Freezing cold but I did touch an iceberg so that's pretty cool.
• Swimming with wild dolphins in Kaikoura. As the sun rose over the sea, I was underwater singing through my snorkel to all these wild dolphins. Best day ever!!

New Zealand is an amazing, beautiful and enchanting country which shouldn't be overlooked.
Thankyou BUNAC and IEP for helping me get here!!!

Donna
Auckland, NZ

My NZ experience

My year out started last Sept, when I waved goodbye to Ireland and headed to the Asian shores. I travelled there for a little while before I headed for Australia. This is where I knew I would be very comfortable as I had friends & family dotted around the place. NZ was the place I was most nervous about....on my own properly, not knowing anyone, was a scary prospect but I am so delighted I did it! & more so with IEP. Their staff in their Auckland offices were friendly from the outset & knowing I could tip in with them at any stage, was such a great help, particularly in those initial days of finding your feet. Even the simple things of access to computers & being able to print things off....this was a huge help with locating work opportunities & accommodation. Their staff have also traveled nationwide and worldwide so they understand what you're going through & even just a friendly chat was always appreciated. I worked for a few months & then traveled the length and breadth of NZ. I loved every minute of it. If you are embarking on your adventure, I'm actually quite jealous! Enjoy this beautiful country. Aotearoa has definitely left a long-lasting impression on me. I would highly recommend IEP!

Maybe access to the offices at the weekends? For half days? Just when looking for work when you first land, it might be useful to have access then.

Phil

Usefull support

If you need an organisation for your gap year or not is probably one of the most ask questions from backpackers ever. The answer is simple. You don't.

But if you don't feel 100% sure or you would like some tipps and support the IEP is definetly one of the best choices you can do. The staff is always there for you. They help you with basically everything.
When I arrived here my Backpack was damaged and three days late. The IEP helped me dealing with the airline which was quite complicated. They gave me an Airbus-ticket including return for free just so I could actually go to the airport itself and drop my reciepts there.

IEP also helped me with any other questions I ever had. They booked a rental car for me and told me places to go. They gave me an valuable orientation seminar and told me everything about opening a bank account and applying for an IRD number.

Additionally the social media presence is pretty awesome. You can message people on facebook and they answer you as good as they can.

All in all IEP made my trip more enjoyable and gave me a feeling of safty because I have always someone who covers my back.

I would love to see a second IEP office on the south island (Christchurch for example)

Jack
University for the Creative Arts

"I can't rate them highly enough"

Quite simply the team at IEP are the most helpful and sincerely nicest people I've met whilst in NZ. I can't rate them highly enough. Their advice on where to stay, when to book, where to drink and how to make the most of your time here is second to none.
On more than one occasion I have turned up 20 minutes before they are due to close with a head full of ideas and last minute travel plans, with no real idea on how best to sort it out. The girls took the time to call rental companies, hostels, activity companies etc. and sort my whole trip out for me.
Even the times when people just want to come and chat or hang out or are having a tough day adjusting to life on the other side of the world. The team are more than happy to 'spin some yarns' and make you feel right at home.

I really would advise anyone thinking of coming to NZ to utilise their services as arriving in a new country is more stressful that you think.

My trip so far wouldn't have been the same without them.

Jerry
Leigthon

The worst choice your could make

I bought IEP through the UK BUNAC program and from the get go it was dodgy. The person that talk to me never been to New Zealand at all as she though Auckland was its capital but I went for it as I was super stressed. Have I known this website I would have go with any other company than IEP or Bunac on this list!

The people that ''Welcomed'' in Auckland were other working holiday makers that only stayed in Auckland, their knowledge of New Zealand was of Auckland and the few bus tour companies that gave them free tours around. Pretty much it. Their travel info was a joke as the person giving it was actually working for a bus company!!! Job wise the support was almost non existent aside from ''use trademe and do some wwoofing'' The hostel was crowded, unpersonnal and very cheap, to the point that I checked out before my due date to go somewhere better.

It was a clear waste of money, please people, avoid at all cost, for your own good!

Response from IEP

Hi Jerry,

We appreciate your feedback and we take this negative review very seriously. We want to ensure that all our participants have the best possible working holiday here in New Zealand. It would be great to get more information about your experience with IEP as we are always looking to improve on our services. If you can contact us directly we will provide you with a full program refund. Please contact us anytime by emailing us on [email protected]

We look forward to hearing from you.

Leigh
Richmond Virginia, United States

IEP made the transition from US to NZ easy.

IEP set my mind at ease. Coming from the US where the information on working holidays and backpacking is practically non existent, the staff took all the things I was stressing about (Bank Accounts, Tax Numbers, accommodation, work) and made it easy. Any question I had, they had an answer, and if they didn't, they found one. I didn't spend much time in Auckland, where the office is based, but with their Facebook page and online site, I still had access to help if I needed it.

And its not just the staff that has great advice, the other members are great about sharing experiences. Where to stay, what to do, what not to do. Its an instant community of fellow travelers and its great!

The number one thing I love about IEP, is that they are full of advice and help, but they don't take away the experience by holding your hand too much. They encourage you to go out and have the best adventure you can have, and they will be there if you need them.

I would love if they had a satellite office outside of Auckland. Out of the year I was in New Zealand, I spent maybe 2 weeks in the city. It would have been nice to have another office to visit.

Paul
Hamilton, New Zealand
Central Connecticut State University

Working Holiday, not just for twenty-somethings

As a late comer to work/travel abroad, it was difficult finding a program that would accept someone over 30. IEP Work New Zealand fit the bill, and provided all of the necessary support for the newly arrived, sleep-deprived traveler.

They had transport and the first few nights accommodation pre-booked so we didn't have to worry about finding our way right off the plane which was brilliant.

The office is directly across from the arranged hostel, so it was easy to get to and centrally located in Auckland. An orientation session during the first couple days sets you up with heaps of info and they assist in getting all your tax info and bank account setup right away.

So that's the basic stuff. But here's the really useful stuff. The staff are great and do everything they can to help you out. Anything from travel tips, car insurance, social nights at the pub, baggage storage, advice on job hunting, tips on attractions, getting off the beaten track, you name it! Their insider knowledge and willingness to help you out can be a blessing in an unfamiliar place, and really makes you feel welcome and confident that you have someone watching your back.

One of their marketing staff told me about a video contest, and I ended up winning first place which gave my bank account a real boost when I was traveling.

I got to know several of the staff personally, and even now wouldn't hesitate to phone them up with a question or meet up for a drink.

I often say it's all about people when you're traveling. IEP and New Zealand is full of great people, and the experiences we had over the year program shaped us permanently.

I still haven't left New Zealand, and I'm now a permanent resident together with my partner whom I met during the program.

The beauty of New Zealand has to be experienced, and IEP Work New Zealand is a great way to do it.

Highly recommended.

Honestly, I can't really think of anything.

Purdue University

The support I needed to start off on the right foot in NZ

From start to finish, IEP was invaluable in making my working holiday experience a success. I felt fully prepared with my pre-trip and arrival information, and then the 3-hour orientation on my first day in Auckland was super helpful. By the end of the day I had applied for my IRD number, opened a bank account, signed up for a free city tour of Auckland, and met heaps of other like-minded travelers at a burger & movie night. The support didn't stop there, I ended up booking my NZ travel pass with the help of IEP, and when it came time for me to find a job the staff went above and beyond to edit my CV and guide me through the recruitment process. Have I mentioned the free wifi and printing in the office?! Amazing. I also took advantage of the luggage storage, mail forwarding service and social gatherings. The staff are all-around great people who genuinely want you to have the best possible NZ experience. I can't say thank you enough!

The worst I can say is the lack of information/marketing available in the US.

Denver Colorado
University of Nebraska- Kearney

Couldn't have done it without you!

What can I say?!! This program helped my friend and me soooo much when moving to NZ. We knew nothing about NZ when we arrived and knew no one. The staff here were great with advice, local information and traveling info and always had a smile on their face! It was great to have a support system when you are so far from home and we knew we could always count on them. Easy access to email which was very important when communicating with so many people back home. IEP made the transition to coming and working in NZ so much less stressful and easy which is very important when you are so far from home. Great networking as well with other overseas people which was cool.
Would and have recommended to many friends... Two thumbs up! I'd give it three if I had three thumbs!:)

Really hard to think of one... But the hours of the office on the weekdays were hard sometimes with my work schedule so I had to rely on going on Saturdays. This may have changed since I was a participant though.

James
Auckland

IEP Work Program

IEP have been great to me. When I first arrived, they were very friendly and provided a great orientation presentation for me which helped me to feel settled down. They also helped me a lot by using their contacts to get me two jobs, one of which at the Sky Tower in Auckland which was a great job and a lot of fun and then another at The Hermitage hotel over in Mount Cook which I'm just about to start soon.

Overall I've been extremely happy at the service they've provided to me and with their help and support, they've made this trip fantastic for me.

Bigger discounts off trips!

Gentiana
Glenwood Springs, Colorado

IEP New Zealand - Awesome

IEP New Zealand made my working holiday to NZ easy and amazing from the day I got my visa. There pre departure support- welcoming me to the program and encouraging questions and contact from the start was a great way to kick of my year in NZ.

Knowing that you have a place to stay (they put you up in a hostel your first nights) and a place to go for job search, find out about travel and book it, the nitty gritty of bank accounts and tax IRD numbers- sorted!

Staff is incredibly friendly, go out of their way to make you feel at home and help you with your journey. No matter that their office is based in Auckland- they are an email or phone call away, and often have contacts (for jobs and support) throughout the country. They really listened to who I was and helped me find a job that would suit me! They host social events to help travelers connect upon arrival. Pubmeet, movie nights, concerts etc.

It truly was the best year of my life!

I ended up getting a work sponsored visa in NZ and was allowed to remain in contact with IEP (after my year with them ended) I was able to watch their program grow... I might have said, more staff, more orientations, more computers ....But this had already happened by the time I left NZ.

I would hope that marketing for their program overseas would get bigger. I'm from the US and many young people here have never heard of a working holiday, especially if you didn't attend University. Seeing as a stint at Uni is not required for the Work NZ program target high schools.

Nat
London
London School of Economics

Fun times

I had a great time in NZ and IEP helped a lot in the initial stages to make it so much easier for me. They helped with my bank account, finding a place to live and some really good job hunt ideas. Auckland is a great city!

Chris
UK

IEP is a great way to start your trip in New Zealand

Jumping off the looong plane ride and knowing that I had somewhere to go (the IEP office in Auckland) if I needed help or support was a super nice feeling.

Getting help with tax numbers, bank accounts, etc was very useful as I probably would have had no idea what I was doing!

The staff are all friendly and helpful and if they don't know the answer then they do all they can to find it out for you.

Getting a job in a new country is pretty daunting - but at the end of the day it's the same anywhere you go. The more you put yourself out there then the more chance you have of finding a job. I started work at a Laser-Strike place in Auckland after about a month and it turned out to be super awesome - getting to play Laser-Strike whenever I wanted!

Make sure you travel though and don't spend all your time in Auckland! IEP has loads of ideas on where to go and how to go there.

My highlight in New Zealand was probably getting to see the All Blacks play and see the Haka live - definitely something everyone should try and experience if you come here!

I think IEP should be more interactive on social media. They have a facebook group which is great, but I think some other social media like twitter, Instagram, etc would be cool =)

Sean
New Zealand

Highly Recommend

The inbound center is awesome.. FREE Wifi and heaps of job listings! Met lots of people through the social events and had a job within 2 weeks. The travel advice and discounts were also great! Go to NZ

IEP New Zealand is part of a worldwide network of companies and partner organisations focused on helping people have amazing overseas work and volunteer abroad experiences.

IEP is a focused on providing the best possible support whilst keeping program fees as low as possible. IEP