Sol Education Abroad - Study Abroad in Costa Rica

Sol Education Abroad - Study Abroad in Costa Rica

Study with Sol Education Abroad in Costa Rica! Practice your Spanish skills while exploring the culture and people of Heredia and Atenas. This tropical Central American destination has so much to see with it's beautiful beaches, landscapes and wildlife. Spend time in the water, snorkeling and scuba diving, to see all of the colorful marine life.

Sol Education Abroad offers multiple excursions, including a trip to the crater's edge of an active volcano as well as hiking and zip lining over the cloud forest of Monteverde. Don't waste any more time- Check out the Sol Education Abroad website right now!

North America » Costa Rica » Heredia
Maymester
Winter
Spanish
Letters of Recommendation
The program cost includes tuition, housing (3 meals per day), weekend excursions (transportation, hotel, meals, entrance fees), weekday cultural activities, 24/7 director support, international medical insurance, laundry, and airport transfers. Scholarships are available on our website.
Heredia, Atenas

Tess
Maryland

Truly Pura Vida

The SOL abroad program in Costa Rica is phenomenal.
The Staff: The program directors are amazing. They offer 24/7 support for anything from homesickness to difficult schoolwork to travel recommendations to the flu. They are personally invested in making sure that the students have what they need and that they get everything they can out of the program.
The Students: While I'm sure this varies depending on the group, my particular bunch of students got along great. The students come from all over the Unites States. As the directors put it, each student is a unique ingredient in the "SOL soup." This program brings together people with different experiences and backgrounds, and gives them the space to explore this new culture together.
The Country: Costa Rica is unlike any place on earth. The people are warm and welcoming, and "Pura Vida" ("Pure Life") is not just a catch phrase: it truly is their way of living. For a $20 round trip ticket, you can travel anywhere in the country, going from vibrant city streets to virgin rain forests to sleepy beach towns in under an hour. Costa Rica is a place of infinite exploration, and everything is easily accessible and often extremely affordable (especially if you don't mind staying in hostels).
The Excursions: SOL picks a variety of excursions and cultural activities that presents the students with the best of the country. The activities and trips are well organized, and they are enriching experiences for all those that chose to participate. The directors ensure that the students have all of the necessary knowledge needed to gain everything they can from each outing (a testament to their devotion to the experience of the students).

Taryn
San Antonio, Texas
University of Texas- San Antonio

SOL Education Abroad Review

My study abroad experience with SOL education abroad was an adventure of a lifetime! All of my directors were amazing and provided us with a bunch of opportunities to maximize our experience. My host family was very welcoming and made me feel like part of their wonderful family. I made some really great friends that I still keep in touch with and plan to forever. Not only were the classes fun and engaging, but the excursions allowed us to see and experience so much of Costa Rica. Saying goodbye to the directors, my host family, new friends, and Costa Rica was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I will never forget my summer abroad with SOL!

Gabrielle
University of Louisville

Disfrutando de la Pura Vida

I was never sold on the idea of study abroad because of the price tag, but now having done it, I can 200% say, it's worth it. Traveling by yourself or just with friends/family, you will not get the experience of living with locals, meeting other students with similar interests from all over the country, and doing the cultural activities as a group and guided by wonderful directors and Ticos.
I had an amazing Mama Tica who blessed me (she's Catholic like the majority of Ticos) every single time I left the house. Along with Costa Rican food, she made me pancakes and spaghetti, to try to make me feel at home.
My program was led by some incredible directors, Yessenia and Angie, who you can tell love their country, and love showing it to us students. They encourage us to buy products from the locals to support families rather than corporations, which I love. They also give great recommendations for activities and places to go on our free afternoons and weekends.
The excursions to La Fortuna, Manuel Antonio, and white water rafting were so much fun. Costa Rica is a stunning country, and I couldn't have picked a better program.
Quick recommendations: if you go in the summer, I would recommend a reusable poncho, because honestly umbrellas just don't cut it--my shorts were soaked every time. Take lots of tank tops! The humidity is insane, and you'll want to wear the least amount possible. I wore Chacos every day, and I was so glad. They're waterproof, and super comfortable for walking to/from school and around the city. The classes have homework every night, but the professors are very nice and understanding. They know you're there to explore too, so don't stress if you can't get EVERY single thing completed. Most of all, just get out and enjoy every second. You're going to meet a ton of great people and have some really fun adventures.

My only wish is to leave earlier or the day before for the weekend excursions so there's more time to explore. We only ended up with about 45 minutes at La Fortuna, which was unfortunate because it's such a beautiful place, and there are other trails that I'm sure are fun.

Natalie
Evansville
University of Evansville

Amazing Summer Experience in Costa Rica

I really enjoyed my time in Costa Rica with Sol. I tried a bunch of new things (foods and activities), I spent some awesome time in nature, I met some really cool people, I lived with a kind host family, and I improved my Spanish. I really appreciated that the first several weekends had arranged travel, but then the weekends after that were open for us to travel as we pleased. This arrangement worked well because it gave us time to get acclimated to our surroundings before sending us off on our own. By the end of my time in Costa Rica, I felt that I had grown a lot in independence and courage. I was more willing explore new places on my own, and this is a skill that will serve me well in the rest of my life.
My favorite memory of my trip is swimming in the bottom of La Fortuna waterfall. It was so gorgeous that it almost didn't seem like real life. I'll never forget it.

There are very few things about this program that could be improved. My only suggestion is that I think it would be cool if there were a few more cultural activities available after your first session is done.

Amy
Yorktown, NY
Bloomsburg University

Winter Break in Costa Rica with SOL Education Abroad

I spent 3 weeks of my winter break in Costa Rica with SOL Education Abroad. We spent New Year's Eve there, one of the coolest experiences I had on the trip.

We went to la casa de la hija de Mama Tica where we met her daughters, son-in-law, and grandchildren. They only live about 2 minutes away. The house was still decorated for Navidad. Era bellísimo y la familia tambien. Kylie and I felt welcome at Mama Tica’s daughter’s house, the whole family greeted us with a kiss on the cheek which is customary in Costa Rica, but still much appreciated. We ate dinner at about 10:00 at night. I had steak and chicken on tortillas with chimichurri. Interestingly, the chimichurri wasn’t like the sauce I had tried before en los Estados Unidos. It was chopped tomatoes with onions and cilantro, but still delicioso!

We counted down for el año nuevo and Mama Tica literally jumped out of her seat and ran out of the room when we reached zero! We followed her outside to watch fireworks and celebrate in the street. I’ll never forget the view. We stood halfway up a steep hill overlooking downtown Heredia and San José. The lights of two cities were joined by sparks of fireworks on the mountain. The night air was cool and a couple other families in the neighborhood celebrated with drums and firecrackers. We came back inside to have “gelatina” which is jello and rum cake with caramel vanilla ice cream.

Soon we would return home, eager to get some sleep. Before we went to bed, Mama Tica told Kylie and I that we were gems, so close to in such a short amount of time. She is so happy we are able to communicate well with her. She drew the sign of the cross on our foreheads with her thumb, as she does most mornings before we leave the house, and off to bed we went. I hope to stay in touch with Mama Tica for as long as possible! She taught me so much Spanish, sometimes we would talk for hours after dinner (which was always delicious.) This was just one of the many meaningful experiences I had in Costa Rica, I'd be able to fill a whole book with the rest.

I can't even think of something they need to improve on! Everything was so meticulously planned and a lot of detailed info and advice was given to everyone along the way.

Aubrey
Waco
Texas A&M University

Was it a dream?

My classes and my teachers have been incredible, and I have already learned so much in my short time there. I would like to become a Sol Student Ambassador because I want to help other students feel excited and empowered by their decision to further their education because I believe it is truly one of the best choices one can make to influence their future, . Also, my experience at Costa Rica has had such a positive impact on my life that I am thankful for the chance to give my time and resources to all the program does.

Erin
Flagstaff
The Catholic University of America

Host family the highlight

In May I returned to the U.S. after four months abroad in Heredia, Costa Rica, a sweet, lively town about an hour by bus from the nation's capital, San Jose. I studied with Sol Education Abroad, and I loved it. The directors made sure that we were more than tourists: at every opportunity, we talked about the social, political, economic, and cultural situations of the areas we visited. I spent my semester parasailing, white-water rafting, waterfall rappelling, hiking, and zip-lining...all while taking five classes and improving my Spanish by leaps and bounds. (Parents, never fear! I did indeed study plenty, and one of my five classes was with locals. That's right, in Spanish for Spanish speakers, dealing with the Costa Rican government structure, with Spanish tests and Spanish presentations! Was it hard? YES. Was it worth it? YES.)

My Spanish improved big time, especially since I lived with a host family. I still talk to my host mom, and I have plans to return in a few years. My host family's open arms are just a microcosm of the way that all of Costa Rica welcomed us not simply as tourists, but rather students of their language and their culture. I had conversations with bus drivers and taxi drivers and hotel clerks alike, all whom were impressed by my desire to communicate in Spanish and excited to share their opinion on the best beaches or the most beautiful can't-miss views in the country.

I could talk about my time abroad for a really long time. I wrote a blog if you want to know more (equaltohismajesty.wordpress.com), but from volunteer work to typical meals to beach weekends with the girls to Holy Week processions that filled the streets, I can't do justice to how my time in Costa Rica with Sol changed me. Basically, I have to tell you this: just go! You won't be sorry; I know I wasn't.

Encourage students to use Spanish all the time, consistently throughout the whole semester. Directors were good about that at first, but by the halfway point, most students were speaking Spanish only with native speakers.

Morrissa
San Francisco, CA
University of California- Berkeley

Semester Abroad with my Solmates

Wow! I don't know where to start. My semester abroad with Sol Education in Heredia, Costa Rica was absolutely perfect. To begin with, the length was ideal (a little over 3 months with start and end dates almost identical to my semester at my home university). The homestay was an amazing way to learn about the culture and really master Spanish. The directors help you every step of the way as well! They plan activities for almost every weekend, and give suggestions for free weekends. Also, I feel like I was really able to bond with my fellow students because we all were able to take classes together. Heredia especially is an ideal location to study abroad because it has everything a large city has to offer but is close to more tranquil and jungly destinations as well. I would highly suggest using Sol Education for your study abroad semester, summer, week, month, etc. Down to the airport pick up and drop off, Sol did not fail to impress.

It is hard to find faults with the program itself. If anything, I would say even more excursions. That being said there were plenty to keep you entertained throughout the entire 3 months in Costa Rica.

Laura
Prescott, Arizona

Best Study Abroad Program I've Ever Found!

Studying abroad with Sol Education changed my life! The staff are dedicated to the mission of traveling with cultural awareness, giving back to the community where you've been given the opportunity to expand your world views, and diving deep into a understanding of a language your passionate about learning. I will never forget the experiences I had visiting a off the grid permaculture farm that I later had the opportunity to volunteer with. I'm grateful every day that I found Sol Education and think about the people I met and experiences I had every day.

Everyone needs to do this program. There was nothing about it that I would change!

Jordan
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Oklahoma State University

A Real Life Fairytale

When someone comes back from going abroad it is hard to truly captivate what growth and experiences they have gained in the process. During my time abroad, which now just feels like a dream, I was pushed to my limits and challenged unlike I had been in the past. I was physically pushed by hiking volcanos, whitewater rafting, cliff jumping, and attempts at surfing. Mental I was pushed whether it was simply learning the language or ideology and philosophy. The trip gave me everything I had hoped to gain- amazing stories, wonderful pictures, knowledge, confidence, and friends.

I think more programs that made you interact with the locals or more volunteer work with the wildlife

Katrina
Kansas City, Missouri
University of Missouri- Kansas City

Sol education

A lot of Costa Rica is just going where life takes you. One weekend, life took me to Manuel Antonio. While I sat at the beach, baby monkeys would distract visitors while the adults would get into bags. We even had a racoon open up one of our backpacks trying to get food. Who would have thought the best pick pockets here would be the animals! You really had to be careful with your items, or else something would get their paws all over it.

I would change the location. We couldn't walk at night,which was at times frustrating.

Thomas
Houston, TX
University of Houston- Downtown

¡Pura Vida!

University of Houston - Downtown's study abroad to Costa Rica offered together with SOL Education Abroad is nothing less than perfect! It is the perfect length for a real but not unreasonable commitment. It is the perfect place because it is exotic but somehow quite familiar. It has the perfect classes offered for any level of Spanish Language study. The host families are incredible. The excursions are unmatched. And the overall experience is exactly what it's advertised to be, ¡Pura Vida!

Heather
Bloomsburg, PA
Bloomsburg University

Summer 2015 Study Abroad

I think this program is very well set up with the excursions during the first three weeks and time to travel alone or with friends during the following weeks that you chose to stay for the program. I also believe the three week long programs are a good amount of time for each class. My favorite part of the whole experience was my host family. They were so personable and willing to open their house to me that by the time I left 11 weeks later I felt as if I was part of the family. I miss them every day, and they really helped me to enjoy the experience more. Overall this experience was well worth the cost and I would love to study abroad through SOL Education Abroad again.

How the safety is laid out. We are told to take taxis, but even some of the taxis aren't safe. Also some of the programs we get back really late as a group and instead of being dropped off at our homes we were dropped off at the university with hope we could find a taxi or a safe way home.

Mita
College Station, TX

Best decision EVER!!

You will have so much fun make so many good friends! The directors and everyone involved in Sol are so dedicated to making this the best experience you've had to date. They've helped me with everything from my speaking skills, to overcoming homesickness, to helping me plan my own trips! It's been amazing--it's gone by so quickly! This has been the best decision I've ever made, hands down!"

More challenging classes and more Spanish Speaking between the Americans on the program

Jade
Springfield, Missouri
Missouri State University

A Beautiful Journey

Costa Rica is truly a magical place. From the cities, to the beaches, to the forests and rivers, there wasn't one part of this beautiful country that I didn't fall in love with. Yes, there's poverty and crime, but that's part of life. I never felt unsafe in Costa Rica with the guidance and support of the Sol directors. They exceeded my expectations in more ways than I could ever have imagined. They helped us to see beyond tourist attractions in order to fully experience the purest essence of Costa Rica. They encouraged us to interact with locals, try new foods, buy locally and ethically made products, and to be sensitive toward customs and traditions. They did a magnificent job of selecting roommates and host families. I feel lucky to have stumbled upon this amazing program and location. I met people and experienced things that I never would have if I hadn't embarked on this journey. I now feel that I know myself on a much deeper level through studying abroad. A million thank yous to Sol and Costa Rica for the experience of a lifetime!

I honestly can't think of anything I would change.

Mita
College Station, Texas

Best decision EVER!!

My last weekend in Costa Rica, I went to Montezuma. I woke up, terrified, to the sounds of a gang of howler monkeys, ate my last casado, climbed and scaled a waterfall, made friends with a giant, very pushy bird and three fellow travelers, learned how to surf, and got to see the most beautiful nature!

Classes need to be mixed with locals!!!!

Rachel
Bethesda, MD

My Home In Atenas!

My past three weeks in Costa Rica have been quite wonderful. Last year I had traveled to Spain (which just seems more exotic) but it was a little disapointing. The director was immature, my host mom was mean, and I spent way too much money at Zara. Atenas is beutiful, but very quant. After about a week I had checked out the majority of the city, and was a little bored. But as the excursions started and clases picked up, it was almost imposible to stay up past ten in the evenings, out of utter exhuastion. My host mom accepted me as one of the family. The house was warm (boiling) and cozy, it was a very comfortable envirioment. My host mom was a queen in the kitchen, and the pure time and effort she put into our meals was astounding, it did not seem like much of a chore for her. I loved my spanish clases, the profersors really knew how to teach, it was not just about writting essays and using the proper tenses, they really wanted us to be comfortable talking. It was also really cool to see such a creative approach to teaching, I wish clases were more like that in the U.S.

It was pretty close to perfect, to be honest...

Carly
Libertyville, IL
University of Kentucky

Pura Vida is the best way to live!

I gained so much knowledge about nature and culture and I love it. I believe that studying in Costa Rica will give me life long useful knowledge that can be applied to anything. I now follow the "Pura Vida" lifestyle and I have never been so free and relaxed! I loved my host family so much. My Mama Tica made the best meals and she really made me feel like her own daughter!

My friend lived about 2 miles from campus so the walk to and from class every day was terrible for him. Please choose closer host families!

McKinley
Cincinnati, Ohio
Eastern Kentucky University

The Total Immersion and Travel Experience

I went to Costa Rica seeking adventure and found it in many more places than I anticipated. Not only did I get to experience the natural beauty the country offers through excursions provided by Sol and personal travel, but I fell in love with the culture. My host family provided me with support, the most delicious food, and eventually became a second family. My directors were more than helpful and were my most trusted teachers. Other students on my program became my closest friends. Costa Rica has more to offer than just volcanoes and gorgeous beaches - and Sol will teach you how to be more than a tourist: how to be a traveler.

I would like more contact with past students so I could ask them their favorite locations to visit on weekends. Sometimes I was conflicted about where to spend m time.

Drew
San Antonio, Tx
University of Texas- San Antonio

Best trip ever

I am very glad that I went to Costa Rica. I was able to put into practice everything that I learned about Spanish. Costa Rica is a great place because of the people and the sights. I would highly recommend it to anyone. The people are very nice and eager to see other people speaking their language.

N/A

Chelsea
La Crosse, Wisconsin

PURA VIDA!

I studied abroad from December 26th, 2013 through January 13th, 2014. I had been dreaming of studying abroad in Costa Rica since 8th grade. Six years later, my dreams came true! I loved that all of the excursions and meals were included. My host mom was nice and helpful. She was accommodating to special diets. However, I definitely overpacked. Pack light! My host mom did my laundry about twice a week, so I had plenty of clothes. Unfortunately, my luggage was lost by the airport, so I was in a foreign country for the first time without any clothes or toiletries for four days. Do not forget to pack a carry-on bag with extra clothes! My study abroad program director was extremely helpful though. She rode the bus with me to the airport to try to talk to security and Spirit Airlines. My program director also went to Walmart with me to buy new clothes and basic essentials until my luggage was returned to me. I really appreciated all of her support. It was a stressful situation and prevented me from fully enjoying my first few days in Costa Rica. I took a three credit Latin American Civilization class. My class consisted of four other students. I really liked that it was small and personable. Some of the excursions included a visit to the Toucan Rescue Ranch, an authentic Costa Rican cooking class, La Fortuna, Hot Springs and Arenal Volcano. From this excursion, I gained a better insight into how to relate with people that are different from me, which is a skill that is definitely useful in life and applicable to almost any career.

I did not feel fully prepared to ride the buses on my own in Costa Rica, which are a primary means of transportation. I wish that the program director would have been more helpful in that aspect.

Erick
Houston, Texas
Texas A&M University

Costa Rica: Pura Vida

Costa Rica is great. It' definitely what you make of it, of course, but if you love wildlife and beautiful scenery, then this is the place for you. The Support from the staff is tremendous, every time I have needed something, they have always been there to help with a smile. It's like a family.

Better selection of the host families, not bad, but maybe to make sure they actually have enough free time to care for students

Cara
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State University

Viva la pura vida con Sol

Costa Rica is an incredible country.
To visit Costa and not leave with a deeper appreciation of the earth is nearly impossible. Sol study abroad recognizes this and employees people who do their best to highlight Costa Rica's natural perfections. Everything about the Sol program is built to encourage an appreciation for foreign culture, an appreciation for the planet earth, and an appreciation for language. Sol is a family, and they do an impeccable job at making each and every student that comes into their program feel like a part of that family. We explored, discover, tasted, tested, wandered and truly soaked in everything that "the happiest country in the world" had to offer, with Sol. I came to Costa Rica with a full suitcase and left with a full heart. The cost is nothing compared to the personal gain. I attained priceless wisdom during my time in Costa Rica. Thank you, Sol, for showing me how to live "la pura vida" and creating an environment that encourages cultural appreciation.

Sol 2015 :)

more hiking.

Rebecca
Heredia, Costa Rica
Grand Valley State University

Love Sol and Costa Rica!

Sol in Costa Rica is amazing. The staff is so attentive, accessible, and truly care. Classes, my tica familia, and all the clubs I can be involved in are my highlights. True Spanish immersion, and our directors are always encouraging us speak Spanish. Four or five excursions are included in our program cost-from zip lining through the rainforest to spending the weekend in the Caribbean, I have had one in a lifetime opportunities. I honestly don't have anything negative to say. By far Sol Costa Rica is the best I could have ever found.

Many classes had to be changed because the university's schedule kept changing. This made it difficult to plan ahead exactly what classes with locals I could take.

Raquel
San Diego, CA
University of Colorado- Boulder

Trip of a Lifetime

I can honestly say that these few months here have been the most life-changing, eye-opening, most amazing time I've had in my life. Everyday is something new and fun. The culture here is unlike anything I've experienced before. Ever since my vacation to Costa Rica in 2012, I've had a special bond with this place and my decision here has been the best thing I've ever done. Sol has been there for me whether it be the stomach flu, a cold, and even stitches, taking care of me as if they were my parents. I feel so at home and at peace here and home-sickness is close to none. I consider my casa tico my home and all my SolMates family. I could not of asked for better counselors, teachers, or friends. Janiva and Jessenia are beyond incredible at what they do and always want the best for us. My spanish has improved tremendously thanks to the classes, and Janiva always saying "en español?". :)

Mimi
Plymouth, Minnesota
Wagner College

Time of my life

Every morning I wake up and have breakfast at 7. It is usually fresh fruit, some type of pancake or empanada, and hot chocolate. Then I walk 10 minutes to class, and on the way I am joined by many of my SOLmates. Most of our program lives in the same neighborhood. We have Spanish class from 8 to 11, and are separated by level. I can honestly say I enjoy these classes. After class we go home for lunch at about noon. My afternoon activities vary by day. They include: zumba, volunteering with kindergarteners at a nearby school, conversation club with locals, and volunteering at a nursing home, and hip hop class. On Tuesdays I have theater class with locals. We get to choose a class with locals to take and they really help us improve our Spanish. On Wednesdays Sol provides us with cultural activities. They have included: a rescue ranch, cooking class, traditional dance class, coffee tour, and more. Dinner is at 6. My host mom is an excellent chef. I have tried so many new foods and loved them! I am always excited for mealtimes. We have many weekend excursions with SOL that are included. On our free weekends, we like to plan our own excursions. With SOL, we have been to Punta Mona (a beautiful sustainable living farm on the beach), La Fortuna (waterfall, hot springs, volcano, zipline), and soon we are going to Nicaragua. For excursions that we planned ourselves, we went to Manuel Antonio, Barva volcano, and a small group even climbed Chirripo. When we stay in Heredia for the weekend, we go out dancing, have relaxing nights in, or spend the day in Heredia Centro or San Jose. One of my favorite parts of this program is that our directors encourage us to speak Spanish. There is a lot of time that we can easily speak English- weekends, between classes, etc- but Janiva and Jessenia urge us to keep speaking Spanish. It has definitely gotten easier with time. I love the homestay because we get to feel like part of the family while we're here. The meals are incredible and I love having conversations with my host mom. She helps with grammar and words that I don't know. It is a warm and homey environment that I will miss tremendously when I leave. Studying abroad is the second best decision I've ever made. Choosing SOL is the first.

I suppose that it would have more excursions, even though we have a lot. I would love to be able to go to both neighboring countries, but I know that is a big expense in time and money.

Janet
Winona, Minnesota
Winona State University

BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!!!!

Coming to CR with Sol has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. They care so much about our well being, health, and are always helping us to do our best. Between the cultural activities we have every week, conversation club, and excursions, they are showing us everything Costa Rica has to offer and more. I've already learned so much, and I can't wait to continue on with this once in a life time experience, that I have SOL to thank for!!!

Make the classes more structured.

Ruth
Oakland, CA
University of Rochester

That time I fell in love...

I didn't fall in love with a boy or a girl. I fell in love with Costa Rica, and it was all thanks to Sol. When I landed in Costa Rica, I was beyond nervous, but the moment I met Janiva, my program director, and the other students, and when I stepped outside and was greeted by tico taxis and sunshine, I knew I my life was about to change. And it did.

The host family that Sol matched me with was amazing. My tica mom cooked the best meals, always chatted with me when I was home, and treated me as her own daughter. My host siblings were so much fun and often invited me to do things with them and their friends, or brought me to try new restaurants or see different areas of Heredia. More than two years later, we still keep in touch and visiting them is always a highlight of my trip when I go back.

I learned a lot from my spanish classes and electives at the Universidad Latina. I met local students from our exchanges with English classes, and my professors were incredibly friendly and understanding. In addition to classes, Sol took us on cultural excursions where we learned how to cook tica food, danced salsa with locals, saw different parts of the country, and met all sorts of interesting people.

The very best part of my experience with Sol (besides walking away with an incredibly improved sense of the Spanish language and the Costa Rican way of life) was the relationships that I built. I fell in love with Costa Rica, but that never would have happened if I hadn't been surrounded by such wonderful people. From the people running the program, to the professors, to the other students, and the host families... everyone was so supportive and loving. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I think my spanish could have become even stronger if speaking English had been more strictly prohibited. Also, they could have provided a bigger variety of volunteer opportunities. Almost all of our volunteer projects involved working with children, which I loved, but I would have liked to have a little more variety.

Meghan
Heredia, Costa Rica
Western Kentucky University

INCREÍBLE

Mi tiempo aquí en Costa Rica con Sol ha estado muchísimo divertido. He aprendido tanto sobre la cultura y la lengua. No podría pedir por más. Las excursiones son preciosas y cuando no hay algo planeado, Sol recomienda algunas cosas para hacer o lugares para visitar. Estudiando español aquí con Sol es una de las mejores decisiones de mi vida.

Verdaderamente, no sé lo que cambiaría. Tal vez más oportunidades de voluntariados diferentes.

Morgan
Sacramento, CA
McDaniel College

I LOVE IT!!

Sol Education Abroad is a wonderful company! I really enjoyed my directions in Costa rica. They were very knowledgeable about the area and what types of things there were to do. They were also very helpful with any questions I had.

Costa Rica is one of the most beautiful countries ever! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves nature and relaxing.

I learned a lot in my course. My grammar improved, and I learn a lot about the culture. My professors were really interesting, and they enjoy was they do.

We had tons of opportunities to interact with the locals. W played soccer with ticos, and we played games with kids. We danced with some senior citizens, and I helped plant a fruit tree on campus.

My most memorable experience was finally seeing a sea turtle. My friends and I planned a trip to the northern part of Limon (the Caribbean side of Costa Rica). During July, the turtles nest on the beaches. I never knew how big sea turtles were, but now I have had the ability to meet one up close and personal. It was a ton of fun!

Sol is perfect for anyone who is looking to explore a Spanish-speaking country as well as make new friends along the way. I highly recommend it!

I wish I had taken courses with native Spanish speakers. I love my American friends, but I wanted more time immersed in Spanish. When we hung out, we spoke in English. That was really my only issue, but you will find this problem in almost any study abroad program during the summer. However, when I expressed my concerns to my director, she helped me to find ways to continue practicing my Spanish like volunteering.

Sol Education Abroad (SOL) provides affordable study abroad opportunities in Costa Rica, Argentina, Spain, and Mexico. Sol Education Abroad prides itself in providing hands-on service to ensure an enriching experience abroad. It’s this unique approach that makes SOL both a leader and innovator in university