International Internships in Madrid with The Intern Group

Final Places Available for Summer Internships

There are only a couple of places remaining for The Intern Group's summer internship programs. Apply now to intern abroad this summer!

We offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable work experience in Madrid, Spain's cosmopolitan capital. During your internship abroad, you will gain hands-on professional experience and build a network for your future career. Your internship in Madrid will make you stand out from your peers.

Partnering with a range of leading companies, organizations and NGOs, our program will boost your professional development. We offer programs for people of all backgrounds and experience levels. Current student or recent graduate? Take this chance to gain experience that will make your resume stand out. Not sure what you want to study yet? Take a gap year to test-drive your career. Professional in transition? Gain experience in your new field.

We've previously placed interns with companies such as Grant Thornton, Mazars and Orangina Schweppes.

• Have a top-class international internship in Madrid! Our personalised process ensures that you will be working in the industry sector of your choice, in a role that is tailored to your professional goals.
  • It makes your resume stand out! In today's society, everyone does sport, plays an instrument and is part of a society. As one of millions of young people applying for their first job, you need to find a way to jump off the page!
  • Make friends and professional networks in Madrid and from all over the world! Whether you like it or not, it's not what you know, it's who you know.
  • Have an amazing life experience in Madrid! We know that moving to a new place can be nerve-racking. Thats why our team on the ground is made up of Madrilenos who are there to give you support 24/7.
  • For non native-Spanish speakers perfect your language! Learn Spanish in a real-world environment, rather than in the classroom.

Hiya, Living situation wasn't bad at all, your usually with other interns. When I first got there I was a bit surprised at the flat as I thought it was going to be more like a uni halls or something, but the decor is quite dark and relatively small. Also had an oven that you had to light yourself which was an experience! Haha. But you get used to it really quickly and I loved my flat by the end. I...
I was in Madrid for two months and had prepared about €1600. I did budget and because I was very careful with money at the start I had quite a bit left over towards the end. It also depends on how much you eat out because that does get quite expensive.

Katie

Life-changing Opportunity

I have spent the past 6 weeks here in Madrid and it has been an absolutely life-changing experience that I will never forget. I have made some amazing memories and I have developed enormously, both professionally and personally. I have acquired lots of new skills and valuable knowledge within my field of work and I am so excited for the future and to see where this internship will lead me. I feel a lot more independent, confident and self-assured and I have met so many wonderful new friends who I plan to stay in contact with. The Intern Group were so friendly, warm and welcoming and were extremely helpful and on-hand when I needed advice and help. It was a very well-organised trip and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who would like to expand their horizons and experience an unforgettable internship!

I don’t think it can be improved!
Yone

When can I come back!?

Three months ago today I was boarding a plane in Australia bound for Madrid. Little did I know the adventure that awaited me!

Coming into this program I was not entirely sure what to expect, I was really hoping just to gain some work place experience and learn a bit more about Spain and Madrid and what they had to offer in terms of culture, lifestyle and of course, food!

I did not think I would find myself at home here in Madrid so quickly. However, it did take me a couple of weeks to get used to the idea that I was in a completely new country and getting sick just after my first week at work did not make the transition any smoother. The Intern Group helped guide my through this rough patch, as I knew that if I needed anything I could just send a message and I could expect a response shortly after. Which was very reassuring.

I really have no idea how The Intern Group managed this, but the company I was placed with was absolutely perfect! I had excellent mentoring from not just my supervisor, but the entire company and I can say with confidence that I have definitely come away with more experience and understanding of my field than I had expected.

By being a part of this program you get the opportunity to meet like-minded interns who share the same passions and interests as you, such as traveling, shopping or finding the best tortilla in Madrid. You never know who you will meet and that's what I enjoyed the most about this experience. Not only have I been able to network with other interns, but also with students from my Spanish classes (which I have been taking during my time here) and colleagues at my work.

I am definitely sad to be leaving this place so soon as there is still much more I know Madrid and Spain can offer me! The question I am asking myself now is "When can I come back!"

I thought the program was amazing from start to finish -- No improvements necessary from my point of view.
Plash

Nothing’s better than this!

Well, I don’t know where to start with about all of my exceptional experience The Intern Group Madrid have given it to me in the past six months.
There are very few moments in the life when you really grace something & crave to achieve it, and for me, it was always about interning abroad, getting to know the different culture and stand out of my comfort zone. This was only & only made possible with the help of great team of intern group Madrid, especially Lalita & Irene.
They are so much transparent about everything from the first step of your interview with them till the end you will finish your internship. It was my first time moving out of my home country, and it was very very scary to be honest for me. But intern group, and the activities they organised, made me feel like being at home.
There was a time when I got sick in between of my internship and I was not sure what to do. But the information intern group gave us, about the doctors & hospitals, it made me go through the things so smoothly that if I would have to do it myself, it would be very hard going. Lalita, and not to forget Irene, they both were always there for any kind of trouble, help, clarification you need. They made my stay in Madrid so exceptional that it’s really hard to explain that in just this review.
They picked the best company for me matching my skills set where I have been a perfect fit for every single tasks I’ve been assigned with. With the motivation, courage and never say never mindset of mine, I was able to convert my internship into a permanent job role. It was very hard in the beginning but it become smoother and easier after I start being a part of the company as a family instead of treating myself & behaving like an intern because then & then I was able to understand much more about them, there work culture & there ethics in this current diverse era.
There are still so many great things happened in my life in past six months which will be always my best, all time memorable memories. I made great fiends being here, lived the different culture, talked with the people who speaks totally different language which I never studied or spoken in my life before. And all these things, all of these and much more are the best part of my life.

So in the end, I would just like to thanks Intern group for my amazing journey, for there extreme support in every single step I have to go through during this whole period of time and thank you for calling Madrid as my second home now.

As I said, there is nothing best than this because this is perfect opportunity I’ve got and intern group made it work for me with ease.

I really can’t think as of now about anything which needs to be improved because my journey, my time here, they have been perfect in every prospect.
Mammon

Muy Bein

The past four months have been very captivating and has been a life changing experience which I will cherish for the rest of my life. I would definitely recommend participating in this because not only will it help develop your life skills but also gain invaluable life lessons! Intern Group made the journey of a life time so much calmer! They were excellent at providing lots of support and making sure you are ready for the internship this made me feel relaxed. Lalita the Associate Director of Madrid was helpful to guide me throughout the process. They were always there to direct me to the next stage, and would always get back to me via email!
It was my first time doing something of this nature, so naturally I was anxious and worried. I didn’t know what to expect. I met amazing people at the intern group which I connected with, that made my experience a lot better and will keep in contact with them, it’s safe to say I have made life long friends!
My first week I struggled with the environment because everything was out of my comfort zone. But after a few days, you adjust to the culture and the more places you visit the more you love the place. Irene is the event coordinator who plans weekly events this gave the opportunity to meet the other interns. The events were different, so I would recommend going to each event because they were fantastic and eye-opening!
So, my work had a friendly environment. They mostly spoke Spanish this left me alienated. This then motivated me to learn the language and what better place to learn it than Spain. I started understanding what they were saying but struggled speaking it. I will carry on learning the language when I go back to the UK.
I didn’t have a plan how much I was going to spend so the first month I restricted myself from overspending, which later gave the opportunity to travel around Spain; to places like Granada and Sevilla. I would recommend travelling outside of Madrid to see how different each part of the city is. It was breathtaking and honestly left me in awe. It was very emotional leaving the place not knowing when I’ll come back. It has left a strong sense of nostalgia.

Maybe doing some sport activities.
Lauren

Looking back on my Madrid Journey!

When I got accepted into the programme for an internship in Madrid I was very apprehensive about what would be in store. Throughout the process, the Intern Group sent videos, lots of emails keeping me updated and information sheets. It helped me feel at ease not having to worry about housing, transport and the culture shock.

I only really spoke with Lalita the Associate Director and Irene the Events Coordinator. All the cultural events organised by Irene, and included in your fee, were amazing. It helps provide a support network and I have made such great friends and mixed with people from other cultures.

We had a few problems with housing at the beginning but this was the only issue I had. We had many emails with Lalita and all of the Intern Group Madrid to get everything sorted for us. At all times, even the weekends, they were responsive and supportive. Together a solution was found and I felt that their attitude was one of genuine concern!

Nathan

The Intern Group: Madrid - Review

My time in Madrid with the Intern Group was a dream!

Really what makes the experience that much better is the quality of people that you meet here. You meet people from all around the world, and these people become your friends because at the beginning, there is nobody else that you can relate to because you don't know anybody else! Whether it's getting churros at the oldest churro place in Madrid late at night or travelling to other Spanish cities like Salamanca together, the people is what makes this an experience of a lifetime. Kudos to the Intern Group for choosing and selecting great people; it makes your experience that much better.

The Intern Group is also fantastic at ensuring there are events for you attend during the work, and everyone on staff is so easy to get along with. Importantly, if there is ever an issue, they respond promptly and fix the issue as soon as possible, which is a wonderful thing to have when living in a foreign environment.

If possible, providing more scholarship or financial aid the enable participants to come who may not have the necessary funds to come on their own. The program is quite expensive and while that isn't an obstacle for a lot of the program participants, it was for me, and required a lot of fundraising and working about 50 hours a week. So if it was possible to provide more of that for those in financial need, that would be fantastic.
Arianne

The best learning challenge for your career and life!

Acquiring an internship through The Intern Group (Madrid) only saw amazing rewards and benefits for myself. As a Media Graduate, I was able to learn and enhance various skills within my taught discipline, as well as other areas I was interested in. As a young adolescent, the international internship taught me greatly how to adjust to a completely different, rich culture and successfully live independently.

I was a Content Marketing Intern at a Political Communications start-up.
I had set responsibilities, but was also give much freedom to learn about the sides of the business I wanted to work in too. This company helped me greatly in analysing and learning about the technical sides of Social Media and Content Marketing, as well as using CMS and Company Exclusive Software. A lot of these skills I had developed at this start-up helped me in standing out at job interviews recently.

Aside from interning all-day, The Intern Group schedules fun social events for all interns in the city. In Madrid, it was always a good time catching up with the other interns at tapas nights, walks around the city... and then even scheduling our own events by ourselves! Everyone whom I have met in The Intern Group have been awesome characters that have added to my experience in Madrid.

When it came to accommodation and living there, Intern Madrid took care of me very well, and gave instructions and info about every aspect of living in Madrid. They provided me with 10/10 accommodation and answered to any queries or complaints I had right away. They make sure to be contactable easily, and knowing they were just a call or message away made me at ease all the time.

In short, you wouldn't be wise to turn down an international internship, especially one with The Intern Group. You have only to gain from these kinds of experiences, and I hope you choose to experience it through The Intern Group!

Growing the Intern Group to more cities around the world!
Patrick

Definitely Worth It

I was always anxious starting an Internship in Spain, not only did I speak no Spanish but the culture was so different to what I was used to in Australia. Also, it was pretty daunting moving to a totally foreign country and knowing absolutely no one... Thankfully, the team at the InternGroup knew what it is like and were extremely good at making you feel not only comfortable and confident but safe as well.

From the moment I stepped off the plane I knew I had nothing to worry about. A man picked me up in a large limousine like van (which was pretty cool) and drove me straight to my appartment in Ventas, right next to the bull fighting ring. I made my way upto my appartment, which was nice and reasonably sized, and met my knew housemates. Luckily, my housemates were awesome and I transitioned into life in Spain very easily. We had a meet and great on my second day and I met the other interns (who I would be spending the next three months with), which was great as you straight away make a nice social network. The reason I am saying all this is because first impressions are everything and after my first day in Madrid I knew I was going to love it. The people at The Intern Group were so helpful professionally and socially.

Professionally my internship was great, the people at work were friendly, fun and welcoming. They understood if I was ever late (whether it was because the metro had problems or because I stayed at the cervezeria too long the night before...) and when I didn't show up to work one monday after missing my flight and getting stuck in Barcelona Sunday night, they emailed to make sure I was ok. They knew I wanted to do plenty of travel while I was in Europe and they were extremely accomodating.

Lalita is brilliant, always on standby if you have any problems and eager to help out. Such an enthusiastic personality, I don't know how she does it. I would love to know what she puts in her coffee because I need some... Whenever you see her it brightens your day and makes you excited to be there.

Irene is gorgeous, she provides us with social experiences and reccomendations of places to go/things to do in Madrid. She is young, fun and energetic plus knows A LOT about Madrid, I could listen to her talk for ever. Every week she organizes social gatherings and if you want something to do just message her on facebook, she is always so eager to let you know what's on and is one of the nicest peope I have ever met. My experience certainly would have been different if she wasn't there.

Anyway if anyone is actually still reading this and wondering if the experience is worth it, I say do it. You will have a great time, meet some amazing people and make some experiences you will never forget. I didn't think I would write a review this long but I'm still here and my fingers are starting to hurt from typing so I might wrap it up now. If, like me, you are from somewhere far away like Australia make sure you do some travelling. Everything is so close and so different, you fly a couple of hours to Switzerland or Austria for example and it's a whole new world. Don't get too caught up in going out every night, there's so much so see.

Big thanks to The Intern Group for everything, I will never forget this experience!

Claudia

A Dream Came True

First of all, do forgive the clichéd start just alike any testimony that is bound to be infused with an outburst of positivity, but, I still can't help but say:

'Where do I even start?'

This opportunity, first and foremost, came to me unexpectedly at a time I needed to step out of the place I was at. I needed a head-start in my career field of interest, work in my interests was the hardest thing to find and odd jobs were a necessity to survive. But most of all, I needed to fulfil that restless travel bug within me to explore and create new experiences. I didn't want perfect, nor did I ask for the best package. I just hoped for new, adventures, memories and experiences to take with me in what I can garner in skills, and to further grow as a person. And with that, never had I expected to have gotten all from the moment I was told Intern Madrid wanted me onboard Less than a year later, without the slightest hesitation will I say that those three months spent in Madrid will always be one of the most impactful and unforgettable highlights of my life :))

Not only had I gained so much in my internship with working as a Social Media Professional at Tilo Motion (digital marketing agency) and garnering so much scope and beyond with what I do, I had also widened my networks and made friends even with the older age group in the office too. Going to work full-time was definitely beneficial in my learning and having a great team to work with everyday just made it all the better! Not only that, I've met some of the most wonderful souls in the Intern program and external social activities that I'm so proud and happy to still have as friends (and family!) even with the distance and own individual pathways. There were some great bonds made in the various time lapses throughout my stay in Madrid and people I've met in social and unexpected circumstances along the way; and they still hold close to my heart.

In terms of logistics, the accommodation (4 bedroom apartment) provided was pretty decent in a cute old Spanish neighbourhood and the location itself (between Manuel Becerra and Ventas metro stations) was quite convenient seeing its close proximity to many shops, cheap eateries, parks and sights. I've also enjoyed the various activities planned for us interns like the Toledo trip, Flamenco show, Bernabeu Stadium, rooftop bar views, food market and churro nights..(and the list goes on). Really, if you want to make the most of your stay, do make the effort to attend all or most of the events organised, as it'll only encourage you to see more of the amazing vibrant city of Madrid. Honestly, there's never enough time to cover everything, no matter how much you do. Hence why I'll be back again one day!

One thing's for sure..
From the moment you enter Intern Madrid, and the second you leave for home or other ventures, you can be well assured that you will be well taken care of! Lalita and Thalassa are incredible beings with the biggest of hearts :) It's so nice to know you're not alone and they're the smiling faces and mother hens you can turn to for any enquiries and worries, and always always, for a good chat. I certainly miss their genuine care and affection, and how close we've all gotten. It's lovelier to see that we still keep in touch con much cariño, even when away from each other. Thus, it's also evident that once you're a part of this familia, there's no way out ;)

At end, if an experience is what you need..the kind that is enriching, fulfilling and overwhelming in many spectrums, with moments that could entail downsides which will help challenge you to learn and thus grow stronger from, and incredulous upsides that leave you smiling in nostalgia, with many many friends made from all walks of life...those kinds packaged as a whole...you can find that when you take your next step with Intern Madrid. You have an adventure, work experience and a fantastic lot of beautiful hearts and faces waiting for you..

España is waiting. Gift yourself this chance :) <3

More variety and options with housing accommodations.
Benjamin

The epitome of why going abroad is so recommended

I arrived in Spain knowing very little about it's culture and even less of the Spanish language. Although I found the first few days confusing and disorienting, the experience of learning how to commute around a city as an illiterate due to the language disability was almost exhilarating and filled me with a sense of accomplishment as I always found my destination. Experiencing a culture so different from the one I was used to, opened perspectives and enabled me to get a new sense of the world I live in.

The Intern Group in Madrid not only attained me a work experience that I will not soon forget, they also actively helped with any issues I had with quick email responses and engaged, not only myself, but all the interns in weekly social activities ranging from visiting soccer stadiums to going to go eat delicious Spanish meals from various restaurants that are so abundantly found all over Madrid. I never found myself bored and I never found myself resenting going to work. Exactly what I wanted out of obtaining work experience while also experiencing the country I was a foreigner to.

The other Interns are also all relatively the same age as one another making it easy to befriend one another and the sense of maturity from all of them made that working experience that more welcoming. I recommend this program fully if you're goal is to find a suitable internship in the field you desire while also experiencing the culture of the country and the social aspect that comes with it. You have your patatas bravas and cervezas at nights and working ethics and skills that will brighten your future during the day. I don't know what else you could ask for from such an experience.

Isabel

Amazing experience!

Interning in Madrid will definitely be one of the most memorable things I've done for loads of reasons! Overall the experience was amazing and I would recommend to anyone deciding whether or not it is worth it to go for it, because even if there is an issue with your internship or you're not happy when you get out there, the team from intern Madrid will respond to your concerns straight away and try to help you overcome any issues.

Two things that I would suggest when deciding on how to shape your internship:
1. The length of time you choose to go for I think is really important. I only went to Madrid for 6 weeks and I really feel that it wasn't enough time to really get into the work of the organisation. If I could go again I would go for at least 2 months.
2. The language. Although most of my friends were placed in English speaking organisations, I think to get the most out of the work and to be given more responsibilities, you should know a certain level of Spanish before you get out there. I went out there not knowing any Spanish and it resulted in having to change certain aspects of my work week.

Aside from these things, the experience as a whole is amazing. You start with a number of other interns who are all in the same boat as you and so everyone is keen to get to know each other. As well as this, the team from intern Madrid organise a number of trips and activities which brings everyone together and I would recommend you go to all of them if you can.

My number one tip is just to throw yourself into the whole thing, intern Madrid are really supportive the entire time but ultimately its down to you how the whole experience goes!

More efficient timing-wise. I was placed only 2 weeks before I arrived in Madrid which was really daunting beforehand.

More guidance beforehand in regards to the language. Perhaps suggesting a certain level of Spanish needed.
Ginn

An experience you can´t miss!

When I first contacted InternMadrid I was shocked at the organization and excellent communication I received since day 1. I wasn´t really sure if I was ready to do an exchange program all alone in a whole new country, but they answered every single one of my questions really quickly and efficiently. I´m really glad they did, because they were right, it was the best decision I could´ve taken!

Before my arrival I constantly received very useful emails on how to prepare myself for this new adventure. When the day finally came and I arrived to the airport, it was a delight to see that I had a driver waiting for me with a really comfortable car. They gave my a pretty useful package full of all the program information, as well as plenty of maps and information about Madrid that I would not have known if it wasn't because of them.

My housemates and I matched really well. Tere were always activities organized by internMadrid so we always had something to do. And a good thing was that if we didn't want to participate we were´t forced to. I think this is great too because there´s always some activity planned for you, but if you don't want to participate and rest it´s totally fine too.

But the BEST part of my internship will definitely be Mixtropy, the company I worked for. My bosses treated me AMAZING since the first day, and my co-workers were extremely friendly too. I immediately felt accepted and part of the team. I had quite a lot of work to do all the time, which is something I enjoyed because I did´t want to be sitting on a desk all day waiting for my bosses to give me work to do. I truly learned heaps of new stuff about marketing, writing, blogging, and always in a nice environment.

I would definitely recommend this experience to anyone that has the opportunity to do it. You won´t only learn A LOT at work, but you also learn so much about a new culture, language, and most important of all about yourself. Trust me, you´ll never be the same person again after this (and you´ll love the new you!)

Housing.
Raeesa

Intern Madrid 2016

¡Hola!

Where do I start? I would say the entire experience as a whole has taught me so much. I've learnt how to use HPLC and analyse scientific data, learnt so much about the warm and friendly Spanish Culture and the history of the beautiful country itself. I wish my internship in Spain never ended and I applied for jobs in Spain as a result. No word of a lie, if you get the chance to take part in an internship then please choose intern Madrid! Both Lalita and Thalassa will steal your heart just like they stole mine! They will not only help you get a placement and show you around Spain but they make sure you're okay every step of the way.

Again! This was a life changing experience which I would love to take part in again!

Raeesa xxxx

Ame

Great Experience

If you want to expand your professional experience this is a great program! I encourage professional students to seek this opportunity in one of the most fascinating cities, its fun and a big opportunity to know people in your career field. I advise you to research first on your program before coming to Madrid. Spain is a great place to live and experience new professional opportunities. Is also essential to know a little of spanish before coming to experience a new country, specially if you don't know the language. I did the program and I learn new things in my professional career, now I'm back living in Madrid and studying my Master's.

Olivia

Yo no hablo español!!!!

Thinking back to when I secured and Internship with the InternGroup Madrid I had 1 primary concern, which I am sure resonates with others in my position. However they were quickly laid to rest as I will explain below:-

I do not speak ANY Spanish

Not only did i not speak any Spanish before I started my Internship in Madrid, i also have (so i have been told) and aptitude for NOT learning languages. I was therefore concerned I would not be able to contribute in professional or social situations at all!!

I would like to reassure students that are/were like me!! the Intern Group do a fantastic job at placing you within companies where you will be most effective-this also means in companies with a compatible language level to yourselves. If you have a high level of knowledge in the Spanish language you will be placed in a predominantly Spanish speaking environment.However, if you are like me the Intern Group will place you in a company where the main language is English, this way you are able to learn Spanish but work and be effective in English!!

As for the social environment, do not worry!! All interns speak English at a decent level. You will be living with either other English speaking Interns or university students wanting to speak in English. The Intern Group also puts a huge amount of effort into organizing and maintaining a diverse range of social activities. You will never feel at a disadvantage for not knowing Spanish!!

And hey, despite my apparently best efforts to speak English the entire five months i was there- i came away with a basic grounding in Spanish! Just think if I actually made an effort i may be fluent!!

I hope you enjoy the experience as much as me; Madrid is a captivating city (honestly you fall in love and never want to leave) & the internship with the Intern Group has for me personally been a life changer!!

The accommodation- a large majority of the Intern flats seem to be located in buildings with a much higher average age. This doesnt seem fair on the other residents and doesnt help interns to socialize

About The Intern Group

The Intern Group is one of the leading providers of international internships. Our programs are located in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia & Latin America. We place participants from all over the world in international internships that propel...