- Experience! Central College Abroad places students in internships every semester and summer. Further, Central College Abroad has gained a well-established reputation with local Mexican organizations. You can ensure you are in good hands as we find you an
- Variety! We have internships in varying sectors available, from business administration to health care and law; you are bound to find the internship of your choice!
- Options! If you prefer to take part in a service learning option [instead], we have dozens of volunteer opportunities available!
- Culture! Enjoy great food, learn a new dance, and watch a local flick at a cinema in Merida.
- Excursions! There is so much to explore in Mexico. While Central College Abroad students take courses and intern, they still have plenty of time to explore Mexico, plan trips, and mini-excursions!
Merida, a city of nearly a million people, is a city of both new and old. The modern urban areas in the north part of the city stand in contrast to the historic downtown and bustling markets where you can hear the call of the elote (corn on the cob) lady and the clack of horse-drawn carts.
In Merida, Central College Abroad offers two programs – Language and Culture and Studies in Global Health. The heart of the Language and Culture program is the immersive experience in the classroom and the community that will dramatically improve your Spanish, even if it’s not your specialty. The Studies in Global Health program exposes students to a health care system different than their own and provides Spanish language preparation for a future career in health care.
View Program Information
•Guaranteed housing in Central College Abroad residence or home-stay with a local Yucatecan family. Both options include all meals (Mon-Fri and brunch on Saturday)
•Computer/internet access at the Central College Abroad residence
•Excursions and cultural events such as a five-day trip to the state of Chiapas
•Internship and service-learning opportunities (optional)
•24-hour staff and reception
•On-site resident director and support services
•Personal Central College Abroad Adviser for pre-departure support
•Optional online pre-departure and re-entry course
•Central College Abroad Student Survival Guide and Parent handbook
•Supplemental travel insurance , including mental health coverage, emergency evacuation and more
•International student ID card provided by INEXT
•Transcript from Central College, a U.S. institution fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission
For many students, scholarship funds make a real difference between participation and staying home. For students who attend a school that is part of Central’s cooperative council, additional scholarships are available.
Central College Abroad provides scholarship opportunities for semester and year program applicants for both Central College and non-Central students.
Scholarship applications are made after acceptance into a Central College Abroad program. Application directions and forms are accessed through an online acceptance account.
Pay attention to scholarship deadlines; some allow you to apply for the scholarship even if you have not officially been accepted to the program yet. Note that scholarship deadlines operate independently of program application deadlines.
Apply, apply, apply! It never hurts to try. Studying abroad is an experience that will enrich your undergraduate experience. Don’t let cost hold you back. Research your options so you can begin this life-changing journey!
Central College Abroad scholarship deadlines:
•March 15 — fall and year programs
•October 1 — spring programs