International Internships in Colombia with The Intern Group

International Internships in Colombia with The Intern Group

The Intern Group's Global Leadership Grants 2018
The Intern Group is pleased to announce that they are offering 4 Global Leadership Grants of up to $2,500 each to 4 outstanding students/recent graduates. The grants are for The Intern Group's programs in Dublin, Australia, Shanghai and Latin America for Summer/Fall 2018. The deadline is February 2nd, 2018.

We offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable work experience in one of the world's most exciting and fastest-growing economies, Colombia. During your internship abroad, you will gain hands-on professional experience and build a network for your future career. Your internship in Latin America will make you stand out from your peers.

We are extremely proud of the partnerships that we have with leading companies and organizations. We've previously placed interns at BanColombia, FIFA, and The Colombian Government.

As an intern in Colombia, your program includes accommodation, airport pick up and drop off, regular social and cultural events, professional development tools and workshop, 24/7 emergency assistance, optional Spanish classes and many other great benefits. Apply now to our award-winning program featured in CNN, TIME and Forbes.

• Have a top-class international internship in Colombia! Our personalised process ensures that you will be working in the industry sector of your choice, in a role that is tailored to your professional goals.
  • For non native-Spanish speakers, perfect your language! Learn Spanish from some of the clearest Spanish speakers in the world.
  • It makes your resume stand out! In todays society, everyone does sport, plays an instrument and is part of a society. As one of millions of young people applying for their first job, you need to find a way to jump off the page!
  • Make friends and professional networks in Colombia and from all over the world! Whether you like it or not, its not what you know, its who you know.
  • Have an amazing life experience in Colombia! We know that moving to a new place can be nerve-racking. Thats why our team on the ground is made up of Colombians who are there to give you support 24/7.
South America » Colombia » Medellin
SIM cards
Resume
Weekly Hours
* Accommodation
* Airport pick up and drop off
* Professional development tools and workshop
* A top internship in your field of interest (we offer all sectors)
* 24/7 support from our full time Colombia based team
* Social and cultural events with our large international community of interns!

Okay perfect, thank you so much!
Language can be a hurdle. You need to go with the intent of learning Spanish as to communicate better. They really appreciate it. Time is also not as strict, I remember getting to work for 8am as this was the designated start time and I was the only person there, so that is a little bit different. Apart from that, they are very friendly and curious to learn more, so just relax and enjoy!

William
United Kingdom
London School of Economics

Venture Capital Internship in Medellin

Took part in a 2 month internship program facilitated by The Intern Group in summer 2017. The whole experience was amazing, from application they then organised interviews in my chosen sector, sorted all the accommodation etc and helped us to have fun and explore Colombia throughout the trip. Everything went really smoothly and had the added bonus when I arrived that the accommodation had a pool, basketball court and a gym! Learnt loads from the placement but as well as that managed to experience the city and culture. The support they provide is excellent, even have a doctor available they can call for you at any time! (Although I did have to resist calling for help after having a bit too much aguardiente the night before a few times...)

Few more hours in the day would be good... there's so much to see and do!

Stephanie

International Internship in Medellin

The Intern Group really surpassed my expectations! From picking us up from the airport after a long day of travelling to ensuring we had modern and clean apartments to live in throughout the 8 weeks, they really did think of everything! There was the perfect amount of social activities organised by The Intern Group to meet other interns and see the city as a local. I would highly recommend the internship programme in Medellin. The internship I was placed in was so rewarding and my colleagues were all so friendly and supportive! The work/life balance is incredible in Colombia and Medellin is a city that I felt safe in at all times. Though I had a good level of Spanish before arriving, I would say learning a few Spanish phrases goes a long way! Medellin is a beautiful place with the friendliest people and The Intern Group really added to the experience by always being there I had any problems or questions!

If you have the opportunity to go, do it! It was the best thing I've done whilst at university and Medellin is a city I will be returning to as soon as I can!

NA

Becca

The Intern Group gave me the best experience of my life!

I cannot speak highly enough of my internship abroad in Medellin with The Intern Group. From the moment I applied online to when the time came to say goodbye to my second home, The Intern Group showed me that they truly care about their participants and believe in their mission to inspire global leaders. I not only had an outstanding internship experience at the company where I worked, but I also gained lifelong friends from around the world. I was able to create and execute a digital marketing plan for the company I worked for, which immensely helped to make my resume stand out when looking for a job post graduation. The accommodation was stellar (better than any apartment I've ever lived in while in the United States!) and the team is caring, intelligent, and they go above and beyond the standard to ensure you have an amazing time. If you're considering doing the program - don't hesitate! You will undoubtedly have the experience of a lifetime!

N/A

Andrea
London
King's College London

My experience in Medellin, Colombia

I had the incredible opportunity to do an internship in Medellin, Colombia. I worked as a content producer for a national TV show, which was an enriching and challenging experience. I learnt very much and grew dramatically as a professional. At my work place I experienced dynamic growth, having the opportunity to transfer my knowledge into real work environment.

My overall experience with the InterGroup was absolutely incredible. The stuff is extremely supportive, the accommodation is beautiful and I felt safe and very well taken care of during my stay there.

I would encourage everyone to go and experience what Colombia has to offer. You will not be disappointed.

The question is not how many doubts you have, or how scared you are to get out of your comfort zone, but how much joy and growth you will experience once you get there!

Kapalasa Viola
Russia

Kapalasa's Medellin diary

Everyday i wake up asking myself when im going back because I'd definitely do this twice over.
The journey was emotional and LONG! i had lots of obstacles from the very start till when i finally got to Medellin. My application process started over a year prior to my departure but Erika (the programs coordinator) helped me through till i got there. Being a medical doctor in training , i had no other option but to do it in Medellin and more so i had to have a satisfactory level of spanish to be able to intern in the hospital, and now im grateful that was the case because i got to merge the three things im most passionate about; medicine, language and traveling.
The people of Medellin, 'Paisas' as the're locally called are the warmest , most friendly culture ive come into contact with. My favourite part was becoming a local, people were only able to recognise me as a foreigner when they heard how i spoke spanish but then i blended in pretty well(atleast i like to think i did). The doctors i worked with helped me understand alot more along the way: i worked in one of the poor parts of the city in a government hospital and hence even my approach to the experiance and even the people changed and made me more accomodating, more understanding.
There's so much to see and do in Medellin,there's literally no room to get bored there. The city is like a photographers paradise and the team at Intern Latin America made it even better. I hope i can go back one day, maybe not as an intern but just to visit and to the team that made my experience one to remember - Joanna, Monica, Erika Adrianna and Becca - THANK YOU!

More destinations for medical interns.... though i dont regret going to Colombia <3

Muhammad

The Greatest Growth in my Life

Truly, I struggle to think of how I could have enjoyed myself or learned any more than I did within my 3 months of interning in Bancolombia's High Impact Entrepreneurship and Strategy Consulting division due to The Intern Group. You will see the same sentiment echoed repeatedly throughout these reviews - Medellín was heaven on earth and the greatest work/cultural immersion experience of my life. My work was intellectually challenging and meaningful (rare in the banking sector in the United States), where I was truly making a positive impact for the poor class of Colombia, and I formed strategic work relationships and personal friendships that will serve me well in my future, undeniably. At the age of 21, nowhere else would I have had the opportunity to work within venture capital projects, agro-finance (with the World Economic Forum), strategy consulting, and entrepreneurship all within the course of 3 months. Not only was I personally introduced to the highest echelons of the bank (like the Director of Innovation), but I was treated as a true worker and integral part of the workplace.

Separately, the tours and suggestions for cultural events such as salsa dancing were planned by The Intern Group extremely well. These permitted the interns to spend more time with one another, and I still keep in regular contact with more than five of my fellow interns. The workshops were fantastic and we were given unprecedented access to a global marketing superstar with clients like Apple and Google named "Brian" who gave pertinent tailored advice on personal branding, which is more important now than ever. I fell in love with the friendliest people on the planet, paisas, the weather, and everything about Colombia. I literally intend on living there in the future. The most impressive part of the experience, however, was the personalized attention and herculean effort made by the Intern Group women making the experience as streamlined as possible to allow you to grow as an adult and professional. From arranging all of the travel paperwork, to world class accommodations, to giving you helpful tips about phone packages in Colombia, the professionalism of the Intern Group cannot be overstated. Erika Londoño went above and beyond the job in every capacity, and the same applies for Adriana Ferrer, who elevated the proverbial bar for the paisa people by literally being in the top five genuinely nicest/kindest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. If I can be half the professional that these two ladies are in my career one day, I have no doubt I will be successful. As an economist and financier by trade, interning in Colombia through The Intern Group is the greatest return on my investment I have ever made, and that you will likely make if accepted for the program. Don't think twice. Apply for The Intern Group internship and forever change your life for the better. I can guarantee you will not regret it.

I struggle to say how the program can be improved. Truly, it was a life changing experience, and I cannot imagine being in better hands than the incredibly passionate and skilled TIG ("The Intern Group").

Lenin
University of California- San Diego

The Hidden Gem of International Work Experience.

Hi! Lenin Ballesteros, Colombian program. Well, immediately upon arrival, I fell in love with the Intern Group. They arranged for a driver to pick me up from the airport, which is was EXTREMELY helpful because the airport is about 45 minutes from the city. But this guy was the best -- I was hungry and he pulled over at this amazing sandwich shop, lent me some money, and helped me to order. And, also, this was all at around 1AM. Yet, somehow, my experience in Medellín only went uphill from there. If you want to know all the details about that, feel free to contact me. But in short, what I loved about my experience in Medellín, and what I will never forget, are the people. The people of this city are the most genuine, the most caring, and the most hopeful people I have ever found on this earth. You'll find them in the airport, in the streets, in the international travel start-ups, or even in a midnight taxi.

Graham
Chapel Hill

Awesome time in Medellin

I had an awesome experience with the Intern Group in Medellin, Colombia. Being at the beginning of my studies at Uni I did not have anything specifically I needed out of a job so I did not go in with any specific needs. The job I was placed with was at a University and I loved it. The people I worked with were great and became some of my closest friends. I will say that anyone that wants to work here has to realize that things work slower here and in many cases you are responsible for finding things to do. If you sit back and do nothing likely that is what you will continue to do. As far as living in Medellin, I would recommend it to anyone. Despite its negative reputation, if one follows common sense then one can pretty easily avoid any problems. This being not walking home alone at night or going to the sketchier areas of the city without someone who knows the area. Having travelled in many cities around the world, I can attest that this was nowhere near unsafe. The nightlife is incredible and there are always things to do. There is a great expat community that live there and Colombian people are some of the nicest you will meet. On top of that scene there are good dining options and everything is much cheaper than you would find in Europe or the USA. Finally, the Intern Group team were truly awesome. They always went out of their way to help out when I had things like Visa problems and they would check in to see how my internship was going. They also organized some good activities and trips that were fun and allowed me to make good friends among my fellow interns. My housing situation was stellar although I had the nicest apartment in the program. I had my own room and bathroom on top of being on the 18th floor with a great view of Poblado. In addressing the price of the program, it may seem expensive but I found it cheaper than any other options at my university. I personally feel like the money was worth it as it allowed me to do this fairly last minute and not have to worry about figuring out an internship, housing, visa issues and such. In conclusion, Medellin is an incredible city that it still somewhat under the radar so now is a great time to go. The Intern Group is great and very helpful, and the accommodations are great. I would recommend this program to anyone who can and will definitely be returning as soon as I can!

Rafael
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Arizona State University

Experience of a Lifetime

My experience with Intern Latin America (ILA) was absolutely fantastic! As a mechanical engineering student I had the opportunity to work with the maintenance engineering team in a company that produces batteries. I had no idea how batteries were made and I can probably recite the process by heart after my time there. Furthermore, one of the things I valued most about my experience was that this opportunity gave me insight on a completely new aspect of mechanical engineering: maintenance. I had the opportunity to study a specific machine in detail to try and figure out the main causes of its down times. I studied maintenance protocols and had the opportunity to suggest actions to take in order to prevent the down times. This was especially important to me because my school curriculum is more focused towards the design aspect of engineering, rather than other important parts of the job such as maintenance. Also, apart from the technical things, the entire company took me in with open arms and made me feel at home immediately; this was very valuable to me.
As for the ILA team, I am beyond satisfied with their work and support! They were so quick to answer and react to any and every issue that came up. From injuries to lost keys, they handled anything that was thrown at them. Furthermore, their cultural involvement strategies were on point! We got so many notifications informing us of activities that would help us international people to really live the local culture and get immersed in it: soccer game viewing events, local food tasting, city tours, and much more!
I remember posting a picture on Instagram and the caption was: "Eight weeks is not going to be enough!" However, I now see even more how true the statement was!
Thank you Intern Latin America for the experience of a lifetime!!

Grace
Adelaide
University of Adelaide

Highly recommended experience!

My time in Colombia was amazing! If it is something you are considering, I say definitely do it, you will not regret it! The staff at Intern Latin America, especially Erika and Adrianna, have been so incredibly helpful and I feel like I have made new friends in them. The welcome and support they gave me throughout my trip made the experience what it was. I will always remember my time in Medellin!

Sylvester
London
University of Manchester

6 month internship in Medellin, Colombia

In my second week at work, one of my colleagues asked if I wanted to go to the Silvestre Dangond (Vallenato artiste in Colombia) and as I was still new and open to everything in Medellin, I decided to go. Needless to say, it was the single best concert I have ever been to! I can actually say that I have NEVER EVER danced so much in my entire life. Very sore knees afterwards, but very fun memories!

I am struggling with this question to be honest, because my experience was positive throughout. The impact that Intern Latin America has on interns goes far beyond providing work experience. It goes far far beyond that. It really has influenced my personal and professional life and it was one of the single most important decisions I have had to make. If anything, I would encourage ILA to try to source paid internships. No matter how small the pay may be, being paid is an added incentive to work harder and to realise the importance and relevance of the internship. That would be my only comment.

Kyle
Hanover

1st rate support and opportunities. I highly recommend.

The Intern Group is a program that will benefit both seasoned travelers/interns and those new to the international/internship scene. I have never met a team more dedicated to making sure you succeed than Adri, Erika, Johanna, and Monica. Throughout my three month internship in Medellín, I could count on the help and support of those four.

They will work with you to fix any problem that arises. They will help organize great experiences that you'd like to have. This is more than an internship abroad; it's an opportunity to grow professional and socially. I've never been a part of such a diverse and interesting group of people. I've made connections with interns and individuals from over thirty different countries across six continents with this program.

In regards to the internship itself, they will work to get you an interview and placement in a position you're interested in. I'm interested in government and security; they helped me get a position to intern with the Colombian government related to security and technology. Where else are you going to be able to do that as a foreigner?

The Intern Group doesn't just benefit oneself while in Medellín, but also once you return home. Having this international experience has garnered the attention of a number of employers that I'm interested in. This experience has made my resume competitive enough to get interviews with the places I want to work at, including Booz Allen, Microsoft, and the National Security Agency! One of my intern friends even got her job before starting her internship when someone saw this on her LinkedIn.

I highly recommend the Intern Group. You won't regret choosing them.

James

Accommodation Complaints

Hello reader,

I spent six months doing the programme so I feel like I can put forward my point of view fairly. I study Spanish at University and so my main aim when coming to Colombia was to improve my language. I made this known to the Intern Group from day 1; however, it took them two months to find accommodation in Medellin with a native Spanish speaker. I made it clear that I did not want to live with native English speakers, as nice as they were, and that I wanted to live with locals; however, for a company with such good connections, it does appear that all they wanted to do was put me in their overpriced standard accommodation. Every time I tried to get information from the team about who I would be living with, where I would be living, what was it like, etc. (basic questions I feel), they were not very forthcoming. Then when they found me accommodation they did not know about the state of the new apartment (there were cameras in the kitchen, Big Brother esque).

Aside from my constant problems that I had regarding accommodation, my internship was for the most part a 6/10, the safety is a big 10/10 if you are looking for the Poblado area which is not really living the foreign experience. The team are all very nice and helpful, which they should be, and the city is amazing. I think the internships can be the luck of the draw as many people loved theirs, and others hated it. If you are looking for the full hampering package, never been to a third world country etc. then the Intern Group is right for you. However, to the person that wants to take a little bit more out of the experience which that vast sum of money costs you...be careful.

Response from The Intern Group

Hi James,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the city of Medellín and that you found our Colombian team helpful. We are also glad that you felt safe as our interns’ safety is one of our main priorities. El Poblado is the safest neighborhood in the city, which is why our interns live there.

We want to take a moment to thank you for your feedback and address some of your complaints. Feedback helps us to continuously improve our programs so that our interns have the best experience abroad possible. We are sorry that you were unhappy with the amount of time that it took us to switch you from our standard accommodation (in El Poblado) to an accommodation with local Spanish speakers. Given that your request to live with Spanish speakers came in after you had already arrived in Medellín, that option was unavailable. We thought that we made it clear that we could not guarantee the switch due to availability, but we did manage to find a solution anyway. You were able to move in with locals after another intern had left the program and a spot cleared up for you.

The accommodation that you are referring to with the video cameras in the kitchen was not actually where you lived. This was an accommodation provider that we used previously and no longer work with. We also found the video cameras to be odd and when we found out about them, we discontinued our agreement with them. Interns no longer stay in that accommodation.

We are sorry that you felt the program did not live up to your standards due to the accommodation situation. We never intended for you to feel this way and can assure you that we did everything in our power to help you. Thank you again for the feedback and we will take it into consideration for future participants.

Best,
The Intern Group

Mathew
Melbourne, Australia

The Program is a Winner

The team at Intern Latin America is amazingly helpful and really ensured I had an excellent experience!

Medellin is much safer than the media portrays and I fell in love with the city.

Make sure you do you research into the company you will be interning with and what you will be doing during the internship to ensure you get the most out of the experience!

I would just ensure that companies have a plan for what the interns will be doing and no time is wasted trying to figure out what they can do to help!

Luis
Weehawken, NJ
Seton Hall University

An Experience I Will Never Forget

I earned a full scholarship that allowed me to intern in Medellin for six weeks. One of the things that I enjoyed the most was how clean the city was, and how nice the people were.

During my time in Medellin, I got to experience the "Feria de las Flores" (Flower Festival), Medellin's annual cultural festival. The celebration extends for an entire week, with a varied number of events every day. From fashion shows to an antique car parade and a flower parade, the Feria de las Flores had celebrations of all kinds and for all audiences.

As per my internship, my coworkers were the nicest. They were very resourceful and helped me navigate through the company smoothly. I was in charge of developing the basis for the code of ethics of the company, which required a lot of concentration and impartiality. My project challenged me to think from different perspectives, foresee potential conflicting scenarios, and think of ways to prevent disjunctives between the different divisions of the company. In the end, both the organization and I were satisfied with my work. In addition, I was able to sharpen and develop my planning, executing, critical thinking, and team work skills.

I also enjoyed the cultural activities Intern Latin America put together. They were dynamic, social, and educational. I was impressed by how much Paisas celebrate their culture. Though they will listen to foreign artists and music, they always root for theirs. The same applies to food and drinks. Overall, the activities encouraged me to get in contact with local people and culture. This taught me the importance of cross-cultural understanding and proactivity in foreign scenarios.

At least in my residence, we lacked a T.V. I think that the cultural experience could have been better if I had had access to local news and content. But I know it was not an issue through the program, as other peers had T.V.s in their residences.

Jenny
North Carolina

Professional Internship!

Wow! I was super impressed with how great Colombia is. I feel like many people may be a bit hesitant to go there but it is truly amazing. I worked in the government in the department of education. I had a lot of fun. Some days were a bit slow and I definitely had to be proactive to find work to do but I think this is down to Colombia being quite new to the idea of interns!

The guys over at the intern group were super friendly and gave me everything I need. I always had somebody to call if I needed any help with anything. They also had a Facebook group which was super cool to keep in touch with everyone. Even though I was a bit hesitant myself I actually felt really safe. I ever had any problems.

The highlight of the social scene had to be the Chiva! It is the biggest party on a bus ever. It is so awesome, I loved it. Great place great people!

Kirsty
Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Medellin the big surprise

Overall I was fairly satisfied with the experience I had. My internship was in chain management. I was responsible for streamlining a production line at a factory. The most difficult part of the internship was language. Speaking no Spanish meant I was limited to who I could speak to at work. Fortunately I did find a fun day class to attend on a Wednesday. I learned a lot of Spanish vey quickly and built my confidence in communication.

The social scene was incredible as the intern group host regular activities for all their interns. The highlight was a trip to guatape dam! The scenery at the top of the dam is incredible and everyone had fun.

Over all this is a great addition to my CV and I made lots of friends who I am sure to keep in contact with. I do recommend the programme but practice your Spanish before you arrive!

Making sure that interns who do not speak any Spanish are suitably placed in companies that have several English speaking staff.

Craig
Newcastle, UK
Newcastle University

The Intern Group Got Me My Dream Internship

I've always loved travelling!

During my first year of university I decided to try and find an internship in the summer of my first year. If I could travel and work that would be the perfect way to increase my job prospects and have fun. The intern group provided just that. I found them through a search engine. I was so surprised to hear that they offered internships in Colombia. I've always wanted to learn Spanish and travel to Latin America, so this was ticking all the boxes for me!

I applied to the intergroup and within a few weeks had my first interview with an Investment Bank. At the end of my skype interview I was offered a place to work in Medellin for 6 weeks. The intern group kept in regular contact giving me regular information about cheap flights, language lessons and information on how to really get the best out of the experience!

When I arrived, everything was so prepared! They gave me a simcard so I had a Colombian cellphone number, a map of the city, directions to my office and even lunch!

The internship was a complete success. I still keep in contact with many of my colleagues and friends I met while in Colombia. I even met my girlfriend! 3 months after arriving home I interviewed for an internship at one of Europes most prestigious investment banks! The interviewer was so amazed by my travels we spent most of the time talking about my experience and then offered me the job. I certainly wouldn't have the internship I have now without my travel abroad! I recommend it to everyone.

Oh and I got to go paragliding for $20 too!

The only disappointing aspect of the programme was that I wanted to be housed only with Spanish speakers whereas I was housed with other English-speaking interns. This meant I couldn't practice as much Spanish as I wanted. There was also a language course offered but it was at University of EAFIT however it was difficult to schedule around work.

Erika
medellin

An internship to remember!

My internship with Intern Latin America was a wonderful experience. I had the opportunity to participate in the project of my dreams in the Government of Antioquia, where I was welcomed from day 1. The ILA team supported me throughout the process, from the first interview until the end of my internship. During my stay in Colombia I knew I was not alone and had people that would help me in any adverse situation. I fell in love of both Colombia and Medellin and now I decided to live in this beautiful city.

Doing an internship abroad allowed me to have a broader view of my career and the areas where I would like to develop as a professional. I highly recommend this program.

Lauren
Bruxelles

Amazing Colombia experience

In order to complete my masters' degree, I needed to take part in an internship. I chose to do it aborad, and I came across the Intern Group website. As I have always loved Latin America, I decided to apply for an internship in Colombia.

The staff was very helpful from the start. They helped me with all the administrative stuff I needed for my university. They quickly found an internship for me, at the Alcaldía de Sabaneta in the communication department.

I felt home as soon as I arrived in Colombia, thanks to both the Intern Group Staff and the kindness of the Paisas (population of Medellín). My stay started beautiful with the visit of the amazing Guatapé, one of the many activities that were organized by the Intern Group. I got to met amazing people who are now my friends, and we also organized trips by ourselves, as it is quite easy to travel in Colombia.

There is a popular expression in Colombia: "El riesgo es que te quieras quedar" (The risk is wanting to stay), which perfectly sums up my experience in this beautiful country. The people, the colours, the sounds, the smells, the feelings, the taste will forever stand out in my memory.

I think Colombia leaves no one indifferent, and that is why you should really go.

Saludos a Johanna, Adri, Monica y Paula!

I think the Internship placement could be improved. When I arrived the first day at my internship, apparently nobody knew I was coming. There had been a change in the head of the communication department, and my arrival had not been communicated to the new staff. So the first couples of weeks were a bit difficult, as I was a bit left aside with no work. But as I was constantly begging for work, they started to integrate me in their activities. My work consisted in assisting to events and writing sime articles for their website, in order to give a foreigner's point of view on the Sabaneta community. I am not sure many people read my articles, and to be honest I didn't really gained professional skills, but I learned a lot about how a small Colombian city worked, and my collegues were always very kind to me.

I would advise you to have a good idea of what kind of internship you would like to perform, so the Intern Group can look for one that will match your expectations.

Chukwuka
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
University of Aberdeen

How I became an Intern in Colombia

As an international student, the best gift I gave myself was travelling to Colombia for an internship. Interning in Colombia with The Intern Group was one of the best/crazy decision I have made in years now. Although I had some discouragement from several people not to go, plus the financial responsibility, it was worth every penny.They took care of my visa application, accommodation, and job search. With Intern group, it felt like I was a king coming home after few years away.
The work experience at Cryogas was exceptionally rewarding. I enjoyed being in an industrial/business environment while adapting to the culture and language challenge.The experience not only developed professionally but also increased my networks and cultural awareness. Massive thanks to The Intern Group for creating this opportunity for me as well as a lot of other students.
In summary, the weather, cultural events, and people were amazing. And for those who are still contemplating the decision, you have a "Chicharrón" and need to try "Bandeja paisa".

Organise some reunion events for your ex-interns. And don't forget some discounts tickets when you do.

Emily
High Point, NC
High Point University

Stop thinking and GO!

When I first started looking into internships for the summer, I feel as if I was playing it safe. Looking for opportunities near my house or at least in America. However, when I came across The Intern Group and then Intern Latin America, I thought when could I do this again? When I could I jump on a plane and get an experience people dream of? And that was how I decided to spend my summer working at a non-profit in Colombia.

When I arrived in Medellin, Colombia, you can say I was far beyond nervous. I had no idea what to expect, if I would meet people, what would happen if I did not like my job or my roommates. I am grateful that I loved my internship with Fundacion Juguemos en el Bosque. I am also so impressed that Intern Latin America made it such a smooth transition, I arrived and the next day I already had so much to do. Intern Latin America sets up events for all the other interns and these are the greatest thing, you meet the team, you meet interns who become friends, and you realize this experience and your time in a foreign country will be alright.

On the first day of my internship, someone from the Intern Group walked me straight to my office, introduced me to the organization. This does not happen in the real world, but having this for my first day was what I needed, it calmed my nerves knowing that I was not going to get lost, or that I would not show up and my job have no idea who I was. In my opinion, it was small things such as walking me to work, having intern events, and having a group of people who’s job is to make sure you are doing alright, and having the best possible experience you could have.

When I was first giving the information about the non-profit the intern group found for me, I was very skeptical, simply because I did not find this, I did not know what the organization stood for. Nonetheless, Intern Latin America could of not done a better job. Everything I wanted in an internship I was given. I wanted to work with the social worker and have field experiences with the kids, but I also wanted to work in the office. I wanted to enjoy my summer, but I absolutely loved it. The best thing about my summer was my job, was going to work everyday that is something I could of not asked for or expected. All thanks to the Inter Group listening to me and what I want.

Who can say that the highlight of their summer was working, or being in a foreign country for 10 weeks and surviving without your parents? After coming back from Colombia and hearing my friends say was it dangerous, what was the worst thing you saw, were you scared, did you carry pepper spray around and saying no to every negative question about Colombia is incredible. People will never consider going to Colombia because they still see it as a dangerous country, however, it is a beautiful country, a country that now has a piece of my heart, and a country I miss so dearly. So a piece of advice, jump, do it, and do it now. It will never be something you regret.

Geoff
Canberra, Australia
University of Melbourne

Medellin was wonderful

I had a great time in Medellin. I achieved professional objectives, getting employment on my return. The city was great, climate wonderful, the people excellent.

As a mature age intern trying to get back into IT, I was afraid that I wouldn't be getting relevant experience. But I was placed with a web startup as a programmer, and gained a lot of useful experience. I'm now back home working with a web startup in a much more senior position.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Medellin at any time. The city has a great vibe, in many ways with more similarities to an Australian city than a Latin American city.

The support from Intern Latin America was superb. For instance, I had a dental problem- they accompanied me to the dentist, even in the surgery, to ensure that we communicated properly.

I highly recommend the program, even to mature age people seeking to change career paths.

Marlene
Copenhagen

Disappointed with the quality of the internship

Hello All,

I am sure you have read all the nice reviews of people's experiences about their internship in Medellin, but I would also like to express mine so some of you will not experience the same disappointment as I did.

I expected a high quality internship where I would gain work experience and develop my professional skills, but from the first day I was placed at a desk alone where I had to search for potential clients' information. I was told I would work closely together with a colleague, but he was on vacation the first week I started. When he came back from vacation he was so busy that he only had time to say good morning to me. I contacted the Intern Group because I was frustrated and they promised to speak to the company. Unfortunately, nothing changed and after 1 and a half week I asked if I could be placed at another company, but they told me it was too late. I was very bored and felt like I was wasting my time. I started studying Spanish grammar online to not feel like I was wasting my time entirely. What was the most frustrating to me was the fact that they placed another intern in the same role as me even though the Intern Group were fully aware that we were wasting our time at the company and very unsatisfied. Like me, the new intern was very frustrated after one week in the office. We expressed our opinion together to the Intern Group, but again nothing changed. I quit my internship, I believe after three weeks, since I would rather enjoy the weather and experience the city than sitting inside and learn nothing. The other intern, who was placed at the same company as me, informed me that she lived with other interns who had also quit their internship.

For this reason, I would not recommend doing an internship with the Intern Group in Medellin to anyone, since you could get a job at a cafe or travel and get so much more value for the money!

Response from The Intern Group

Dear Marlene,

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your internship experience.

We have worked with the fashion company where you interned for a long period of time, and the general feedback we have received has been positive from past program participants. Being involved in the busy preparations for Colombian fashion week should have been an exciting opportunity.

It is important to underline that the Colombian work culture is certainly very different from the Danish style. It is crucial that interns here are more proactive than they might be accustomed to in their home country. Interns in Colombian work culture are expected to regularly be asking supervisors for more tasks and feedback, and areas where they can get involved. It is a fluid model where communication is paramount and the onus is on the intern to show themselves as proactive, keen and ready to contribute. We encouraged you to speak with your supervisor, and we spoke with him ourselves to help bridge this cultural gap – but you left the role early on without giving the situation time to improve.

Nevertheless, we take your comments and all feedback extremely seriously and have fed them in to the company so that their internships in the future can be as structured and meaningful as possible.

Bryn
Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
University of Birmingham

Working in Medellin

My time in Medellin can only be described as fantastic. The staff were freindly and helpful at both the Intern Group, my workplace and the University(ies). The range of work opportunities on offer from the program is broad, with lots of areas for one to both implement and develop their skills.

The Program is more than simply working however, as the culture and language learning opportunities provided by the program really give you value for your money. The Spanish language course is great and tailored to your exisiting skill level with firendly teachers who will assisst you with your individual needs. As for the culutral espect, Medellin (and Antioquia) might well be Colombia's best kept secret. There is so much to experience here from the night life, to the museums, as well as the trips outside the city, and so much more.

Overall I would highly recommend this program to anyone. The work experience aspect alone is worth it, but its the stuff on the side that really makes this progam a must

More could be done to monitor the accomodation, in particular the state of equipment in them. For example the oven in my kitchen did not work.

Denise
Calgary, Canada

Just go!

This summer in Medellin, Colombia has easily become one of the greatest summers I've had in years. Despite some negativity and concern from family and friends I arrived in Colombia with an open mind.

Intern Latin America does their best to take care of you from the moment you arrive providing you with a driver who picks you up and takes you straight to your accommodation. Within a few days you have an official introduction with the ILA team where they explain a few more things to know about Medellin. The team, along with the majority of people you'll meet in Colombia are extremely inviting, friendly and easy to get along with. Regardless of your Spanish level, many of the locals are both eager to help and patient enough to wait as you stumble along trying to make sense in their language. It's an excellent place to learn or perfect your Spanish, so take advantage of it!

Fortunately when I arrived there were already a few social events planned, mostly due to the World Cup games, which provided an opportunity to get to meet some of the other interns on the program. This was a huge plus as my roommates and I lived in a separate building and wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet any of the others prior to that event.

Medellin is an exciting and upbeat city, and getting to be there in the midst of the world cup madness was proof that Colombia has some of the most passionate, happy and welcoming people. There is always something to see or do in the city. Granted you do still have to be careful not to flaunt your wealth or act in a way that draws unnecessary attention, however I generally felt quite safe in the city. As with every city, there are good areas and areas to avoid, and this is no exception. The team does their part to warn you of these areas in your introduction.

My main intention of doing this program was to have an opportunity to develop my language skills, experience a new culture and meet many of the locals. For these reasons it was an excellent experience all around. My actual internship wasn't the most educational experience but that may have been due to not knowing how best to make the most of their interns. It was a little difficult to get time to see my boss or get any feedback on the work I was doing until it was a little to late. However, I will say that after communicating my concerns to the ILA team there was a noticeable improvement at work and an increased effort to involve me in more challenging projects.

On that note I found the Intern Latin America team to be extremely helpful and supportive. I think it's unrealistic to expect them to be able to solve every problem, however they do their best to assist in any way possible. They were a pleasure to work with and an absolute blast to get to know. In the end, as with any experience like this it all comes down to what you make of it. It's easy to forget that you are in a developing country because it is so beautiful, but be prepared to be flexible in your expectations in areas such as housing or work pace etc.

The program is on the upper end in terms of cost, but if you have the money I would most definitely recommend it. Travel around Colombia as much as possible, and spend more time out in the city talking to people than you do in your apartment and you will have a good time! Medellin is an absolutely beautiful and unique city and Colombia is a country that is so much more than its past.

I think this program could be improved if prior to arrival interns were made aware of where they would be living, what it looked like, and things to expect etc. The majority of the problems mentioned by some of the other interns all revolved around not knowing what they were walking into before coming.

If possible, it would be helpful if the ILA team could make the effort to drop by the apartment after you have settled in so that it's easier to communicate any issues right away and know that the support is there if you need it.

Abhinav
Iowa City, Iowa
University of Iowa

Colombia is definitely a place worth visiting

When I initially left for Colombia, I had no clue on what to expect especially given the stereotypical views of Colombia that I had been accustomed to. Once I reached there however, it is amazing on how off they were! A small example: with the little bit of Spanish I knew, I introduced myself to one of my roommates and asked him to show me around my first day there. He, thankfully, spoke English. Without any hesitation, he accepted and showed me around. I needed to do some grocery shopping and was not sure if my credit card was going to work or not. He offered to pay for my stuff (even though he barely knew me!) The people there are the most amiable and friendly people you will find. I did not mind being at work by 7.30 am everyday because of the sense of family I had there. I even somehow befriended some local vendors whom I greeted every morning and bought breakfast (pastel de jamon y queso) from. It's definitely a very welcoming environment.

Another thing that definitely hit me was how developed Colombia was for a third world country! The part of Medellin the intern group lodges interns is called Poblado. The malls, the beautiful view, the fact everything you need is pretty much within walking distance of you; all these factors were definitely a big plus for me while I was there.

Colombia has so much to offer! While I was there I went para-sailing, rock climbing, cave exploring, horse-back riding on top of mountains and so much more! I am also a little better at salsa, merengue and bachata now :)

The only downside I will say was that Intern Latin America was not as proactive in the beginning at organizing get togethers and other social events for interns to meet each other. Nonetheless towards the end that changed quite a bit which is something I would like to see continue. My internship was very valuable to me as it helped me better shape my career goal. I also felt very valuable to the team I worked with as one of my designed projects is actually in the process of being implemented! There is nothing that provides a more fulfilling feeling than that!

Oh, I was also lucky enough to experience the FIFA world cup in a football loving country. It is definitely something very unique.

Just keep up the communication with interns. It is always reassuring to be reminded of the constant support we have access to.

Joseph
Sheffield,UK
University of Sheffield

Life in Medellin

Life in Medellin was really rewarding for me.Travelling all by myself to such a far away country with little grasp of the Spanish language proved overwhelming,but only for a short while.I adjusted very well to living in Medellin and made a lot of friends from the program.I also got to learn a bit of Spanish from the local paisas and in that way I made even more friends from Colombia.The support from the Intern Latin America group was outstanding as there was always someone there when we needed help or just someone to talk to.

The only thing I could recommend changing is maybe the accommodation.

Daniel
York
University of York

A life changing experience

When I applied to this programe, back in September of last year, I of course shared the same concern that a curious pre-applicant may also share. Firstly, this is too good to be true, surely it is a scam? Secondly, is Colombia safe? I shall attempt to address both points in my review.

Colombia, for me, is a country of opportunity. A country which is working tirelessly to enhance its reputation on a global scale. On a daily basis I experienced no shortage of youthful graduates emigrating in order to take advantage of this. Colombia is a beautiful country, steeped in tradition, culture and curiosity. In thirteen weeks I was blessed by the generosity of its people, while simultaneously being proven that Colombia is indeed a place where I can establish myself as an individual with ambition. I had no issues with safety or any concerns whatsoever in my time there.

With regards to the Intern group, I myself was at first sceptical, but this is a company with one ambition, and that ambition is to empower the younger generation. If you can afford to part with the money, then you will embark on a journey that you will never forget.

My only fault with this programe was the accomodation that was provided. Despite being cleaned thoroughly on a weekly basis, and being in a safe and ideal location, we did experience many breakages and issues. Nonetheless, these were resolved quickly.

Tara
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Oklahoma State University

12 weeks in Medellin, Colombia

I spent twelve weeks in Medellin living with a Colombian family. I previously studied Spanish at university in the States do I did not take Spanish classes during my stay. However, living with a family that only speaks Spanish was a great way to better my language skills. I also had the opportunity to practice at my internship so I think my speaking ability has greatly improved. I felt very safe during my entire stay. The neighborhood in which all the interns live is very modern, comfortable, and easy to get around. Taxis and the metro are very cheap so it is easy to travel to other neighborhoods in the city. The social programs and day trips provided by the Intern Group give you a chance to meet many other interns in the city, and I spent three or four days a week with them. I have made friends from all over the world and that has been one of the best parts of this experience. I only had minimal complaints. One being the amount of work I was given at my job was minimal and at times I was bored with nothing to do. The work ethic in Colombia is very different than the US so that was partly the reason. Also, although my host family was alright I would have preferred to be more like a family, cooking dinner together, sightseeing, etc. Living in an apartment as opposed to a homestay, however, does lessen your Spanish exposure significantly. Overall I had a good experience!

If I could change one thing I would recommend finding Colombian families who want to have foreigners stay with them and become part of their family, not just someone looking for a paycheck each month.

The Intern Group is one of the leading providers of international internships. Our programs are located in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia & Latin America. We place participants from all over the world in international internships that propel their career development forward. The Intern Group