ImmerQi | China Internship Program in Beijing and Shanghai

ImmerQi | China Internship Program in Beijing and Shanghai

ImmerQi offers a unique opportunity with its China Internship Program (CIP) to both live and work in two of the world’s most exciting cities, Beijing or Shanghai with some of the world's most established companies as well as some rising stars.

The China Internship Program allows participants the chance to not only experience the history and culture of one of the world’s most fascinating countries but to experience business in a fast paced and dynamic environment.

Participants can choose from a number of industries and sectors such as marketing, hospitality, law, IT and international business safe in the knowledge that with the ImmerQi team working in the background every facet of the experience has been taken care of.

From learning about business in China, professional networking events meeting CEOs, quality mandarin lessons and scheduled cultural trips, the China Internship Program is a once in a lifetime key to living and working in China and your future.

There’s never been a better time to do an internship in China! Still not sure if you should come? Read ImmerQi’s one and only ultimate internship guidebook and decide! Download the guidebook.

• Trial your new career before you commit to it long-term
  • Test-drive your knowledge and skills in a challenging, international environment
  • Enhance your CV in China, a market all multinationals have a keen interest in
  • Build your professional network in a place that is encouraging innovation, research and entrepreneurship
  • Exposure to the Chinese business environment, business customs and culture will help with future job searches
Asia » China » Shanghai
Asia » China » Beijing
Industry
Weekly Hours
Weeks Min.
Weeks Max
Standard Package starting from USD 3,330 and Premium Package from USD 3,550. Price depends on the duration of the programme.

Kara
Philadelphia
Drexel University

Consulting in Shanghai!

Through ImmerQi, I was able to intern in Shanghai and learn about the worldwide players in the nuclear market, specifically the players in the Chinese nuclear market. The American-run company based in Shanghai that I interned with was in a unique position to provide on-the-ground China support to US clients. It works notably with the US Commercial Service for China’s bi-annual nuclear industry conference which I was able to attend. Seeing the business side of consulting, working for a small company, learning Mandarin, and living in China were all experiences I was able to have.

Perhaps offering the opportunity to do two 3-month internships in addition to the option to do the 6-month one. Most employers are more used to this length and would be able to utilize the intern well in blocks of 3 months. The intern would also get to see two different companies, perhaps in two different cities.

Maddalena
Milano

Shanghaboulous!

I can't think of a particular history because my two months of experience were extremely full of discoveries and surprising. Starting from the Eastern culture that is totally different from Western. For me it was like living in a sort of a new world! It was amazing, i've met lots of people from all over the world, i found an incredibly mix of cultures that I loved. For example, It was interesting to see how do chinese behave and approach with a foreigner, it was funny when they asked you for a picture and suddenly you feel like a diva (once I was with my pyjamas in my worst conditions and taking a picture was embarassing), when a taxi driver didn't let me get on the taxi cause i was not chinese and he was afraid of not understanding me, when i spent lots of time inventing a gesture language but it was not enough; it was interesting trying all the chinese food (and even if when i was in SH i was thinking: "i'm done with this food" now i am starting feeling nostalgic about it), learning a bit of chinese was cool. I loved every single day of my experience.
I can say that i've grown both on personal and professional level,
I would do this experience thousands of time.

Maybe I can suggest to organise some activities or trip for immerQi students regardless of the number.

William
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Drexel University

The Most Important Thing when Living Abroad

There are a thousand different things that people say is important when living abroad but to me it comes down to just one, which is to establish a strong core group of friends. I was lucky enough to find my niche in the crowd almost upon my arrival to China. It is important to think of these people you are meeting as your second family with them constantly keeping you preoccupied with daily tasks to the extent that you almost forget that you are thousands of miles (or kilometers) from your friends and family. One of the biggest things I thought I would miss when traveling would be the holiday season. Whether that means a big Unites States Thanksgiving dinner or opening presents Christmas Day (and Hannukah). Fortunately my group of friends helped me celebrate the holidays by having me over to eat a delicious Thanksgiving Dinner with them that almost felt like I was home with my parents. I cooked the green bean casserole while my friends brought over the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and other holiday foods that allowed us to feast for days after. At the time I just thought of it as a meal with some friends to pass the time but looking back I see now a group of friends who, much like me, knew how far they were from their family but felt loved and cared for by the people around them in a way that, for that moment, was the only family you needed.

I would like the program to give me specific highlights that I should see that are near my city. For example, having the program give me a list of either cities, landmarks or fun places to travel either within Shanghai (where I am located) or outside. I had a basic plan for places to go but if I could get a list of places before I come to China, that would be preferred.

Laura
Alessandria, Italy

Events in Shanghai.

Dear all,

My internship at The Good Agency Asia consisted of marketing and event management. As a consequence, I took part in lots of events in Shanghai. I went to a pool party with my boss and the members of a financial company we worked for. We were in a house with a swimming pool and a barbecue and there we drank tequila, we ate hamburgers and we sang karaoke. Then I took part in two press conferences about two NGOs my company worked for: I had to be elegant, with a black dress, I took pictures, I helped my boss in the organization of the location and I met and spoke with a lot of important Shanghai's people. Another event I organized and I took part in consisted in the promotion of an NGO for which my collegue and me had to collect funds. The promotion was divided in two Saturdays: the first Saturday we worked 14 hours because we were at the so-called "Spotlight rythm and trend festival" which lasted untill 2am; the second Saturday we were at Mayita, a Mexican Restaurant on a rooftop in Shanghai, where we had fun, we drank beer and we met new people. Finally, we organized a private dinner to promote a brand company. This event was in our office: there was a barman, sushi, a photographer with a Polaroid and a deejay. In addition, for this company I worked as a model, so a photographer took pictures of me while wearing their bags.

These are few stories about my months in Shanghai, but they are enough to understand that I worked a lot and I had fun at the same time.

Laura

Simone
Milan

My investment banking internship in Beijing

I absolutely loved my experience here in Beijing! I worked in a investment/merchant bank and I had the possibility to "touch with my hands" the chinese business World. I made reports used by my boss in official negotiations, I attended meetings with senior investment bankers, I became familiar with financial models and I understood what really means to create a joint venture.
Beijing is a pretty cool city (in my opinion, it's better than Shanghai!): it offers every kind of service and, if you want, you can find easily western shops and restaurant. Life there is so good and so cheap, everything is affordable. I knew a lot of people from every side of the world there! It's simply amazing to have a such great group of people during the intership program.
The service offered by ImmerQi was simply perfect: very good accomodation, excellent help to impact a new culture and a very good organization about my internship. ImmerQi staff gave us the possibility to attend many events, from networking events (through one of ImmerQi chinese contacts, I was invited to travel to Tianjin to visit a local car factory together with Swiss and German offials) to cultural trips (like Great Wall and Summer Palace) and sportive days (I really enjoyed "rockclimbing day"!). ImmerQi people were always nice with me and a lot of time we went out together for a dinner or simply a drink after work: they were (and are) more friends than managers!
In the end, I suggest to everyone to join this program and these wonderful people! It will be an experiece you could not forget!

Nothing!!! It was simply wonderful!!!

Emmanuel
Shanghai, China

Great Experience

I got a lot out of my experience in Shanghai. I was lucky enough to work for the World's largest marketing company (albeit, it was in their shanghai office). I met great people. I discovered great activities!

They should include some information about religious needs. As a Christian, that also happens to be American, I wanted to find a church during my internship in Shanghai. ImmerQi did nothing to help me find one. I had to ask a coworker, who then led me to Shanghai Community Fellowship.

Shuna
Johns Hopkins University

A great way to experience China

I originally came to do an internship in Beijing for 2 months in an international hospital. My host company placement was very accommodating. The doctor I shadowed gave me a great learning experience and the general work environment was better than I ever expected it to be. It took a few weeks of trying to figure out my role in the hospital, but I was able to settle in and play a main part in revising policies, attending policy meetings, and preparing the hospital for international accreditation. It was a project I'm proud to have been a part of, so much that when my doctor asked me to extend my stay to help out further, I ended up staying a few weeks beyond my internship program.
Daily life in China is a fast-paced city lifestyle and sometimes it's hard to keep up with all the people here. But it was much easier with the help of the ImmerQi staff. They are extremely friendly, outgoing people who will take care of you from the start. Never hesitate if you want to ask them questions about living in China. My first couple weeks was a bit daunting, as I didn't really know anyone and my roommates weren't very social, but getting out and exploring the social scene is the best way to get to know people, and my experience of China became so much more enjoyable after I made a few close friends.

It'd be great if the prospective intern played a bigger part in securing his or her own internship. More communication with potential host companies prior to coming to China would've been very helpful when trying to explore options or find suitable job descriptions. I think the internship would be more beneficial professionally if this could be possible.

Emilie
Oslo, Norway

Wish I could do it again!!!

My time in Shanghai was amazing. It was fun to see how the chinese culture is, both in business and in the day to day life. My internship was not what I expected, so it took some time for me to adjust. But I feel that the experience I got from this internship has helped me grow and is going to be valuable for me when I work with different cultures. The staff in Shanghai is always there to help you, so you will always feel safe.

The information about the accommodation before arrival should be better.
Also the staff should ask about how the internship is going before the mid-evaluation.

Sameer
London, England
University of Essex

ImmerQi China Internship review

I took an internship in China in order to work in as many different fields within the healthcare industry, to gain experience and find some sort of career path for me to follow.

Working in an international hospital, I was allowed to work in a range of departments, with staff from all over the world. I was given a level of freedom and diversity I don't think I could get simply working in a company in my home country. Tasks include shadowing doctors, promoting the hospital at events, creating policy documents and working with patient services amongst many more.

ImmerQi were very helpful in the whole set up. From talking to me about what they can offer, to helping with visa issues (of which I had more than I care to admit), to helping me ease into life in China, ImmerQi were with me every step of the way. I'm glad I went with ImmerQi as I don't think it would have been possible for me to do it alone.

I had a number of difficulties moving across the world and trying to adapt to a completely different culture and a way of life, but the experience as a whole was definitely worthwhile. I highly recommend it.

The accommodation I was given could have been cleaner but the conditions were livable and the location was ideal.

Maj
Shanghai, china

thanks for a great time!

I joint ImmerQi program to have someone helping me settle down in Shanghai and to have someone to help with every day issues. I must say i always felt 100 % safe to have ImmerQi with me. The accommodation was just wonderful close to work and great apartment, I expected the worst and was pleasant surprised!
ImmerQi understud exactly what kind of firm i want to be in and helped me getting an internship were i really learnt something.
The Shanghai staff is the most friendly persons ready to help you when ever you need and with what ever you need.
I can only suggest ImmerQi to every other persons who want to have a internship in china feeling safe and home.

if ImmerQi chord change something I have only to things on my mind.
1. more career event to help how to gain new contact in China and more feedback on different thing you need to know on how to make business in china.

2. more feedback on the pre departure, I felt like the visa process was sent in the last minute and that I have to sent a lot of mail to make shire you got my mails and answer. If i haven´t travel that much before I would have felt alone in that process.

John
Germany

Hologramic Book

The day to day life is one that can't be found anywhere and the people you meet will possibly be your friends for the rest of your life. Excellently planned and excellent service. This expedition has opened my eyes and I now have a better, stronger and more charismatic understanding about myself. Life in China is like everywhere else, they have their own rules, ideas and regulations on how people should live and interact with each other. This shouldn't stop anyone, if you want a good challenge that not many people have taken before, look at going to China and immersing yourself in the culture. I recommend this 100% and I promise you'll have a great time.

A double and/or triple check/look at housing to make sure it meets living health and safety standards.

Fabienne
Beijing, China

Let me stay!

I have absolutely loved coming to Beijing. I wish I could stay longer.

It's so busy; the social, the internship,the shopping and of course the sight seeing!

The family I have been housed with have done all they can to look after me, even giving me a curfew. This is the only area in which I encountered a problem. The whole point of visiting Beijing is to experience everything, nightlife included. I think it is due to the family having young children but occassionly they don't mind me staying out or at a friends so it is working well now.

My most memorable part so far has to be Chinese New year at Lake HouHai, incredible. I was luckly enough to get in touch with all the TCC programme group, which was full of lovely guys and girls, many of whom I will stay friends with.

ImmerQi have been there the whole time, finding me buses, inviting me to networking events and making me feel more at home in this massive city.

I found price was an issue for me, especially considering I am planning University afterwards. But most programmes now-a-days are pretty pricey.

Since 2005, ImmerQi has been providing prospective teachers with teaching internships in China in addition to regular internship, culture & volunteer programs. ImmerQi Participants become culturally enriched and help strengthen the cultural ties between the east and the west. ImmerQi participants can choose from a