International Internships in Shanghai with The Intern Group

Final Places Available for Summer Internships

There are only a couple of places remaining for The Intern Group's summer internship programs. Apply now to intern abroad this summer!

Shanghai is the industrial and commercial capital of China. We offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable work experience in one the world's most dynamic cities. Professional experience in Shanghai will allow you to grow your network of international contacts and enhance your career prospects.

Partnering with a range of companies, organizations and NGOs, our international internship program will boost your professional development. We offer programs for people of all backgrounds and experience levels. Current student or recent graduate? Take this chance to gain experience that will make your resume stand out. Not sure what you want to study yet? Take a gap year to test-drive your career. Professional in transition? Gain experience in your new field.

Hi Yanyu, thanks for your great question! The program is available to candidates from all over the world, not only American citizens.

Orsell

'beckon beckon -insightful opinion of Mr Biokou

I really enjoyed my time in Shanghai. It is an exciting, dynamic city, with so much to do - you will never find yourself bored! It was an amazing experience .The placement helped to accelerate my professional development, and I felt valued within my company. The accommodation was excellent; the apartments organized by TIG were in an ideal location, and the flats themselves were really spacious with a cleaning service , The level of support in-country was superb - Tommy is the GOAT ,he will help you with everything anything ,he knows everything in shanghai ,from the best place for a professional Seminar to the best place for a night out .he has the key of Shanghai city .Shanghai itself takes a moment or two to get used to, but it's a lot of fun once you do. Socially it's great, with a load of restaurants, bars and nightclubs. It also has a very well-developed public transportation system; I found the metro particularly efficient/affordable, and it's well air-conditioned which is important as Shanghai is very hot during the summer months! I also always felt safe while I was in Shanghai so don't worry on that front. Overall, would definitely the Intern Group program there!

I recommend TIG to work more on providing help/assistance regarding the visa and to do more research to find Intern company for applicant
Domenicque

Amazing experience

My experience with the Shanghai internship with the intern-group was absolutely amazing. For a very long time I wanted to return to China and visit Shanghai and the program from TIG was exactly what I was looking for! Even though I was there for a month I felt that I grew so much as a person and learned so much from my internship. Tommy and Olivia help make the program stand out by planning really awesome events for us from awesome networking events to dinners with the rest of the interns along with other social events to interact with each other. The people you meet on this intern program are also amazing, I had the pleasure meeting so many people in such little time I wish I could've stayed longer but even now we still keep in touch! In the end 10/10 would recommend!! From the staff on site to the endless events available within the program and the beautiful sights!

Henry

Very good

This was a fantastic experience for me, and I feel my future career prospects are much better off for it. Tommy and Olivia were very nice and helpful with assisting us with any issues and with adapting to the new environment. Beyond that, the housing was nice and commuting was never too long. The work itself was valuable and I believe anyone would find it very beneficial for their development. Overall, I would definitely recommend The Intern Group in Shanghai.

William

Shanghai Internship

My internship in Shanghai this summer was an extremely rich and rewarding experience that I will remember for a lifetime. The Intern Group was fantastic in facilitating the process of getting me started, finding me a great company, helping me with the VISA, and supporting me once I got into the country. I specifically want to thank Olivia for taking the time to sit down and have lunch with me to discuss how I was doing at my placement and if I had any concerns or issues. She is an extremely kind and enjoyable person to talk to. It is clear that she cares about all of her interns and wants them to have the best experience possible; her and Tommy did a great job in letting us know about all the fun events and activities that were available. The Intern Group Shanghai is amazing and I would definitely recommend the program to anyone who is interested in an internship abroad! 10/10!

Ming

Shanghai Internship

I had a great time in my 6 months in Shanghai. During the stay, I was well looked after by Tommy and Olivia who organised regular events and informed us of any other activities happening around the city that may be of interest. They also provided helpful suggestions in regards to recommendations of restaurants and where to go during the long weekends. I was doing meaningful work at the company I was interning at (BlockAero), who provided me with valuable experience in regards to software development. I look forward to coming back to Shanghai soon!

Giorgio

An unforgettable experience!

My 6 months in Shanghai enabled me to learn a great deal and gave me some incredible exposure to a new culture and the thriving Fintech scene in China. My internship was in a very interesting field and although the company was relatively small, I was given significant responsibilities. My experience would not have been the same without the amazing programme coordinators in Shanghai, particularly Tommy, (someone I now consider a close friend) who went above and beyond to ensure that myself and the other interns were always entertained and well taken care of! I hope to return to Shanghai someday and would definitely recommend the intern group to anyone looking for international experience!

I opted to find my own apartment in Shanghai, as I was there for 6 months and felt that the price of the provided accommodation did not reflect it's quality and location. (I was able to find something much nicer in a better location for a similar price). Although I learnt a lot during my internship, I did find the company to be a lot smaller than I had expected, especially in contrast to some of the big company names that were featured on the intern group website. Therefore at times I was left bored and doing menial tasks at work. Furthermore, I felt that assigning me a company that matched my criteria felt rather rushed and I was encouraged to accept one of the first 2 companies that were suggested, even after I expressed some doubts. Other than this, the experience was great!
Brady

What a great time!

My only regret is I wish I stayed for longer! This was a great experience, I loved working for my company and thoroughly enjoyed the lifestyle Shanghai provided. The intern group was able to place me with an amazing company with a great work environment and colleagues. My accommodation was great and the Intern Group team here in Shanghai has been amazing always organising fun things to do each day. Looking back on the last two months it has been amazing and I will very much miss living here and hanging out with all the friends I have made. For anyone looking to get involved with the Intern Group I highly recommend it, it has been a great experience and I can't wait to come back to Shanghai.

Beatrice

ShangWHY?

I absolutely loved the vibes of Shanghai. The city is beautiful and buzzing since there is ALWAYS something on whether you’re looking for a business/networking or social events. Shanghai staff were impeccable in recommending you just about anything from experiences to restaurants that will make you feel like a local. My work experience was relevant to my field of study and I definitely value the things that I learnt from the opportunity. However, there is no avoiding some days where you are just doing admin work. On the other hand, the social aspect and the fun factor of Shanghai is undoubtedly unmatched. There is something for everyone whether you’re into food, shopping, sight-seeing, bars and clubs and even theme parks. The accommodation was pretty comfortable and very close to the train station and the food mall! A friendly tip to not understimate the weather in Shanghai, I was there during Winter (Nov-Dec) so pack warm. In terms of communication, you can survive knowing absolutely no Chinese, but I strongly suggest that you know the super basic day-to-day speech (ordering food, taxi situation, numbers/quantity/price etc.) because it’ll make your life easier- trust me! What really made my experience memorable were the awesome people that I met over there. The group of interns were a good squad size and you really form special bonds and memories together. All in all, I came into this internship not knowing what to expect and I couldn't have asked for a better experience! I would definitely recommend this to anyone and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Osama

Shanghai Times!

Honestly, TIG gave me a great opportunity to have a lifetime experience leaving in mind plenty of wonderful memories! My experience in Shanghai exceeded my expectations in too many levels and it could have never happened without the amazing group of interns and the awesome Shanghai staff. Part of my heart will always stay in Shanghai wherever I go❤️. And off course special thanks to Tommy “best event coordinator ever” and most fun person you can ever meet. What makes TIG different is that they make sure you are having an easy life abroad being surrounded by an atmosphere full of fun and energy allowing you to just fall in love with the city you are visiting. I will definitely go for it again asap!!!

Joshua

Very Worthwhile Experience

I would thoroughly recommend this program to anyone considering it. Shanghai is an amazing city, with an abundance of energy. There's always something happening and if you're at all interested in affordable food, shopping and a quality nightlife it's the place for you. The program itself was also very good. The staff here are absolutely amazing. They go far and beyond the call of duty to show you around and make you feel as much at home as possible. Any queries were answered immediately and they took a genuine interest in your development. You become very close with the other interns, although the numbers vary a bit during the year. My job was relevant and the work culture welcoming. The living conditions were much better than expected. Big apartments by Shanghai standards and a very central location. Overall would give it a solid 9/10 and would probably do another internship through them if I had the money.

No major improvements needed, but good to check how many other interns will be present when you're there and what specific job role you will be fulfilling.
J

Great Program

Before applying for this internship in Shanghai I had some doubt, but they quickly cleared out once I started my internship. Even though there were some communications and management issues between my company and the TIG staff at the beginning, they were quickly resolved. This internship helped me grow as an individual both at the professional and personal level. Also, I would like to give a special thanks to Tommy, the event and communication coordinator. He helped me resolve any issues and was available during any time of the day. Great guy with a great personality.

Roberto

My great experience in Shanghai

A friend brought this opportunity to my attention . Now that it's ended I can only say thanks to that friend and suggest this experience myself. It was great! The accommodation was comfortable, clean and convenient. The internship gave me the experience and the responsibilities I was looking for. Shanghai is a very fast-paced city, you will never get bored there! It offers outstanding chances to build an initial professional network. The people I met there were incredible and I'm sure I will keep in touch with them. Finally, what really differentiated this program from the others was Tommy. He was a friend first, and a great program coordinator I could always count on. To conclude, the Intern Group Shanghai is something everyone should try!

I would have liked to be more engaged in the selection process for my internship
Joseph

6-week Internship with TIG in Shanghai

I really enjoyed my time in Shanghai. It is an exciting, dynamic city, with so much to do - you will never find yourself bored! The placement helped to accelerate my professional development, and I felt valued within my company. The accommodation was excellent; the apartments organized by TIG were in an ideal location, and the flats themselves were really spacious. The level of support in-country was superb - Tommy, the coordinator in Shanghai, will promptly help you with any issues your might have during your program, and was always ready to provide good recommendations/guidance. Shanghai itself takes a moment or two to get used to, but it's a lot of fun once you do. Socially it's great, with a load of restaurants, bars and nightclubs. It also has a very well-developed public transportation system; I found the metro particularly efficient/affordable, and it's well air-conditioned which is important as Shanghai is very hot during the summer months! I also always felt safe while I was in Shanghai so don't worry on that front. Overall, would certainly recommend the Intern Group program there!

The level of support before my program began could have been better. I received mixed messages regarding the best way to apply for my visa, and TIG was eventually unable to obtain an invitation letter from my original placement company so I was forced to switch to a new company at the last minute. This created extra stress in obtaining the visa.
Alexandra

Great Experience

Since I wanted to do something fun, but also would help me grow as an individual, I had no doubt that I wanted to do an internship abroad. I looked at many different programs similar to the Intern Group and ultimately chose this one because this was the only program I found that allowed me to go as a 17 year old. It was probably the best decision of my life this far - I was matched with an amazing fashion related internship, the housing was very comfortable and convenient, and there was always support whenever I needed it during my time in Shanghai. Definitely an experience worth considering!

Kenan

Great Opportunity!

I was so grateful to have done my first internship in China. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is seriously considering working abroad long-term. My program coordinator was incredible and honestly made the experience so much more enjoyable. I also really enjoyed the included events, such as the trip to Suzhou and the Chinese cooking class. Overall, I had a great experience and I definitely plan on coming back to China!

For a new program, things ran relatively smoothly. The only changes I might suggest would be better communication before the program starts (more help with the visa application process, a better breakdown of projected costs of living upfront, more accurate descriptions of internship positions, etc).

About The Intern Group

The Intern Group is one of the leading providers of international internships. Our programs are located in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia & Latin America. We place participants from all over the world in international internships that propel...