Intern in Shanghai with Absolute Internship

Spend this summer combining travel to Shanghai with a unique international internship experience. Explore the vibrant epicentre of China's growth whilst gaining valuable professional skills undertaking a full-time placement in your industry of choice.

Work in one of 30 industry options, including Business, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Non-Profit and Marketing/PR. Our company visits, career workshops and career speaker events are designed to improve your professional profile. Discover Shanghai and China through a selection of cultural activities, day trips and weekend excursions.

This is an all-inclusive program, including high-quality housing centrally located near the French Concession, cultural activities, group dinners, visa application assistance, and 24/7 on-site support.

Absolute Internship has been featured in the New York Times, BBC News, Bloomberg, and Forbes Magazine. We have placed 4000+ interns at over 800 companies worldwide.

• Take the next step along your career path with a world-class internship in your industry of choice.
  • Gain professional skills through career speaker events, company visits and career workshops.
  • Build unique experience that will help you stand out in a rapidly expanding job market.
  • Discover Shanghai on after-work activities and explore China on day and weekend trips.
  • Live in a multicultural environment with fellow Absolute Interns from across the globe. Enjoy 24/7 onsite support from your Absolute Internship Coordinator.

Shanghai Internship
B

An incredible experience

I joined the Shanghai program and while I was skeptical at first about my internship placement, it turned out to be the best internship I had. I am glad I trusted Absolute and their guidance for my internship in Shanghai. The experience without Absolute can't be the same as they help you get settle in Shanghai for the time you will be there which is generally short. The communication between their team, my university and myself went very smooth. I did feel a sense of care from the local staff in Shanghai as they kept checking up on us, meeting us and sharing their insights and knowledge about the city.
I met so many students and professional through the program and my internship, which would have been harder without going through an organized program. The weekend trip to Hangzhou was so cool.
My best tip is to go for it and trust that your experience as a whole will have a positive impact of your professional growth and your network. Shanghai is a city where you meet thousands of people
Grateful my university works with Absolute.

Rachel

So worth it!!

Absolute and the Shanghai Program went beyond all my expectations! The housing was well located and clean. The the career speakers and all the fun weekend activities were great. There was always something to do in Shanghai. It’s such an amazing city. Having all the interns living in the same building was incredible and it made it so easy for us to make friends. We had interns from Norway, Morocco, Thailand, US and so many other places.
The internship was very rewarding and my colleagues were very helpful and there for me during my 2 months in China.
The Absolute staff was incredible, very supportive and always checking in with us. Really appreciated the support from the Absolute team and the organization behind it. Definitely recommend this program!

Anita

1 month Shanghai Internship

Shanghai was one of the best experience I have had. Not only academically but socially as well. I gained many valuable experience learning from a new work place and Absolute provided me with networking opportunities and social events which I was extremely satisfied with. Not only did this experience look good on my CV but I also benefitted greatly from this experience and is now more ready stepping into the working industry.

Jasmine

Enriching Experience

My time in Shanghai seems like a blur. Between working and spending every free moment exploring the bustling and vibrant city, there was little time for sleep.

The program introduced me to other students and provided fun organized activities in which we were able to discover more about this unique city.

Overall the experience was a positive one, a unique opportunity to live in a different culture and learn from the peoples traditions, history and everyday habits. The program offered support and encouraged venturing into the city and learning from the rich history of China.

I think it would have been beneficial if we had been in contact with the reps more prior to arriving in shanghai. After speaking to the students who had come from the UK, I learned that there was definitely a lot more support available to them, (in terms of organizing legal documents, searching for jobs, etc.). I realize the program is still in it's early stages, especially in North America, but I think there is room for improvement in the communication between the student and the program.
Shelby

Best Summer of my Life

I had such an incredible 2 months while I was interning in Shanghai, China. Absolute Internship provided me with the perfect internship for my field as well as some amazing cultural experiences. The staff was super friendly and helpful and was really there for us throughout the entire program. Having never left the country before the staff made me feel at home and welcomed in a foreign country.

I wanted a Human Resources internship specifically in recruiting and they gave me exactly what I wanted. The company I interned with gave me real responsibilities including conducting interviews by myself. I couldn't have asked for a better internship experience.

Pick-up from the airport for a longer period of time on the day we arrive.
Antonia

My experience with Absolute in Shanghai

The Absolute team were great and I loved my internship placement. Being able to explore China on weekends and in the evening made the experience more enriching. Commuting to work everyday meant I was right in the forefront of Chinese workers trying to get to work. Living and socialising in the hotel with the other interns made the experience a lot of fun.

Being able to choose my own room mate
Toby

Valuable and Enjoyable Summer

I am a recent graduate of Nottingham University, one who had no experience in finance before this summer - in which I completed a 2 month internship in Shanghai. With the daunting prospect of facing the big wide world post graduation and very little experience in the finance industry I decided to invest in an Absolute Internship placement. This turned out to be extremely valuable. Since returning to England I have not yet had one CV rejected from an applications first review stage. Not only does the experience look incredible on my CV, I also gained a valuable insight into how financial services companies work. My role was as a data analyst, and although I now know this isn't the industry I want to pursue a career in, it did allow me to further develop my time management, team working and analytical. Overall I believe, it has accelerated my career path in finance hugely.

Not only was the professional side of the summer extremely worthwhile, the social aspect of the 2 months was amazing. I met a group of fun, driven, unforgettable people - and some of the places we visited and memories we had will last for a long time. Absolute did a great job organising weekend events and meals for us to attend, with them being completely free, or we would have to pay a very reasonable sum. As for the nightlife in Shanghai, it's pretty crazy. So if you like to enjoy yourself by clubbing, then Shanghai is probably the best city you can go to (obviously balance it with work though!).

Just 2 days before the 2 months was over I made a pretty late decision to go travelling around SE asia, because of this I had to send one of my suitcases back to the UK. It was initially pretty stressful as I wouldn't be able to give it to the courier before leaving Shanghai to SE asia, however I told the Absolute Internship team about my situation and they were very helpful. They stored the luggage at their office and did the required checks for the courier and from then on it all sorted itself out, arriving to the UK as planned.

More job opportunities in the internship placement process - I think this will come with time though as the company is only 5 years old.
Simone

Absolute Internship - Shanghai 2015

I have interned in Shanghai for two months, from the beginning of July to the end of August. It was the first time in Asia for me. Since the first day till the last one I spent there, I have been systematically impressed by the impressiveness of such a city, where history and modernity, Western and Eastern cultures get mixed so unpredictably. Shanghai is literally insane. Because of its titanic size, this can city can offer you whatever you are looking for, regardless of whatever time it can be, day or night.

However, despite being in Shanghai, a 20+ mln people metropolis, Absolute provided us with the chance to get a taste of some areas of China where the Western footprint is literally absent. On some lovely weekend- and day trips, we had the chance to escape for a while from the fast-paced Shanghai and get fully immersed into a completely different culture, where the time seems to be flowing more slowly.

Apart from the easy point that everyone can make regarding the internship giving a boost to the CV or the career, I would like to get focused on something else, i.e. some personal considerations.

I am very glad of this experience because it made me have a wider self-knowledge. It is more clear to me what I would like to do in my life and how much I am willing to give up for reaching what I want.

In a city such Shanghai, you probably realise much easier that there are plentiful of opportunities, just waiting for being taken. At the same time, you also realise that time is out of control and is mainly worth it to spend it on things that really matter.

Ashar

One month...but an unforgettable experience!

It is almost impossible for me to describe my thoughts, feelings and emotions in words. The bottom line is that it was the best month of my life!

I was persuaded by my brother, who had already done a month's internship in Shanghai and also been a Project Co-ordinator for Absolute in London, to take on this opportunity and be part of an amazing adventure. Although my expectations were quite high from all I had heard, I must say that those expectations were well exceeded and the programme delivered much more than I could imagine. I admire the passion of the Absolute team, especially Fredrik and Aurelie, who work very hard day and night to make the programme a memorable one for each intern. I enjoyed every part of it, be it the social aspect or the internship itself! I was fortunate to be part of an incredible group of people from all over the world. We all got along from the very first day and pretty much did everything together. I have made some friends for life and we have tried to stay in contact as much as possible since we got back.

Travelling to a foreign country is certainly an eye-opening experience. You learn a lot about the different culture, history and types of people, but most importantly you learn more about yourself and start to embrace your own self by exploring your strengths and accepting your weaknesses. No matter how long you go for, you'll surely come back with many memories and stories to share! It is simply an unforgettable experience!

Ruben

Summer full of fun, adventures, and experience.

One of the best decisions I have ever made in my life is interning in Shanghai with Absolute Internship. I made this decision since one of my best friends also had the pleasure of interning in summer 2014 with them, and now I understand why he talked amazing things about it. My friend told me if I had the opportunity to stay 2 months to go ahead and do it, so I did. Now, my advise is, if you have the opportunity to stay 3 months DO IT! Since I study in the United States, universities start in the middle of August, so there is no way I could have stayed for 3 months, but if it that wasn't the case, it would have been a whole different story.
Since the beginning in the airport, Absolute staff was so welcoming, I really did not knew what to expect, I was curious of how was it going to be to meet 20 new people and if we were going to get along. Turns out that my roomate, and the other interns are amazing persons and we practically were a family. I never thought that after the program ended I will still have contact with them. Everybody really bonded, including the 30 new interns that arrived on July (second month).
Now my experience with Absolute Internship, I am really happy with them, they made mine and our experince amazing. All the brunchs, dinners, day trips, weekend trips, that I had the opportunity to go, it was better than expected. The staff was amazing, everybody was very warming and welcoming. In my experince I had a problem in the first week and Absolute staff resolve the problem from one day to another, (I was expecting to take longer) since it was not an easy problem. I was more than pleased with their solution. My internship experience was amazing, since I had the opportunity to be involved in the business devolpement of a new company.
In conclusion, I would definatly recommend Absolute Internship. My experience in Shanghai was amazing, and I would never regret it. I miss all my friends that I made and staff. Again, thank you Absolute for giving me the best two months of my life.

Julia

The summer of my life

This summer I had the great pleasure to spend two months in Shanghai with Absolute Internship. I remember being nervous how it was going to be before taking off from Helsinki airport even though, I had lived abroad before. The adventure I was about to experience turned out to become the best two months of my life.
From the first day getting to know all the other interns I knew I would have a great time. Still, I did not quite know what to expect but I was excited to find out. The first weekend we got to explore the city and the entire group of us interns bonded quickly. The interns already there took us out partying and we had gained even more friends. By this time I knew it was a great decision to come to Shanghai.
The internship itself in Business Development was a great learning experience. I learned the business environment in Shanghai fast and got to know how the business was operating. I was also able to take positions of responsibility as well as teamwork, which I really enjoyed.
Shanghai as a city was better than I could have ever imagined. There was always something to do, whether it was clubbing, dining, pool parties, networking, art exhibits...Anything!
However, the best part of it all was the people. Not only the fellow interns but also the Absolute staff. Everyone was welcoming from day one and genuinely cared for each other. All trips organised were to make the experience best possible for us and it truly was amazing! I was also really happy with my flatmates whom I loved living with.
Overall, the the experience was beyond amazing. It feels like a dream, but only it was true! I am still regularly in touch with my friends from work, flatmates, the other interns as well as Absolute staff and directors. Needless to say, the best experience I have had.

Anna

Will always recommend Absolute Shanghai

I have so much to say about my time in Shanghai but I just want to say I am forever grateful to Absolute for an amazing summer. Great welcome experience, great internship, great on site team, great fellow interns... and the most important for me was the great structure behind the program. It is something to have an internship abroad but to have a solid structure is what made my time absolutely amazing.

Samuel

Interning in Shanghai

Interning in Shanghai was really great - I enjoyed it from start to finish and met some very interesting people. The internship provided me with a great experience that was different and meaningful for my future career. Absolute Internship did excellent in every regard and I feel thankful that they provided me with such a nice opportunity. I'd love to go back in the future!

Anna

An Incredible Summer

I joined Absolute Internship in Shanghai during the summer 2014 and I had a great time.
I chose Business Development as my industry and was placed at a medium size tech company where I mainly worked on marketing campaigns and research for the development a new product into the market.
Absolute covered every organizational aspects of the program from airport pick up to getting is a sim card, travel card, dinners, weekend trips, acrobatic shows...
We also had two coordinators that were living with us and were helping us with pretty much everything.

I definitely recommend the program to anyone ready to add a professional experience to their degree.

Disgruntled

Dodgy with awful customer service

QUICK OVERVIEW: they did not place me in the industry/work position that I requested, they messed up my visa, and then attempted to deny responsibility for their transgressions.

I am not one to complain, but I really feel people should be made aware of the more unpleasant experience I had with the company.

I made initial contact with Absolute Internship 6 months before the internship start date. I told them exactly the kind of industry I wanted to work in, and what I wanted out of the internship. They told me that was not a problem and they would find a placement that suited me.

Cut to 1 month before the internship, and I still haven't heard anything about my placement. After several contact attempts, they inform me of my placement...which is in an industry completely different to the one I requested. When I complained of this, they insisted this was a perfect fit for me. Not wanting to turn down a good opportunity, I decided to give it my all and try to make the most out of the internship. Of course, that did not happen, and even after complaining numerous times, they said there was nothing to be done. I was stuck in an internship I did not ask for that did not contribute at all to my career development.

And the visa? They promised full assistance. Not only did they give me the wrong visa, but they then attempted to tell me it was my fault for not getting the correct visa.

Also, the guarantee they have on their website to respond in 24 hours? Absolute rubbish. There were several occasions where it would take weeks and countless phone calls and emails to even illicit one response from them.

Bottom line: it's not worth the money. You won't get the professional growth that you are looking for and you will just be out of pocket.

Response from Absolute Internship

Thank you so much for leaving a review here on Go-Overseas.

We are tremendously sadden to read your review as we believe your review does not reflect our program in a fair manner. We had a fantastic summer in Shanghai with lots of positive response from participants who loved the program.

We believe that our positive reviews here on Go Overseas speak for themselves.

Absolute Internship is proud to be the only program in China to have on-site staff that lives in the same building as the participants available 24-hour a day, in addition to offices where participants are welcome to visit.

We are disappointed that you never came and knocked on our door. It was always open for you and the other participants. Our team is always there via phone, email and SMS for our participants. We have a strict 24-hour policy that our team members follow in terms of returning emails, phone calls or text messages. This is a policy that has proven to be tremendously appreciated by previous participants (and current ones).

We do our utmost to ensure that participants are well-informed about which visa type they must apply for, but politely and respectfully understand that Absolute Internship cannot be held responsible for the outcome of your visa application as this is under the hands of the respective China Visa Center in the world.

We understand that this was something that caused unnecessary stress for you. As we are proud to always walk the extra mile for our participants, we offered to compensate for your oversea trip when applying for another visa. In addition, we ensured that our company representative in this country assisted you and compensated for your new visa.
Once again, we are extremely sadden that you feel that this gesture was not at your satisfactory.

In regards to your internship placement, Absolute Internship guarantees each participant an internship in their industry of interest. We don’t offer any second or third options as other programs. It was our understanding that your internship was in your desired sector, but that you unfortunately did not feel comfortable in the role. Due to this, we ensured that you were assigned to another department, which you were pleased with and truly excelled.

You were offered a full-time position at the company, which we were extremely proud of so this review really saddens us.

On a last note, Absolute Internship provided multiple Career Speakers Series during your time in Shanghai including an event with an ultra successful Swedish Billionaire, a leading Head Hunting Firm, a leading American beauty Firm as well as a world leading Coffee Brand.

We noticed that you did not attend any of the events although we highly recommend that to our participants as they bring tremendous value.

Thank you once again for taking part of our Shanghai Internship Program.

With our best regards,
Absolute Internship

No, I don't recommend this program

About Absolute Internship

Absolute Internship is an award-winning global internship program. We offer students the opportunity to broaden their professional and social network whilst gaining invaluable skills in their industry of choice. Since our inception in 2009 we have...