International Internships in Dublin with The Intern Group

Summer Internships: Deadline Approaching

The Intern Group's summer internship programs are filling up. Apply today so that you don't miss out!

Coined “the Silicon Valley of Europe”, Dublin is the proud home of the European headquarters of many global technology giants such as Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook and eBay, to name a few. We offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable professional experience in one of the world's most dynamic cities.

Partnering with a range of companies, organizations and NGOs, our Dublin program will boost your professional development. We offer programs for people of all backgrounds and experience levels. Current student or recent graduate? Take this chance to gain experience that will make your resume stand out. Not sure what you want to study yet? Take a gap year to test-drive your career. Professional in transition? Gain experience in your new field.

Caroline

Dublin Intern Group

After accepting my position in the Dublin programme I didn't think much of it until Christmas crept around the corner. My programme began in the first week of 2018 and ended in March. I had never been to the northern hemisphere nor had I ever imagined living in Dublin for 8 weeks. At first, the prospect of working as a legal intern was exciting and enticing, I'd have the chance to not only learn from professionals in my field of interest but I will also get a taste of what I will hopefully be doing for the rest of my life after completing my law degree. This excitement was, however, shortlived as my nerves soon got the better of me. I had never travelled farther than the Pacific sunshine and warm beaches were the norm for me so life on the other side of the world in a city and country I knew little about was going to be a new challenge and adventure. After my 30-hour journey from New Zealand, I was warmly welcomed into the city of Dublin. My first steps out of the airport were memorable. I was prepared for the winter and assumed it would be like winter back home. We've had really cold winters with some freezing mornings and nights as cold as -11°C but stepping outside the airport the cold air hit me unexpectedly and taught me a harsh lesson. A wooly jumper will not suffice. Granted it was summer in New Zealand and I had just left behind 30°C weather but this was a different kind of cold, it was icy and it cut right through my skin. My first impression, Ireland is bloody cold.
The people, on the other hand, are friendly and warm but this too brought another challenge, communication. Not only did I have trouble understanding the locals they were also struggling to understand me. Nevertheless, after shouting what they were trying to say and speaking more slowly they always tried their best to help you out. The struggle of attempting to understand the accent and the vernacular made simple tasks unnecessarily difficult but I soon got into the groove of how the locals speak.
To ease us into life as a Dubliner the programme staff ensured we were well prepared sending us an abundance of information well before our arrival and were always available to answer our numerous questions. On my day of arrival, a programme staff met me at my accommodation which I really appreciated. She really made me feel welcomed making me feel less home-sick and anxious. Our first group meeting was that same night at the Porterhouse pub in central Dublin. It wasn't too difficult to find even while jetlagged. The place was lively and was a great choice to break the ice with the other interns and the staff. I didn't stay long as my eyes were threatening to close every few minutes but the ambiance was pleasant and it seemed like a real Irish pub. We have pubs in New Zealand but from those that I've visited, they weren't as lively or popular with the younger patrons. The programme team always kept us informed of what was happening around town and constantly updated us on popular events through the group facebook page where they posted events and places of interest like where to get the best falafel in Dublin. They also had other methods of keeping in contact with us and always made sure we were comfortable and happy.
At beginning of the programme we had orientation where we learned about the working culture in Ireland such as how to interact with colleagues and workplace etiquette. I learned that the workplace culture wasn't universal and learned from other interns what work life was like for them from their part of the world. After orientation, we went on a city tour which I found extremely helpful. It mostly taught me to look for the Spire (the pointy statue in the middle of O'Connell street) when I got lost and that Dublin's city centre wasn't as big as I thought it would be. It was only a 15-minute walk from where I was living or for when I was feeling lazy a 5-minute bus ride. As an aside, I'd recommend having a street map with you or the name of a street you're looking for written down. I struggled many times trying to pronounce place names so having something to point at when asking for directions would ease your struggle.
The programme staff organised many events for us and provided a monthly and weekly schedule of events. I found this helpful as it allowed me to plan out my own trips. Our first major group event was a bus tour to the Cliffs of Moher. It was relaxing and had some nice scenic views. I had gone out drinking the night before to better acquaint myself with my new flatmates so the early rise of the trip wasn't ideal though seeing the countryside of Ireland and appreciating the natural scenery was refreshing and calming and it also reminded me of home. What captivated me the most was the colour of the grass. It may not seem impressive but it was so green and lush and I knew then why Ireland was known as the Emerald Isle.
The programme staff also kept us busy during the week with smaller events peppered throughout the week ranging from dinners, to pub crawls, to seminars. As one of the older interns I preferred relaxing at home after work but during the weekend I made the most of my free time to explore. There are many historic jewels in the city all within walking distance of each other. You'd be spending most of your day walking so a good pair of shoes is highly recommended. Travel out of the city is just as simple with their Dart and Intercity Rail lines. I took the train one weekend to a small sea town called Howth which was only a 15-minute journey. The programme staff organised a trip there one weekend as the town is known for its Saturday markets. It's a quaint little town and could be easily explored in an hour. The salty air is refreshing and there are plenty of spots for pretty pictures. Or if you'd like to get a feel for the UK vibe without breaking the bank a 2-hour train ride to Belfast is an inexpensive way of seeing a bit of British culture. Travel around the country wasn't too difficult either. I'd recommend bus tours as a good way of seeing other parts of Ireland it's an easy alternative to organising a rental. Working during the week doesn't leave much time for exploring so I always planned a trip for the weekend though I was fortunate enough to have most Fridays off. The programme staff planned events for the weekend but as a bit of a loner and the only intern in her thirties, I preferred a more quiet way of exploring and bus tours was an ideal option for me. I went on a bus tour to Blarney Castle and during the trip, we stopped at Cork and other small towns in between. I found tours were also a nice way of learning about the history of Ireland. Living in Dublin also means cheap fares to other parts of Europe or the UK. For a cheaper alternative to taxis there are a number of buses that travelled to and from the airport though where I was living was only 20 minutes away so the taxi fare wasn't too expensive.

If you're into the nightlife then Dublin has you covered. The Temple Bar district is the liveliest part of the city and is rampant with tourists though if you prefer a more quiet scene there are plenty of other pubs around and probably a better way of getting to know the locals.
My internship was my favourite part of the programme. I learned a lot from my supervising lawyer. Seeing firsthand the amount of time and work that goes into a case was eye-opening. I knew going in that lawyers work a ridiculous amount of hours but witnessing the dedication and drive these professionals have really emphasised why I chose to pursue this career. I was fortunate enough to visit the Four Courts and sit in on a couple of High Court and Supreme Court cases. Like New Zealand Ireland follows the Common Law system so it was interesting to see how things run there.
Overall, my time in Dublin was enjoyable and a once in a lifetime experience. I learned a lot from my internship which has helped me strive for my goals after university. I also made many friends across the globe. I became good friends with my flatmates and even spent a weekend in London with one of them. But I don't think I would have enjoyed myself as much if I didn't have the support of the Intern team. Being a long way away from family was difficult enough but being in different time zones as well meant regular contact was scarce so having people there I knew I could rely on really helped. Lastly, had I not taken the opportunity to complete my programme in Dublin I wouldn't have ever thought to visit such a wonderful place as Ireland. The main lesson I learned is that being pushed out of your comfort zone can do you some good and I definitely achieved that with my time in Dublin.

George

George’s Exprience

I rate would this as well done, Great service and definitely to other interns who are securing or undertaking an internship in their future no matter the field they study at University. This intern group will always definitely provide you with something that will change their life forever. The intern group staff are great and friendly people to be around. They are friendly caring and kind and we will always make you feel apart the intern group network, no matter what.

Schedule events at a later time
Jessica

Dublin was Amazing!

I Interned overseas in Dublin for 2 months and honestly had the best time a girl could imagine. The company I interned with was really accommodating trusting and I learnt a lot. The events that the Intern Group put on allowed me to see all the "must see" sights, pubs and events that you should see in Dublin. One of the best things about interning abroad is the people I have met; I have created long-term (global) friendships and networks. If you are financially able to support an internship abroad I could not recommend the Dublin Intern Group enough.

More financial accountability and included events and more research done on events.
Lena

Great Experience

This experience was great both professionally and personally. I learned so much about myself and how many things I can accomplish in work and outside work, things I thought I was never capable of doing because I was never this independent in my life. The best part of this journey was all the wonderful people I met, from coworkers to friends outside work. The working atmosphere in my company was amazing, so relaxed but yet very professional and productive. Everyone was super supportive and they guided and mentored me through this whole process. I think I learned a lot about the job itself which will definitely be very useful in my future career. The Intern Group Dublin was very supportive as well, from being there for me when I needed any kind of help to organizing social events which made everyone feel very included. All in all it was a great experience and would definitely recommend it to everyone!

Claudia

Review

This internship program helped me to learn a lot about my possible career path, while also allowing me to explore a different culture that I was always curious about. I was able to meet many different people that came from completely different backgrounds than me as well as people that had similar lives as mine. I think that overall this program really helped me grow as a student and expanded my knowledge of the working world.

My accommodation was not the best.
Milana

Unforgettable experience

I had an amazing experience overall with this program. I have been able to travel to London and Italy from Dublin, of course with my bosses consent. I have made lifetime friends. This has really been a highlight in my life. I’m happy I made the decision to go forward with it. It has become about way more then just professional development and has translated into personal development as well. I learned to cook and become completely independent, in addition to the other ways I have grown. My perspective on life has expanded as the world has become a bit smaller.

Kristen

The best of times at the Intern Group

I had the most amazing experience interning and living in Dublin. The events and meet ups were excellent ways to learn more about everyone and their experiences, to get to know my program and event coordinators, and to experience the fun activities, both cultural and social, that Dublin had to offer. I was matched with an excellent internship that provided me with valuable work experience in my field of study and was provided with good housing accommodations. My housemates weren’t always the best at keeping things clean which made being there sometimes frustrating, but overall the experience I had was an excellent one.

It would be better to give more flexibility to choosing internships in the interview process and providing us with internships directly in our fields, considering how much we are paying for the experience.
Isabel

Fulfilling Experience! Totally over-exceeded my expectations.

Hi all! My name is Isabel, I recently graduated from my bachelors degree in Economics. I had the opportunity to do an 6 week internship in Dublin (starting in Nov 2017) and if I can describe in one sentence this experience I would say it is one of the most rewarding ones I have ever had.

First of all, Dublin is such a splendid city to live in. It is secure, open minded and very beautiful. When I live there I enjoyed so much the Pub Culture. People are always so nice and it gives you great chances to meet amazing people. I had the opportunity to meet lifetime friends (this definitely one of the best things of my internship!).

Second, the position I had in a successful Recruitment company was very enriching. As my previous experience was in Business Consulting, I was able to learn more from it! My coworkers were always so nice. I was able to observe their duties in a close way, which allowed me to perform better every day. Also, my boss' main goal was for me to take the best out of the period I was interning with them. We, as a team, always tried to achieve the goals we set at the beginning of the week. In this way, I could develop better my skills. I got an insight in how an international company works, got great contacts for future opportunities, expand my abilities in different areas of the company (such as recruitment, compliance, research, etc.) and increased my confidence when dealing with all kind of people.

Third, after the 6 week internship was over both the company and myself were very sad to stop working together. We kept in touch couple weeks after and then the great idea of working remotely emerged! Now, the company sent me a computer from Dublin to Mexico (where I am currently living) and we are still working together. Working remotely from such long distance is a very different experience but even more rewarding, as the company is always trying to look the best for both sides.

Finally, I couldn't be more happy for my decision of joining the Intern Group! Dublin team is lovely, always giving support to the interns and trying their best for us to get the real Irish experience. I highly recommend this program, I am sure every single one of you is going to grow in so many ways and this is going to develop greatly your true self for the future.

Thank you for reading this! I believe in your abilities to choose right!

I wish you all the best!

Isabel

Geveen

The Intern Group - Dublin

My experience with the intern group exceeded all my expectations from start to finish. by living and interning in Dublin not only was I able to improve my technical skills, I was also able to learn a huge deal about myself and improve myself as I was out of my comfort zone. The staff at the intern group Dublin made the transition as smooth as possible and they were willing to help with any sort of issue I had. Overall it was a great experience, I would 100% recommend this program to anyone looking to improve their technical ability while having a fun time in a new city with a bunch of amazing people from all corners of the world.

Honestly, This program exceeded all my expectations as I've said in the paragraph above.
Mariam

My Dublin Internship Experience

My Dublin experience was a once in a life time opportunity that I enjoyed every aspect of. Dublin has a lot to offer - history, art, and music is surrounding you at all times. There is something new happening every week and peaceful days/weekend trips were easily accessible. You can find yourself on hiking trails, cliffs, waterfalls or even hopping on a train and exploring Ireland's beautiful countryside. In particular to my internship, I learned so many valubale skills with regard to non-profit work and how these organizations operate. I gained a feel of what work life could be like for me in the future. It was a valuable experience, because I got a sense of clarity with regards to what I want my future to look like. I got the chance to work alongside a team of passionate co-workers that were very kind, welcoming and willing to include me in all aspects of the organization. I learned so much from the different people I have met throughout my time in Dublin and made lifelong friends that I look forward to seeing in the future. I would recommend anyone interested in an international experience with The Intern Group to go for it! The process was very easy and there was a lot of communication and transparency. Everyone is there to help find you the best placement for what you're looking for. The coordinators try to ensure that you're making the most our of your time. They are a nice support system that you get once you're in the city itself!

Francis

Trip of a Lifetime

The Intern Group did an outstanding job of turning Dublin into my home away from home. With all of the various events and meet ups I never felt bored and always felt that I had people to go out with. The friendships that I made over the past 3 months were incredible and will give me opportunities to visit multiple other countries in the future. I would highly recommend this program to anyone else who were to ask me about it in the future.

Philippa

The Intern Group Dublin

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Dublin. I have made great friends from all over and have visited and experience the most of Dublin & Ireland in the time that I had here. The Intern Group have had some really good events ranging from casual meals out, Irish dancing, to trips to the Guinness Storehouse and the cliffs of Moher. Thanks to the Partnership and Community Coordinator you feel confident to dive right into life in Dublin and connect with everyone within the group.

The internship itself has helped me get an industry experience and has taught me a lot that my degree missed. The company that I have been working for have been welcoming and have been able to let me get on and work with anything they've given me, as well as let me sit in on meetings. They also have a lot of exciting projects coming up, which I hope them all the success with.

My housing was a typical student apartment in Smithfield. Smithfield was a great place to live because you're close to nearly everything. The students in my apartment were very friendly and welcoming and because I lived on the top floor we had a balcony with a good view of the spire. The apartment also had all the utilities needed so I no need to buy anything but food.

Overall, I have enjoyed my time, seen a lot, made incredible friends and have industry experience that I hope will help in launching my career. My favourite moment has to be going on a girl tribe trip with my two friends to Glendalough to hike up the mountain and watch the sunrise as well as do yoga in front of a lake. It was a weird and wonderful experience that I would do again in a heart beat. Plus we played our tin whistles at the top just to make our experience ultra Irish!

I feel like the program could improve by making sure the companies have a plan for their intern in terms of work, as it took a while for work to come my way at the start.
Pedro

I loved Dublin, my work and the support from The Intern Group

The experience was amazing to me, and there are a lot of reasons for that.

First, I loved the city. Dublin is a medium size city that has all the conveniences a capital has but does not have problems most big cities have. Like an european town, it’s a safe place to walk at night, does not have traffic problems and public transportation works very well. On the other hand, big events like concerts, technology fairs, music festivals and many others happen in Dublin.

Dublin is also a very entertaining city, specially for young people. Once you arrive there you notice the population is very young and, because of that, there are several activities for people of this age. The pubs, for example are a great place to have dinner, listen to rock bands, appreciate tradicional Irish songs, play board games and much more.

Another nice aspect of the city is that you can meet people from all over the world. The fact that there are a lot of job opportunities there nowadays attracts people from Canada, USA, Chile, Brazil, Australia, Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, South Korea, Belgium, United Kingdom, India and many other countries (those are only nationalities of people I met there). For me, this was amazing! I love meeting people from other places and learning more about their countries. I remember there was this time I lived with people from Italy and France, so we all decided to make this international dinner where everyone had to make something from their country. It was very fun and a nice way to spend more time with people from the house.

My work experience could not have been better. I worked in a small start up and the fact the company was small made my experience really special. Since me and my boss were the only ones in charge of all the marketing decisions, I had big tasks as responsibilities. Probably my biggest challenge in those 6 months aboard was when my boss told me to build an entire marketing plan. This plan would affect the entire company so I felt that my coworkers were really relying on me. It was also a nice to work in a small company because I had a general overview of the whole business strategies, and that is very interesting to me because I have a dream of starting my own business.

I always felt The Intern Group was there for me. They would constantly get in touch with me and with the other interns to know if everything were ok. Also, as I stayed in Dublin for almost 6 months so many of my friends left before me. But The Intern Group kept providing events for the old interns to make sure old interns like me would make new friends from the programs. This was really important because I would have friends to go out, travel, go to the cinema or do whatever friends usually do.

In a general way I loved my experience. I totally recommend it to others, since I had a lot of fun and it was quite a professional experience.

Thank you Iolanda, Katie and everyone else form The Intern Group for making these months so special to me :)

Alex

Dublin Intern

Dublin was a truly unforgettable experience! Firstly we were looked after very well by the Intern Group team. They put on socials so you could meet fellow interns and put on presentations about how to succeed in the workplace. I spent six weeks there and they absolutely flew by as we spent the weekends travelling to places such as Galway to experience the culture of Ireland.
The internship in terms of work was extremely enjoyable and engaging. Every single day was interesting and provided me with valuable experience that I will be able to take forward with me. I would recommend this program to anyone as you make great connections, great friends and a great life experience!

There are no areas in my opinion that needed improving
Lexi

An Amazing Irish Experience!

The 6 weeks that I spent in Dublin with The Intern Group were some of the best weeks of my life! I had an absolutely amazing experience and I wished I had stayed longer. The best part of the program, by far, was having the opportunity to meet fellow interns from all over the world. It was awesome having such a great group of people to explore a new country with.

The Intern Group organized weekly meet-ups and events which was a great way to get to know my fellow interns! My favourite events included our day trip to the Cliffs of Moher and our visit to the Emmigration Museum. The program coordinators-Iolanda and Katlin- accompanied us during these events which was great because they are both so friendly and supportive! Feel free to ask them anything!

Dublin is a great city to do an internship in! There is always something to do and tons of trendy restaurants to try! The city is also quite small which is great because you can walk everywhere.
I was also fortunate to explore other parts of Ireland on the weekends with the other interns. I encourage all new interns to get out and explore Ireland!

I also had a great experience in terms of my actual internship placement! I am a recent graduate and I was eager to gain hands-on experience in a professional setting. I was nervous that I would end up completing simple and boring tasks such as photocopying and sending emails. However, I was lucky enough to intern at a great non-profit organization and I can definitely say that I gained tons of new skills and increased by knowledge about the non-profit sector. I feel as though I made a meaningful contribution to the company I was working for and that the staff members really valued my work. All the staff at the company were extremely friendly and always willing to help me out! My office was also located about a 15 minute walk from my housing accommodation which was VERY convenient!

The only thing that I would say definitely needed improvement would have to be the housing accommodation, especially taking into consideration the fee that participants pay for this program. The cleanliness of the house upon my arrival was not great and the housing supplies were lacking (i.e. missing and/or broken hangers, dirty appliances, moldy food in the fridges, no cleaning supplies).

About The Intern Group

The Intern Group is one of the leading providers of international internships. Our programs are located in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia & Latin America. We place participants from all over the world in international internships that propel...