Sol Education Abroad - Study Abroad in Heredia, Costa Rica

Study abroad with Sol Education Abroad in Costa Rica! This tropical Central American destination has so much to see with it's beautiful beaches, varied landscapes and endemic wildlife. The Sol Education Abroad program in Heredia offers a large variety of classes to satisfy the requirements for many degree plans. The program offers excursions around the country as well as many local cultural activities in and around Heredia.

• Highly rated homestays
  • Included excursions and cultural activities
  • High-level academic advising and assistance
  • Attentive and dedicated onsite directors
  • Very personable and inclusive program

Ethan

Pura Vida

SOL was incredible. It left a lasting impact on my life, and truly changed what I wanted to do after college. I obtained fluency in Spanish while there, and it was the best way to learn spanish. The immersion in a different culture was so much fun. I tried so many differnt foods I had never heard of before, and I was able to make so many new friends that I still keep im contact with! I would encourage anyone to study with sol!

The classes wernt difficult, but I was more of an advanced speaker. some of my class mates struggled, but I didnt have any difficulties
Lillian

Cataratas, Amor, y Español- My Time in Heredia

I knew no Spanish when I stepped off the plane in Costa Rica, but the classes were so informative and engaging that I was speaking with locals in no time. The staff and directors with Sol are very kind, patient, and helpful. One of the best parts about the Sol program is living with a host family. Sol takes great care in placing students with their host families and housemates. My living situation was perfect. The people in Heredia are so kind and so willing to help you with learning Spanish. The excursions that are planned in the program are so fun and help you see the variety of adventures Costa Rica has to offer. I absolutely loved my time in Costa Rica and would recommend the Sol program to anyone.

Kaitlyn

CR2018

Keep your valuables in a internal zippered pouch in your backpack and drink lots of water! This was the best trip of my life and I initially thought 2 weeks was a lot of time, but it flew by so quick. Take lots of pictures and take every opportunity to do things like go to the store or walk to town. I loved ziplining and the waterfall but I wish the waterfall was more of a private area where it was just our group and you could see the waterfall while swimming.

Lauren

Pura Vida!

Costa Rica is a gorgeous place. Besides the natural beauty, this program has a helpful staff that is always available to any questions you may have. They are tour guides, so they know all about the history and culture, and can recommend all kinds of places! Don't be afraid to ask! The homestay families are very accommodating, and love to cook. Be prepared to try new things, the veggies and fruits taste a little different, better, here where they are fresh!

Maybe letting the female students know that even security guards cannot be fully trusted. There was an incident where one kissed two of our unwilling female students.
Samantha

Life Changing

My experience with SOL is not one I will ever forget. It sounds cliche, but the truth behind this statement will reveal itself to you if you study abroad. I made so many amazing friendships with SOL, and I grew so much as a person. My spanish improved immensely and I now feel confident speaking because of my classes. The excursions were all breathtaking, amazing experiences. SOL includes culture activities as well, like a dancing class, a Costa Rican cooking class, and a tour of the city of Heredia where you can try a bunch of amazing fruit you have probably never heard off. My personal favorite was the dance class. The best part of the experience was my host family though. They embraced me with so much love, and were so accomodating. I am vegan and not once did I have to eat anything I did not want to. My host family treated me like family and so did everyone at SOL. I would recommend this experience to anyone and everyone. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I did not want to leave Costa Rica.

It couldn't really be improved. It was amazing.
Vanessa

Sol is incredible.

Sol is amazing. I was able to learn so much Spanish, and gain so many life long friendships. My host family was amazing, and I really felt at home with them. Classes were Monday-Friday from 8-11. Every couple of weeks, we went on an excursion to different places all around Costa Rica. Some incursions were zip lining, going to the beach, going to the rain forest, and white water rafting. Our directors of our program were amazing, and very helpful. There isn't a better place to spend the semester.

------
Heather

Costa Rica: A life changing experience

I have absolutely loved my experience in Costa Rica!! The people and culture have been wonderful and the scenery and wildlife are incredible. The education I received was amazing. I have learned so much in the three months I was here. Before this program I was really scared to speak up in class and try talk to people in Spanish. I feel so comfortable now having conversations with and learning and understanding from native speakers. I think this program has made greatly prepared me to graduate with a Spanish major and to speak Spanish more comfortably in the workplace and beyond. I felt like the educators, directors, and the Tico family I lived with really cared about my health and well-being. They were always kind and willing to help with anything I needed. I have made so many wonderful memories in the time I was here. I went on this trip with new people and have come out with lifetime friends. The experiences learning and exploring the countryside, cities, beaches, mountains, volcanoes and all of the other amazing places Costa Rica has to offer will stick with me for the rest of my life. This trip has changed my life for the better, and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn Spanish.

Nicole

Nicole Hopp Review

I honestly had the most wonderful experience in Costa Rica. My host family was great. I loved working with the children and mothers at La Posada de Belen. And the cultural activities were wonderful I wouldn't change a single thing about my adventure in Costa Rica. I know that there were a few groups that had bad experiences with host family so maybe go into detail with the Host families about what they are expected to do when they take in and international student.

Emma

Sol Education Costa Rica

I had never been out of the country on my own before traveling to Costa Rica last spring semester with Sol Education. I was nervous, especially for the home stay, but my time spent abroad was one of the most incredible experiences of my life and something that has impacted my day to day since I returned. My host family was generous and kind, my program directors were supportive and amazing resources, and the friends that I met through the program changed my life. Throughout my four months in Costa Rica, I attended regular classes, both focusing on the Spanish language with students in my program, as well as classes with locals at the Universidad Latina. After class and on weekends I spent time with the people in my program, either in formal organized activities by Sol or extra trips planned by my friends and I. I am so thankful to Sol for the opportunity to get to know a different culture and immerse myself in a variety of experiences I would never had dreamed possible in the U.S.

Jacob

My Experience

At the end of this trip, I told everybody that this was the greatest three weeks of my life. By far the best decision that I have ever made was studying abroad with Sol Education Abroad in Costa Rica. I began the program not knowing to much spanish but that changed exponentially by the end of the trip. I plan to pursue an internship in Costa Rica because I fell in love with the country and I owe this great experience to Sol Education Abroad and cannot thank my program directors enough for this opportunity.

N/a
Sarah

Like a Family

Sol study abroad was an amazing experience and being in high school still, people in the program did a fantastic job with helping me along the way. I became a family with my host family and I always felt welcome and safe. The director made one on one relations with her students and truly cared for us. I had great teachers, enhancing my spanish language and culture by challenging me to learn and broaden my horizons. Also, the excursions were some of the best times of my life.

Tess

Truly Pura Vida

The SOL abroad program in Costa Rica is phenomenal.
The Staff: The program directors are amazing. They offer 24/7 support for anything from homesickness to difficult schoolwork to travel recommendations to the flu. They are personally invested in making sure that the students have what they need and that they get everything they can out of the program.
The Students: While I'm sure this varies depending on the group, my particular bunch of students got along great. The students come from all over the Unites States. As the directors put it, each student is a unique ingredient in the "SOL soup." This program brings together people with different experiences and backgrounds, and gives them the space to explore this new culture together.
The Country: Costa Rica is unlike any place on earth. The people are warm and welcoming, and "Pura Vida" ("Pure Life") is not just a catch phrase: it truly is their way of living. For a $20 round trip ticket, you can travel anywhere in the country, going from vibrant city streets to virgin rain forests to sleepy beach towns in under an hour. Costa Rica is a place of infinite exploration, and everything is easily accessible and often extremely affordable (especially if you don't mind staying in hostels).
The Excursions: SOL picks a variety of excursions and cultural activities that presents the students with the best of the country. The activities and trips are well organized, and they are enriching experiences for all those that chose to participate. The directors ensure that the students have all of the necessary knowledge needed to gain everything they can from each outing (a testament to their devotion to the experience of the students).

Taryn

SOL Education Abroad Review

My study abroad experience with SOL education abroad was an adventure of a lifetime! All of my directors were amazing and provided us with a bunch of opportunities to maximize our experience. My host family was very welcoming and made me feel like part of their wonderful family. I made some really great friends that I still keep in touch with and plan to forever. Not only were the classes fun and engaging, but the excursions allowed us to see and experience so much of Costa Rica. Saying goodbye to the directors, my host family, new friends, and Costa Rica was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I will never forget my summer abroad with SOL!

Gabrielle

Disfrutando de la Pura Vida

I was never sold on the idea of study abroad because of the price tag, but now having done it, I can 200% say, it's worth it. Traveling by yourself or just with friends/family, you will not get the experience of living with locals, meeting other students with similar interests from all over the country, and doing the cultural activities as a group and guided by wonderful directors and Ticos.
I had an amazing Mama Tica who blessed me (she's Catholic like the majority of Ticos) every single time I left the house. Along with Costa Rican food, she made me pancakes and spaghetti, to try to make me feel at home.
My program was led by some incredible directors, Yessenia and Angie, who you can tell love their country, and love showing it to us students. They encourage us to buy products from the locals to support families rather than corporations, which I love. They also give great recommendations for activities and places to go on our free afternoons and weekends.
The excursions to La Fortuna, Manuel Antonio, and white water rafting were so much fun. Costa Rica is a stunning country, and I couldn't have picked a better program.
Quick recommendations: if you go in the summer, I would recommend a reusable poncho, because honestly umbrellas just don't cut it--my shorts were soaked every time. Take lots of tank tops! The humidity is insane, and you'll want to wear the least amount possible. I wore Chacos every day, and I was so glad. They're waterproof, and super comfortable for walking to/from school and around the city. The classes have homework every night, but the professors are very nice and understanding. They know you're there to explore too, so don't stress if you can't get EVERY single thing completed. Most of all, just get out and enjoy every second. You're going to meet a ton of great people and have some really fun adventures.

My only wish is to leave earlier or the day before for the weekend excursions so there's more time to explore. We only ended up with about 45 minutes at La Fortuna, which was unfortunate because it's such a beautiful place, and there are other trails that I'm sure are fun.
Natalie

Amazing Summer Experience in Costa Rica

I really enjoyed my time in Costa Rica with Sol. I tried a bunch of new things (foods and activities), I spent some awesome time in nature, I met some really cool people, I lived with a kind host family, and I improved my Spanish. I really appreciated that the first several weekends had arranged travel, but then the weekends after that were open for us to travel as we pleased. This arrangement worked well because it gave us time to get acclimated to our surroundings before sending us off on our own. By the end of my time in Costa Rica, I felt that I had grown a lot in independence and courage. I was more willing explore new places on my own, and this is a skill that will serve me well in the rest of my life.
My favorite memory of my trip is swimming in the bottom of La Fortuna waterfall. It was so gorgeous that it almost didn't seem like real life. I'll never forget it.

There are very few things about this program that could be improved. My only suggestion is that I think it would be cool if there were a few more cultural activities available after your first session is done.

About Sol Education Abroad

Sol Education Abroad (SOL) provides affordable study abroad opportunities in Costa Rica, Argentina, Spain, and Mexico. Sol Education Abroad prides itself in providing hands-on service to ensure an enriching experience abroad. It’s this unique...