Environmental Internships South Africa with Roots Interns

NEW! Social Work and Psychology Internship in Cape Town

Join this nonprofit to gain on the ground experience in social work and provide psychological support to children with troubled backgrounds. You’ll work with a community center in a township that hosts children each day to ensure they have a safe and stimulating space to go. Assist with the day to day running of the center and with offering counseling sessions to the children.

We have some exciting environmental internships with NGOs in Cape Town that focus on urban greening, food security, horticulture, and environmental education. If you’re studying environmental sciences, biology, horticulture or a related field and are interested in doing an internship abroad, we have some great opportunities for you.

- Get a thorough understanding of the organization's methods, goals, and operations.
- An opportunity to put your skills into practice.
- Well-structured and guided internship that will meet your desired learning outcomes while getting a valuable work experience.
- Contribute to a worthwhile environmental cause.
- Work and live and in a beautiful part of Africa.

"They gave me the opportunity to work and develop my skills with them on a project that suited my background. I am beyond thankful to and I will never forget the wonderful people I met." - Robby, United States, Urban Greening Internship

• Flexible start and end dates
  • Duration from 8-26 weeks
  • Opportunity to be a large part of a small team

Elvira

Greenpop: UGP & Monitoring internship

My experience with Greenpop was an experience I think every one should go through. Why? Not only was this an opportunity for me to impact my studies, but also an opportunity to see and learn the South African culture. Three months later, I still can't seem to stop playing the highlights in my mind. From going to Rands for Sunday BBQ's and pap, waking up early to the beautiful table-cloth on the majestic table mountain, to viewing different Western Cape landscapes every week - even to unwillingly being carried away by the furious winds during the months of November & December. Oh, how I'd give anything to be back.
The internship itself was an eye-opener for me. I study Environmental Sciences of Sustainable Energy and Technology in the Netherlands, and with Urban Greening I got to experience the other 'spectrum' of this field. Learning mulching techniques and teaching different composting benefits to communities is an aspect I didn't consider as personal interest. Seeing smiles on children's faces in schools - who we got to plant and play with, is heart warming.
I would encourage every one to work with Greenpop and to make the world a better (and greener) place.

August

Urban Greening Intern at Greenpop

I had the great fortune to be able to go to Cape Town and do an Internship at Greenpop. The work that Greenpop does is amazing and it felt like they were driving an enviromental movement in the city and the rest of South Africa. My work at Greenpop felt meaningfull and I had many different tasks to work on and was given my own projects. I really enjoyed the aspect of having your own project has you were not just assisting someone else, you were doing your own thing and that was not something I expected out of an internship. Spending time in the office and out in different schools and other locations actually planting trees felt amazing. Greenpop really made an effort to tailor the internship to suit you and your interests. I consider myself blessed that I got the chance to work with Greenpop and the wonderful people there. It was a life changing experience and I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I would encourage anyone with a passion for enviromental issues and with the opporutnity to go to Cape Town for a longer period to apply for an internship at Greenpop. I don´t believe that there is a better internship out there for people who want practical experience in working with sustainability and the enviroment. I could not be more happy with my time there.

N/A
Response from Roots Interns

Thanks August, we are happy to receive such good feedback on your internship experience!

Robert

Internship with Roots Interns at Greenpop (Cape Town)

Hi everyone,

I'm super excited about the way Roots Interns treated me. I was desperately searching for an internship, since 1 month in advance my earlier internship cancelled. The clear contact with Roots Interns made me feel particularly confident about an internship in South Africa. I would recommend anyone who's doubting to go abroad, an internship with Roots.
Roots was very flexible, clear and helpful in any situation. Apart from that, the contact is personally, so any problem you might face is answered quick and efficient. I've had an amazing time and I'm thankful for the opportunity to travel with Roots.

Cheers,
Robert

Vinola

Best Experience ever!

I interned at Greenpop during 2016 in the Urban Greening Programme for 2 months.

This experience was not only fun but life changing. The work environment at Greenpop was unique and unexpected, but really enjoyable as the same time. Some of the best parts of the experience was getting to meet interns from around the world and getting to learn about their cultures.
I would highly recommend an internship with this program to anyone looking for a change or to gain some experience in their field. Not only this experience change your life, but will provide you with a new appreciation and outlook.

About Roots Interns

At Roots Interns, our mission is to create the perfect balance between meaningful work and valuable learning. That’s why we offer internships at NGOs and social enterprises that are adding valuable contributions towards community programs,...