Sol Education Abroad - Study Abroad in Costa Rica

Study with Sol Education Abroad in Costa Rica! Practice your Spanish skills while exploring the culture and people of Heredia and Atenas. This tropical Central American destination has so much to see with it's beautiful beaches, landscapes and wildlife. Spend time in the water, snorkeling and scuba diving, to see all of the colorful marine life.

Sol Education Abroad offers multiple excursions, including a trip to the crater's edge of an active volcano as well as hiking and zip lining over the cloud forest of Monteverde. Don't waste any more time- Check out the Sol Education Abroad website right now!

Vanessa

Sol is incredible.

Sol is amazing. I was able to learn so much Spanish, and gain so many life long friendships. My host family was amazing, and I really felt at home with them. Classes were Monday-Friday from 8-11. Every couple of weeks, we went on an excursion to different places all around Costa Rica. Some incursions were zip lining, going to the beach, going to the rain forest, and white water rafting. Our directors of our program were amazing, and very helpful. There isn't a better place to spend the semester.

------
Heather

Costa Rica: A life changing experience

I have absolutely loved my experience in Costa Rica!! The people and culture have been wonderful and the scenery and wildlife are incredible. The education I received was amazing. I have learned so much in the three months I was here. Before this program I was really scared to speak up in class and try talk to people in Spanish. I feel so comfortable now having conversations with and learning and understanding from native speakers. I think this program has made greatly prepared me to graduate with a Spanish major and to speak Spanish more comfortably in the workplace and beyond. I felt like the educators, directors, and the Tico family I lived with really cared about my health and well-being. They were always kind and willing to help with anything I needed. I have made so many wonderful memories in the time I was here. I went on this trip with new people and have come out with lifetime friends. The experiences learning and exploring the countryside, cities, beaches, mountains, volcanoes and all of the other amazing places Costa Rica has to offer will stick with me for the rest of my life. This trip has changed my life for the better, and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn Spanish.

Nicole

Nicole Hopp Review

I honestly had the most wonderful experience in Costa Rica. My host family was great. I loved working with the children and mothers at La Posada de Belen. And the cultural activities were wonderful I wouldn't change a single thing about my adventure in Costa Rica. I know that there were a few groups that had bad experiences with host family so maybe go into detail with the Host families about what they are expected to do when they take in and international student.

Emma

Sol Education Costa Rica

I had never been out of the country on my own before traveling to Costa Rica last spring semester with Sol Education. I was nervous, especially for the home stay, but my time spent abroad was one of the most incredible experiences of my life and something that has impacted my day to day since I returned. My host family was generous and kind, my program directors were supportive and amazing resources, and the friends that I met through the program changed my life. Throughout my four months in Costa Rica, I attended regular classes, both focusing on the Spanish language with students in my program, as well as classes with locals at the Universidad Latina. After class and on weekends I spent time with the people in my program, either in formal organized activities by Sol or extra trips planned by my friends and I. I am so thankful to Sol for the opportunity to get to know a different culture and immerse myself in a variety of experiences I would never had dreamed possible in the U.S.

Jacob

My Experience

At the end of this trip, I told everybody that this was the greatest three weeks of my life. By far the best decision that I have ever made was studying abroad with Sol Education Abroad in Costa Rica. I began the program not knowing to much spanish but that changed exponentially by the end of the trip. I plan to pursue an internship in Costa Rica because I fell in love with the country and I owe this great experience to Sol Education Abroad and cannot thank my program directors enough for this opportunity.

N/a
Sarah

Like a Family

Sol study abroad was an amazing experience and being in high school still, people in the program did a fantastic job with helping me along the way. I became a family with my host family and I always felt welcome and safe. The director made one on one relations with her students and truly cared for us. I had great teachers, enhancing my spanish language and culture by challenging me to learn and broaden my horizons. Also, the excursions were some of the best times of my life.

Tess

Truly Pura Vida

The SOL abroad program in Costa Rica is phenomenal.
The Staff: The program directors are amazing. They offer 24/7 support for anything from homesickness to difficult schoolwork to travel recommendations to the flu. They are personally invested in making sure that the students have what they need and that they get everything they can out of the program.
The Students: While I'm sure this varies depending on the group, my particular bunch of students got along great. The students come from all over the Unites States. As the directors put it, each student is a unique ingredient in the "SOL soup." This program brings together people with different experiences and backgrounds, and gives them the space to explore this new culture together.
The Country: Costa Rica is unlike any place on earth. The people are warm and welcoming, and "Pura Vida" ("Pure Life") is not just a catch phrase: it truly is their way of living. For a $20 round trip ticket, you can travel anywhere in the country, going from vibrant city streets to virgin rain forests to sleepy beach towns in under an hour. Costa Rica is a place of infinite exploration, and everything is easily accessible and often extremely affordable (especially if you don't mind staying in hostels).
The Excursions: SOL picks a variety of excursions and cultural activities that presents the students with the best of the country. The activities and trips are well organized, and they are enriching experiences for all those that chose to participate. The directors ensure that the students have all of the necessary knowledge needed to gain everything they can from each outing (a testament to their devotion to the experience of the students).

Taryn

SOL Education Abroad Review

My study abroad experience with SOL education abroad was an adventure of a lifetime! All of my directors were amazing and provided us with a bunch of opportunities to maximize our experience. My host family was very welcoming and made me feel like part of their wonderful family. I made some really great friends that I still keep in touch with and plan to forever. Not only were the classes fun and engaging, but the excursions allowed us to see and experience so much of Costa Rica. Saying goodbye to the directors, my host family, new friends, and Costa Rica was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I will never forget my summer abroad with SOL!

Gabrielle

Disfrutando de la Pura Vida

I was never sold on the idea of study abroad because of the price tag, but now having done it, I can 200% say, it's worth it. Traveling by yourself or just with friends/family, you will not get the experience of living with locals, meeting other students with similar interests from all over the country, and doing the cultural activities as a group and guided by wonderful directors and Ticos.
I had an amazing Mama Tica who blessed me (she's Catholic like the majority of Ticos) every single time I left the house. Along with Costa Rican food, she made me pancakes and spaghetti, to try to make me feel at home.
My program was led by some incredible directors, Yessenia and Angie, who you can tell love their country, and love showing it to us students. They encourage us to buy products from the locals to support families rather than corporations, which I love. They also give great recommendations for activities and places to go on our free afternoons and weekends.
The excursions to La Fortuna, Manuel Antonio, and white water rafting were so much fun. Costa Rica is a stunning country, and I couldn't have picked a better program.
Quick recommendations: if you go in the summer, I would recommend a reusable poncho, because honestly umbrellas just don't cut it--my shorts were soaked every time. Take lots of tank tops! The humidity is insane, and you'll want to wear the least amount possible. I wore Chacos every day, and I was so glad. They're waterproof, and super comfortable for walking to/from school and around the city. The classes have homework every night, but the professors are very nice and understanding. They know you're there to explore too, so don't stress if you can't get EVERY single thing completed. Most of all, just get out and enjoy every second. You're going to meet a ton of great people and have some really fun adventures.

My only wish is to leave earlier or the day before for the weekend excursions so there's more time to explore. We only ended up with about 45 minutes at La Fortuna, which was unfortunate because it's such a beautiful place, and there are other trails that I'm sure are fun.
Natalie

Amazing Summer Experience in Costa Rica

I really enjoyed my time in Costa Rica with Sol. I tried a bunch of new things (foods and activities), I spent some awesome time in nature, I met some really cool people, I lived with a kind host family, and I improved my Spanish. I really appreciated that the first several weekends had arranged travel, but then the weekends after that were open for us to travel as we pleased. This arrangement worked well because it gave us time to get acclimated to our surroundings before sending us off on our own. By the end of my time in Costa Rica, I felt that I had grown a lot in independence and courage. I was more willing explore new places on my own, and this is a skill that will serve me well in the rest of my life.
My favorite memory of my trip is swimming in the bottom of La Fortuna waterfall. It was so gorgeous that it almost didn't seem like real life. I'll never forget it.

There are very few things about this program that could be improved. My only suggestion is that I think it would be cool if there were a few more cultural activities available after your first session is done.
Amy

Winter Break in Costa Rica with SOL Education Abroad

I spent 3 weeks of my winter break in Costa Rica with SOL Education Abroad. We spent New Year's Eve there, one of the coolest experiences I had on the trip.

We went to la casa de la hija de Mama Tica where we met her daughters, son-in-law, and grandchildren. They only live about 2 minutes away. The house was still decorated for Navidad. Era bellísimo y la familia tambien. Kylie and I felt welcome at Mama Tica’s daughter’s house, the whole family greeted us with a kiss on the cheek which is customary in Costa Rica, but still much appreciated. We ate dinner at about 10:00 at night. I had steak and chicken on tortillas with chimichurri. Interestingly, the chimichurri wasn’t like the sauce I had tried before en los Estados Unidos. It was chopped tomatoes with onions and cilantro, but still delicioso!

We counted down for el año nuevo and Mama Tica literally jumped out of her seat and ran out of the room when we reached zero! We followed her outside to watch fireworks and celebrate in the street. I’ll never forget the view. We stood halfway up a steep hill overlooking downtown Heredia and San José. The lights of two cities were joined by sparks of fireworks on the mountain. The night air was cool and a couple other families in the neighborhood celebrated with drums and firecrackers. We came back inside to have “gelatina” which is jello and rum cake with caramel vanilla ice cream.

Soon we would return home, eager to get some sleep. Before we went to bed, Mama Tica told Kylie and I that we were gems, so close to in such a short amount of time. She is so happy we are able to communicate well with her. She drew the sign of the cross on our foreheads with her thumb, as she does most mornings before we leave the house, and off to bed we went. I hope to stay in touch with Mama Tica for as long as possible! She taught me so much Spanish, sometimes we would talk for hours after dinner (which was always delicious.) This was just one of the many meaningful experiences I had in Costa Rica, I'd be able to fill a whole book with the rest.

I can't even think of something they need to improve on! Everything was so meticulously planned and a lot of detailed info and advice was given to everyone along the way.
Aubrey

Was it a dream?

My classes and my teachers have been incredible, and I have already learned so much in my short time there. I would like to become a Sol Student Ambassador because I want to help other students feel excited and empowered by their decision to further their education because I believe it is truly one of the best choices one can make to influence their future, . Also, my experience at Costa Rica has had such a positive impact on my life that I am thankful for the chance to give my time and resources to all the program does.

Erin

Host family the highlight

In May I returned to the U.S. after four months abroad in Heredia, Costa Rica, a sweet, lively town about an hour by bus from the nation's capital, San Jose. I studied with Sol Education Abroad, and I loved it. The directors made sure that we were more than tourists: at every opportunity, we talked about the social, political, economic, and cultural situations of the areas we visited. I spent my semester parasailing, white-water rafting, waterfall rappelling, hiking, and zip-lining...all while taking five classes and improving my Spanish by leaps and bounds. (Parents, never fear! I did indeed study plenty, and one of my five classes was with locals. That's right, in Spanish for Spanish speakers, dealing with the Costa Rican government structure, with Spanish tests and Spanish presentations! Was it hard? YES. Was it worth it? YES.)

My Spanish improved big time, especially since I lived with a host family. I still talk to my host mom, and I have plans to return in a few years. My host family's open arms are just a microcosm of the way that all of Costa Rica welcomed us not simply as tourists, but rather students of their language and their culture. I had conversations with bus drivers and taxi drivers and hotel clerks alike, all whom were impressed by my desire to communicate in Spanish and excited to share their opinion on the best beaches or the most beautiful can't-miss views in the country.

I could talk about my time abroad for a really long time. I wrote a blog if you want to know more (equaltohismajesty.wordpress.com), but from volunteer work to typical meals to beach weekends with the girls to Holy Week processions that filled the streets, I can't do justice to how my time in Costa Rica with Sol changed me. Basically, I have to tell you this: just go! You won't be sorry; I know I wasn't.

Encourage students to use Spanish all the time, consistently throughout the whole semester. Directors were good about that at first, but by the halfway point, most students were speaking Spanish only with native speakers.
Morrissa

Semester Abroad with my Solmates

Wow! I don't know where to start. My semester abroad with Sol Education in Heredia, Costa Rica was absolutely perfect. To begin with, the length was ideal (a little over 3 months with start and end dates almost identical to my semester at my home university). The homestay was an amazing way to learn about the culture and really master Spanish. The directors help you every step of the way as well! They plan activities for almost every weekend, and give suggestions for free weekends. Also, I feel like I was really able to bond with my fellow students because we all were able to take classes together. Heredia especially is an ideal location to study abroad because it has everything a large city has to offer but is close to more tranquil and jungly destinations as well. I would highly suggest using Sol Education for your study abroad semester, summer, week, month, etc. Down to the airport pick up and drop off, Sol did not fail to impress.

It is hard to find faults with the program itself. If anything, I would say even more excursions. That being said there were plenty to keep you entertained throughout the entire 3 months in Costa Rica.
Laura

Best Study Abroad Program I've Ever Found!

Studying abroad with Sol Education changed my life! The staff are dedicated to the mission of traveling with cultural awareness, giving back to the community where you've been given the opportunity to expand your world views, and diving deep into a understanding of a language your passionate about learning. I will never forget the experiences I had visiting a off the grid permaculture farm that I later had the opportunity to volunteer with. I'm grateful every day that I found Sol Education and think about the people I met and experiences I had every day.

Everyone needs to do this program. There was nothing about it that I would change!

About Sol Education Abroad

Sol Education Abroad (SOL) provides affordable study abroad opportunities in Costa Rica, Argentina, Spain, and Mexico. Sol Education Abroad prides itself in providing hands-on service to ensure an enriching experience abroad. It’s this unique...