ISA Internships in Australia

ISA Internships in Australia

Kick start your career and explore the land down under with ISA Internships. With a variety of
career fields and opportunities in cities across the country, our team aligns your internship with
your career goals. As a modern, highly-educated culture with a booming economy, Australia is
independence and adventure.

Australia can host interns in a variety of different fields, but it is an especially great location for
Hospitality and Tourism and Sports Management and Exercise Science, as well as participants interested in health and exercise research.

Interns are placed throughout Australia; in large cities, suburbs, and in smaller towns. You should be open to living and working in the location where the most suitable placement is found in order for you to gain the best career-building experience available and complete your personal and professional goals during your internship abroad.

• Receive personalized advising on career opportunities, resume and cover letter revision, interview coaching and receive academic credit.
  • Get matched with an international internship that suits your specific experiences, skills, and professional goals. Your internship placement will be confirmed BEFORE departure.
  • Begin your transition to daily life in your new country and culture on the Bridging Cultures Program, our in-country orientation. Highlights in included a visit to the world famous Sydney Opera House.
  • Benefit from the ISA office, enjoy the company of your fellow ISA interns and ISA students and use the Wi-Fi Internet provided at the ISA office.
  • Gain access to the Professional Development Toolbox, which includes resources to identify the skills and knowledge you have acquired through your international, academic, and personal experiences.
Oceania » Australia » Wollongong
• Bridging Cultures Program, the on-site cultural and academic orientation
• Professional Development Toolbox
• Comprehensive advising & support
• Visa support
• Academic supervision and credit options
• Placement supervision
• Resident staff support
• International medical insurance
• 24-hour on-site assistance
• Airport reception
• Cultural activities
• Meals (in some sites)
• One year digital subscription to The New York Times

The program I went through had all unpaid internships! However, there was a girl on the trip with me that ended up staying and getting a full-time job at her internship site.

Stephanie
Howell, Michigan
Saginaw Valley State University

Learning about Education, Culture, & Myself

I'm studying to be a teacher and decided to take this study abroad internship to work at a school in Australia. The experience that I gained through this study abroad trip taught me so many valuable things. I learned countless tools to use in the classroom: classroom management, classroom activities, & literacy strategies. Not only did I learn about classroom strategies, but I also learned about how students in another culture interact. I probably learned more from the students than they learned from me. Working with other cultures and diverse students is such an important piece of knowledge to have. Most importantly, during my internship I learned about myself- my motivation, passions, interests, and ethics.
While completing my internship, I had heaps of time to explore Melbourne, Australia. I was free on nights and weekends and tried to do everything I could! Some of my eperiences included: Healseville Sanctuary, Queen Victoria Market, Euroa, Mornington Peninsula, Chadstone Shopping Center, Melbourne Aquarium, Melbourne Central Shopping, Federation Square, Yarra River Walk, Eureka Skydeck, The Great Ocean Road, Chinatown, St. Kilda Pier, St. Paul, & St. Patrick's Cathedral.
Deciding to complete this Australia internship has been the best experience of my life! Although I missed many important events at home (engagements, birthdays, & holidays), I learned so much and had so much fun! I enjoyed every second of my time here, even when the weather was raining and cold! GlobaLinks helped me so much in preparing for my trip, making sure my placement was going well, and being there if I needed anything. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to take this internship- Interning in Australia has changed my life!

Carly
Toledo, Ohio
Ohio University

A valuable life and career experience

Most students who go abroad actually study and take classes. Doing an internship allows you to fully embrace the culture you're in and receive valuable experience for your future career. I absolutely loved my internship with Dani Lombard Public Relations in Sydney. It was a small agency so I got to know all the girls really well during my stay. I felt like they were family by the time I left. Aside from the internship, I met some incredible people that will forever impact my life. I encourage you to connect with Aussie families and have dinner with me or spend a few days with them. During the week, I worked 9-5:30 Mon-Thurs. I took a bus and a train to work and it took about an hour but it varies by internship. It was great to have Fridays off so I had time to travel. I went to New Zealand, Melbourne, Newcastle and the Blue Mountains. Weekends were really relaxed because we didn't have to worry about school work! Two pieces of advice: #1 research your company first and make sure it's the right fit. See if any other interns have been there before because a few of the interns didn't like their internship all that much. #2 If you want fellow Americans around you and living with you suggest to stay in Sydney. I lived with about 10 other interns but a few other interns were placed in different cities alone. I highly recommend GlobaLinks but do your research first!

This was answered in the above response. Some placements weren't what interns were looking for but GlobaLinks was very good at dealing with issues at work. For example, one girl didn't like her first internship so they quickly found her a new one that she loved!

Sarah
Liberty, Missouri
William Jewell College

Awesome Learning Experience

I interned with the Australian Baseball League in Sydney, Australia. I truly enjoyed the various projects I was given because they helped me step out of my comfort zone. I performed office tasks, attended press conferences with MLB staff from around the world, and created a customer database. The best experiences are those that challenge us and make us a better person. It was challenging working in a fast-paced environment with little background knowledge. However, I gained confidence and skills that are still benefiting me today.

Julia
Galloway, New Jersey
Richard Stockton College of New Jersey

Ideal Experience

My internship at the National Zoo and Aquarium in Canberra Australia was the best experience of my life. I was able to help all the zookeepers in their day to day activity and I was able to do so many things. I was able to prepare food and create enrichment for all of the animals in the zoo. I would do it again in an instant, doing an internship (as opposed to study abroad) was absolutely better.
In addition, the bridging cultures program was probably the best way to be welcomed to Australia and we were able to do so many things, like snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef, hold a koala, go four-wheeling through the rainforest, meet Australian aboriginals and learn about their culture. It was a great opportunity and I am so pleased I was able to do it.

The only thing I would change would be the housing I was placed in, I was placed with a family which theoretically is really nice. However, the family I was with did not have time to show me around or drive me to the internship (I biked 10k each way)
It sort of seemed they only housed me for the compensation.

Joanne
Galloway, New Jersey
Richard Stockton College of New Jersey

A Dream Come True

Interning in Australia was a dream come true. I was able to discover I wanted to become a Marine Chemical Ecologist with the help of my supervisor. I did some sediment sampling and organism identifying, as well as processing some seagrass in order to determine the health of the water of the area. While, that is not exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life, I had a great experience and realized I loved ecology and I had missed the chemistry research from home. After explaining my goals to my supervisor, he helped me discover a route I could go. I will not say that studying abroad was easy because I did get very homesick, especially with living in an area where I felt like I had no support from anyone or anyone to have contact with except my amazing coworkers. I had connected to a church because I have a strong faith and that helped me get through, as well as the friends I made in church. However, my biggest difficulties were when I felt helpless at internship because there were some organisms I felt like I should have known, but I did not. I also had to learn how to read a map and take transportation by myself because no one was around to help. I had an issue in Australia regarding where I lived, but GlobaLinks Learning Abroad did a great job at helping resolve the problem and making me feel better. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone!

I would have hoped to have at least one other person around me or a person from Global Links in the city that I could have contact with if I needed help because the location I was staying at was not helpful at all.

Chelsey
Lubbock, Texas
Texas Tech University

Great Internship Experience!

My internship in the media and communications department at AgForce Queensland couldn’t have been any better. It’s hard to land a good internship here in America, and I fully believe my internship could compete with some of those good internships here. The first week I was there I was doing telephone interviews and writing articles for Envoy – the member magazine produced at AgForce. Not only was my trip to Australia a great professional experience, but a wonderful personal growth experience for myself. One big difference in Australia and America is the way of thinking. In America, we live to work. Meaning, everything we do revolves around work. In Australia, they work to live. Meaning, as soon as they leave work they try not to think about it until they arrive back at work. For American’s, it’s very hard to flip the work switch off. We also aren’t afforded the opportunities like they are. Typically, American’s get a two-week vacation time off from work. Australia gets a three-week vacation time off. They’re also a much more laid back society.

The turn around time to hear if you've landed an internship. I didn't know until about 4 weeks before I had to leave.

Arleen
Portland, CT
Rider University

Best Experience of My Life!!!

I was placed in an advertising agency located in Newcastle, NSW. The town was amazing and truly captured all different aspects of day to day Australia life. More importantly, my placement was exactly what I needed and exceeded my expectations with the amount of involvement I had in the advertising process for various clients. I lived in a student house filled with students from all over the world, most of which were either in the same program as I was or attending the University of Newcastle. I did not expect such a nice living space; and compared to other students who went to bigger cities such as Sydney, I was living large.
I also had the opportunity to travel the entire country. Transportation was easy to navigate and go me everywhere I wanted to go for a fair price. My program leader just so happened to have his office across the street from mine. When I lost my luggage for an entire week, he was very helpful in making sure I was still comfortable which was easy anyway because I was in Australia!!!
I believe the trip would not have been as great as it was if it didn't start on the right foot at the Bridging Culture program. We had so much fun at the Great Barrier Reef and the Rainforestation.
GlobaLinks will give you the best experience possible!

Megan
Maryville, MO
Northwest Missouri State University

Valuable Experience!

I couldn't have asked for a better experience abroad! My favorite part of my trip, besides my internship, was the Bridging Cultures program at the beginning of the program. GlobaLinks arranged a weekend stay in Cairns for all of us who had internships in Australia that summer. We got to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef, visit a sanctuary where we got to cuddle a koala and play with kangaroos, and we also learned about the history of Australia and ways we could assimilate into the culture smoothly. It was so much fun! It was a great opportunity to meet all the other interns and make connections. My internship has been incredibly beneficial to me both personally and professionally. I was able to develop new skills and master skills I have already learned. Everyone at GlobaLinks is always available when you need help, too. It was the best summer of my life!

If you don't want to have little assignments to do every two weeks and two papers to write, then don't take this internship for academic credit.

Brandon
Allen, TX
Oklahoma Baptist University

Living a Dream

This program allowed me to live a dream! I highly recommend it. The staff was very helpful throughout the entire process, and the organization I worked for was excited to have me.

ISA Internships & Service-Learning provides participants unique experiential learning programs abroad. ISA Internships focuses on finding participants high-quality, customized professional work experiences in a wide variety of career fields. Through our support and professional development resources, participants are able to apply their classroom education in