TaLK - Internships in South Korea!

TaLK - Internships in South Korea!

Teach and Learn in Korea (TaLK) invites you on a Korean Government scholarship to teach English at a public elementary school in a rural area of South Korea.

Benefits include a monthly stipend of KRW 1.5 million (approx. $1,300), a settling-in allowance of KRW 300,000 (approx. $250), an entrance and exit allowance of 1,300,000 KRW (approx. $1,100), accommodation, health insurance and more! Have fun exploring a unique culture and develop a mature global mindset.

TaLK scholarship terms begin in August and February. Apply online for the 2016 Fall semester program!

• UNDERGRADUATES and graduates of accredited universities/colleges are eligible to apply **given they are a citizen from the U.S., U.K., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland or South Africa.
  • A 6-MONTH CONTRACT is available for those who want a "taste" of volunteer- and work-abroad experience in Korea.
  • RURAL elementary schools are our program's target locations, as geographically disadvantaged areas are the most hard-hit by the inequality in English education.
  • A KOREAN CO-TEACHER ("buddy") is available to provide teaching assistance during in-class instructions and to help you EXPLORE your options to learn Korean language and culture through various activities supported in part by your local government.
  • 4-WEEK INTENSIVE TRAINING is mandatory as a buffer period for adjustment and briefing of the following months to come. Orientation provides fundamental knowledge of Korea, living and teaching English in South Korea, the education system, teaching methodol
Asia » South Korea
Statement of Purpose
Letters of Recommendation
Phone / Skype Interview
Weekly Hours
While the TaLK Program does not charge fees for application and participation in our program, please note that the applicant/successful candidate may encounter fees during the application process (such as the obtainment of certain documents) or within Korea (such as the ARC Registration) that is not covered by the TaLK program.
Seoul

Chris
Toronto

TaLK is a great, but not flawless, program

BRIEF OVERVIEW:

The "Teach and Learn in Korea" (TaLK) program allows prospective "TaLK Scholars" (English Teachers) the ability to teach, travel, and reside in South Korea. Airfare and accommodation are taken care of by the provinces and a generous stipend is paid to the Scholar on a monthly basis. While certainly not an extravagant salary, it is very fair considering the amount of hours worked (15 per week) and the country's cost of living.

PROS:

Hands down, the best part of the TaLK program, for me, were the new people I got to meet. As part of TaLK, you are assigned a co-teacher - sometimes more than one - native to your region who assists you in managing your classes. It was a pleasure getting to know and work alongside these people. Not only were they a massive help in the classroom but they were selfless outside of it too. They acquainted us with our region, were our gateway into the Korean culture (e.g. introducing us to the language & cuisine), and were always there to lend a helping hand if we needed one. I can't say enough good things about them. They were some of my closest friends while abroad and the highlight of my experience.

Getting to experience Korea, firsthand, was my second favorite aspect of TaLK. I was located in Jeju which is an island off the southern coast of the country. Comprised of blue beaches, caves, cliffs, waterfalls, mountains, hiking trails, and greenery, it was the most beautiful place I have ever lived in and will likely ever live in. To get a cursory idea for its beauty, google Hyeopjae beach, Cheonjeyeon waterfall, Jusangjeolli cliff, Donnaeko valley, and Seongsan sunrise peak (to name a few). Four years after the fact and I still miss being a stone's throw away from these places.

CON:

My one gripe with TaLK lied in how it was managed. Management (i.e. the Ministry of Education as well as the faculty of one's assigned school), in my opinion, were too hands-off and never clearly indicated what TaLK should accomplish.

When I was in the program, teachers were given complete autonomy over their curriculum and respective classrooms. Management hardly oversaw us. This lack of oversight sounded great on paper but was troublesome for two reasons. Firstly, the majority of people in the program - myself included - did not have a background in education and could have used greater direction while on the job. Granted, we were paired with Korean co-teachers who had insight into the classroom culture of Korea but they, like us, often had minimal teaching experience. Add to this the fact that there were no concrete learning objectives articulated by the program and what you had - to put it bluntly - was a questionably managed, structureless class with no clear direction. The second issue with the lack of managerial oversight was complacency. When you're scarcely overseen and are not working towards specific goals, it's easy to become complacent and fall into a predictable routine. Not knowing what exactly was expected of me, I often resorted to recycling teaching materials and playing ESL games with the students far more often than I should have. Between my students' EPiK classes (another government-funded ESL program in Korea; TaLK's "bigger brother", if you will) and regular English classes, it was difficult to see where my classes fit into the mix.

Another flaw of management lied in how they conducted performance evaluations. Evaluations took the form of "model classes" where the faculty of the school (i.e. homeroom teachers, the vice-principal, the principal, and sometimes parents) sat in on a day's worth of your lessons once per semester. The issue with these model classes was that they were hardly an authentic representation of how the typical TaLK class was run. The first and most obvious reason being was that students would act considerably more composed in front of elder Korean faculty and their parents than they would around a younger foreign teacher (respect for elders is a Confucian value which runs deep in Korean society). Seeing the children on their best behaviour may have presented the illusion that the TaLK teacher was in complete control of the class when, in all likelihood, this was not normally the case. Secondly, the model classes were scheduled well in advance and so it was possible to rehearse their content with one's students to ensure a positive score during the day of the evaluation. A fix to both of these situations would be to incorporate inconspicuous and spontaneous evaluations 2-3 times throughout the semester to get an actual picture of how the TaLK classroom is being run.

The Ministry of Education in Korea likely caught on to some of the things I noted above as the program's efficacy was recently called into question and the program itself nearly got cancelled. Fortunately, it wasn't. I hope it now has a renewed focus. I do think TaLK has the potential to be a great learning tool for Korean students provided it sets clearer expectations of its teachers. It's also a great avenue to experience another part of the world for those who want a change of pace or would like to pursue a career in education.

Rya

TaLK in Jeju

I was with TaLK for one year, teaching elementary school in Jeju. The program was pretty amazing! I had the chance to work closely with some pretty awesome children, while developing my own teaching skills. The program starts off with a one month long orientation, which was pretty useful, but had long hours. We had some intro Korean lessons, which were very useful, and the chance to get tips from people who knew what they were doing.

There was an additional orientation at your local region. That gave me the chance to get to know the other scholars in the region. I hear that in other provinces the teachers are more spread out, but because I was on Jeju, most people were pretty close by. On the one hand, that provided a good support network for us when we were learning to lesson plan and how to deal with our new students. On the other, it did mean we didn't get the isolated experience in Korea that some of our peers on the mainland got, which could be a good or a bad thing depending on what you're looking for.

Overall fairly good support, though it really came down to your school.

Dan
Phoenix, AZ

Amazing Program!

This was an amazing program. I was so happy to have been part of TaLK. They really took care of me and I was able to experience Korea! It was a great to teach elementary students and really help them with their future. I made connections all over Korea and even made friends from all over the world.

The 3 week orientation is great too! I would have to say that the organized field trips and scavenger hunts were my favorite part of the orientation. The reason for this is because it gave the TaLK scholars opportunities to work with and get to know one another in an enjoyable setting. They were also structured enough to keep the groups busy, but casual enough to still have freedom to explore and experience Korea.

Most of the lectures from orientation are very applicable to what I will be doing in my assigned school. I can see the depth and detail the TaLK Program must have gone through to put together such an organized and diverse lecture load. Since I am fairly well accustomed to the Korean culture, I was able to reap the most benefits from the lectures involving teaching techniques.

Alex
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Cork School of Music

Amazing Experience

South Korea is an amazing country in itself. The culture is rich and the people are respectful. I had a wonderful time there.

The Teach and Learn in Korea Program offers a month of training to prepare you for what you will encounter in the school. They work hard to make sure that training is fun and relevant.

If you are the first to teach at your school, you will receive assistance in finding an apartment and money to furnish it. If you are not the first person, then you will have to just settle with what the person before you purchased.

We received three large books filled with teaching materials. It helped a lot. The activities are placed in subject order. It would be more helpful if the materials were separated into grade level sections.

My school was really kind to me. We had staff dinners and even a weekend trip to the mountains. I had loads of fun.

The TaLK program has so many benefits. The pay is very generous seeing as though your only real expense is food. In the program you only work 15 hours a week. This gives you a lot of free time. Explore the country.

I plan to go back to S. Korea. It was truly amazing.

Skenglishadvebrure
Chicago,il
University of Denver

Best abroad program

This program is safe, fun, and exciting. The programs orientation provides wonderful information and intro to south Korean teaching. The schools are small with kind kids wanting to learn. Best place to make friends all over the world

chunsa88
Sydney Australia

Great people not so great support

I was lucky, I had a great school with really nice teachers and facilities but one down side was I had no textbook to teach with so I had to make my own materials from scratch and that was really difficult.
The lack of co-teacher was another troubling point. There was only 1 co-teacher in my province but we had 3 TaLK scholars. There was a university 30 mins away from my school so I don't see why they couldn't have gotten someone from there to help out. It was really difficult trying to control the students when they didn't speak good English.
I found you get a lot of support during Orientation, but after that it's really just you on your own. The TaLK office has nothing to do with you after you go to your province.
The other foreign English teachers I met were really nice people and we made a network together. So overall it was ok.

CharlotteTeacher
Orlando, FL
Potomac College

TaLK: Six Months That Can Change Everything

I have nothing but great things to say about the Teach and Learn in Korea program. The gist of the program is to place native speakers into rural Korean after-school public classrooms and help foster a love of the English language in elementary EFL learners. The wage is not as much as EPIK teachers, but you also only work 3 hours a day. Flight is paid, housing is paid. As a "scholar" even get culture money to fund your own adventures and are provided with Korean classes.

The truth: The TaLK program changed my life. I am now in school to get my MA in TESOL and plan on going back to Korea for curriculum development. There is a one-month training session in which you learn how to teach and make tons of new friends. Korean food is some of the most delicious in the world. I had several mishaps while in Korea and the support staff was always timely in their replies. I never once fely unsafe. My school was rural, as stated in description of the program, but I felt completely welcomed and honored to teach there. Ample supplies, technologies and assistance were available in my classroom.

Downsides: Communication with your school can be difficult. Expectations are not clearly stated and miscommunications can be common and relentlessly frustrating. It's important to keep in mind that you are teaching a voluntary after-school class and that attendance is optional so you have to be fun and flexible in the classroom. Some people had bad experiences, but I also faced many challenges with my school. It is important to remember to always keep a positive attitude towards any dealings with your school or the Office of Education.

In summation: you're paid 1,500 a month to work 3 hours a day and teach adorable Korean school children and have a fantastic experience learning about Korean culture.

If you have two years of college under your belt and are looking for a life-changing experience, I have only one question-- Why haven't you already applied?!

Arjun
london

TALK application process, NOT the program!

I never actually ended up participating on the TALK programme, only applied. My warning to prospective applicants is to be prepared to go through a very lengthly application process. I had to go for an in person interview, obtain criminal record checks, get an apostille (none of which were explained very clearly), resubmit a lesson plan until it was of a very high standard, have to obtain two quality academic references. Also this all has to be done, ideally within two months of the participation deadline, otherwise your application may be deferred to the next cycle, like mine was. None of the expenses for crimical disclosure and transport were reimbursed. I'm sure the experience itself is a great one, but make sure that you have enough available time, and are willing to use all your resources to get through the application. Also, there were unclear instructions about their contact number of their website, and the website was quite slow.

Anna
South Korea

New program... has a lot of kinks to be worked out

I love teaching and I love working oversease. However, I have encountered many problems with my school. I think I am just at a "problem school."

Unfortunately the TaLK program has been little help with the issues I've had with my school.

If I had to do it again I would have chosen the Epik program. It pays MUCH better and I think a person would run into the same problems with either program.

June
Seoul, Korea
Roehampton University

do not hesitate... trust me I've been there!

What Can I say about the program...

It has been couple of years but the memory is vivid as it happened only yesterday.

I won't say how good is the prgram because you have to experienced yourself to know what it really likes.

ok...
good things....endless!!!
i'll try to make it as simple as a shopping list.

1.Wonderful opportunity to meet people from other countries and make friends.- I still keep in touch with some!

2.School teachers were really helpful and nice.
at my school, they gave tips of student's characters and it helped me a lot to understnad students and how to approach them. Also they found me a good place to live!

3. Good pay, good working condition and good life!
the pay is good and TaLK is really treating their scholars well. you are going to be placed at a rural area but you won't be alone because you will have other scholrs around your region and it helps a lot to settle down.

now 3 advises I would like to give to coming scholars.

1. Be nice!
please be polite. this is the key to have the best experience and get along with others no matter who you meet.

2. madke sure you have someone to talk to and meet.
very very important. maeke sure you are happy and don't feel lonely. Seriously, they will down size your problems when you share with them, they will maximise good things :)

3.Be thankful.
being in a strange culture is not easy. everything seems weird and awkward. but remember they(the school and children) also feels same way as you are!
But they are willing to accept you and love you. so be thankful for their willingness and open heart.

I can go on and on and on and on...

but i'll leav the best things for you to find out!

astrumes
Pomona, California
Language Schools

The highlight of my life so far!

The TaLK program is something unforgettable in every aspect of the world. There were ups, down, and all around amazing experiences.

While living in the rural countryside, I learned to become independent and responsible not just for myself, but for all the children I was teaching. The students you have will make you both want to rip the skin off your face and fill you with so much pride your chest feels like it will pop. While the language barrier can be something difficult to overcome, I learned that patience and perseverance is the key. They want to understand you as much as you want to understand them.

Traveling was one of the best things about living in South Korea. Feel like heading to the Haeundae beach? Hope on the train or bus and go! Its that simple! The cost is next to nothing and transportation in mind-boggling fast. It got to the point where I was traveling somewhere new every weekend that I always had a small travel bag ready to go at the drop of a hat.

So many of the cities are rich in history and seeped in South Korea's cultural identity. In my year and a half there, I've seen and lived with monks, been inside castles, temples, and breath taking museums. One of the more interesting being the Love Museum of Jeju Island. That's one everyone has to see at least once, if not for giggles.

Don't get me wrong, there have been some serious hardships as well. The language barrier is one of the most prevalent. But the lessons in Korean offered during the orientation and training has been an incredible help.

Weather, if you aren't used having a range of it, can be daunting. South Korea is the land of four distinct seasons. Spring is stunning as the cherry blossoms come into bloom (along with the allergies) and weather is mild... for all of two weeks. Then the blazing, humid summer is in full drive and the hum of cicadas a common background sound in day to day life. The air is so thick with moisture that you practically swim from place to place. The autumn season is unrivaled in its beauty as the trees turn into an array of amazing colors. The cooler temperature is relief from summer and before you can blink, its the dead of winter. Snow and sleet are heavy and it actually hurts to breath at times.

Mosquitoes, I learned the hard way, are beefed up and probably on steroids in Korea. During the summer, if you're not careful, they will eat you alive. They drove me mad as the made a meal out of me, even through the jeans of my pants!

The TaLK Program was the best thing I've ever done for myself and will be for a very long time. The people I've met, from all over the world, have touched my life and I know I'm a better person for knowing them. Immersing yourself in an environment so completely different and alien can be terrifying, yes, but just as rewarding. The memories I've made and the things I've done there things that some people will never get to experience in their lives.

Don't be afraid to a step off the edge. Don't let yourself get complacent. Don't make excuses for yourself. Learn to live! Learn it in South Korea.

lehazelnut
Bristol, UK
University of Manchester

TaLK all about it~~

TaLK is a pretty good idea if you are still studying but want some extra experience outside of lectures and essays. If you've graduated already though, I wouldn't recommend it as there are far better deals and experiences to be had.
For me, the average school meant getting to school for around 8.30am, teaching a lesson or two in the morning, and a lesson or two in the afternoon. Fifteen hours a week teaching is not stretching, but in our school although there was money for resources, there weren't any, so I spent a lot of that extra time making flashcards and the like, which I strangely enjoy. The most frustrating thing were the days when you only had an hour of class, but had to hang around all day just the same. On the other side, the school did make every effort to include me in all aspects of school life - from field trips to music clubs, which definitely enriched my experience. It's one of those you get out of it what you put into things...
To be honest, I didn't go to many of the TaLK organised sessions after the initial training; I settled into life in Korea pretty easily, and they just weren't really things I fancied doing. But the fact that I didn't go wasn't a problem, and I knew lots of people who went and had great times.
I taught with TaLK from 2008 - 2009, after which I stuck about in Korea for another year before moving back to Europe. Three years down the line and I'm still teaching and training to be a qualified teacher in my home country, and I can definitely thank TaLK for some of that.

JC
Norco, California
Language Schools

Great experience if you're open minded.

Korea is a strange place. It is very advanced in technology in some aspects, and far behind in others. Culturally it is still in somewhat of the dark ages thanks to its unwillingness to evolve past the old ways of Confucianism. The TaLK program somewhat tries to prepare you for this as best a government run bureaucratic program can do. Since it's government run you get special benefits, but you also get inefficiency, ineptness, and apathy. It's hit or miss. You can have a great school in a great province to a terrible school in a horrible province. If you're open minded and adaptable, you'll survive and deal with the stresses and contradictions of Korea, its culture, and this government run program. You'll grow and have many great experience making lifelong friends. It's definitely not a vacation. It's work, but if you put in a lot, you'll get out a lot.

YR1220
Canton, Michigan
Southeast Asia

Good-recommend to others

At the beginning of the program, I enjoyed the stay at the university. I met a lot of people and had no need to speak the language. Things were great! When I was moved out into my own province and my own city and apartment, things started to get difficult. Not knowing the language was choking me. With all that said though, the staff from the school was amazing. They sattisfied my every need and issue. They were always there when I had a problem, so this made life enjoyable and comfortable. My apartment was a mess from the previous scholar, but it didn't bother me much. I cleaned it up with my Korean co-teacher. She stayed up until 3 in the morning and helped me. I organized all of my stuff and turned the apartment into "my apartment". After all, this was going to be my home for the next 5 months. The time has passed by very quickly and I can't believe I only have 3 months left on my contract. Trips to Seoul, Samchuok, and other cities have been very enjoyable and you never feel like you have nothing to do. Gangneung has a river, which I walk along every night to clear my mind and breathe fresh air. This internship/scholarship program has offered me a great experience of teaching, culture and adventure. I highly recommend everyone to try it!

Doesn't get any better than this!

Although the day-to-day experiences can depend entirely on luck and how positive your own outlooks are, the experience as a whole is something unforgettable. The perks are undeniable, and the chance to work with children at your own pace is something I'm glad to be doing. It's been a great personal growth experience thus far (it's only been 2.5 months!) and the time has flown already!

SerenaP
Jeju, South Korea
Redeemer University College

Awesome Experience in South Korea!

TALK is such a wonderful program for anyone wanting to teach English in South Korea, especially for college students and college graduate who want to experience more of the world. The TALK program is a Korean government sponsored program, so the scholarship includes free housing and cultural field trips to learn more about Korea.

The schools where you teach are in the countryside, so it takes some time to travel to if you live in the city. But if you choose to live near your school, you can really develop relationships with the Korean community. The schools are often equipped with good technology and resources for teaching English.

The program requires you to only teach 15 hours a week, from Monday to Friday, so you have a lot of time to experience the culture, learn the language, and relax. It is also very easy and relatively cheap to travel to other Asian countries from Korea if you want to travel during your vacation.

Although you can certainly get around Korea with only knowing English, it would be great if you learn some Korean in order to communicate with the local people better and enjoy your stay in Korea better. The food is quite spicy compares to American food, so keep that in mind and be open-minded about trying new things. Korea is a fun place to be in because the Korean dramas and pop songs are very entertaining. Its fashion can be really cute. All in all, TALK is a great program to be in if you want to experience Korea and teach English to countryside students.

TheWorldTraveler
Charlotte, NC
University of North Carolina- Charlotte

Influentially fun

The work was fulfilling, being able to help children learn English, while doing it in a fun way. Help is available when you need it, and as long as you put an effort, in school and out, you'll have a great experience.

Gabby
Chicago, IL
University of Denver

Loved my experience with TaLK

I loved being part of this program. First of all, they provided a whole month of training, cultural experiences/introduction to Korea, Korean classes based on your level, and time to connect with a great group of friends who from all around the world and who are placed all throughout the country. The awesome thing about that was that when you visit different regions of Korea, you almost always have a place to stay, or someone to meet you there to stay with at a jjimjilbang (best alternative)! Plus, now that I've been out of the program for 2 years, I have friends all over the US and the world, and much more reason to visit those places!

Everyone's experience was different, so I'll just list my experience. I lived in a homestay with the family of one of my students. This was a great way to be involved in the community, to learn Korean and experience the culture on a day-to-day basis, and because I loved coming home to them every day. Also, I saved a ton of money this way since I didn't have to worry about electricity, heating, internet, or other living costs. I was able to take a large chunk of money home after my year! Some of the drawbacks were that I had a fairly small space of my own, I like I should come home at a decent hour (which is sometimes hard on the weekends, so then I just stayed at a jjimjilbang), and because of my limited Korean, we couldn't always communicate everything we wanted to each other. Still, I wouldn't have changed my experience living with them.

I lived in a ship building town in Jeollanamdo near Mokpo. It was a small town packed with people in high-rise apartments. My class sizes were about 30 per class and I only saw each class once per week. Also, I only saw 4th-5th grades. Most other people in the program had smaller school sizes, taught all grade levels, and saw their classes every day. Like I said earlier, every experience is different. Sometimes I wish that I had that small-school-experience, but I enjoyed where I was. It wasn't always easy to communicate with the staff and teachers of the school since I was not fluent in Korean. It was helpful that I had college students "Korean scholars", who were able to communicate in both languages, come and help with behavior management and getting messages across to the other teachers and staff. These Korean scholars were awesome, and became some of my closest friends!

I would say that the pay is pretty good for the work that we do. We basically work 15 hours per week aside from lesson planning and material preparation. Some programs pay more, but those jobs are full-time. If you are looking specifically to make money, then maybe this isn't the program for you, but if you are looking to experience Korea, gain a great community, and have an enjoyable time teaching, and then I would suggest that you consider TaLK! : )

mrjub
Michigan
Study Abroad

Amazing.

Nowhere else will you find this good of a program, with these ample benefits, in this awesome of a country. Everything is paid for, if you're considering TaLK, you'd be insane to turn it down. ^^

Topcat
UK
Swansea University

Amazing Experience!

This program was fantastic! It was my first time living in a foreign country and TaLK really made it easy to adjust to the culture change with their in-depth orientation which thoroughly prepares you for your adventures ahead. I spent 12 months teaching and I liked living in Korea so much that i am returning next month.

Canaydean
South Korea

Nothing's Perfect

The program is great... IF you get a school that is co-operative. Since there are over 300 participants chances are you or an acquaintance will be at "THAT" school. But since nothing is perfect and chances are that at least once in your life you'll hate your job. Why not ease your suffering by being in a new country, experiencing new things, hopefully learning and trying to do something meaningful by giving rural area children a chance to be exposed to native English/differing cultures.

eugenelee3
torrance, ca

loved the program

i simply loved it. referred my friends and they are having their time of their lives! i met some life long friends and still keep in touch in southern California! get way to network, learn the language and culture, amazing culture trips, taught some wonderful kids, and had a blast!

Justin
Seoul, South Korea
Macquarie University

The best thing I've ever done in my entire life.

I'm a second generation TaLK scholar (that's Jan 2009 - Feb 2010 for those of you playing at home), and I guess it speaks volumes about the experience I had that it's now almost the end of 2011 and I'm still here in Korea. The monthly stipend provided is more than enough to cover your needs- with the cost of living in Korea, you will want for nothing. In addition to the excellent work experience gained from the program, the TaLK office often organizes cultural excursions such as weekend stays in working temples, cooking classes and boat cruises along the Han River, all at no cost to you. The wonderful staff of the TaLK program are quick to provide any assistance they can and as such any difficulties encountered are quick to be overcome.

Possibly the best part of the entire program is not just the experience, or the opportunity to learn a foreign language but the friends for life that you will make with people from all over the world. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend this program to anyone who cares to listen. You will absolutely not regret it.

phili30
Gimcheon-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do, Republic of Korea
University of Toronto

Best decision I ever made

TaLK has honestly been one of the best things I have ever don in my life. While I was never specifically interested in a career in the education system, when this program presented itself to me, it was an offer I could not refuse. Certainly after arriving in Korea and going through the orientation program here (basically three weeks of great trips paid for by the Korean government, as well as a great networking opportunity; all on top of classes/lectures that help form a solid foundation for your future teaching experience) I could already tell that I made the right decision to drop everything back home and come on over. Once I was placed at my school, the staff were very welcoming and supportive, and within a few hours I was moved in to my home and being shown the key areas of my town (for example, where the grocery store, bank, bus station, etc. are). Through the past few months being here, my experience has been largely positive - any issues I may have had were promptly addressed by the appropriate person/department. The only issue I have really had while here is dealing with the very last-minute nature of things here. For example, you often don't find out you have a long weekend until the Friday before, which ends up making travel plans (if you care to 'escape' for a bit) rather difficult. However, being pro-active with issues like this (for instance, asking at the beginning of the semester what days you have off) will help you void these problems, but you are sure to still experience last minute requests and advisories. Otherwise, Korea as a whole has been a very welcoming, friendly country. My experience with TaLK has been so great that I even extended for an extra 6 months, despite my need to get back home to finish schooling (it's VERY difficult to just give up an opportunity like this).

Prince
Atlanta, Georgia

Definitely worth it

I am a 6th generation TaLK Scholar and even though I initially came over on a 6-mo contract I decided to stay an additional 6 months because I enjoy teaching, and I enjoy being able to learn about different cultures (coming from someone who has been to 12 other countries besides Korea).
While the pay rates are less than what an EPIK teacher would normally receive, as an internship it pays well, and usually you are given some extra time to explore Korea--more than what would be allotted to an EPIK teacher. And the pay is more than substantial for living inside of Korea and saving some money for going back home if you spend sensibly.
The 4-week long orientation, while long, is very helpful for giving you time to adapt to the different climate in Korea as well as the food if you're not used to eating it. It also gives you time to bond with the other members of the programme and set up a support system where you can learn to be independent and dependent on each other when you really need help or just need someone to console you. Remember you are not the only one away from home--you're all in it together even if your individual experiences are different.
This programme definitely is for a good cause. You (the participant) are helping the next generation of children to have a chance at a better future by helping them to become bilingual (or even multilingual) and exposing them to life outside of their usual comfort zone and at the same time you are earning about them and the way they live in Korea.

The Teach and Learn in Korea (TaLK) Program invites young, adventurous college students and recent graduates to teach English to elementary school students living in the rural areas of South Korea. Funded by the Ministry of Education and administered under the National Institute for International